NYJetsFan.com Forums: Why Do You Guys Love Vilma So Much? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:49 PM) I think i saw some breakdown that he just runs out to far and then keeps his hands way too far down
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) Balotelli and Sterling are going to have to be incredible
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) yeah he's really poor at coming out, timing, all of it
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) but as a shot stopper hes incredible
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) Ramos is out i believe
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) I like varane but hes doubtful also
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) yeah Pepe and Varane at the back for Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) ITS GONNA BE GUD 05
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) Arbeloa(LFC former player) and Marcelo
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) nervous
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) i gotta shower then i'm running down to the bar
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:49 PM) believe!!!
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why Do You Guys Love Vilma So Much?

#1 User is offline   SignalZero Icon

• User
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Former Site Admin/Publisher
    NYJetsFan.com

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

Why do you guys love Vilma so much? OK he had a lot of tackles in his rookie year but he is in no way a dominant LB. Can you honestly recall any bone jarring tackles or outstanding plays that he has made? He will make a tackle each and every time he gets his hands on someone, but that's when he isn't taken out of the play by the O Line. I'm not just talking about this year, I'm talking about since day one. Do you guys really think he's in the class of Zach Thomas or Ray Lewis?

#2 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (SignalZero @ Jan 23 2007, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you guys love Vilma so much? OK he had a lot of tackles in his rookie year but he is in know way a dominant LB. Can you honestly recall any bone jarring tackles or outstanding plays that he has made? He will make a tackle each and every time he gets his hands on someone, but that's when he isn't taken out of the play by the O Line. I'm not just talking about this year, I'm talking about since day one. Do you guys really think he's in the class of Zach Thomas or Ray Lewis?

What the hell do you mean YOU GUYS? What kind of guys are you talking about Ron?

Seriously though, I used to like Vilma a lot more but it's seeming to be evident that he's not a fit in the 3-4. However, it was his only year in the system and with an offseason of experience in it and learning it then who knows what could happen. Honestly, I wouldn't really have a problem with him staying or going. If he stays, then the Jets must think he can produce, but if he goes, and like Ron says trade him for a #1, I wouldn't be against that either. Two #1's and Two #2's...I'd be with that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

The play I remember was him intercepting a pass from the Rams and bringing it for a TD.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

Why do you guys love Vilma so much?

Because he's a badass. It's not his fault Mangini switched to a defense that "supposedly" doesn't suit him. Really, he's got the skills and the talent. We've cited many other ILB's that are the same size and have been successful. Really the problem lies on the Jets DLine. They are midgets up there. Once we get a decent DLine going and Vilma has another year to get acclimated we'll be singing some praises again.

You don't trade Vilma though. He's too good.

#5 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

I agree with Jets0n.

Let's give him a Vince Wolfork type of N.T first. We are the only 3-4 team in the league that doesn't have a 3-4 dline. Give Vilma some time. You don't piss and sh!t on a guy that's been going through a system change and doesn't have the proper components to run the newly acclimated system.

I posted a quote from Bruschi on here not too long ago. I went something like this (mind you Bruschi is same size as Vilma)

Bruschi was asked what a player like Vince Wilfork is to him and this defense his response was. " I cannot put it into words"

Give Vilma a Chance. At the end of the day you'll be happy we kept him. Donnie Edwards is the same size as Vilma and he's all world. WHY?.... because he has Jamal Williams at N.T.

I think I've made my point.

#6 User is offline   CrazyHorseDave Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

I used to like him .. 'til he missed brady in that wild card game

now .. he's dead to me

j/k .. I still like the guy and as has been said if we can get somebody up front who can take up some of the offensive line and free Vilma up to make plays he will be a dominant player again

I give him a lot of credit for toughing it out this season and not bitching about the switch to 3-4 or using it as an excuse

now if he would on learn to tackle his buddy from 'the U'!!!

#7 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

Why do you guys love Vilma so much? OK he had a lot of tackles in his rookie year but he is in know way a dominant LB. Can you honestly recall any bone jarring tackles or outstanding plays that he has made? He will make a tackle each and every time he gets his hands on someone, but that's when he isn't taken out of the play by the O Line.

I don't care if a guy makes bone-jarring tackles. If a guy makes a bone jarring tackle that probably means he missed 5 tackles before that. I'll take the guy who wraps up and makes the sure tackle as opposed to lunging aimlessly hoping to make it on Sports Center.

And yes he will be in on every single play if he isn't taken out by the opposing offensive line...that same offensive line that runs right through our defensive line. That is our problem...an old and undersized defensive...we need size, strength, and youth on that line. That will take a ton of pressure off of Vilma.

Lastly, Vilma's worth can't be measured in tackles and sacks...his worth is in his head. His worth is in the calls he makes at the line of scrimmage. His worth is the adjustment's he makes to his teamates. His worth is in his relentless work ethic and preparation, which has spread to Kerry Rhodes, I must say I'm happy that happened. His worth is in his leadership and command of the entire defense.

PS - S Dubb said it all best...two guys with similiar if not smaller sizes than Vilma have the two best 3-4 defensive lines in the game...get Vilma that...and he'll be what you want him to be!
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   EnRiCH13 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

what was ray lewis without a big NT?

nothing
then the ravens went out and got one in the draft
now we must do the same

IPB Image

#9 User is offline   JetsMan4012 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:poker, rapping, football,baseball,basketball,video games

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 23 2007, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't care if a guy makes bone-jarring tackles. If a guy makes a bone jarring tackle that probably means he missed 5 tackles before that. I'll take the guy who wraps up and makes the sure tackle as opposed to lunging aimlessly hoping to make it on Sports Center.

iagree.gif

in fact its better they dont, a big hit doesnt mean ur really a playmaker. and plus like madden says on well madden:

"too many guys r going for the big hit and trying to end up on the highlight reels and missing big, when all they had to do was wrap up the guy" (or some shit like that, either way my point is taken)

i also aggree about how u cant want him out in a new system with not to mention a line thats not hleping him much
"They think we spellin iverson when the beef all done cuz you be on I-Vs in the E-R son"- 40 Cal
" Winning isn't everything; its the only thing"

RIP Uncle Bob 5/12/06

#10 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:22 PM

Idk if you guys noticed or not, but the last 3 weeks, besides when Vilma tried to get a strip instead of going for the easy sack, Vilma played alot better. He was making alot of tackles, and was making really good plays. Its started against the Dolphins on Monday night, he played a nasty game. I think that alot of the issues here is that he wasnt comfortable with the system, lets see him next year. He is a player that should be a Jet for life, like one Dolphin fan said, hes the most talented LB we will get our hands on in a long time.
Also, its the energy he brings to the defense, he is running around a getting players pumped, when ever a player on the defense makes a play, Vilma is always the first to jump on him and get excited. Hes a guy that you can tell truely enjoys this game. Its not about the money, or probowls to him, its about winning and having fun. He is a rare player, if we ever got rid of him I will be deeply sad. He is my favorite player on the Jets right now, with Kerry Rhodes at #2. I was lucky enough to get his autograph during his rookie season. How can you not love this guy? Hes everything that you would want to build a defense around. Plus, we got our hard hitting LBs, with Barton and Hobson. Man that hit on Brady was so nice by Hobson.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

No offense Ronny, that's actually a stupid question.
In 2004, as our defense is going with a new defensive coordinator and personnel, Vilma, as a rookie, steps up, makes like 108 tackles, gets 3 INTs, outplays the starter in front of him, and records an astonishing 30 tackles in only 2 playoff games. The press loves him too, giving him DROY.
Next year, as our team goes in shambles, here's Vilma, the shining star in the black night. Leads the NFL in tackles, records 4 forced fumbles, and even gets to play in the Pro Bowl.
This year, yeah, he did struggle, but it was a totally new defense and I was expecting some struggles from him. He still had a solid year tackle wise. Plus, for the past 2 years, I wanna say he's played every single defensive snap.
But no one really cares about bone jarring hits, unless it's someone we REALLY hate like Brady. Plus Vilma is a good person off the field, and even has a commercial for being a community leader (which he is), and is very interactive with the fans. How isn't he gonna be a fan favorite???
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#12 User is offline   boomer1 Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

I agree with the previous posts that mentioned external factors such as a big nose tackle and extra time to get acclamated to the 3-4. Jonathan Vilma is the leader of this defense, Hands Down!!!

#13 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Chadforpresidentin08 @ Jan 23 2007, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offense Ronny, that's actually a stupid question.
In 2004, as our defense is going with a new defensive coordinator and personnel, Vilma, as a rookie, steps up, makes like 108 tackles, gets 3 INTs, outplays the starter in front of him, and records an astonishing 30 tackles in only 2 playoff games. The press loves him too, giving him DROY.
Next year, as our team goes in shambles, here's Vilma, the shining star in the black night. Leads the NFL in tackles, records 4 forced fumbles, and even gets to play in the Pro Bowl.
This year, yeah, he did struggle, but it was a totally new defense and I was expecting some struggles from him. He still had a solid year tackle wise. Plus, for the past 2 years, I wanna say he's played every single defensive snap.
But no one really cares about bone jarring hits, unless it's someone we REALLY hate like Brady. Plus Vilma is a good person off the field, and even has a commercial for being a community leader (which he is), and is very interactive with the fans. How isn't he gonna be a fan favorite???

Good post!

#14 User is offline   SignalZero Icon

• User
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Former Site Admin/Publisher
    NYJetsFan.com

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

Maybe I'm alone here, but I just don't see it. OK OK Vilma does a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that doesn't show up right away like calling the defense, but I want a bad-ass that will go out and dominate. One that will make those huge hits, big plays, sacks, fumbles you know the kind that he just doesn't make. And don;t give me the learning a new system shit, he did the same in the 4-3. He just is not in the class of a Thomas or Urlacher and that's what I want.

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

Hey may not be in that class yet, but he will be.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (SignalZero @ Jan 23 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm alone here, but I just don't see it. OK OK Vilma does a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that doesn't show up right away like calling the defense, but I want a bad-ass that will go out and dominate. One that will make those huge hits, big plays, sacks, fumbles you know the kind that he just doesn't make. And don;t give me the learning a new system shit, he did the same in the 4-3. He just is not in the class of a Thomas or Urlacher and that's what I want.

Well it doesn't mean we can't get a hard nose "O"lb. Donnie Edwards has Merriman. We don't need to get rid Vilma to get someone.

Do we forget that theres 2 MLB's in a 3-4 preferably 2 ILB's? Donnie Edwards has never been a sack machine or an intimitator. He's a good on the run and a good coverage LB. Same with Vilma. Whereas B. Thomas is noted strictly for his pass rushing prowess and run support. It's good to have a mixture of different types of LB's so you can be more liberated with the playbook.

Ron I could see what you were saying if Vilma was a hinderance to the defense. The reason why the odd Jet fan wants to cut him is because he's not pulling off 200 tkls a year. Vilma on a bad year is still better then most teams best LB.

#17 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (SignalZero @ Jan 23 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...I'll pass on that. Save that shit for Madden. Mangini and company will take the smart players who make the sure tackles any day...

Maybe you can call up McGraw...I'm sure he's free...
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 23 2007, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah...I'll pass on that. Save that shit for Madden. Mangini and company will take the smart players who make the sure tackles any day...

Maybe you can call up McGraw...I'm sure he's free...

Exactly, to me, it ain't about the Sportscenter top 10 guys, it's about guys that day in and day out work hard, whether the whole world knows it or doesn't. I'll take Pennington over Michael Vick anyday of the week.
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#19 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

big hits don't make a good linebacker, making plays makes a good linebacker. when you have a guy that accumulates a lot of tackles, that is only a good thing. it's not some stat that can be over rated. if you're making a tackle, that means that you got to the offensive player and stopped them for less yards than if someone else on the defense were to get to him after you.

#20 User is offline   LocoJet Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

http://www.nfl.com/t...depthcharts/NYJ
http://www.nfl.com/t.../depthcharts/NE
http://www.nfl.com/t...depthcharts/DAL
http://www.nfl.com/t...depthcharts/BAL

vilma's numbers are right up there with the best.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users