NYJetsFan.com Forums: Obesity Vs. Smoking - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

HarlemHxC814 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:50 AM) Teh.
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:59 AM) Peeps in new Orleans still talking about wrestle mania
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:59 AM) The hype was strong
Jetsman05 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 12:27 PM) Unreal.
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 12:33 PM) It was all just a dream
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 05:20 PM) I used to read Word Up magazine
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) http://espn.go.com/n...port?src=mobile
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 April 2014 - 08:32 PM) Its funny how much baseball has used replay in the first 2 weeks
ganggreen2003 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 08:46 PM) BREAKING NEWS: I'M STILL FUCKIN ALIVE JUST BUSY GETTING MY BUSINESS OFF THE GROUND!!!! FOR FURTHER NOTICE KISS MY ASS!!!!
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 09:30 PM) Lol
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 09:31 PM) Gg03 doing his own updates
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:33 PM) ^because the updates here never change
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 02:30 AM) That's right, because I was on the edge of my seat wondering whether or not Garrett McIntyre would be resigned or not.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 02:39 AM) There is not really much to update us about in the dog days of the off-season. Unless we want Santana to be like CNN and give us constant "updates" about the missing Malaysian airplane.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 AM) I should start doing baseball updates
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 AM) Dodger dawgss
Smedsthejet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:52 PM) Cro enjoyed a good birthday with some of that Cardinals signing bonus: http://kissingsuzyko...tle-people.html
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:44 PM) ESPN NY
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:44 PM) 18. New York Jets -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: Surprised? Yes, the Jets need a receiver, but it's the deepest receiver draft in years, and they can find a good one in the second round. This would mark the fifth straight year with a defensive pick in Round 1.
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 03:51 PM) is he better than Gilbert, Dennard, and Fuller?
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 03:56 PM) In my biased opinion I don't think he's better than Dennard.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:05 PM) ewww
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:13 PM) Denard and Gilbert are gone in this mock by 18
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:08 PM) no f***ing way...
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:44 PM) ICYMI We AREN'T the 49ers... THANK GOODNESS!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:45 PM) Carry On NUMBNUTS!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:23 PM) FAN
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:23 PM) DAN
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:24 PM) GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:53 PM) EVOLUTION!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:57 PM) OOO Man I got to get tickets to Extreme rules now. since I will be in NY that week
greenandwhit... Icon : (Today, 02:32 AM) I have to get tickets... Evolution is back. I'm 10 years old again
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:04 AM) Chris Johnson visiting jets today
santana Icon : (Today, 10:06 AM) http://i.imgur.com/RWFWUYi.gif
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) izdik offers him a lifetime supply of clip on dreadlocks
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 02:40 PM) ‏@KristianRDyer 1h
Hearing from a team source that interest between Jets, Chris Johnson is "mutually high between both parties." #nyjets #jetstwitter
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:16 PM) ICYMI : Today marks the 51 year anniversary that the Titans of NY became the NEW YORK JETS
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 05:21 PM) nice we could use CJ. we still lack offesnife playmakers
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:02 PM) ‏@MMehtaNYDN 7m
Chris Johnson's visit with the Jets today: Productive. Good vibes all around, I'm told. #nyj
Expand
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:34 PM) offesnife!
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:34 PM) tehhhh
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:54 PM) yay more typing jokes. how original. you should see this thing called the internet
santana Icon : (Today, 08:14 PM) So you ever go on that there Internet? Lotta cool stuff on that Internet
santana Icon : (Today, 08:24 PM)

Ian Rapoport
Chris Johnson’s visit with #Jets today went well, from what it sounded like. It’s over now. Nothing final yet, other teams still circling
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 PM) I think he's just stating the obvious but whatever it's an update
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Obesity Vs. Smoking For you fools out there...

#1 User is offline   bobzero11 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

I got this from an interesting resource online... Dr. Mercola... seems to be out to sell more than inform, but still has some interesting stuff on the site... check it out

Mercola Homepage

Obesity vs. Smoking
Which is Worse for You ... Obesity or Smoking?

It has previously been stated by a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) spokesperson that, "A nation with an expanding waistline is in far better shape than one with a cigarette in its mouth."

And while smoking is certainly dangerous to one's health, when it comes to choosing the less harmful of two evils: Obesity does appear to be worse when it comes to accelerating the aging process and decreasing the time that you will remain on this planet.

Study of Telomeres

Researchers compared the length of telomeres -- the ends of chromosomes -- in the white blood cells of some 1,100 women ages 18-76. When a cell divides, its telomere loses a small piece of DNA; when it becomes too short, cells can no longer divide. Thus, telomere shortening acts as a sign of aging, counting down the cellular generations.

After calculating the amount of telomere shortening in the women, researchers compared the chromosomes based on lifestyle factors such as smoking habits and obesity. The results showed:

* Obese women were almost nine years older, genetically, than their counterparts.
* Those who smoked aged about half as slowly (4.6 years) as obese patients.
* Both obesity and smoking worked synergistically to age a patient even faster -- by at least a decade -- than a lean non-smoker.

What's more, the effects are set in stone. In other words, while losing weight and quitting smoking reduce the rate of telomere loss, it cannot restore them.

Role of Free Radicals

Researchers speculate telomere damage is probably done by free radicals. That's because both smoking and obesity cause oxidative stress, a source of free radicals. Free radicals play a role in DNA mutations, and there is some evidence that mutations in telomeres cause larger chunks than normal to be lost during cell division.

Further, animal studies have not established any simple relationship between telomere length and lifespan; therefore, it's possible that shortened telomeres are merely a sign of how much free radical damage cells have suffered, rather than a direct cause of aging.
IPB Image<<<Don't know how to update this thing...

#2 User is offline   Alcatraz Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

Guess it will suck if someone's obese and a smoker. Especially if that person is a heavy smoker.

#3 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the update Tiger, and smoking can cause obesity too, so smoking is somewhat (in my mind) riskier, but that's not including all the DNA breaking away from the telomere or whatever.
BUT, keep this in mind, obesity are results from eating habits as kids and early teens, since those habits will be brought to the future as will the fat. That's why more fatter people are appearing, since there has been less disicpline lain out by parents on their kids on what they ate and that there are more of those foods around.
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#4 User is offline   bobzero11 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:21 AM

how can smoking cause obesity? most people who smoke tend to be skinnier... it fills their "oral vice"... this is why a lot of people are fat or smoke (according to certain psychologists such as freud) they may have had trouble as a child while in their oral stage of development and therefore need to gratify their oral fixation later in life either through eating or smoking or both (or various other things...)
nerves also factor in... but i digress

i know you are young kemosabe.... but just because you may know one fat chick that smokes too, you shouldnt make that association... but live and learn man, live and learn...
IPB Image<<<Don't know how to update this thing...

#5 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

Well my Mom (who also has profession in the medical fields like you), told me about it all, and then on all those health alerts and stuff they say that.
But she said it causes you to eat more, it either had something to do with DNA or blah or the drugs affect on the brain, that's what she told me and those news alerts and stuff, and I did just take D.A.R.E. this year and they do say smoking is a cause of obesity (then again D.A.R.E, standing for Dug Abuse Resistance Education, says that one sip of alcahol can kill you, when in reality if you have a little every once in awhile it's healthy for your heart).
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users