NYJetsFan.com Forums: Chrebet Calls It A Career - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ALL WE NEEDED WAS A FIELD GOAL
Canuck Jet Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) Harvin is Holmes 2.0, except punches for general bitchiness and annoying first down celebrations.
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) i'm not buying into the media nonsense
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:06 PM) Harvin is a playmaker, we needed one.
Canuck Jet Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:15 PM) I hope he tears it up as a Jet, but he's been tossed from 2 teams in as many years and hasn't cracked 1000 yds in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he had CTE from those brutal head hits, hence the aggression of late.
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:18 PM) I was tossed from two t-ball teams and some people still say i was the best hitter on timid deer lane
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:20 PM) bills RBs dropping like flies
Canuck Jet Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:20 PM) We'll only really know when the autopsy his brain. Stay tuned! Guy never should have played the Super Bowl after the 2 concussions he suffered against the Saints.
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:26 PM) whitehurst clipboard jesus
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 02:54 PM) brian shottenheimer must of lost his mind haha
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) fuckin orton
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) how does he keep doing it?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 04:53 PM) Jack Daniels
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 06:25 PM) murray horse
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:28 PM) GOD DAMN IT ANQUAN
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) what is this amateur hour!?!?!?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) come on!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:43 PM) Manning just broke the Passing TD record
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) :boredom: we could of had him a few years ago
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) but at least he didn't break it on us
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:45 PM) I don't think he wanted to be here
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I don't really care for passing records being broken. Qbs now have a lot of rules in their favor
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I mean even the catch that got them into the redzone was a PI call that wouldnt of been called when favre played
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:16 AM) is that a suggestion that Favre was a better QB than Peyton?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 AM) No it's a suggestion that passing records today are a bit skewed by the modern rules
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 AM) everyone knows Favre is the bestest ever that's not even an argument duhhhhh
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:18 PM) Cool jets throw blanket - http://www.woot.com/...ref=cnt_wp_2_22
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:21 PM) jets slippers yo
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:37 PM) jets slippers the OG of cool
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:10 PM) so Harvin will be wearing #16
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) 10 and 6
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) WOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) 9 wins a row for the Jets!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:28 PM) streets is real
santana Icon : (Today, 12:36 PM) hey 05.. yo 05... 05!!!!
santana Icon : (Today, 12:36 PM) UEFA TIME
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:35 PM) Jets to sign Kerley to a 4 year extension
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) he's a good slot WR, i'm assuming we got him cheap, can't complain
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) we need to lock up wilk. but if harvin pans out, were set at WR for the next 4 years as decker, kerly, and harvin are all under contract.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:44 PM) Ivory is good too, we need a speed back (CJ sin't cuting it) and some o-line and mainly a QB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:46 PM) Our offensive weapons aren't bad, need a qb and ol
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 02:09 PM) they were bad when decker was hurt and it was nelson and kerly starting and salas in the slot
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:40 PM) That damn street thug Kerley
Resize Shouts Area

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Chrebet Calls It A Career He ends his career with 580 receptions

#41 User is offline   Amen Icon

• Head Writer / 2008 Best Mod Award
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

I understand where BlueHen was coming from referencing Chrebet's skin color. It was one of the things that opened him up for criticism initially, even before his size. It's not racist to be observant - and there's no denying that the WR position is black-dominated.

But when bluehen said:
no one thought would be in the NFL yet manages to have a long successful career.

It was in defiance of those odds that earns him the ultimate honor as a Jet. Greatness isn't defined solely by statistics. Having Chrebet be a player who stood loyal to one organization, fought for yards, fought for the team and was the reason we could keep drives alive and win games qualifies him as great in my eyes.

For you to be a Jet fan, and not want to see an honor given to an underrated athlete who dedicated his adult football career to an organization that's never gotten fair treatment in the media is ridiculous. He could've gone the Coles route in the past and demanded insane amounts of money and tested free agent markets, and he didn't. He made plays for the team when other players couldn't. He's one of the few great Jets in our history.. even greater than Curtis Martin, in my opinion.

#42 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Amen @ Dec 22 2005, 06:18 PM)
It was in defiance of those odds that earns him the ultimate honor as a Jet. Greatness isn't defined solely by statistics. Having Chrebet be a player who stood loyal to one organization, fought for yards, fought for the team and was the reason we could keep drives alive and win games qualifies him as great in my eyes.

Point taken, I definately understand and expected most Jet fans to want Wayne's number retired. I'm not trying to take anything away from Chrebet he was a good player and a real good Jet, who did defy the odds. My point is that I think guys need to have those elite numbers or championships (like Martin or Namath) plus the emotional ties to an organization and its fan base to have their number retired. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind I was just giving my opinion and got drawn into an arguement. But hey I won't complain if the Jets do decide to retire Chrebet's number, I can't argue that he has been one of the faces of the Jets for over 10 years, so if they decide that he has earned it then that's fine.

#43 User is offline   Vilma#51 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (NYJBlueHen @ Dec 22 2005, 06:28 PM)
Point taken, I definately understand and expected most Jet fans to want Wayne's number retired. I'm not trying to take anything away from Chrebet he was a good player and a real good Jet, who did defy the odds. My point is that I think guys need to have those elite numbers or championships (like Martin or Namath) plus the emotional ties to an organization and its fan base to have their number retired. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind I was just giving my opinion and got drawn into an arguement. But hey I won't complain if the Jets do decide to retire Chrebet's number, I can't argue that he has been one of the faces of the Jets for over 10 years, so if they decide that he has earned it then that's fine.

Opinons are your thoughts to keep in other topic. Your a Jet fan have curtiousy and respect and post a topic like THOUGHTS ON WAYNE GONE or something like that don't post disrespectful post and thoughts like that thats how wayne fans fell you blew a topic because you wanted to give a opinon out along with Jetsohfive you guys need to stop acting like a bunch of snobs thats what it all comes down too those opinons are going to make Jets fans Really made TRUE heart Jets fans. So why bother to start a fight of words for man??? i understand some of what your saying but you pick the wrong place to doing it its like Tony G's son dieing and me telling him to return to the team next week or askin him would you do that??? proably a bad example but man try to view your point of views in a diffent place not this nice topic and i proably would of took your side

and Jetsohfive who ever made you a Mod they should think about a Brand new one because your doing a bad job with keepin the tempo on this site the way it supose to be every topic theres allways a war of words with you or someone on this site. I'm not a saint because me and Reg allways fight and we never liked each other since the day he pick to side joke me to gain friends on the site but its my opinon and its my thought of the guy..... Jetsohfive i have a suggusting and thats take a break for a little while from being a mod and look after Ron and some of the other vets and see how it works because your truely making this site a shit hole. i don't hate you or noting i used to. latey you been postin some nice post in my opinon but you find a way to blow things away and make a big sence....
<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/Jedi+Master1121.swf" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

#44 User is offline   ganggreen2003 Icon

• NO FAT CHICKS
  • Icon
  • Interests:J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
    NY YANKEES
    SYRACUSE ORANGE
    AND ANYTHING NEW YORK

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

I think the defining moment of Wayne's career will be his last play...on the 3rd down and him making that clutch catch....I have been a huge fan of Wayne....and I am sad to see him never play another down in the NFL...but I hope the JETS do the honor for Wayne and RETIRE his #80 Jersey cause noone will ever match the heart and the desire of one of the greatest JETS in the history of the organization....THANK YOU AGAIN WAYNE...YOU WILL BE MISSED #80 FOREVER!!! THANK YOU FOR ALL THE MEMORIES!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well YOU BETTER BLEED GREEN & WHITE!!!!

https://twitter.com/#!/NYJ_Rob3136

http://www.facebook....47353176?v=wall

http://www.nyjetsfan.../gg03on1050.mp3

S-Dubb: like if she was giving me a handjob and I saw that thumb I don't know how I'd react

#45 User is offline   silversword55 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets Football, Football, Video Games, Hip-Hop, R&amp;B, and Reggae music

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (JCBizkit87 @ Dec 22 2005, 03:18 PM)
Numbers my ass.

He was a great Jet, and he does deserve his number to be retired, and if you do nto believe that you need a smack in the face.

iagree.gif Jc.

It's a shame Chrebet got injured. sad.gif

#46 User is offline   JSOTF Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (ganggreen2003 @ Dec 22 2005, 04:16 PM)
I will always respect you as a player, a person, and a NEW YORK JET...THANK YOU WAYNE!!!

I AGREE.....THANKS SIR WAYNE...

#47 User is offline   ganggreen2003 Icon

• NO FAT CHICKS
  • Icon
    NY YANKEES
    SYRACUSE ORANGE
    AND ANYTHING NEW YORK

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

We all knew this day was going to happen sooner than later and yet we can't believe that the UNDERDOG WAYNE CHREBET is never going to run out on gameday and join his teammates and to the roar of the LOYAL JETS fans....Wayne proved to his critics that he was good enough to play Pro-football, he proved that heart does take you places if you have it in you to achieve a dream and the people that need the most thanks for this great career are the JETS because they gave him a chance...they could have said NO and never give us a chance to see what Wayne could do on the football field...instead they gave him a shot and he proved for 11 yrs to be a good pick-up for the JETS...yes we all can remember the JETS Bears game 2 yrs ago when on the 4th down as we drove down the field and we tried to win the game and Wayne decided to try to jump over the defenders and ended up fumbling the ball but yet that is a side note to what Wayne meant to us JETS fans as a player, as a person and ultimately as a FAN FAVORITE....I can't say it enough...THANK YOU WAYNE FOR ALL THE MEMORIES!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

S-Dubb: like if she was giving me a handjob and I saw that thumb I don't know how I'd react

#48 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (JCBizkit87 @ Dec 22 2005, 03:18 PM)
Numbers my ass.

He was a great Jet, and he does deserve his number to be retired, and if you do nto believe that you need a smack in the face.

WTF.gif How come that whenever my opinion is different than yours, I need a slap in the face or I need to get off the site? You and Vilma#51. It gets ridiculous.
Posted Image

#49 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:40 PM

Here's an honest opinion for you... I could care less if they retire Martin's jersey. Martin was drafted by the NE Pats and played there for 4 years. Let them retire his jersey, that's where he started his career and really had his best years until last season.

However, that being stated... Chrebet opitimizes what a real "player" is. He didn't treat football as a "business" like you see most NFL players referring to it as. He had so much respect for being a Jet and playing for the team he "loved" that it came through in his playing. That's what made him great. Not to mention he is the clutchest player to ever wear a Jets jersey behind Joe Willie Namath.

Seriously, Martin's jersey number getting retired doesn't trump Chrebet's jersey getting retired. I think if 28 is retired, you better retire 80!

#50 User is offline   ganggreen2003 Icon

• NO FAT CHICKS
  • Icon
    NY YANKEES
    SYRACUSE ORANGE
    AND ANYTHING NEW YORK

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (jets0n @ Dec 22 2005, 08:15 PM)
Here's an honest opinion for you... I could care less if they retire Martin's jersey. Martin was drafted by the NE Pats and played there for 4 years. Let them retire his jersey, that's where he started his career and really had his best years until last season.

However, that being stated... Chrebet opitimizes what a real "player" is. He didn't treat football as a "business" like you see most NFL players referring to it as. He had so much respect for being a Jet and playing for the team he "loved" that it came through in his playing. That's what made him great. Not to mention he is the clutchest player to ever wear a Jets jersey behind Joe Willie Namath.

Seriously, Martin's jersey number getting retired doesn't trump Chrebet's jersey getting retired. I think if 28 is retired, you better retire 80!

I could not have said it better...I totally agree with JETSON....even though Curtis should get #28 retired by the JETS #80 better damn well be retired before that ever happens....if you go and show the upmost respect to Curtis by retiring his # when he does finally hang up his cleats....you better have done it after Wayne and if the past 11 yrs don't constitute for doing such a noble act for Wayne...then do it for the mere fact that Wayne who was given no chance to play football went against the odds and did himself and the JETS proud by donning the NEW YORK JETS JERSEY WITH THE UPMOST RESPECT AND DESIRE which is what the NFL thrives on....
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

WTF.gif ALL of you, SHUT THE HELL UP! Guys, lost in admist all the debating about a damn number is the fact the man who wore the number is retiring! That's why the topic is started, that's what we should care about! angry.gif
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#52 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again.

I agree, completely. Wayne was a fan favorite,classy,respected and had a big heart for the organization and the fans. Not to mention a sureshot reciever and hands of glue. Fairwell Wayne you'll live on in spirit.

Now that, thats out... I can say that nobody is thinking retiring a number. numbers don't get retired for a player winning a popularity contests they get retired for GREATNESS.

#53 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:48 PM

If Wayne Chrebet wasn't great then neither was Curtis Martin! End of story!

Curtis might have been "consistant" but he was never "GREAT" in terms of stats. But everyone would agree that his number should be retired... it's two sided man. Apples to Apples... Curtis never played better than Chrebet. Chrebet has more clutch plays than Curtis will ever have. End of story.

And little boy, don't go telling people to shut up. Wayne is RETIRING which means his number should be RETIRED or else some shmuck ass punk WR is gonna wear it defame on of the greatest players to ever wear a Jets uniform.

#54 User is offline   Vilma#51 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (jets0n @ Dec 22 2005, 08:23 PM)
If Wayne Chrebet wasn't great then neither was Curtis Martin! End of story!

Curtis might have been "consistant" but he was never "GREAT" in terms of stats. But everyone would agree that his number should be retired... it's two sided man. Apples to Apples... Curtis never played better than Chrebet. Chrebet has more clutch plays than Curtis will ever have. End of story.

And little boy, don't go telling people to shut up. Wayne is RETIRING which means his number should be RETIRED or else some shmuck ass punk WR is gonna wear it defame on of the greatest players to ever wear a Jets uniform.

One of my favorite posters for a reason another great post. This is why the guy made front paper people drinks.gif *
<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/Jedi+Master1121.swf" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

#55 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:04 PM

Guys...it's a number, how about we worry about the person who wore the number, okay?
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#56 User is offline   Maynard13 Icon

• 2005 Best Signature
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

STILL...WHAT IS THIS????? SOME ONE TELL ME??

One of the most beloved Jets calls it a carrer, so his goodbye topic becomes a debate on how good he really was. Your entitled to whatever you think about Wayne, but in his goodbye thread??!!?!?!

I personally think someone shouldn't lock this, but start a new Good Bye Wayne topic, where we can say good bye, and not fight about his skills and abilities. Start a "Chrebets number retired" Thread if you want to do that.

Wayne...I love you, and I will NEVER forget what you've done durning my time as a fan, and as previously stated, your number 1 on the list of guys that have left that have a strong place in my heart....

#57 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

“There was nothing like game day for me. I’m hoping to find something to replace that feeling and I don’t think there ever will be. I always said I would pay so much for my friends and family to run out of the tunnel one day, just to know what it’s like to drive to a game with the music on, and you see everybody with your jersey on, the Jets chant, and being the center of that. It’s been the greatest 11 years of my life." - Wayne Chrebet

Sounds to me like Wayne also either believes his number will be retired or someone has already informed him that it will be. It definitely will not be this year though as Wayne has already said that he's going to wait until after the season ends to file his retirement papaers with the NFL.

“Once day I just remembered what happened during the play, and I just remember playing and I remember seeing like a real white light,” he said. “I don’t know if it was the field or just when my head hit the ground. I remember just kind of hearing voices and that kind of stuff and the next thing you know, I’m home. It’s weird.”

Now that sounds like something scary and someone that definitely put him body on the line for this team. JUST LIKE HE ALWAYS DID.
I will definitely be one of those fans wearing #80 proudly on the day that Mr. Chrebet steps foot onto the field at the Meadowlands for the last time.

Not to take anything away from Wayne, but wouldn't it be something if they retired he & Vinny's jerseys at the same time? Vinny could throw Wayne one final pass & have Wayne get his feet in right along the sideline one more last time? Can't think of anyone I'd rather see catch a Testaverde pass nor anyone I'd rather see throw Wayne his last catch. (Wishful thinking? Maybe not. Think about Mo & Marvin.)

Anyway....thank you Wayne for all of the great memories!!!! There will never be another #80 in this Jets fan's mind.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#58 User is offline   oracle401 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:28 PM

Thank you, Wayne. Only sports jersey I've ever owned.
drinks.gif

#59 User is offline   ganggreen2003 Icon

• NO FAT CHICKS
  • Icon
    NY YANKEES
    SYRACUSE ORANGE
    AND ANYTHING NEW YORK

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

I had a feeling when I saw that look of his eyes glazed over when he made the clutch 3rd down catch that it was the last time we were ever going to see Wayne play football....I think the best way to honor Wayne would be on Opening Day next season as we bring in a NEW HC(who knows who it may be), a NEW RB(REGGIE BUSH), and WAYNE'S # being retired....on a Warm September afternoon drinks.gif HERE'S TO YOU WAYNE!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 Guest_JCBizkit87_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (JetsOhFive @ Dec 22 2005, 11:58 PM)
WTF.gif How come that whenever my opinion is different than yours, I need a slap in the face or I need to get off the site?  You and Vilma#51.  It gets ridiculous.

You know why you need a smack in the face for saying Wayne should not have his jersey retired. The thing you said, you need stats to be considered able to have your jersey number retired, then you would be saying that when Derek Jeter retires from the yankees, he shouldn't have his number 2 jersey retired, and if you really believe that, then you truely are a moron, I have said it over, and over again.

Wayne Chrebet is to Jets as Derek Jeter is to Yankees.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users