NYJetsFan.com Forums: Portis Or Turner? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop another game vs Lions. Offense is bad
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) INT TD KANSAS CITY!!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) we need to start doing that shit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) our D needs to start making shit like that happen
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) fuck that penalty
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) "going on your knees" stupidest shit ever
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) let them do the end zone celebrations
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:59 PM) thank you KC for slaughtering these overrated fucks
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:59 PM) Brady watching too much geno tape
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:00 PM) brady to the bench
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:00 PM) Oh god what has KC done! GARAPAPOLLO UNLEASHED
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:01 PM) I hope someone lays a Mo Lewis on Garapapolo
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:01 PM) square in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:02 PM) so brady can get his knee broken again
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) I'm scared
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) this kid might be legit
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) IT WASNT WORTH IT
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) cmon KC
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) wtf
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) f***
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) they let the rookie just drive it on them
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:05 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:05 PM) now KC needs a TD
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:06 PM) It wasn't worth it :(
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:15 PM) KC has some big ol boys
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:19 PM) TY KC for bringing these overrated fucks back down to earth
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 10:22 PM) I think 03 should be a mod. I think everyone should be.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 10:23 PM) What do we have to loose?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) our O better get their shit together starting this Sunday
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) we need to be on our A game when we play Denver and the CHEATriots
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) and Buffalo doesn't scare me
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) but these next 3 games better get it's shit together
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:01 PM) maybe Idzik knew that MEvis was not as good anymore
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:11 AM) Nah, fire idzik
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:12 AM) Milber is expected to play this week, how nice of him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:14 AM) The chargers are going to be tough
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 10:22 AM) well there is a silver lining to this season, tom brady sucks and so do the pats
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:48 AM) Jets sign John Conner back, with Bohannon injured at FB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:49 AM) that is why they should consider starting Vick, they could compete for the divsion with solid QB play. Can Rex really afford to sit there waiting for things to click with Geno while he keeps throwing INTs?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 12:26 PM) i didn't even notive bohannon was hurt
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 12:28 PM) vick gives us a chance to win now, geno can still learn as a backup
santana Icon : (Today, 01:28 PM) I miss T Bo already
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 02:35 PM) The raiders are a dumpster fire
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 02:36 PM) they are naming Tony Sparano yes that Tony Sparano formally the OC of the NYJ and the wildcat whacko from Miami is the new interim HC for the Oakland Gayders
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 02:39 PM) well good thing we got rid of LaRon Landry since he just got suspended for PED's
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:08 PM) i'm not suprised. that guy looked like he was on roids
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Portis Or Turner?

#1 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:11 PM

I'm just curious, but by some of the comments on the boards it seems people think Michael Turner is better than Clinton Porits...

I'm just wondering here, humor me, but if they both cost the same amount which would you rather have:

Clinton Portis or Michael Turner

And I'm not making this a poll because people vote anonymously and wanna be a pain in the ass or they just ghost vote so... state who and why.

Me, I vote Portis because obviously he's the 2nd best RB next to LT.

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:38 PM

This is not even a discussion. Portis without a doubt is a better RB right now then Turner, Portis ran for over 1,500 yards like 3 times in his career, and ran for over 1,000 every year except for last year because he was injured, while Turner only had 500 yards as his most. Portis is kinda injury prone though, if the Redskins were really interested in tradeing him, I would defintely give our 2nd round pick for him. I would never though, give a 1st rounder up for a RB, unless they are a RB like Reggie Bush, or Lt someone that is just so special that can do everything. But RBs are way too easy to get.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Kentucky Jet Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:NY Jets and Tony Bennett music!

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Feb 1 2007, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is not even a discussion. Portis without a doubt is a better RB right now then Turner, Portis ran for over 1,500 yards like 3 times in his career, and ran for over 1,000 every year except for last year because he was injured, while Turner only had 500 yards as his most. Portis is kinda injury prone though, if the Redskins were really interested in tradeing him, I would defintely give our 2nd round pick for him. I would never though, give a 1st rounder up for a RB, unless they are a RB like Reggie Bush, or Lt someone that is just so special that can do everything. But RBs are way too easy to get.

PORTIS gets hurt a lot because of his stylke and is older then TURNER. IMO TURNER has the potential to be very, very special. PORTIS is close to DONE!
Our time has come! Rex will bring us a Super Bowl victory! Go Jets!

#4 User is offline   extmenace Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

So i am one of the people who like both portis and turner....Im just curious why does everyone think that the redskins are gonna ship off portis? did i miss an article that said there were rumors that the redskins might shop him because of betts last couple games? I mean it makes sence since he is cheaper but was there anything documented that i missed? or is everyone just assuming?

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady

17 POINTS!

#5 User is offline   kobeskool Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Kentucky Jet @ Feb 1 2007, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PORTIS gets hurt a lot because of his stylke and is older then TURNER. IMO TURNER has the potential to be very, very special. PORTIS is close to DONE!

iagree.gif but i dont think portis is close to done i dont think he can be a feature back anymore

#6 User is offline   VILMAmazing51 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

This is ridiculous.....never have I in my life heard a 25 year old 1500 yd running back referred to as "almost done"....common...and oh michael turner is younger...HE IS FREAKIN 24 FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!! Portis is a top 5 NFL running back and PROVEN.....turner is maybe in the top 30 and unproven.....im so sick of hearing about turner...yeah i wouldnt mind having him but not for a first rounder...and how does everyone know he is gonna be special...his running all day on a defense that is tired and already out of the game in 4th quarter.....portis is proven and by all rights ENTERING HIS PRIME....how can he be done.....there is no question who Id rather...PORTIS....but neither for our first rounder....but if they were the same cost....PORTIS.

FINALLY!!!! A REAL BIG BOY!!!

#7 User is offline   TheUltimate Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

I would have to say Portis, although he does seem alittle injury prone I believe he is the #2 talent wise RB in the league behind LT. And everyone who says they wouldn't give up our first round pick for Portis, I just wonder why? Portis is already proven and shown be 1 of the best RBs in the game. At the 25th pick we are lucky to get a starter, and maybe if we are lucky we get a Pro Bowler, but why not take the sure thing in Portis, then roll the dice with some other unknown. And I am not in love with Turner, but when it is brought up we would have to give our 1st rounder for him, everyone says no way because he is unproven. Well he is more proven then any runningback in the draft, none of the RBs in the draft have shown anything except in college, but they all have potential just like Turner, so what would you rather, Turner who has shown potential against NFL competition, or Michael Bush who has shown potential against college competition. They are both a risk, but I think Turner would be a better bet.
"Straight Cash Homey"

User Posted Image

#8 User is offline   ManginiIsMyHero Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets Football, Mets Baseball, parties, gaming, and programming.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

I wouldnt say portis is number 2. I'd give that to a healthy Shawn Alexander or Larry Johnson. Portis might not be a top 5 back but he's definately better than Turner. Turner is overhyped and to be honest reminds me a bit of Lamont Jordan. Solid backup, but I'm not sure he is a feature back. Portis is and has at least 2-3 more good seasons in him.
I changed my name, but I dont remember what it was... if anyone remembers please let me know.

#9 User is offline   cworth27 Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:51 PM

Like HermIsMyHero said I think Portis is a top 5 here in DC but in the right system he could be #2 easy. Portis is actually the only reason I watch Skins games so that should tell you how many games I saw this past year. =) I tried to add this as an open file but couldn't sorry if you view it. Portis was dressing as various characters and adressing the media the season before last and this was one of them my fav "Bro Sweets "
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

NOT A FEATURED BACK?!?! NOT WORTH OUR 1st ROUND PICK?!?!

I don't get some of you guys. He plays on a horribly run team from a personelle point of view with absolutely NO quality at the QB position when every team that he plays says "Stop Clinton Portis!"

Not only that but now he's "INJURY PRONE"?!?! Where do you guys get this information? He gets knicked up here and there but this is the first time in his NFL career that he's had a serious injury. His last 3 years he's missed a total of 4 games and 2 of those were week 17 restings before the playoffs.

Come on guys, some of you are living in the NOW and not using reasonable logic. The guy had 7 TDs in 8 games this year and 56 total for his career, not including the 2 he's thrown for. If we even had a chance to get Portis for only our #25 pick then I'd be ecstatic. Now I personally don't think the Redskins will trade him, I never did and I sure as hell don't think there's any validity to the rumors. I created this topic because I was sure some people prefered the hype of Turner over the "hype" of Portis. Difference is the "hype" that Portis has is called being a very productive running back in the NFL. All Turner has is hype and not only that but it's on the best running team in the NFL, possibly of all time the way LT is running.

I just can't believe some of you think he's no better than Lamont Jordan and not even a feature back anymore. That's insane and it's the other way around. Lamont Jordan had the same hype as Turner did and look how that turned out. There's absolutely no difference in the two either. They both weigh the same and are the same height. Both hyped up because they are the best "available" options. That doesn't mean they are starter material. Could be starter and quality starters are two different things. Turner is a could be, Portis IS a starter and not only that but a star. We'd be lucky to get him if the Redskins were that stupid.

#11 User is offline   VILMAmazing51 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (jets0n @ Feb 1 2007, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NOT A FEATURED BACK?!?! NOT WORTH OUR 1st ROUND PICK?!?!

I don't get some of you guys. He plays on a horribly run team from a personelle point of view with absolutely NO quality at the QB position when every team that he plays says "Stop Clinton Portis!"

Not only that but now he's "INJURY PRONE"?!?! Where do you guys get this information? He gets knicked up here and there but this is the first time in his NFL career that he's had a serious injury. His last 3 years he's missed a total of 4 games and 2 of those were week 17 restings before the playoffs.

Come on guys, some of you are living in the NOW and not using reasonable logic. The guy had 7 TDs in 8 games this year and 56 total for his career, not including the 2 he's thrown for. If we even had a chance to get Portis for only our #25 pick then I'd be ecstatic. Now I personally don't think the Redskins will trade him, I never did and I sure as hell don't think there's any validity to the rumors. I created this topic because I was sure some people prefered the hype of Turner over the "hype" of Portis. Difference is the "hype" that Portis has is called being a very productive running back in the NFL. All Turner has is hype and not only that but it's on the best running team in the NFL, possibly of all time the way LT is running.

I just can't believe some of you think he's no better than Lamont Jordan and not even a feature back anymore. That's insane and it's the other way around. Lamont Jordan had the same hype as Turner did and look how that turned out. There's absolutely no difference in the two either. They both weigh the same and are the same height. Both hyped up because they are the best "available" options. That doesn't mean they are starter material. Could be starter and quality starters are two different things. Turner is a could be, Portis IS a starter and not only that but a star. We'd be lucky to get him if the Redskins were that stupid.

iagree.gif
Its not that i dont think portis is worth our 1st....its just that i really think we need defense more than anything right now

#12 User is online   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:15 AM

i'd take turner for a 2nd instead of portis for a 1st. however if it was an even trade of a pick i'd take portis. i think turner has more potential but portis is the better back and he is still veyr young
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

We definately need defense. Can't deny that. I'm fine with Leon. I hate when people say "He's too small to carry the load." There's always an exception to that rule in which your size will always be in question until you actually prove it wrong! I hope the Jets give this next year to Leon to prove he can carry the Jets load. I think he's way too electrifying and too good a RB to not give him atleast 1 year to prove he can be the featured back.

From my point of view, Leon held up beautifully all year long and never lost that pop in his step, even after getting 20 carries in a tough game. The 2nd Miami game showed that. Isn't it funny how we went from 0 playmakers to too many playmakers that we can't get them all the ball in 1 freaking year? Mangini knows his football I'll tell you that much. And I don't think he's like Bill at all. This team still has a very distinct uniqueness. An identity if you will.

Anyway, the only way I part with a draft pick is if it's for Portis. Turner hasn't proven anything yet, let some dumb team like the Giants overpay to get him.

#14 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (VILMAmazing51 @ Feb 1 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is ridiculous.....never have I in my life heard a 25 year old 1500 yd running back referred to as "almost done"....common...and oh michael turner is younger...HE IS FREAKIN 24 FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!! Portis is a top 5 NFL running back and PROVEN.....turner is maybe in the top 30 and unproven.....im so sick of hearing about turner...yeah i wouldnt mind having him but not for a first rounder...and how does everyone know he is gonna be special...his running all day on a defense that is tired and already out of the game in 4th quarter.....portis is proven and by all rights ENTERING HIS PRIME....how can he be done.....there is no question who Id rather...PORTIS....but neither for our first rounder....but if they were the same cost....PORTIS.

Great post...I don't in wany way, shape, or form want to trade for Portis or Turner. But the people saying Turner is better and Portis is washed up just make me laugh. As VAmazing said...Portis is one year older...seriously...how is Turner any better long-term wise than Portis?

LT is two years older than Portis...is he "almost done"

Rookie Joseph Addai is only two years younger...man...that guy is "almost done" aswell...

Shaun Al is 4 years older...yep...he's a goner...

Edge James is a healthy 3 years older...wouldn't want him on my team...

Point is...Clinton Ports hasn't even peaked yet...and is only now just entering his prime. Given his already hefty body of work...that is pretty impressive. I don't want to trade for either of them...but on an even slate...there isn't even a thought...I'd take Clinton Portis any day.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   green_blood Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (jets0n @ Feb 2 2007, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We definately need defense. Can't deny that. I'm fine with Leon. I hate when people say "He's too small to carry the load." There's always an exception to that rule in which your size will always be in question until you actually prove it wrong! I hope the Jets give this next year to Leon to prove he can carry the Jets load. I think he's way too electrifying and too good a RB to not give him atleast 1 year to prove he can be the featured back.

From my point of view, Leon held up beautifully all year long and never lost that pop in his step, even after getting 20 carries in a tough game. The 2nd Miami game showed that. Isn't it funny how we went from 0 playmakers to too many playmakers that we can't get them all the ball in 1 freaking year? Mangini knows his football I'll tell you that much. And I don't think he's like Bill at all. This team still has a very distinct uniqueness. An identity if you will.

Anyway, the only way I part with a draft pick is if it's for Portis. Turner hasn't proven anything yet, let some dumb team like the Giants overpay to get him.

iagree.gif after a while, the portis and turnerr talk gets REALLY old. leon had respectable stats for a rookie and i think that b schott will keep him in the gameplan as the featured back next year to continue the test. defensive help is needed, the running game made great strides at the back end of the season, and leon was the catalyst.

#16 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

Portis by far simply because he has shown he can handle the load. Turner has only a handful of starts, if that, in this league so it's a no brainer really. Portis is worth far more than Turner and is only a year older than him. Portis is a top 10 back in this league whereas Turner has proven nothing much right now. Portis is worth far, far more than Turner.

#17 User is offline   VILMAmazing51 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Smedsthejet @ Feb 2 2007, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Portis by far simply because he has shown he can handle the load. Turner has only a handful of starts, if that, in this league so it's a no brainer really. Portis is worth far more than Turner and is only a year older than him. Portis is a top 10 back in this league whereas Turner has proven nothing much right now. Portis is worth far, far more than Turner.

Id venture to say portis is top 5....i dont watch a ton of skins games, but he is downright nasty...i know d.snyder is an idiot, but would he give up the best corner in football for an average running back...i dont think even he can make that mistake.....but here is how I see it as of today....

1) LT
2) LJ
3) Gore
4) Alexander
5) PORTIS
6) Steven Jackson
7) Tiki, now gone
8) Parker
9) Ronnie Brown
10) Rudi

You can all argue the order and whatever....but the point is portis is top 5...and def easily, easily in the top 10....I could add guys like

11) Westbrook
12) McGahee
13) Bush/McAllister
14) Edge, if he were on a team that had a line better than a high school line
15) Maroney

The point is Im at 15 and havent even considered turner yet....but this really isnt even an argument for me...the only edge turner may have is size...portis is 5-11 205 and turner is 5-10 237....didnt realize but portis actually isnt too too much bigger than leon

vs.

#18 User is offline   BESTHANDS8381 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

Portis easy, hes a PROVEN starter and one of the best in the league. Also we could let him bluk up a lil to take more of a beatin, remember Washington made him lose 10 lbs this offseason and that could have contributed to injury. So Portis BY FAR!

Chad= Cheerleader

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users