NYJetsFan.com Forums: Sporting News : Updated Mock Draft - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:39 PM) So yeah umm anyone know if the game is going to broadcast on national TV tomorrow?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:52 PM) From what I have read it will be on in the NY and Buffalo areas as well as Ticket. That's it
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:57 PM) well that fucks everyone who is outside of the area
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) Sanchez 3 straight 300+ yards passing games
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:06 PM) I have no faith in Idzik hiring a good HC or signing/drafting good players.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:28 PM) I saw a old dude and his wife at a pizza shop tonight. He was wearing an old timers service hat. I picked up his tab.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:46 PM) FIRE COUGHLIN
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:15 PM) I love how there are so many rookie WRs beasting it in the deepest WR class in a long time, yet our genius GM couldn't land one.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:15 PM) My guy Odell Beckham torching the Cowboys
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:17 PM) Look at this catch he made, sick https://mtc.cdn.vine...P67xwaORGsCqtLF
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:09 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...sharpnosepuffer
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:09 PM) Another link
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:20 AM) Your guy Odell lol
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:20 AM) I ravedddd about him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:26 AM) he was the guy I wanted most out of the draft. I knew we had no shot at Watkins or Evans.
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 08:59 AM) Pretty sure i remember talking to you about him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:33 AM) yeah we talked about him, I remember you loved him too. When I started paying attention to potential draft guys he was the guy I wanted most with our 1st round pick. This was before he was talked about as a legit first rounder, then he skyrocketed up the boards and ended up going too high for us.
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 09:37 AM) I was and am huge on Jarvis Landry too
santana Icon : (Today, 11:04 AM) I knew about odell since grade school
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 11:12 AM) You don't follow football.
santana Icon : (Today, 11:57 AM) I was raving about him all 2012
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 11:59 AM) Thanks for the fantasy win bum.
santana Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) you are welcome
santana Icon : (Today, 12:04 PM) i'm happy with my performance i fielded a great team. rain in oakland screwed me a bit as did the pack vs the vikings
santana Icon : (Today, 12:04 PM) just not in the cards
santana Icon : (Today, 12:05 PM) I enjoyed how you second guessed your self twice with murray and mckinnon
santana Icon : (Today, 12:06 PM) also fleener off the wire lulz
santana Icon : (Today, 12:27 PM) 70 degrees out going to go hit 18 holes and then catch mnf at the super dome
santana Icon : (Today, 12:27 PM) I AM THE TABLE
santana Icon : (Today, 12:27 PM) ....frown face
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:48 PM) You're ripping my decisions and you still lost.
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:59 PM) I do feel your pain though. Would of beaten everyone. Especially Mr Jet
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 01:04 PM) And i liked your move to stop my defensive streaming and you picked up all shit defences
santana Icon : (Today, 01:26 PM) you are reading too much into the defenses. i'm not that smart. and they accumulated because i had bad waiver position so they never dropped on players i was trying to pick up.
santana Icon : (Today, 01:27 PM) I am ripping your decisions because they made me lol during the week
santana Icon : (Today, 01:28 PM) you scrambled to plug all your holes and I had my lineup set almost two weeks ago. its all good though odb and forte came through
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 01:31 PM) Lol you mean two good players played well? It wasn't an anomaly
santana Icon : (Today, 01:32 PM) yeah thats what i said
santana Icon : (Today, 01:33 PM) I blame cobb and the packers d also the rain in oakland. I think I already said this
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 01:34 PM) I mean... you caught me on about the best possible time. So you can use whatever excuses
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 01:34 PM) You have a nice team though
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 01:34 PM) My QB had 11 points and I had to use a backup RB. And still won.
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 01:35 PM) It'll be interesting to see how the season finishes. Alot of the top teams still play each other again
gmany3k Icon : (Today, 03:16 PM) anyone is this going to be nationaly televised game ?
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sporting News : Updated Mock Draft

#1 User is offline   TimmyLamJones Icon

• "06 Top 10 Donator"/06 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

MOCK DRAFT: ROUND 1
PICK TEAM PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1 (1) Raiders JaMarcus Russell* QB LSU
Owner/GM Al Davis loves Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr.'s electrifying speed but should realize his team is in desperate need of a quarterback.
2 (2) Lions Joe Thomas T Wis.
Offensive coordinator Mike Martz knows the importance of having a strong line and although Thomas is not as good as the Rams' Orlando Pace, a former Martz player, he projects as a solid NFL left tackle.
3 (3) Browns Updated Adrian Peterson* RB Oklahoma
(pick subject to coin flip) If Thomas is off the board, Browns officials will debate long and hard between Peterson and Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch but should go with Peterson in the hope his great talent can be harnessed.
4 (4) Buccaneers Updated Calvin Johnson* WR Georgia Tech
(pick subject to coin flip) The Bucs need an offensive spark; Johnson has the strength, hands, toughness and character to immediately boost their passing attack.
5 (5) Cardinals Updated Jamaal Anderson* DE Arkansas
New coach Ken Whisenhunt would prefer to get Thomas at this spot to anchor the offensive line for the next decade. Instead, the Cardinals should take the best defensive end in the draft.
6 (6) Redskins Gaines Adams DE Clemson
The Redskins have talent on defense but lack an explosive edge rusher who consistently can threaten the corner.
7 (7) Vikings Updated Ted Ginn Jr.* WR Ohio St.
The Vikings need offensive firepower, and the super-fast Ginn would give them a downfield threat who makes big plays all over the field.
8 (8) Texans Alan Branch* DT Michigan
The Texans should continue to rebuild their defense. Branch is versatile and could line up in a variety of spots along the line.
9 (9) Dolphins Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
New Dolphins coach Cam Cameron might go with this star athlete because in two seasons Okoye, only 19, will be the best defensive tackle from this year's class.
10 (10) Falcons Aaron Ross CB Texas
Falcons GM Rich McKay hopes to get either of the two elite defensive ends -- Anderson or Adams -- at this spot. If both are gone, McKay should take the tall and athletic Ross to work opposite DeAngelo Hall.
11 (11) 49ers Leon Hall CB Michigan
The 49ers' secondary is inconsistent, and Hall is productive and tough.
12 (12) Bills Zach Miller* TE Arizona St.
The Bills have great young talent at running back (Willis McGahee) and wide receiver (Lee Evans). Miller would give quarterback J.P. Losman yet another big-play option.
13 (13) Rams Paul Posluszny OLB Penn State
Rams officials would prefer to draft an edge pass rusher, but none figure to be available at No. 13. Instead, the team should take the top linebacker on the board.
14 (14) Panthers Greg Olsen* TE Miami (FL)
Panthers coaches have concerns at safety and would consider LSU's LaRon Landry if available, but the chance to finally add an explosive tight end to the offense makes too much sense.
15 (15) Steelers Justin Blalock G Texas
Steelers officials will debate long and hard between drafting a cornerback or offensive lineman here but should take the athletically gifted Blalock, who only needs to improve his technique to become a very good NFL player.
16 (16) Packers Updated Marshawn Lynch* RB Cal
Packers officials want a running back and will debate long and hard about whether to take Lynch or Auburn's Kenny Irons. The team should go with Lynch because Irons has a slight frame and might struggle to hold up to an NFL pounding. Ohio State's Antonio Pittman is in the conversation, too.
17 (17) Jaguars Jarvis Moss* DE Florida
The Jaguars must upgrade their outside pass rush, and Moss is an athletic and explosive young defensive end.
18 (18) Bengals DeMarcus Tyler DT NC State
The Bengals must improve their interior defensive line, and the raw Tyler would give them a talented young lineman who could play in the near future.
19 (19) Titans Updated Dwayne Bowe WR LSU
The Titans, with Vince Young at the helm, improved greatly down the stretch in '06 despite mediocre wide receivers. Bowe is built like a Greek god and would give Young a major weapon outside as he continues to develop.
20 (20) Giants Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse
The Giants have a surprising number of needs and might go for Tiki Barber's replacement here. However, Jackson has good size, athleticism and versatility and is too valuable to pass up.
21 (21) Broncos Adam Carriker DT Nebraska
Broncos coach/GM Mike Shanahan will go back and forth between a cornerback and a defensive end at this spot, but Carriker's shining performance at the Senior Bowl might be the difference.
22 (22) Cowboys LaRon Landry S LSU
The Cowboys are desperate for an NFL-quality safety to pair with Roy Williams. Landry would be able to cover deep while Williams attacks the run.
23 (23) Chiefs Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
The Chiefs are expected to go for defense in the first round. If Quinn falls into his lap, GM Carl Peterson won't pass on getting his quarterback of the future to replace Trent Green, who turns 37 in July.
24 (24) Patriots Anthony Spencer DE Purdue
(from Seattle) Patriots coach Bill Belichick and GM Scott Pioli love versatile defenders, and Spencer could play outside linebacker or inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme or defensive end when the defensive shifts to a 4-3 look.

25 (25) Jets Updated Antonio Pittman* RB Ohio St.
It would be a mild surprise to see the Jets take a running back here, but Pittman is versatile and tough enough to be a feature back. It also would allow Leon Washington to remain a change-of-pace back and create quite the one-two punch for the Jets.

26 (26) Eagles Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)
The Eagles have a gaping hole alongside Brian Dawkins. Team officials will debate between Meriweather and Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse and could gamble on Meriweather because of his on-field impact in all aspects of defense.
27 (27) Saints Daymeion Hughes CB Cal
The Saints need help in the secondary, and Hughes is a tough and instinctive cornerback with good tools.
28 (28) Patriots Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.
Star cornerback Asante Samuel is an unrestricted free agent, so the Patriots could go for his replacement with one of their two first-round picks. Even if the team re-signs Samuel, McCauley still makes sense because Ellis Hobbs is short and more suited to be a nickel back. It would be somewhat of a gamble because McCauley had a terrible senior season and even worse Senior Bowl.
29 (29) Ravens Josh Beekman G Boston Coll.
The Ravens' interior offensive line was inconsistent in '06, and Beekman would challenge for a starting job as a rookie.
30 (30) Chargers Reggie Nelson* S Florida
The Chargers have struggled to get consistent play at both safety positions, and Nelson is an instinctive playmaker who makes plays all over the field.
31 (31) Colts Ray McDonald DT Florida
The Colts, despite a strong run in the playoffs, still have problems in the middle of their defense. McDonald has the versatility to be productive at defensive end or defensive tackle.
32 (32) Bears Levi Brown T Penn State
The Bears already have a great team, but adding youth and athleticism along the offensive line is a priority. Brown is inconsistent but has the raw tools to be an elite player.

#2 User is offline   kobeskool Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

wow they have brady quinn fallin all the way to the cheifs i dont think that will happen the lions or browns will draft him i also dont think we are going to draft pitman.

if brady quinn happens to fall to us (which is like a 1/100 chance of happening) should we take him?

#3 User is offline   J-E-T-S 4417 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

No way were gonna draft pittman.

#4 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

Horrible mock. Brady Quinn doesn't fall out of the top 5 let alone the Top 20.

And what's with the love affair of Jamarcus Russell? He's no where near the QB that Brady Quinn is. That's an obvious fact. Drafting someone first overall because they are big and have a big arm... I don't know. I said the same thing about Vince Young though and they picked him over Leinart. I've watched Russell play a whole lot this year considering my 2nd family loves that team being from NO. He's not that good.

Problem is Brady Quinn plays on a team that's sucked for the past decade until he arrived with Charlie Weis. They still have a shitty defense. LSU has been pretty damn good for a very long time. It's gonna come down to pro days and individual workouts but I'd be surprised to see any "logical" person take Jamarcus Russell over Brady Quinn. Hopefully this Kiffin guy knows better than to continue to let Al Davis ruin the Raiders.

#5 User is offline   TimmyLamJones Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

Sporting news "break down" of Brady Quinn - pre-combines. Most critical view I have read on Quinn from all publications

#3rd best QB after Russell and Kolb

#45th best overall prospect

War Room analysis

Arm strength: Shows a decent arm. When doing everything correctly in terms of striding into throws and following through, makes most throws. Lacks the big arm, however, to make intermediate-to-deep throws with the zip to fit passes into tight spots. Grade: 6.0

Accuracy/delivery: Is very accurate within 10 yards, consistently getting the ball to receivers in good spots. Beyond 20 yards, accuracy drastically dips; struggles to both get zip on passes and throw on the money at the same time. Has a quick and compact delivery, showing great technique. Grade: 7.0

Field vision: Is adept at finding open receivers and going through progressions. Doesn't read defenses at the same level; underneath coverage defenders tip and get their hands on too many passes. Grade: 6.5

Running ability: Is a sneaky athlete. Isn't a big-play scrambler when tucking and running, but moves well enough in the pocket to avoid sacks and occasionally run for a first down. Grade: 6.0

Intangibles: Is a smart player, but doesn't consistently display good intangibles. Level of confidence and quality of leadership tend to go hand in hand with how the team is performing. When winning, is a vocal leader. When losing, doesn't take command and lead team through tough times. Grade: 6.5

Bottom line: Quinn came to Notre Dame with high expectations and improved each season, although he never performed at a high level against the best competition. He has the tools to be a good NFL starter, but he is not there yet. He was wise to stay for his senior year and continue to learn from Charlie Weis and further develop his football IQ. Quinn will start early in his NFL career because of how high he will be drafted and how smart and mentally prepared he is, but there are major doubts about him succeeding at a high level for the long term.

#6 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (TimmyLamJones @ Feb 1 2007, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sporting news "break down" of Brady Quinn - pre-combines. Most critical view I have read on Quinn from all publications

#3rd best QB after Russell and Kolb

#45th best overall prospect

War Room analysis

Arm strength: Shows a decent arm. When doing everything correctly in terms of striding into throws and following through, makes most throws. Lacks the big arm, however, to make intermediate-to-deep throws with the zip to fit passes into tight spots. Grade: 6.0

Accuracy/delivery: Is very accurate within 10 yards, consistently getting the ball to receivers in good spots. Beyond 20 yards, accuracy drastically dips; struggles to both get zip on passes and throw on the money at the same time. Has a quick and compact delivery, showing great technique. Grade: 7.0

Field vision: Is adept at finding open receivers and going through progressions. Doesn't read defenses at the same level; underneath coverage defenders tip and get their hands on too many passes. Grade: 6.5

Running ability: Is a sneaky athlete. Isn't a big-play scrambler when tucking and running, but moves well enough in the pocket to avoid sacks and occasionally run for a first down. Grade: 6.0

Intangibles: Is a smart player, but doesn't consistently display good intangibles. Level of confidence and quality of leadership tend to go hand in hand with how the team is performing. When winning, is a vocal leader. When losing, doesn't take command and lead team through tough times. Grade: 6.5

Bottom line: Quinn came to Notre Dame with high expectations and improved each season, although he never performed at a high level against the best competition. He has the tools to be a good NFL starter, but he is not there yet. He was wise to stay for his senior year and continue to learn from Charlie Weis and further develop his football IQ. Quinn will start early in his NFL career because of how high he will be drafted and how smart and mentally prepared he is, but there are major doubts about him succeeding at a high level for the long term.

I'd love to hear why they think Russell is better. Do you have that review?

#7 User is offline   TimmyLamJones Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Do you have that review?

#1 rated QB
#1 rated player

War Room analysis

Arm strength:
Has the best arm in football -- college or pro. [/u]When striding into throws, delivers them with great zip on deep downfield. Makes every throw, and fits passes into tight spots. Maintains strong arm and zip even when throwing flat-footed and sidearm. Grade: 9.0

Accuracy/delivery: When not striding or when throwing flat-footed, tends to just flick the ball in a three-fourths motion and thus his accuracy suffers. Gets rid of the ball quickly, but isn't consistently accurate because of inconsistent footwork and motion. Grade: 8.0

Field vision: Sees the whole field well. Goes through progressions to find open receivers. When forced from pocket, excels at keeping his head up and surveying the field while scrambling. Grade: 7.5

Running ability: Shows the athleticism to make big plays as a scrambler, but won't be confused with Michael Vick. Size and strength help when running through arm/grab tackles. Is powerful enough to break tackles. Grade: 7.5

Intangibles: Shows surprising pocket poise, especially in key situations. Was inconsistent early in his career, but showed great maturation in junior season. Grade: 9.0

Bottom line:
Russell is a big, efficient and big-armed quarterback with the athleticism to keep plays alive and run to move the chains. He must improve his footwork to be a consistent NFL passer, but after a season or two as a backup to improve his technique, he has the potential to be a top-flight NFL starter for many years.

#8 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (TimmyLamJones @ Feb 1 2007, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#1 rated QB
#1 rated player

War Room analysis
Arm strength:
Has the best arm in football -- college or pro. [/u]When striding into throws, delivers them with great zip on deep downfield. Makes every throw, and fits passes into tight spots. Maintains strong arm and zip even when throwing flat-footed and sidearm. Grade: 9.0

Accuracy/delivery: When not striding or when throwing flat-footed, tends to just flick the ball in a three-fourths motion and thus his accuracy suffers. Gets rid of the ball quickly, but isn't consistently accurate because of inconsistent footwork and motion. Grade: 8.0

Field vision: Sees the whole field well. Goes through progressions to find open receivers. When forced from pocket, excels at keeping his head up and surveying the field while scrambling. Grade: 7.5

Running ability: Shows the athleticism to make big plays as a scrambler, but won't be confused with Michael Vick. Size and strength help when running through arm/grab tackles. Is powerful enough to break tackles. Grade: 7.5

Intangibles: Shows surprising pocket poise, especially in key situations. Was inconsistent early in his career, but showed great maturation in junior season. Grade: 9.0

Bottom line:
Russell is a big, efficient and big-armed quarterback with the athleticism to keep plays alive and run to move the chains. He must improve his footwork to be a consistent NFL passer, but after a season or two as a backup to improve his technique, he has the potential to be a top-flight NFL starter for many years.

I don't agree with the high grade on accuracy and delivery or intangibles but hey, what the hell do I know.

Thanks a bunch.

While we're at it though, how about a review on some of the guys the Jets are interested in: Tony Hunt, Adam Carriker, Michael Bush... that'd be sweet.

#9 User is offline   TimmyLamJones Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

BUSH : 5th ranked RB, 46 ranked overall

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is big and strong. Keeps feet moving to absorb hard hits and keep on going. Breaks tackles. Shows good instincts to follow blockers and make correct cuts. Is surprisingly quick and agile. Stops and starts quickly enough to elude would-be tacklers in open field. Shows great hands to make tough catches. Is a good pass blocker; despite so-so technique, always picks right man.

Weaknesses: Has struggled to stay healthy. Broke tibia Sept. 2 and missed the rest of the '06 season. Runs upright too often, taking too many big hits and hindering ability to break tackles. Lacks the burst and speed to be a big-play threat. Will get caught from behind in the NFL. Lacks the burst to be as effective on cutback runs. When there is no hole, tends to slow up and become tentative.

Bottom line: Bush is unique; although he has the size and strength of a big back, he also has the agility, balance and instincts of a smaller back. Scouts typically don't like backs lacking explosiveness and speed, but Bush can be a good NFL starter if healthy.

Carriker : 84 ranked overall

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is tough and competitive. Is productive. Plays with knees bent, and uses hands to lock onto offensive linemen, get arm extension and hold his ground at the point of attack. Has the speed to chase down running backs when unblocked on the backside. Shows the effort and desire to make tackles downfield. Has quick hands to beat offensive linemen with arm-over move. Has ideal size for a strongside defensive end.

Weaknesses: Is a limited athlete. Lacks explosiveness and speed to threaten the corner as a speed rusher. Does not change directions quickly, hindering ability to move through traffic. Does not use his hands well to protect legs from cut blocks. Is so tall it hinders ability to get low and shed blocks. Bites on play-action fakes away, allowing quarterbacks to roll around him and throw to the tight end.

Bottom line: Carriker is a tough prospect to grade because he is tackle/end 'tweener. He is not a good athlete and does not produce at a high level. He has the size and strength to be a solid two-gap tackle in a 4-3 scheme or end in a 3-4 defense, but he is not going to make many impact plays.

#10 User is offline   ozjet51 Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (TimmyLamJones @ Feb 2 2007, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
8 (8) Texans Alan Branch* DT Michigan

9 (9) Dolphins Amobi Okoye DT Louisville

this bit i dont like they state that okeye will be the best in this class in two years like its common knowledge but yet dont have him as the no.1 dt taken? houston and miami play the same form of defence too dont they??

#11 User is offline   Fatman Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

I definitely don't see Quinn falling out of the top 10 may be the top fifteen but thats about it. I don't think we'll draft Pittman in the first round since we can get him later.

Thanks for the Memories

#12 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

Thats the worst pick I seen so far, why does every mock think we need a RB so much that we will be idiots a take a guy that never has been rated a 1st round back. I dont get it, I really believe they think the Jets are the laughing stock of the NFL.....
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   cmart=the best Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

Jeez I thought the one mock that had us getting a WR was bad. Pittman in the first round tho WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif Hes a late late second and early third in my book

#14 User is offline   VILMAmazing51 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (TimmyLamJones @ Feb 1 2007, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is big and strong. Keeps feet moving to absorb hard hits and keep on going. Breaks tackles. Shows good instincts to follow blockers and make correct cuts. Is surprisingly quick and agile. Stops and starts quickly enough to elude would-be tacklers in open field. Shows great hands to make tough catches. Is a good pass blocker; despite so-so technique, always picks right man.

Weaknesses: Has struggled to stay healthy. Broke tibia Sept. 2 and missed the rest of the '06 season. Runs upright too often, taking too many big hits and hindering ability to break tackles. Lacks the burst and speed to be a big-play threat. Will get caught from behind in the NFL. Lacks the burst to be as effective on cutback runs. When there is no hole, tends to slow up and become tentative.

Bottom line: Bush is unique; although he has the size and strength of a big back, he also has the agility, balance and instincts of a smaller back. Scouts typically don't like backs lacking explosiveness and speed, but Bush can be a good NFL starter if healthy.
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is tough and competitive. Is productive. Plays with knees bent, and uses hands to lock onto offensive linemen, get arm extension and hold his ground at the point of attack. Has the speed to chase down running backs when unblocked on the backside. Shows the effort and desire to make tackles downfield. Has quick hands to beat offensive linemen with arm-over move. Has ideal size for a strongside defensive end.

Weaknesses: Is a limited athlete. Lacks explosiveness and speed to threaten the corner as a speed rusher. Does not change directions quickly, hindering ability to move through traffic. Does not use his hands well to protect legs from cut blocks. Is so tall it hinders ability to get low and shed blocks. Bites on play-action fakes away, allowing quarterbacks to roll around him and throw to the tight end.

Bottom line: Carriker is a tough prospect to grade because he is tackle/end 'tweener. He is not a good athlete and does not produce at a high level. He has the size and strength to be a solid two-gap tackle in a 4-3 scheme or end in a 3-4 defense, but he is not going to make many impact plays.

Can anyone let me know how accurate this is on carriker? I think its real harsh and based on what I saw in the senior bowl I think he can be a great 3/4 end for us. I am guessing some of you have seen him play more than me and can provide some insight??

FINALLY!!!! A REAL BIG BOY!!!

#15 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (jets0n @ Feb 1 2007, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't agree with the high grade on accuracy and delivery or intangibles but hey, what the hell do I know.

Thanks a bunch.

While we're at it though, how about a review on some of the guys the Jets are interested in: Tony Hunt, Adam Carriker, Michael Bush... that'd be sweet.

iagree.gif I saw a few LSU games this year and whilst Russell had a cannon for an arm his accuracy at time wasn't great but there's no doubt he goes above Quinn because Russell is on the rise after his Sugar Bowl victory and Quinn is on the decline following the Sugar Bowl.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users