NYJetsFan.com Forums: Leon29 Assesessment Of Day 2 Practices - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jetsfan0099 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 03:21 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 07:22 PM) Calvin Pryor and Darrin Walls will start tomorrow
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 08:52 PM) The SIMPSONS MARATHON has been on for almost 12 hours...
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) Sanchez looks so much more confident and better in Chip's offense than he did with us
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 09:50 PM) EVERY SIMPSONS EVER!!!!!
2JBallar01 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 07:10 AM) Sanchez is looking good for the eagles. Crazy how a good offense and the right system can make you look so much better. When you're put into a situatuon to succeed, magic happens. Happy for Sanchez, i think he needed a change just as much as the Jets did.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 08:02 AM) Preseason doesn't matter at all
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 11:10 AM) anyone have a stream for the preseaosn agme by chance?
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Don't read to much into Mark in the preseason. He usually looked good in the preseason even in a Jets uniform.. Big difference from regular season where the 1st string defense is playing 100%.
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:09 PM) A lot of 1st stringers are just getting reps in and trying not to get injured. Its only the backups trying to keep or get a job playing hard every down. If preseason qb play meant anything then Matt Simms would be the starting qb of the Jets.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 August 2014 - 12:00 AM) In Geno we trust
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 August 2014 - 07:23 AM) preseason or not, our offense hasn't looked competent in a while like it does this year. our rushing attack should be very good. Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory could be a dynamic duo
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 10:14 AM) http://youtu.be/2X0H709cJkA
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 01:28 PM) 2-0 lead most dangerous kind of lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 02:46 PM) Sam Bradford tears ACL and out for the season
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) Dimitri Patterson is MISSING
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 04:50 PM) BREAKING NEWS: NO FAT CHICKS!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Rams want Sanchez
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Shotty and Sanchez again
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM) Champ Bailey to be released by Denver. Considering how busted up we are and Patterson now being suspended, do we take a look?
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:05 PM) Cro rumored to be gettin released from Arizona. We should definitely bring him in since he already knows the system and he's bett erhtan our 3rd/4th stringers which is where we're at at this point.
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) *better than
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:58 PM) Cro may get released?!
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 02:07 PM) /announcement
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 04:54 PM) patterson suspended indefinatly by idzik. were fucked at CB right now
azjetfan Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Do the Rams have a CB worth trading for?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) Saunders had a seizure, that is why he got into a car crash. He returned to practice, weird/
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:00 AM) ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Jets tried trading WR Stepehen Hill this summer. No takers. Let's see if final cuts today and Saturday change that equation.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:15 AM) i hate izdik
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:32 PM) Our starting CB Walls working in rehab area
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:52 PM) any CBs that are decent on the trade block or facing salary cuts?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:00 PM) I wouldnt cut Hill watch him go to NE and turn into Randy Moss
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) I'm just glad there aren't anymore greedy bastards on the team to deal with
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) Or street thugs
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) f*** a CB problem
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:49 PM) need 1 more in the fantasy league
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:33 PM) Dimitri suspended for the rest of preseason. I'm sorry, I know we are bone dry at corner these days but they should have cut this prick on the spot . He's going to get torched regardless this year and I'd rather cut ties with any potential cancerous attitutudes before the season even starts.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:34 PM) Where I come from you take responsibility for your actions. Not showing up for a game is cowardly and selfish. f*** him
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:36 PM) Also he doesn't know what the acronym AWOL means so he's also an idiot. No wonder he's never been anything but a journeyman corner is this league.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 09:11 PM) So how do you really feel?
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:18 PM) I think my last three posts pretty much summarize how I feel haha. He's making 1.5 mill this year and no call no shows because his feeling are hurt. Would rather you play corner azjetfan than this guy
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 08:12 AM) Need 1 more for FFB!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:39 AM) Stephen Hill is going to get cut, guy sucks. Greg Salas is a better football player and deserves a spot over him
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:27 AM) So when do we show up to 115s house with pitchforks, tar and feathers?
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leon29 Assesessment Of Day 2 Practices

#1 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Formerly Leon#29 - 2008 ROY
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

Had a great time at minicamp with Amen, Secondhand, and my son Vilmatime51..

First off, we stuck around for both the morning and afternoon practices. What really stuck out to me, was the glaring need for a #2 reciever! When Huey Whittacker performs better then any reciever on the team not wearing the #89, there just may be a problem. And that's including Keller, who continues to have un-reliable hands. (I'm aware that it's only minicamp, and I have been to over a dozen TC's...so I am just giving a June analysis, so take it with a grain of salt). I truly believe that the Jets will have either Braylon or Plaxico on the roster sooner then later! I for the first time, witnessed what Tory Holt has always said..that a reciever at this level really needs 3 years to polish his route running....because the only WR on that field today that was running solid routes was Cotchery! And in all the 2 minute drills he was every QB's go to guy...We as Jet fans can say "Stuckey, Smith,Clowney can hold down the position...and it MAY be possible. But if at this time in thier respective careers they can't adaquately at this level step up as #2 recievers YET...then expect 8 men in the box with a rookie QB...which to me puts even more pressure on that rookie QB, our RB's, and our OL.. So to me it's a glaring concern!

Remember this was only minicamp!

It's been 4 years, and Kellen Clemens footwork is still horrible. I like what I saw from Sanchez, but again he plays a position that takes time to learn. His mechanics are there, and to me at this point that is the most important thing...Forget Ainge, the kid from Harvard will beat him out no doubt.

The running game looks like it will be solid. Greene looks like a player... And I was impressed with his pass catching out of the backfield as well (remember that was a knock on him).

On defense, Lowery caught my eye the most in the defensive backfield along with Donald Strickland (solid pick up IMO). Gholston was playing DE, its still early but the boy today seemed slow, and also has a problem with the angles..lets hope that Rex can do something with him!! Because when Marcus Murrell playing with his hand in the dirt is still outplaying Vernon...to me it isn't a good sign.

Remember, unless you are a coach of some sort it is very hard to give evaluations of the OL, and for the most part the DL (with the exception of the drills where the DL are allowed to rush the passer).

I like that they are practicing the wildcat...especially with the direct snaps to Leon.

I also think that it is a plus that Rex leaves Schotty alone with the offense, while he does his thing with the D!!

#2 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the write up. I'm sure you had a great time. Appreciate it man.

#3 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:18 AM

Great information squire, a couple things I wanted to point out.

I read someplace else that Gholston is very shy and lost weight. Something about him being intimidated by the crowd and still doesn't looks dominate. Still looks a bit lost at times.

I agree with your assessment of our WR's. There is a reason Clowney isn't a starter and why Stuck and Brad are not starters. They are probably real good in the slot in 3WR sets or 4 and 5 WR sets but as in full time duty as a #2 the pickins are slim. Lets hope for Bryon or Plax.

Good to see Greene doing his thang. I know he's been exessively using the juggs to get those hands up to par.

I know Lowery is going to be a future stud. No worries about Lowery. We are going to have a strong secondary.

The way Ryan and Schotty are going about things reminds me of how Ditka and Buddy Ryan did for the Bears back in the mid 80's. Interested to see how that turns out...

Good stuff homie...

#4 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:16 AM

Good write up, I am sure of it that we will sign Plaxico Burress. The way Rex talked at his press conference you can tell the Jets are very interested in getting him. It also looks like Burress will be playing this season, he will get a deal it seems that will allow him to play this year and have 3 months of jail time during the offseason or something. If thats the case we need to sign him, I think we would be best suited if we had Burress and Cotchery at the outsides, and Stuckey in the slot. Burress takes pressure off of everyone, he'll make teams respect our passing game. Plus being 6'5 he makes a young QBs life much easier.

Leon29, was Clowney dropping passes a lot? I've been hearing that he has had trouble catching the ball this year? I know Rex even made a comment about it, saying that in order to be a great receiver you have to catch the ball in crunch time.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Jun 11 2009, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leon29, was Clowney dropping passes a lot? I've been hearing that he has had trouble catching the ball this year? I know Rex even made a comment about it, saying that in order to be a great receiver you have to catch the ball in crunch time.

When I was there for the am session I didnt see Clowney dropping much of anything that he could get a hand on.

Leon.....where were you guys? I was by the goalpost by the fire access road.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#6 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (FlyHiJets @ Jun 11 2009, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was there for the am session I didnt see Clowney dropping much of anything that he could get a hand on.

Leon.....where were you guys? I was by the goalpost by the fire access road.

We were on the sidelines past that little section of VIP benches for the morning session...switched it up a bit in the afternoon.

Clowney was dropping some balls though 0099, so I understand where Ryan is coming from with his comments...maybe Clowney should slow down on the tweeting...

#7 User is offline   Amen Icon

• Head Writer / 2008 Best Mod Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

Now my write-up is going to look like I plagiarized you. lol.

But seriously, for emphasis -- the WR situation is a disturbing one.

I couldn't tell if the defense was just THAT good, or if our WR options were that bad. Outside of Cotchery, no one was open on a consistent basis. Whatever the reason, Stuckey wasn't getting a good enough burst off the line of scrimmage, and that's one of the knocks on him out of college.

With Clemens, it looked like the reads progressed from Cotchery to Keller to RB out of the backfield.

One of the few good throws-catches I saw was from Sanchez to Wallace Wright. Yes, special-teams ace Wallace Wright. That might be saying something.

And yes, Pizzotti outplayed Erik Ainge by a lot.

Sanchez isn't that far behind Clemens. He really does have a stronger arm. When they did their simultaneous throwing drills, the receivers Sanchez hit were already turning after the catch when Clemens' throws arrived to his target.

Sanchez isn't afraid to run out of the pocket either. With no contact, we're supposed to assume that he would be sacked if he ran out of the pocket, but he was definitely willing to use his feet to make the defense hesitate.

But he needs to make better reads. Maybe he's taking chances because it is training camp. Maybe he's telegraphing all his throws and making it easier for DBs to pick him off.

Like Leon said... Murrell is looking better than Gholston and he's making the same transition. I didn't want to be the one to say it as I was afraid I'd be accused of being biased, but it's the truth. I think Gholston is doing a good job getting off on the snap -- but it's his next move where he hesitates. He's not stringing his shit together. He just gets caught up in a tango with the blockers.

Co-sign on Greene and Keller. We've all got hopes for Keller if there's no WR acquired this summer. But if he's going to be our No. 2 target, then he needs to become more reliable.

But then again, it is only minicamp.

Peace to Kris Jenkins for losing Damien Woody's practice jersey.

#8 User is offline   Amen Icon

• Head Writer / 2008 Best Mod Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

Definitely can't forget Kareem Brown. He looked really good making his DE to TE transition. The other UDFA, J'Nathaan Bullock didn't do much. He was hyped to be Antonio Gates-like, but doesn't look it. He seemed pretty small out there.

#9 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

Thanks guys, looks like we definitely could use Plaxico. I have a feeling he will be a Jet come training camp.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (eliteblazers @ Jun 11 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow no cheap shot?? thats great.

is whitaker impressive enough for he has a shot at one of those 5 spots.. does he look 2nd best cause he actually might be 2nd best out of that group(after jcotch)??

Well Brian, if Whittaker is our 2nd best receiver...then I think that we are awfully thin at the position and will hinder the development of Sanchez. The one good thing is that my assessment of the position was only one day of a June minicamp. Do I think that whittiker can make the team? Well his size and hands, and how he "attacks" the ball will only help his chances bro...Like how well does he really run an NFL route? Only Henry Ellard really knows that..if he can work with him, then he just may be an NFL receiver down the road..

Sorry Coles haters, but he (as of right now), is going to be extremely missed!!!

And why would I give you a cheap shot? I understand that your Mom made you stay home and wouldn't let you out until you finished your vegetables...it's all good..

#11 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Link: Hardesty and Fooch Talk Jets
Posted on June 11th, 2009 by Bassett MSG’s Anthony ‘Fooch’ Fucilli and ESPN Radio’s Larry Hardesty have a great talk at MSG.com about what they’re seeing at the Jets facility. They talk about everything from the offense, the QB play, the defense and Ryan’s bravado.

Fooch: “I don’t like what I see out there right now, I mean, Cotchery is a solid receiver, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t see any gamebreakers. I’m not so sure Larry, I’m not drinking the Kool-Aid with these wide receivers.”

Hardesty: “The problem is that they’re all the same, they’re all the same height. You had hope that Marcus Henry out of Kansas, the tall kid, would be able to seperate himself, and that’s why you keep hearing about Plaxico Burress, things like that.

Fooch: “It’s a no brainer to me for the Jets, they need help … I just don’t think you can go into a season with these guys.”

#12 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

8 men in the Box has been a Jets Killer every year because 1 or 2 elements have always been subpar on the offense.
offensive line ,WR's , RB's or QB .Maybe we need a big TE and move Keller to #2 and if Plax comes to town there is your answer to 8 men in the box.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

I forgot to state in my report that Revis for the first time that I remember as a Jet was fielding punts. Along with Cotchery and Leonhard. I thought that was very intersting. And he was catching them very smoothly....

#14 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (Leon#29 @ Jun 11 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I forgot to state in my report that Revis for the first time that I remember as a Jet was fielding punts. Along with Cotchery and Leonhard. I thought that was very intersting. And he was catching them very smoothly....

They better not allow Revis to PR, hes too important for that. Let Leonhard do it, hes a decent returner.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Jun 11 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They better not allow Revis to PR, hes too important for that. Let Leonhard do it, hes a decent returner.

This is where I will always disagree with a fan. You put the player that is the best out there (not saying Revis is..don't know). If you worry about injuries, you are setting yourself up for failure IMO. Didn't Dieon Sanders do OK as his teams topflight CB, while returning punts?

And if you are going to worry about injuries, aren't you pissed that Justin Miller was cut for NO reason...now exposing the same risk to Leon?

Field position is probably going to be crucial this season! You use the best players to get you that field position...why do you think Rex is already cutting punters?

#16 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

We gotta make a run at Plaxico or snatch Edwards from the Brownies. It's a must!!!

#17 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Leon#29 @ Jun 11 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is where I will always disagree with a fan. You put the player that is the best out there (not saying Revis is..don't know). If you worry about injuries, you are setting yourself up for failure IMO. Didn't Dieon Sanders do OK as his teams topflight CB, while returning punts?

And if you are going to worry about injuries, aren't you pissed that Justin Miller was cut for NO reason...now exposing the same risk to Leon?

Field position is probably going to be crucial this season! You use the best players to get you that field position...why do you think Rex is already cutting punters?

I just wouldn't risk Revis to unnessary hits, hes no Deon Sanders at returning either. He was good in college at it, but hes not a great returner that would warrant him being risked there. Jim Leonhard is a pretty good PR, he'll most likely be the PR to the team. Maybe give Lowery a shot at it, he ran back a PR for a TD last year in preseason. I know why Leon isn't it anymore, because Westhoff said hes not a natural PR. Rex has raved about Leonhard ability to field a punt.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

And the receiver problem could have easily been avoided by drafting Michael Crabtree, plain n simple. Then if Clemens didnt pan out as the franchise, he was given his shot, you still have wr's and you draft Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford the next season who are way better than Sanchez.
Posted Image

#19 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Clemens11 @ Jun 11 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the receiver problem could have easily been avoided by drafting Michael Crabtree, plain n simple. Then if Clemens didnt pan out as the franchise, he was given his shot, you still have wr's and you draft Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford the next season who are way better than Sanchez.

Colt McCoy is definitely not better than Sanchez. Bradford will be 1st overall most likely, the Jets fell in love with Sanchez. Our WR problems can still be solved by signing Plaxico Burress. Sanchez is a great fit here so I am happy. Clemens isn't that good.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Jun 11 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Colt McCoy is definitely not better than Sanchez. Bradford will be 1st overall most likely, the Jets fell in love with Sanchez. Our WR problems can still be solved by signing Plaxico Burress. Sanchez is a great fit here so I am happy. Clemens isn't that good.

Your hopes lie with a man who is one of the most idiotic to ever play the game.

Clemens can be that good hes never been given a real chance.

And Colt McCoy had the best completion Percentage in the NCAA last year, is faster, and has a better arm. How you could say that Sanchez is even tied to the level of Colt is laughable, but to say hes not definately better is complete fluff. Take off the green goggles buddy. Colt McCoy will be a 4 year starter, and was a Heisman trophy candidate. Sanchez is a one n a half year starter who couldnt even keep his job the first year. Its not even a Competition. this is like you taking on Tyson in his prime, and Tyson represents McCoy. You'd be lucky to last 8 seconds, well anyone on here would. So if you wanna say drafting Sanchez is the right move cus we needed a qb now and not next year, fine, but dont try n say Sanchez is better than McCoy cus your only lieing to yrself.
Posted Image

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users