NYJetsFan.com Forums: For Those Who Still Want Brian Leonard - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (23 October 2014 - 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (24 October 2014 - 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:23 AM) SILVA!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 AM) Wait I mean
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 AM) FIRE IDZICK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:05 AM) What channel can I watch el clasico
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:06 AM) TEH CLASICO
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:39 AM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:05 PM) Messi to Suarez to Neymar and goal
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:06 PM) My nipples were so stiff
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:06 PM) Isco the Spanish Shepard so tenacious gotta order that kit!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:31 PM) WE THE PEOPLE
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

For Those Who Still Want Brian Leonard

#1 User is offline   jhsensation10 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

leonard weighed in at 6'1 224 lbs this week at the senior bowl. he is trying to slim down to become a RB. without pure speed or moves, he will not make it at the next level. for those who think he will be a FB/H-back type player, let's just compare him to chris cooley. cooley is 6'3 265. that is way bigger than 6'1 224. not only is cooley bigger than leonard, he's bigger than the LBs in the NFL which gives him the ability to block them as a FB/TE. you cannot say the same thing about leonard. he will get destroyed by most LBs since they are bigger than him. so stop saying you would want leonard in the 2nd round because it is absolutely ridiculous. it's like saying a team will draft chris leak somewhere in the 1st. it doesn't make sense and won't happen.

#2 User is offline   DewayneDontSign Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

i would also rather pass on Leonard, and get a "pure" fullback like Le'Ron McClain

#3 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Leonard can bang with the best of them, I'm not worried him being able to block in the Pros. And of course he is not Cooley, Cooley is primarily a Te and has the body of one. Leonard is a FB, and a can play Rb. He is an extremely talented player. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to watch him, because it was a lot of fun.

If Leonard is drafted by the Jets, it is because they will utilize his unique talents. People who say Schott doesn't use the Fb, seem to forget that we had Askew there. He is nowhere near the skill player that Leonard is.

Will Leonard be drafted as high as the 2nd round? I don't know, but he would definately be worth that high of a draft status. This guy is going to be a big time player and is the type of guy Mangini loves. Tough guy, hard worker, team first player. I would be thrilled to see Leonard on the Jets.

#4 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (NYJBlueHen @ Jan 26 2007, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leonard can bang with the best of them, I'm not worried him being able to block in the Pros. And of course he is not Cooley, Cooley is primarily a Te and has the body of one. Leonard is a FB, and a can play Rb. He is an extremely talented player. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to watch him, because it was a lot of fun.

If Leonard is drafted by the Jets, it is because they will utilize his unique talents. People who say Schott doesn't use the Fb, seem to forget that we had Askew there. He is nowhere near the skill player that Leonard is.

Will Leonard be drafted as high as the 2nd round? I don't know, but he would definately be worth that high of a draft status. This guy is going to be a big time player and is the type of guy Mangini loves. Tough guy, hard worker, team first player. I would be thrilled to see Leonard on the Jets.

If Askew doesn't have skills then why did we invested a 3rd round pick in him only a couple seasons back? Yes it was during the Bradway/Herm era but they weren't that idiotic to draft a FB in the third with no skills. A lot of starting FBs are either late round picks or UFAs so it went against the norm when Askew was drafted in the 3rd.
We need to get better blocking at TE and FB to improve the running game and at 224lbs he is on average 20lbs lighter than most LBs he will go up against.
If he is to be used at RB there are plenty better options available as well who have been RBs their whole college careers.

#5 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

he'd be a joke at halfback with no where near enough speed and elusiveness and he isn't big enough or solid enough in general to be an effective blocking fb. don't get me wrong, i love what he did for rutgers and he was a great college player, but some guys just aren't cut out for the nfl

#6 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

Here's the problem. Everyone knows that Brian Leonard can play FB. That's not what he's displaying at the Senior Bowl or the combine. He want's to show that he can play tail back at the next level FIRST. He will put the wieght back on and play FB if that's what an NFL team wants him to do, he's said that. But he's improving his stock by showing he's versatile and that he can play RB at 220. I don't know why everyone thinks he's too slow also. That sounds a bit ridiculous considering all the wieght he's dropped that he's probably faster than he was before which is saying something already. Just because he's a white FB doesn't mean he's slow. Don't be ignorant, because he's faster than Lynch.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Brian_Leonard

He's been clocked between 4.47-4.52. Quoting Wikipedia:
Leonard has been timed at 4.47 and 4.52 in the 40 yard dash, which is exceptionally fast for a fullback (players in this position that make the NFL typically range between 4.7-5.0).

Not only that but he's dropped 20lbs which is gonna make him even faster than that. He wants to play RB first at the next level and he's willing to play FB and put the weight back on. But by no means is he not gonna make it because he's a slow white boy. Hell everyone thinks Lynch is so great and explosive but he runs a 4.5 too so go figure....

#7 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

that's surprising to me, and it makes me wonder if there really is something to "game speed" which i never believed in, because he did not look like he played with halfback speed when he played in college. it seemed like he ran like a quick tight end, not fluidly and just not the way you see a halfback run. even if he is fast enough, i dont think he has the elusiveness to play hb at this level.

#8 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (ellisjersey92 @ Jan 26 2007, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's surprising to me, and it makes me wonder if there really is something to "game speed" which i never believed in, because he did not look like he was a fullback when he played in college. it seemed like he ran like a quick fullback, not fluidly and just the way you see a halfback run. even if he is fast enough, i dont think he has the elusiveness to play hb at this level.

That's why he's trying it out I believe. He never really got the chance to be a RB in terms of body type but he got the ball alot on the ground and did great things with it. I personally think he's gonna be a good between the tackles type of runner and he's already got the mentality where he likes to punish defenders. So he is gonna initiate contact, wearing down the defenses. I like that trait. I've seen only a small amount of him at the Senior Bowl. I'm excited to watch tomorrow's game and see how he performs. I'll tell you a guy that doesn't impress me much at all, Kenny Irons. But he had a nice run or two. We'll see. I'm hoping that Leonard gets a large load come Saturday.

All that being said I'm sure he'll be drafted to play as a Mike Alstott type. A FB that will make defenses pay when they don't give him attention, because Leonard has good hands and he can run the ball well. But if he performs well as a RB, he might just end up getting drafted to play RB and I'd be happy to have him here for that because if it didn't work out we could make him a hoss of a FB. I'd rather have Bush as a RB than Leonard though.

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hes the best 3rd down back in the draft. He has the best hands at RB in the draft, and is a great pass blocker. I want to draft him with our 2nd 2nd round pick. He could be the thunder for Leon Washington, and a goalline back. Plus he is a really good 3rd down back. He is very talented, and a type of player you want to draft if you are building a championship team. He would only add another hard worker, and a leader that just wants to win. Plus he could be switched back to FB if we want him to.
He did have his share of breakaway runs and pass plays.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

it makes no sense to draft leonard when we have askew who only started one year.....plus why do we need to take a pass catching FB who wants to be RB when we can just draft a real rb.........i say tony hunt in the 3rd or later rounds he has way more potential......we drafted askew in the 3rd to be that dual threat FB and he has only started one year give him time if not the just get some guy off the street who knows how to block....was lorenzo neal drafted? or jim finn? FB is not a glamorous position and we dont need to make it one
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

#11 User is offline   LocoJet Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

i like askew. he can block and he always runs hard.

#12 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

alot of people forget that askew has only had one year as the starter and he does everything leonard does
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

#13 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 27 2007, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alot of people forget that askew has only had one year as the starter and he does everything leonard does

Askew doesn't show enough as a blocking FB, which we need. I say keep Askew and find a good blocking FB as that would improve the running game no end plus we'd still have a FB who has decent speed for that position.

#14 User is offline   cmart=the best Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

Well Leonard has been plowin all over 2day he knocked Patrick Willis to the ground and broke a lot of tackles on another carry

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users