NYJetsFan.com Forums: Nytimes Stadium Article - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets win 3-1. Beat dolphins so bad that philbin isnt allowed back from england.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:37 PM) I would like to see us use a 4 man front on passing downs. With Wilk on the the end Rich on the other end and Williams and Harrison in the middle
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:37 PM) the interior pressure we'll bring is going to be crazy
ganggreen2003 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:37 PM) and if he's in game shape
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:37 PM) Or Use Rich and Williams in the middle and put Wilk and Coples on the Ends
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:38 PM) Richardson won't be suspended this season from that
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:40 PM) This D-line reminds me of the 2011 Giants who used JPP and Tuck on the inside and Osi and Kiwanuka on the ends
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:41 PM) 4 10 sack players at 1 points in their careers and no o-line could stop them all
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:41 PM) I think this D-line will be so much better
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:43 PM) The thing that is scary is that we also have a great secondary
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:44 PM) Exactly
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:44 PM) All of our additions in the secondary look great. Darrelle Revis changes secondaries
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:44 PM) Buster Skrine has been a beast at nickel
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) Take a sack or throw it up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) Marcus Gilchrist has been making plays in coverage at FS.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) The Island!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) Never should have let him go
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) We could have just taken Rich at 9
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:46 PM) but o well he is back now
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:46 PM) You got to think Revis has also never had this much talent around him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:48 PM) all 3 of our wins we pretty much dominated in
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:48 PM) Our defense has allowed the leagues best 13 PPG
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:49 PM) We beat us against Philly
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:50 PM) 4 turnovers and a Punt return TD
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:58 PM) If fitz can be smart with the ball and Marshall Decker and Ivory and stay healthy I think we can beat anyone
santana Icon : (05 October 2015 - 02:36 PM) http://www.sun-senti...1005-story.html
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:16 PM) I get it to a point why everyone is making a big deal about that missed call because difference between a win and a loss but I have never seen that call made in over 30 years of watching NFL so I guarantee that none of the fans , coaches or players new the rule. Yes the refs should know all the rules but they aren't computers and it's impossible for them to remember all the 1000's of rules. Especially an old rule no one but the officials ever heard of before. 22 new officials didn't help either. It took an old long time official now retired from officiating to tell the world the rule. Everyone and the officials will remember that rule from now on after all the media
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:27 PM) Lions fans are b*tching like hell about it. We would be if it happened to us but I think it's a bad rule any way and should be scrapped. If the defense causes the offensive player to fumble in the end zone because the defense makes a good play I personally think it would be bullshit to give the fumbling team the ball back. If the ball went out of bounds on its own or if a player tried to recover it and the ball went out of the end zone it's not a penalty. Both cases are a touchback so I feel that giving the ball back to the offense that fumbled it because of the defense batting the ball out of the end zone if the offense recovered the ball it would be a td so it would be bullshit to give them the ball back because of a simple ball bat. Rule should really be changed
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:30 PM) It's ok for the offense to deliberately take a safety to prevent a TD and only give up 2 points an benefit themselves so yeah I think it is an old out of date rule that should be thrown out. If the d makes a great play they shouldn't have to give the offense the ball back because of a stupid rule
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:30 PM) So I'm glad it wasn't called
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:31 PM) Hope it's changed next year
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:31 PM) it's been called a ton of times, they showed a montage o ESPN last night of a bunch of times it's been called
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:33 PM) just because one player made a great play, doesn't mean you can excuse someone making a bonehead play
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:34 PM) chancellor made a great play (remember when i wanted the jets to draft him?) but the LBer should have not illegally batted it, he could have tried to recover it or body blocked det from recovering.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:34 PM) Not sure what ESPN you had on ESPN China? I left ESPN on for 2 hours after the game and I never seen this montage you say. I'm calling you out as bullshit. Show me a video of proof
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:38 PM) Even the old ESPN official couldn't remember an instance of it being called. It isn't the same as the offense backing out of the end zone with the ball or being sacked in the end zone for a safety. Completely different rule and situation. I've never seen it called and I watch at least 6 games at a time a week. None of the ESPN announcer players, Ray Lewis, Dilfer, or Young even knew the rule and that's over 20 years of NFL experience. Yet none of them knew or understood the rule until it was explained in detail
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:40 PM) I've never once seen the ball given back to to offense so I challenge you to show me this montage you claim was on. If I didn't see it for two hours I after the game I'm calling bullshit on your end
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:43 PM) Say whatever you want but show me proof or just leave it be because I won't believe you without a bunch of video proof. I have a hell of a memory and if it ever was called maybe once or twice in the past 30 years but no way there is some montage
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:48 PM) Nether coach knew the rule either and they would know more of the rules than the players and fans. If not for a retired official bringing it up it probably would've never even been brought up at all
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:58 PM) I highly questionable is on now and they are even saying no one knew the rule or complained until they were told the rule.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 04:05 PM) I have seen plenty of games where defenders did knock the ball out of the end zone like the situation last night to prevent any possible touchdown not disputing that because that has happened a good many times. My point is I've never seen a flag thrown for it and the ball given to the offense. It's definitely an obsolete rule that should be thrown out. The NFL has made the rules so offensive friendly these days it's hard to play defense with out calls anymore. That is just one more bullshit rule to help the offense. Take the Jets Dolphins game for instance. Those bullshit pi calls against our defense for clearly uncatchable balls. Pi never should've never been called giving up like 60 yards on two calls and a td that never would've happened. At most they should've been 5 yard holding calls. Never would've been mad if they just called them holding calls.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 04:06 PM) Anyway I'm tired of all these offense friendly rules these days screwing over the defenses. It's starting to get like non touch flag football for the defenses.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 04:11 PM) You know it too. Our team has been a defensive team for well over a decade and so many bullshit calls have been called against our defense because of the new offensive friendly rules. So I say screw Detroit. I'm glad it wasn't called and a defense gets a break
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) call em a liar if you want, but I seen it man
santana Icon : (Today, 12:52 AM) guess I should enable a character limit for the shoutbox
santana Icon : (Today, 12:53 AM) getting a bit out of hand
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nytimes Stadium Article Jets President Jay Cross Gives His Take

#1 User is offline   bobzero11 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:28 AM

For the link to work you need to sign up for a FREE NYTimes account, it is really worth it... ok.gif

also im not sure if this belongs in this forum, but so be it...

May 7, 2005
Impact of a Stadium: A Look at Other Cities

For many foes of a plan to build a Jets stadium and convention center on the far West Side of Manhattan, the biggest concern is how such a megastructure would affect the neighborhood and the borough as a whole - from light to crowd noise to views of the Hudson River.

Members of Community Board 4, whose neighborhood includes the stadium's proposed site, are apprehensive. "Look at stadiums all over the country," said Walter Mankoff, the board's chairman. "You find nothing but bars and parking lots in the general vicinity."

Officials for the Jets and the city argue that the building will be an agent of renewal, anchoring and rejuvenating an area that now amounts to little more than abandoned rail yards and urban blight. Opponents say the stadium is a brassy and architecturally undistinguished behemoth that will compromise the neighborhood's character, breed congestion and fail to foster daytime activity in a dormant area.

In a recent interview at his Midtown office, Jay Cross, the Jets' president, cautioned that a stadium could not shoulder the entire burden of reviving a neighborhood. "One building can't do it on its own," he said.

Still, he added, a stadium can help.

He points to two others he was in charge of building: the American Airlines Arena in Miami in 1999, and the Air Canada Center in Toronto in 1998. His experience with them led to his being hired by the Jets.

In Miami, the development around the arena, home to the Miami Heat, a National Basketball Association team, includes a group of high-rise condominiums. Across Biscayne Boulevard, a few blocks north of the stadium, is the Performing Arts Center of Greater Miami, designed by Cesar Pelli, which includes a ballet and an opera house connected to a concert hall by a bridge. It is scheduled to open in the fall of 2006.

Last month, the city and Miami-Dade County announced plans for a new Miami Art Museum and Miami Museum of Science and Planetarium to be built in the neglected Bicentennial Park nearby; Cooper, Robertson & Partners is doing a master plan for the site.

In March, a developer agreed to pay $190 million for the area's 10 acres surrounding The Miami Herald's bay-front headquarters. Plans could include residential, office, hotel and retail buildings. Yet many argue that the sports arena had little to do with Miami's development spurt.

"It's done nothing for the neighborhood," Nancy Liebman, president of the Urban Environment League, an advocacy group in Miami-Dade County, said of the stadium. "Would you want to live next door to an arena? It blocked the whole waterfront; the streets get clogged."

While Ms. Liebman said she viewed Miami's building boom as generally positive, she added that it came about largely because of government efforts to clean up the area and lure developers. "People have confidence about coming into downtown," she said, "and none of it has to do with the stadium."

Others say the arena deserves more credit. "The American Airlines Arena was the beginning of the redevelopment of the entire downtown area," said Sherwood M. Weiser, chairman of the foundation charged with building the performing arts center.

"I believe these kind of institutional buildings - they're the catalyst," he added. "Just as Lincoln Center was on the West Side of New York. The whole area has taken on a life of its own."

But Mark S. Rosentraub, a sports economist and dean of the College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University, said Miami was a "fast-growth area" even before the arena.

"You could hang up a shingle, and it was going to cause economic development," he said.

Similarly, change was already under way in Toronto before the building of the Air Canada Center, home to the N.B.A.'s Raptors and the National Hockey League's Maple Leafs. The SkyDome, now known as the Rogers Center, which opened in 1989 and is home to the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team, had begun to change the area by ferrying people to games through mass transit rather than by building a sprawling parking lot.

"SkyDome was the big bet," Mr. Rosentraub said.

"The bottom line is, it worked," he added, noting that people are coming to games without their cars.

Toronto's development continues. Plans were announced last month for a $350 million hotel, condominium, shopping and entertainment complex to be built adjacent to the Air Canada Center, and for a $300 million Ritz-Carlton hotel and condominium project nearby.

Two other major development projects are already under way: the Sapphire Tower, billed as the city's tallest residential tower, and the Trump International Hotel and Tower, also downtown.

In New York, Mr. Cross is also gambling on not building parking lots. Downtown stadiums should avoid "seas and seas of parking," he said, which he called antithetical to sound environmental planning. He noted that transportation was already available - meaning trains, buses and ferries, as well as the planned extension of the No. 7 subway line - and that most football games were not at rush hour, when mass transit is crowded. The area already has some parking lots.

Mr. Mankoff of Board 4 warned that the neighborhood already had more cars than it could handle. "The Lincoln Tunnel is jammed," he said. "So are the ramps into the tunnel. It's the worst possible place to bring 75,000 people into the neighborhood."

"When it's not in use, it will be isolated and deserted, like the Javits Center is now," he said of the stadium, adding that he and his fellow residents would prefer a project that included residential, retail and commercial uses.

Amanda M. Burden, the director of the City Planning Department, asked the architect for the proposed stadium, Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates, to incorporate more street-level retail space and greenery into the design, and the firm obliged.

But even Mr. Cross acknowledged that it was "tough to put street life into these buildings" when they also had to involve so much stadium infrastructure, from vast boiling rooms to cooling systems to locker rooms to storage.

He emphasized that his two previous arenas, like the Jets stadium, were intended for areas that were desolate or in decline. The site of the American Airlines Arena in Miami, for example, had been dominated by abandoned rail tracks, parking lots, pawn shops and the Bicentennial Park, where the homeless congregated, he said.

"If we were proposing to put this in the West Village, yes, it would be a problem," he said of the Jets stadium. "New York has got quaint streets and neighborhoods. We also have our backyards, which are full of garbage. The West 30's are not anything New Yorkers are proud of. There isn't a neighborhood there."

The stadium's impact, he added, would take time to determine.

"You've got to give it 20 years," he said. "You've got to be patient. They can help neighborhoods," he said of stadiums, "but they're not instant panaceas. They will neither repel housing or attract it. There still needs to be a bona fide reason to build housing or commercial space as part of a well-thought-through package, because it's largely market driven."

"Times Square had all the good will to clean it up," he continued. "But it needed developers to make commitments."

The Jets stadium gained those kinds of commitments only in March, when developers made proposals for commercial and residential towers to counter Cablevision's $760 million competing bid for the property. The deal allowed the Jets to raise their own bid to $720 million from $100 million.

Over all, successful arenas depend on this kind of "concentrated planning," Mr. Rosentraub said, citing San Diego, Indianapolis and Cleveland as examples. Still, experts say the proposed Jets stadium is a tougher draw than the Miami and Toronto arenas for stores, restaurants and housing because the building itself will have far less sports activity; the Jets play only 10 home games a year. Baseball, by comparison, has 81 home games in addition to possible playoffs; it can draw three million people a year compared with football's 800,000 - and that's if all the football games sell out.

But Mr. Cross pointed out that the stadium would also be the site for conventions, college football games, soccer games and police academy graduations, raising its use to a minimum of 150 days a year. "That's us being superconservative," he said.

As for daytime foot traffic, Mr. Cross said there would eventually be art expos in the convention center and pregame events, adding that a stadium was not intended to generate round-the-clock activity. "It will be no more deserted than Park Avenue on a weekend night in August," he said.

Richard Ravitch, a former developer who served as chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and was once the state's top economic development official, expressed skepticism. "You need life and street activity to make a neighborhood," he said.
IPB Image<<<Don't know how to update this thing...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users