NYJetsFan.com Forums: New York Jets Match Browns' Offer To Safety Abram Elam - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets hire Maccagnan as GM and Bowles as HC. Who's starting the billboard fundraiser?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:23 PM) BAS DOST
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 04:09 PM) Bring something to the table
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:13 PM) Teh table
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:27 PM) I miss our banter everyone EXCEPT Harlem I don't like him very much cause he's annoying as hell and that Wind Beneath My Wings shit is such a example
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:34 PM) I have elevator video of you giving out high fives
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:03 PM) Thank you for the warm words GG. I appreciate the thought!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:04 PM) any of u guys know how to size a NBA jersey?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 PM) Like im a XL so when I get a NFL jersey I get a L
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 PM) Im getting it for a friend
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:13 PM) SIGN WILL HILL
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:14 PM) There are some decent FAs I hope we go after, we have like $48 mil in cap space, plus more once we get rid of Chris Johnson and Calvin Pace.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:14 PM) We'll have over $50 mil to spend
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:52 PM) sign everyone!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:54 PM) I'd love to grab Cobb, Julius Thomas, and Mike Iupati
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:56 PM) Lol for someone who doesn't like me and doesn't pay attention to what I have to say, GG sure loves talking about me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:56 PM) It's ok though buddy I love you
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 PM) We just need a QB to throw to them
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:17 PM) Cobb isn't leaving the Packers
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:18 PM) I hope we keep Harvin
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:28 PM) I like Harvin but I don't think we should pay him that much
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:29 PM) but if we can get a WR keep him
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:40 PM) idk how cap works sometime
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:41 PM) how can Denver have 31 mil in space?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:43 PM) but I guess since they have to pay both Thomas this year that will go fast
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:45 PM) and have to pay miller next year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:20 PM) Are they not counting PEyton Manning?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:22 PM) A lot of their players increase cap hits after this season
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:22 PM) you can work the numbers
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:25 PM) if we release Harvin, we won't get him back most likely. Hes the most dynamic offensive player we have had in a while.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:26 PM) Plus he has no guaranteed money so we can release him at any time for no cap hits. Maybe they can rework his contract, but I hope we keep him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:26 PM) I think he will awesome in Chan's offense, maybe worth the $10 mil
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:40 PM) We still have to pay Mo too
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:47 PM) yup. We also happen to be in the big years of Mangolds' and Brick's contracts
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 PM) Brick either restructures after this season or is released, noway he stays at $14 mil
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 PM) I think he does restructure though, can't imagine Brick wanting to play elsewhere. I see him as a career Jet
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:51 PM) need to re-sign Demario Davis and Damon Harrison as well
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:52 PM) they shouldn't cost much though
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:57 PM) I'd really love to bring in Franklin or Iupati
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:59 PM) Franklin, Iupati, or Boling I would be happy with. We need a good OG.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:59 PM) I think that Oday would be fine as a starter for one spot, he showed promise. Plus it would be a competition between Oday, Winters, and Dozier.
Chadforpresi... Icon : (Today, 12:31 PM) Iupati would be a great signing. If Harvin doesn't restructure I would not be opposed to cutting him
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 01:47 PM) See this is why you can't be taken seriously harlem
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 01:47 PM) Orlando Franklin is a FLAG machine
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 01:48 PM) he'd just be our 2014 version of Colon
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 01:48 PM) HELL NO TO ORLANDO
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New York Jets Match Browns' Offer To Safety Abram Elam

#1 User is offline   J-E-T-S 4417 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

The Jets have matched the one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet the Cleveland Browns extended to safety Abram Elam, the club has announced.

The club had signed Elam, a restricted free agent, to a one-year, $1.01 million tender before the Browns extended the offer sheet. The Jets had until Tuesday to match the offer.

Last season, Elam, who took over for the injured Eric Smith, turned into a playmaker. He finished with 57 tackles, an interception (returned 92 yards for a touchdown) and three forced fumbles, including one in a Week 15 game against Buffalo that was returned for a game-winning touchdown by defensive end Shaun Ellis with two minutes left to play. Another forced fumbled by Elam was returned for a touchdown by linebacker Calvin Pace in a Week 10 game against the Rams.

The move to retain Elam stops -- at least momentarily -- the parade of former Jets to the Browns, who are coached by ex-Jets coach Eric Mangini. Defensive end C.J. Mosley, CB Hank Poteat and LBs David Bowens and Eric Barton have signed with the Browns.

#2 User is offline   Timebandit Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

This is good, I know he's weak on pass defense but he's a playmaker & a hard hitter, I think Rex feels he's coachable and he will teach Elam his way.

#3 User is offline   CJBallar01 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

I was just about to post this.. Good job by the Jets. I like Elam

#4 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

Happy as hell to keep Abe. My favorite Jet.

#5 User is offline   nejets2820 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Timebandit @ Mar 17 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is good, I know he's weak on pass defense but he's a playmaker & a hard hitter, I think Rex feels he's coachable and he will teach Elam his way.

Definately have to agree with that. Definately not a really great cover safety, but as a play making safety he was the best in my mind. Just look at 3 plays and you'll see what he can do. The three plays by the way from me were his sack/force fumble on Marc Bulger when we faced the Rams, his 92 yard INT against the Bills after a play that got Buffalo inside the 15, and of course... the sack/ force fumble on J.P. which everyone that's a Jets fan knows how it ended. Great save for New York keeping this guy. Also with Jim Leonhard we actually have a really good backfield in terms of just safeties. Hopefully with Rex's scheme Abram will be a bigger impact player then last year. Great job again by Mike "The Man" Tennenbaum.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

We do need him for depth.. Rex probably likes the way he hits muthaf*ckas.. It's cheap at 1.5. Good call Tanny.

#7 User is offline   cmart=the best Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

I have a question, Is Eric Smith still on this team? If so we should release him and let Mangini pick him up and use the freed up cap space to get Elam back. Elam>Smith that's a fact!

#8 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Formerly Leon#29 - 2008 ROY
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (cmart=the best @ Mar 17 2009, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question, Is Eric Smith still on this team? If so we should release him and let Mangini pick him up and use the freed up cap space to get Elam back. Elam>Smith that's a fact!

Eric Smith is on the last year of his initial rookie contract....as a 3rd round pick, I would guess that it is in the $550,000 range. Smith is better in coverage by default... I am an Elam fan, but lets remember that he was voted "slowest" DB on the team. So picking up the proper angles is a must this TC...

If Safety coach Doug Plank can turn Elam's coverage skills around, then this may turn out to be a very good move to keep Elam. But right now, eventhough he has made plays, he still needs alot of coaching in his coverage skills...because there were times last year that he was lost "in space"...

And Smith might not make the team...or Plank will make him a player. Simple as that..

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

Elam can play ST and be back up for us, don't mind bringing him back. He does play hard and is physical something he will fit well in as thats the direction Rex has said he wants.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users