NYJetsFan.com Forums: Keller- Needs To Play More - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:55 AM) Like how do you get blown out by a team that didn't practice while you had 2 weeks to prepare?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:55 AM) That kind of stuff may force Woody to make the big changes and fire everyone
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:55 AM) John Idzik has handled the QB situation terribly. 2 times he pretty much handed the job to his draft pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:56 AM) Besides Sheldon Richardson, his drafts have been awful.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:57 AM) Maybe Woody will clean house and go all out for Jim Harbaugh, that probably won't happen though but it would be a franchise changer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:07 AM) Harbaugh would be amazing...but because it makes sense it won't be done
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:07 PM) Rocking the atletico kit today 4-0 THE RAUL INFLUENCE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:15 PM) Haha you should make that into some kind of logo and put it in your sig
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:15 PM) Sig***
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:19 PM) TEH RAUL INFLUENCE
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:29 PM) LUDOGRETS
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:34 PM) LUDOGORETS
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) TEH IZDIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) SUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) FOR
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) THE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) DUCK
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 November 2014 - 09:32 PM) One of these days one of you are going to type it too fast and say "Suck the Duck".
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 09:41 PM) Hahaha
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:45 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:04 AM) TEH POINT
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 11:14 AM) happy thanksgiving everyone!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:53 PM) I hope Dirty Sanchez gets beat by the Cowgirls even though I would prefer to see a tie so neither team wins
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:00 PM) Look at what a great system can do for a QB, Sanchez looks like a different QB with the Eagles.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:00 PM) Scanning the field and making quick decisions, I like how Chip has Sanchez throwing on the run which he was always great at.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:01 PM) I really hope we finally bring in a good offensive minded coach.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:45 PM) I really can't wait for this season to be done and over with
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Keller- Needs To Play More

#1 User is offline   CJBallar01 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

Rookie TE Dustin Keller having trouble connecting with Brett Favre
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 17th 2008, 10:07 AM

Simmons/News Brett Favre and Dustin Keller haven't been able to connect as the rookie tight end has just one catch in the Jets' first two games.

It was one of the feel-good moments in the preseason, Dustin Keller catching his first touchdown as a pro and later receiving the football as a souvenir, autographed, from the legend who threw it. "He's got tremendous talent," Brett Favre said that night of the rookie tight end. "I hope he has a lot more of those."

That informal ball presentation was their last significant hook-up.

In two games, Keller has had only one pass thrown in his direction, a 19-yard completion in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Patriots. He was an afterthought in the game - used in only 14 of 49 plays - and that's hard to believe, considering the playmaking ability he showed in the preseason and the state of the offense.

The Jets wanted Keller so badly that they traded back into the first round, selecting him 30th, but they've failed to integrate him into the offense. Maybe it's the coaches' fault or maybe Keller isn't ready for an expanded role. Whatever it is, they need to get him up to speed because of his speed.

He's a wide receiver in a tight end's body, a matchup nightmare for any defense that covers him with an in-the-box safety or a linebacker. That is what the Jets told us in the summer, but they're letting a potential weapon collect dust in the gun rack.

On Monday, Eric Mangini hinted that Keller still is prone to mental mistakes. He lumped the other top draft picks, linebacker Vernon Gholston and cornerback Dwight Lowery, into the same category.

"You know, there is some growth with these young guys," Mangini said.

Fair enough, but if a rookie has a unique skill set, he should be on the field. Lowery is starting and playing well. Keller should be more involved.

Against the Patriots, Keller was deployed primarily with three wide receivers and one back. If the Jets use him more in the base package, splitting him out wide, it should create the desired matchup.

Next up: the Chargers (0-2), a made-to-order opponent for Keller. The Chargers can't cover anybody (597 passing yards allowed), least of all tight ends. In the season opener, the Panthers' Dante Rosario made seven receptions for 96 yards, including the game-winning grab as time expired. The Broncos' Tony Scheffler ripped them for six catches, 64 yards and two touchdowns.

Historically, it takes time for tight ends to develop. Of the 12 first-rounders since 2000, the only impact rookie was former Giant Jeremy Shockey, who made the Pro Bowl in 2002. It's a tough position to master because of the varied responsibilities, but the Jets should let Keller do what he does best: Catch and run.

Pat on the back

On Monday, Bill Belichick had some nice things to say about the Jets, especially their defense. That he provided unsolicited praise for his former team is a rarity but he singled out several players and raved about NT Kris Jenkins.

"Jenkins is a force in there," Belichick said. "There is no doubt about it."

Jenkins was so dominant that he made his predecessor, Dewayne Robertson, look like a jayvee nose tackle. Jenkins recorded six solo tackles, one sack, two tackles-for-loss and disrupted countless other plays.

After two games, the Jets are allowing only 3.1 yards per rush (fifth in the league), down from 4.2 in 2007. So far, Jenkins is worth his weight in gold - all 360 pounds - and that's no bullion.

Stuckey on you

Brett Favre's most reliable target? Try WR Chansi Stuckey, who began the season with no career receptions. Favre has attempted seven passes to Stuckey, resulting in six completions - including three third-down conversions and a celebrated fourth-down prayer in Miami....Has anybody seen WR Brad Smith? He's still looking for his first catch.

Gholston just a ghost after disappearing act

Vernon Gholston's only memorable moment against the Patriots came when he wasn't supposed to be on the field, resulting in a 12-men-on-the-field penalty.

Removed from the nickel package, he appeared in only 12 of 59 defensive snaps and made no tackles. "I wouldn't say it's disappointing," said the linebacker, the sixth pick in this year's draft. "When the starters get tired or hurt and they need me to come in, I try to act as if I'm a starter."

He didn't take his role reduction as a demotion; he said the Jets used a different nickel package, designed specifically for the Patriots.

Gholston is off to a slow start as compared to, say, Patriots rookie LB Jerod Mayo (10th pick this year), who hasn't missed a play in two games.

But Gholston is learning a new position, which is slowing his growth.

http://www.nydailyne...e_c.html?page=0

#2 User is offline   The Reverend Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (CJBallar01 @ Sep 18 2008, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On Monday, Eric Mangini hinted that Keller still is prone to mental mistakes. He lumped the other top draft picks, linebacker Vernon Gholston and cornerback Dwight Lowery, into the same category.

"You know, there is some growth with these young guys," Mangini said.

Fair enough, but if a rookie has a unique skill set, he should be on the field. Lowery is starting and playing well. Keller should be more involved.

Wow. They are absolutely right. How is Keller supposed to grow if he's not on the field, Mangini?
Sal Paolantonio commenting on the difference in the Ryan and Mangini atmospheres in the building:
"It's like going from Alcatraz to Dorney Park."

It is better to destroy than create what is meaningless, so the picture will not be finished.
erikcoleman#26

#3 User is offline   GreenRebel Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

I'm a little surprised that they are not using Keller more often. He seemed like a player that would step in right away and contribute. I'm not saying he should be in every play but definitely more than he is right now.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   CJBallar01 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (GreenRebel @ Sep 18 2008, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a little surprised that they are not using Keller more often. He seemed like a player that would step in right away and contribute. I'm not saying he should be in every play but definitely more than he is right now.

Exactly

#5 User is offline   Amen Icon

• Head Writer / 2008 Best Mod Award
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

It's difficult, because between the 20s, some plays seem to be going fairly well. If we increase his growth, we'll ask "Where's Cotchery?"
For all intents and purposes, the team is running the ball well when they're not letting penalties kill drives. And when Favre is in a jam, Cotchery and Stuckey are the first to emerge. There are only but so many plays, y'know?

#6 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

I think ball distrubution is lacking. Keller probably has problems with the audibles. Thats usually what it is. Like if he's packaged to run a pattern but the defense is bringing heat (or an overload) to Keller side. Alot of Q.B's will audible to have Keller cancel his route and stay in and block. Because all through mini camp Keller was tearing it up. Schotty is big with TE's (see Antonio Gates) so there is definitely a problem there. Now whethers thats Favres fault for not finding him or it's Kellers fault for not finding the soft spots in the zone, I don't know.

Keller should lining up as a WR in the slot if he's having trouble as a TE right now until he gets comfortable.

Last but not least. I'm buying a Kris Jenkins jersey! biggrin.gif

#7 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

Farve ain't seeing the whole field until he checks the photos on the side line .its time for Jenkins to host a toast and jelly breakfast with the Offense.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#8 User is offline   ganggreen_ewok Icon

• 06 M. I. P. Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Strolling on shady streets, you know the usual

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Sep 18 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keller should lining up as a WR in the slot if he's having trouble as a TE right now until he gets comfortable.

And risk having Favre lose his connection with Chansi? How many 4 split out sets will we run a game so we can have Coles, Cotch, chansi and Keller out on the field

View Postganggreen_ewok, on 13 June 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

"And once again, the meow became a roar"

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users