NYJetsFan.com Forums: A Cassel Caveat - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

BEARS VS PACK MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBAWLLLL WOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:32 PM) Dude bironas was solid that really sucks
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:30 PM) Sunday kinda sucks without jets football
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) So who's having JETS withdrawls?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) I didn't even watch any 1pm games cause all they had were the CHEATriots on
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) now I'm flipping between the Den/Sea and the Az/SF games
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:51 PM) http://cdn.nextimpul...lbergstoned.gif
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) HILARIOUS!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:56 PM) kraft is a pathetic troll
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:56 PM) and even a "fan" of the CHEATriots doesn't even give him any attention
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:28 PM) I still can't believe we lost to the packers and they go and lose to Detroit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:28 PM) we lost that game they didn't beat us
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:55 PM) I really hope Decker is able to play tomorrow
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:55 PM) but without risking further injury cause we are going to need him later in the season
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:56 PM) and our running game better go off tomorrow night
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:51 PM) some good games today
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:51 PM) manning 4th quarter drive was pretty sick
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:52 PM) so was russels OT drive
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:52 PM) cousins looks legit for the skins
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:52 PM) eagles another 4th quarter come back they seem really well conditioned
santana Icon : (Today, 09:58 AM) So will our corners hold up tonight
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 10:21 AM) we might be lucky cause both marshall and jeffrey are banged up. holmes might hurt us though
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:20 AM) gameday
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:20 AM) finally can watch a game live, pumped
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:21 AM) We have to get pressure on Cutler, force him into mistakes. Last time we played the Bears I remember Cutler torched us a bit because we gave him all day to throw.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:21 AM) Hopefully Geno plays a great game tonight, the Bears defense isn't good.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:58 AM) Looks like Milber won't play tonight
Chaos Icon : (Today, 12:25 PM) Milliner's injuries are starting to get annoying
Chaos Icon : (Today, 12:26 PM) Jets D-line needs to wreck havoc on Cutler. if he gets time to pass, Jets won't be able to keep up
santana Icon : (Today, 01:20 PM) Fire the conditioning coach!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:56 PM) Bears will be without their starting LG (Matt Slauson) and starting center toight
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:57 PM) I don't think it's the ankle either with Milber, it's his quad. I didn't think the Jets should have played him last week, he was clearly not ready. High ankle sprains can linger, we need him back 100%
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:17 PM) Milber lol
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:18 PM) I wish the Jets would sign Barrnet too
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 03:00 PM) Anybody know who's playing on Monday night football tonight?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:08 PM) lol
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:18 PM) dumbass of the year? http://theredzone.or...k-/Default.aspx
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:20 PM) Not sure
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:48 PM) looks like Decker won't be playing either...
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 04:49 PM) So any chance saunders or hakim steps up in a WR role?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 04:50 PM) right now its kerly and nelson starting and salas in the #3 spot? with saunders and hakim at 4 and 5. thats just gross. our WRs and CBs are pathetic
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:00 PM) Time for Jace Amaro to step up
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:06 PM) IT'S MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL BITCHES!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:17 PM) Monday Night Countdown just said that Decker is playing
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 05:23 PM) yeah i can see amaro and cumberland having bigger roles. plus it'll be easier to run out of 2 TE sets. Hopefully we don't see any wild cat / vick BS tonight
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 05:24 PM) decker is gonna be ineffective if his hammy is sitll hurting. he's gutting it out like marshall and jeffrey might do. this game is full of banged up WRs
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A Cassel Caveat

#1 User is offline   SignalZero Icon

• User
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Former Site Admin/Publisher
    NYJetsFan.com

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:33 AM

A CASSEL CAVEAT
Posted by Mike Florio on November 17, 2008, 8:25 a.m.

Of the teams that receive mentions in the ongoing discussion regarding the 2009 destination of Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, the Jets present the most intriguing possibility.

The defection of Cassel from the Pats to the Jets would further that whole Fredo vibe thatís going on between the franchises, and it would create some potentially intriguing Brady vs. Cassel battles, twice per year.

But thereís an important thing to keep in mind as the coming free agency period approaches: The Jets currently have the worst cap situation of any NFL team for the coming league year.

Even if quarterback Brett Favre retires after 2008, which would free up $13 million in cap space, past contracts are expected to create significant problems via the achievement of incentives and escalators by various players.

Whenever a team goes out and brings in a ton of free agents in any given season, a salary cap day of reckoning eventually arises. As we understand it, that day is coming for the Jets on the first day of the 2009 league year.

The specific numbers arenít clear, but the thinking in some circles is that the Jets will have a very hard time competing for Cassel or any other high end free agent in 2009, especially as players try to get even more money than usual with the possibility of a work stoppage looming.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, if the Patriots have the cap space to carry Casselís cap number for a short period of time, the franchise tag likely is coming for Cassel, and then the Pats will trade him. And we suspect that the Pats wonít choose to do any business with the Jets, if New England has any other option.

#2 User is offline   theanalogkid Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

Tannenbaum is no idiot. All the contracts that were given out have escape clauses in them, I believe Pace has a $9 million roster bonus come next March, he'll probably never see it or it will be pushed into the up and coming uncapped year.
...no hero in your tradgey, no daring in your escape, no salutes to your surrender, nothing noble in your fate....Rush, The Pass.

#3 User is offline   The Reverend Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

I wouldn't want Cassell. I think the team makes him look alot better than he is.
Sal Paolantonio commenting on the difference in the Ryan and Mangini atmospheres in the building:
"It's like going from Alcatraz to Dorney Park."

It is better to destroy than create what is meaningless, so the picture will not be finished.
erikcoleman#26

#4 User is offline   wichitacommish Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Interests:My Kids.
    The Jets.
    Fantasy Football.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

If we try to sign every QB that rings up 400 yards on us, that list could get pretty long. smile.gif
hysterical.gif

#5 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Nov 17 2008, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tannenbaum is no idiot. All the contracts that were given out have escape clauses in them, I believe Pace has a $9 million roster bonus come next March, he'll probably never see it or it will be pushed into the up and coming uncapped year.

Agreed!

Tannenbaum knows exactly what he's doing and besides, f*ck Matt Cassel!

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

We aren't going after Cassel either way. If we were, I would be PISSED!!!!! I believe more in what we have over Cassel, I just don't see that much out of Cassel. I see him playing within the system which is a good thing, but what I mean is if his WRs aren't wide open or make serious YAC he does nothing. He isn't that accurate, the only throw I saw that was great was the one to Moss, but I believe that is a fluke.
I believe more in Clemens as a eventual starter than Cassel, all I see is Cassel being a good back up for the Patriots. I even like more out of Ratliff! At least Ratliff was showing the ability to throw a pass on spot to a WR. Mark my words, whoever signs Cassel to be their Starting QB will be effed.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Nov 17 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We aren't going after Cassel either way. If we were, I would be PISSED!!!!! I believe more in what we have over Cassel, I just don't see that much out of Cassel. I see him playing within the system which is a good thing, but what I mean is if his WRs aren't wide open or make serious YAC he does nothing. He isn't that accurate, the only throw I saw that was great was the one to Moss, but I believe that is a fluke.
I believe more in Clemens as a eventual starter than Cassel, all I see is Cassel being a good back up for the Patriots. I even like more out of Ratliff! At least Ratliff was showing the ability to throw a pass on spot to a WR. Mark my words, whoever signs Cassel to be their Starting QB will be effed.

Who you kiddin, you'd throw Clemens out like last week's garbage if the Jets had even a remote chance of getting Brady Quinn.

We all might as well admit that we all have our own personal favorites for Favre's successor.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#8 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Am I the only one that would choose Tyler Thigpen over Matt Cassell at this point? Thigpen has no O-line and his only target is a TE past his prime and he's looked every bit as good at Cassell. Now let them switch teams and see who does better.

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Mr_Jet @ Nov 17 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who you kiddin, you'd throw Clemens out like last week's garbage if the Jets had even a remote chance of getting Brady Quinn.

We all might as well admit that we all have our own personal favorites for Favre's successor.

I never said I wouldn't, I just wouldn't want Cassel. Thats my opinion, I think hes nothing. Will be a waste for any team that goes after him. I doubt we go after him either way.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

my personal favorite is who pick in the first round 2010/11 draft
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#11 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

I stiill think it is funny how some of you are such idiots to put down Cassel so easily.He has made leaps and bounds in the short time he has played.Some of you have blinders on not to see this.I think the man has a future as a starting qb.The way he is playing now more experience is only going to make the man better.
At least Mr_Jet also sees this.When Brady came in off the bench the same crap was said about him and look what he is now.
Clemens did alot worse his first year and we dont know what the hell to expect out of Ratliff.
Cassel has the Pats at 6-4 with no running game and anyone that says the qb position isnt the hardest job on the team has no true knowledge of football.Whether you like the Pats or not anyone who cant respect what he has done is an idiot.
With no running game that system belief is bullshit.Its not like the receivers are holding the ball at the snap.
That comeback he had against us at the end of the game was literally amazing and no qb could have done it anny better.
That man has obvious skills and with no practice over the years to establish good timing with the first team to pick things up as quickly as he has done is really impressive in my opinion.

#12 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

I guess we're idiots because we don't see Cassel as a starter.... Seriously bump this thread if you want too, but I bet he doesn't amount to anything as a starter. I can see the Patriots retaining him also, as they are going to need a quality backup with Brady having a knee injury.
But if he goes to a team to become a starter you can bump this thread, because I doubt he does shit as a starter for another team. The guy can't complete anything 20 yards out, what he has like 11 completions all year 20+ yards out. Thats horrible. Shows me he has little accuracy.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

He's a system Q.B. He has NO downfeild passing attack. The scheme is set up for him to throw 10 yard routes all game. I guess you can chalk me up as being an idiot too.

#14 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Let's clear one thing up. Not being able to do something and not trying to do something are two totally different things. Cassel does not try to throw those passes because he is not asked to throw 20+ yard passes. What is the point of throwing a 20+ yard pass when Moss is doubled covered on almost every play. They use Moss to draw double coverage which leaves Welker or Gaffney open. What is the use of having 3 receivers 30 yards down the field, when they already have one receiver that is almost always double covered? It makes sense to let Moss run down the field with two DBs and keep Welker and Gaffney below 20 yards from the line of scrimmage. 1. That will be a more accurate pass, 2. it's enough to get a first down and 3. it makes the running backs receiving threats too (spreading the defense). But you have to have a QB that can find the wholes in the defense and get the ball there quickly. That whole may not always be 20+ yards.

This sounds so much like the old Clemens vs. Pennington debates. Arm strength vs. accurate passing; and it's the same folks that were arguing about how great, important, and wonderful arm strength is who are now complaining about Cassel's style of play. It wasn't Favre's arm strength that won the game last Thursday. It was smart accurate passing that kept him from getting an INT and helped win the game. I'd rather see an 11 yard pass with the WR getting 8 yards of YAC, for a first down; than see a 25 yard pass that gets picked off. Long balls are pretty to see but not when the other team picks it off and starts running the other way.

P.S. The TD pass to Gaffney was for 19 yards, that's pretty damn close to 20 yards so he can throw a 20 yard pass when he needs to.

I can't believe you guys got me defending a Patriots player. Look pass the uniform.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

I've seen he try to throw downfield, he throws it way off most of the time. He has very little accuracy... Most of his throws are within 15 yards. You can think what you want, think that hes some great starter for all I care, but I guarantee you he doesn't do shit as a starter on another team.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Nov 18 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've seen he try to throw downfield, he throws it way off most of the time. He has very little accuracy... Most of his throws are within 15 yards. You can think what you want, think that hes some great starter for all I care, but I guarantee you he doesn't do shit as a starter on another team.

Yeah right. You guarantee it huh, well alright Mr. Namath. I never said he'd be great I didn't even say I wanted him on the Jets, all I said was he's got talent and potential and that I wouldn't be opposed to it if they got him.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#17 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Nov 18 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The whole reason I am saying you are an idiot is because the man has played what now?????Ten games now in what six or seven years???? And you expect him to be accurate right away in all his throws.I dont care what sport it is or how great the greatest star is in that sport timing and accuracy take time and lots and lots of practice.I dont know how many times I have heard in the NFL that a qb and receiver arent in time together because they havent practiced enough.

You want an examples?.Take Lowery for instance,he is making all kinds of rookie mistakes but we can all see he has skills.No one here doesnt think he will get better with more experience.How about Revis?the leap he has made from last year and he was pretty good then too.Oh how about Favre coming here and looking pretty uncomfortable his first few games before getting the hang of it.Hell plus Favre was down right shitty his first year in Atlanta.Or how about Eli Manning and how inconsistant he was for years and suddenly mid last year and pretty much all of this year he is looking like Peyton.Need I go on?Hell look at Portis. I have followed him since Denver.He has made leaps and bounds since his rookie year.Randel El.
I could go on all day.Hell I could go into basketball examples too.

The point is no one knows how good or bad Cassel is but he has showed he has skills and being his only experience in college and the NFL is in practice without first teams to come in to this stage and perform as well as he has is amazing to say the least.But you guys expect a man with no experience to come into this league and play like a Dan Marino right off the bat.
Name someone else that has his credentials and has ever even started a game less play that well.If he was crappy there is no way he would have pulled off that drive against the Jets at the end.That took skill.Plus no can argue that down field throws are the hardest for any qb even experienced and I would have actually been surprised if was real accurate on down field throws

#18 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Actually Bill Bilichick is the Man and the most valuable in the success of the Pats .
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users