NYJetsFan.com Forums: Day 2 Practice Notes - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 August 2014 - 10:18 PM) the excuses, Hill is just a terrible football player. no debate, just a fact. guy is soft as shit as well
Jetsfan115 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:43 AM) right cause all our other WRs were lighting it up
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 07:04 PM) Hill is useless bro lol
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:05 PM) All I can say I streamed this game and if anyone thinks about recording it from NFL Network at 4pm Eastern Saturday.....DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:07 PM) This game was pure sh1t. Even though it was back up players the Jets got totally destroyed in this game. After seeing this game Im really worried about the Jets starting core because these backup guys looked like they shouldn't have even been on the field at all. I just hope the starters are 3000 times better than these guys that played in game 4
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:09 PM) The Jets got horse f*cked by the Eagles in this game.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:24 PM) we are hosed in the secondary
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:26 PM) we need to cut this assclown patterson
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:34 PM) did Hill get cut yet?
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:36 PM) lol. We might need to look at the Eagles cuts for possible 2nd and 3rd stringers
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:36 PM) If they keep ZHill after this game I will be shocked.
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:38 PM) Philly gave us a worse ass whipping than Detroit gave Buffalo. only difference is we scored
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:42 PM) Im just wondering what manning will put up on our secondary? 70?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:12 PM) who cares about getting destroyed in a preseason game, especially the 4th one. Most of these guys won't even make the team
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:15 PM) Hill cut yet?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:18 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:21 PM) Yeah this game means nothing...except to Stephen Hill (who fumbled lol) and 115
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:23 PM) Hill is a bum, hes pretty much never shown much football skill. The Jets fucked up big time taking him over Alshon Jeffery.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) I'm still pissed off about that
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:43 PM) Its not that Im worried about the preseason game itself. i could care less about that. Its the fact of how bad we got destroyed. And some of the guys will be on the team and others on the fringe so getting destroyed like that doesnt fill me with confidence
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:44 PM) It would be one thing if it was just the second half or 4th quarter but this was the whole game. especially getting destroyed in the 1st quarter and at least part of the 2nd where a lot of the guys will be on the team
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:48 PM) 2nd and 3rd stringers making the team had something to prove and even our 2nd stringers got owned so yes Im very concerned. The first stringers need breaks and also if some of them get injured they need to step up. So no after this performance start to finish Im very concerned
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:39 AM) Meh...you're reading too much into it
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:40 AM) Even in seasons where the Jets blew, I haven't seen anyone refer to the preseason to complain. Ever.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:15 AM) fire izdik http://theredzone.or...rs/Default.aspx
Jetsman05 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 11:17 AM) I picture Rob and 115 as real life friends
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 04:01 PM) Holmes can still play, problem is that hes also a cancer. He wore out his welcome with the Jets
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 08:23 PM) did Hill get cut?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:00 PM) Haven't seen anything yet
MikeGangGree... Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Whos ready for the season!!? WOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 11:54 AM) Hill has been cut
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 01:24 PM) Who wants to take bets he ends up in NE
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 02:18 PM) We'll I guess you guys are fools then in thinking im a fool for being concerned. Do any of you even know that in 2013 the Jets gave up the most passing yards in the franchise since 1986? And our secondary right now is worse than last year right now. To not be concerned is utterly foolish.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 02:19 PM) Unless our d-line has a monstrous year odds are the team will be eaten up in the pass. Every team will game plan to exploit the pass this year.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 02:56 PM) Patterson got cut
flood555 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:24 PM) Patterson must have been a huge cancer to get cut
flood555 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:26 PM) is there a midseason draft? we need a DB!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:58 PM) Our week 1 starting CBs will be Antonio Allen and Darrin Walls... wow
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:58 PM) interesting that Simms and Boyd were released
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:00 PM) No more McIntyre
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 05:20 PM) Pretty sure some of these cuts like Simms and McIntyre were made for removing some more cap space to try to find some decent corners and maybe another reliable wr. Possibly get some players cheap. I'd say the current 53 roster will change a good bit in the next week.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 05:23 PM) I just hope Geno doesn't get hurt or we are horse f*cked. Vick sure as hell can't stay healthy for a full season. I guess the FO could also be think of picking up an old vet cut as 3rd qb. Simms is ok but I'd never trust him to win a regular season game if he was put in.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 05:25 PM) Anyway it's going yo be an interesting week.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:18 PM) I doubt it was about freeing up money, considering we are way under. Like more than $20 mil, way more than enough to find some vet minimum CB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:19 PM) it's more about the roster numbers. McIntyre was replaced by rookies. IK showed flashes when he played
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Day 2 Practice Notes

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/08/q...s_was.html#more

Quarterback Kellen Clemens was on his way to his best day under coach Rex Ryan until he threw back-to-back interceptions to S Jim Leonhard late in practice. DT Kris Jenkins tweaked his left calf. Minicamp standout, S Eric Smith, had another interception. RB Leon Washington had a 60-yard TD catch, WR Jerricho Cotchery made an electric 50-yard grab between two defenders at the goal line and veteran DE Shaun Ellis and RT Damien Woody almost came to blows.

It was an eventful morning practice at Day 2 of training camp, a spirted and sometimes chippy 2-hour, 20-minute session that ended with kicker Jay Feely nailing four straight field goals. The Jets will hold only a special teams practice this afternoon.

The day started with LB Bryan Thomas absolutely pancaking rookie RB Shonn Greene in a running back vs. linebackers pass-rushing drill. Ryan called it a ``Welcome to the NFL moment'' for Greene.

Midway through practice, Jenkins suddenly pulled up in a heap. The 360-pound veteran said he heard a ``pop pop'' shortly after he exploded out of his stance to rush the passer.

``It's nothing serious,'' said Jenkins, who is expected to be sidelined a few days, possibly a week. ``I won't skip a beat.''

Clemens, who struggled on Friday, started poorly but suddenly got red hot. He hit Washington, who motioned out of the backfield, for a 60-yard TD pass in one segment. Then, in his next set of reps, he hit three straight passes, including a 50-yard steam route to Cotchery. It seemed Clemens had finally laid claim to the top job as Sanchez (4-of-11, 1 INT on 9-on-9 and 11-on-11 drills) had another average day.

But Clemens (6-of-13, 2 INTs) then imploded as he threw back-to-back interceptions to Leonhard in different segments to spoil his day. Ryan said Leonhard is a master at disguising coverages.

The Jets had 9-on-9 passing drills instead of the traditional 7-on-7 because they want the quarterback to feel the rush, said Ryan.

Ellis and Woody exchanged words and nearly came to blows during Leonhard's first interception return when he lateraled the ball to CB Lito Sheppard. Ryan liked the flare-up.

``That's one that nobody would break up,'' joked Ryan. ``Guys just keep fighting until you die.''

Smith, who had five interceptions in three days in minicamp, picked off a Sanchez pass.

Here are a few other Day 2 tibits:

Ryan, who is on a 5-day liquid diet after ballooning to 340 pounds, mockingly jogged into the press conference, saying he had to ``get his jog on.'' Ryan said he's sticking to his diet but the veggie shakes are the worst.

While Ryan jokes about his weight, it's no laughing matter and could evolve into a serious health issue down the road. ... The Jets worked on their Wildcat offense with RB Leon Washington. ... After his interception, Leonhard make a lateral to CB Lito Sheppard, who made a nifty return. Ryan said he has no problem with laterals in those situations because he's trying to score. ... LB Bart Scott is making plays. ... The Jets are using T Wayne Hunter in two-tight end sets. ... Former Rutgers LBs Jamaal Westerman and Brandon Renkart are playing together on the second team. ... LB Calvin Pace cramped up but is fine. ... RB Danny Woodhead (head) missed his second straight practice.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

Danny Woodhead got hurt, the dude is too small.

Good to hear that Gholston had a good day.. The QB competition is blah at this point, we all know Sanchez will struggle as he should being a rookie. Clemens is making mistakes too.

I like hearing how Bart Scott yelled at Shonn Greene for not finishing a run, also how Scott is making plays. Love hearing how good our safeties are doing, Eric Smith has been making plays and so has Jim Leonhard, along with Rhodes this might be a nice set of safeties this year. Maybe Mangini didn't know how to use Smith right either?

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Timebandit Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Aug 1 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good to hear that Gholston had a good day.. The QB competition is blah at this point, we all know Sanchez will struggle as he should being a rookie. Clemens is making mistakes too.

I like hearing how Bart Scott yelled at Shonn Greene for not finishing a run, also how Scott is making plays. Love hearing how good our safeties are doing, Eric Smith has been making plays and so has Jim Leonhard, along with Rhodes this might be a nice set of safeties this year. Maybe Mangini didn't know how to use Smith right either?

I'm not sure where you read anything in that article about Gholston but if you did would you mind posting it, thx

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Timebandit @ Aug 1 2009, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure where you read anything in that article about Gholston but if you did would you mind posting it, thx

Sorry about that, read it on another article. Not sure if this is an actual article from a beat writer, or just something from someone who went there from another board. But I'll post it anyways, here you go.

For two hours today on a beautiful morning in Cortland, the best quarterback on the field was Kellen Clemens, not even close. Then came the final 15 minutes of practice, a sobering reminder that the Jets' quarterback competition is going to be a rollercoaster ride.

Clemens tainted an otherwise fine day with back-to-back interceptions, both by S Jim Leonhard, both on passes in which he seemed to lock on to his intended receiver. That gives him three interceptions in three practices. It's too bad because, until the two-pick sequence, he really seemed comfortable in the pocket, directing the offense on an 80-yard drive that ended with a 40-yard scoring strike to Jerricho Cotchery.

But the good things get wiped out in a hurry if the quarterback is committing turnovers.
Neither quarterback was made available to the media today, so we didn't get a chance to speak with Clemens. Neither quarterback is having a great camp so far, which isn't what fans want to hear. But, hey, that's life when you're breaking in a quarterback with only eight career starts and a rookie.

Mark Sanchez threw his first interception of camp. In a 9-on-9 drill (yes, you read that correctly), he tried to hit Wallace Wright (who else?) on a deep seam, but he never saw S Eric Smith and ... pick.

Before I get to the QB stats, let me say I included the results from the 9-on-9. Usually, it'll be only 11-on-11 stats, but we'll make an exception because today was the first time since '06 that coordinator Brian Schottenheimer used a 9-on-9 in practice. (Only three offensive linemen.) Afterward, Rex Ryan said he'd never seen a 9-on-9, but, hey, he was cool with it.

The stats:

Clemens -- 5-for-13, two interceptions, one touchdown.

Sanchez -- 4-for-11, one interception.

Yeesh.

Leon (I'm here, but I'm not happy) Washington had a great practice. He broke a couple of runs, stood up a couple of linebackers in a one-on-one drill and caught a 30-yard pass from Clemens (okay, the latter came on a busted coverage).

The crowd loved Washington's performance. Every time he made a play, the same guy (I think) yelled, "Please re-sign him. Thank you."

From a media standpoint, Thomas Jones isn't the most embraced player because he appears aloof and distant. But his teammates respect him a lot, and it's easy to see why. He plays with pride and passion.

In a one-on-one pass-rushing drill, Jones was knocked backward by LB Vernon Gholston. Ticked off at himself, Jones screamed an expletive. Gholston outweighs him by nearly 50 pounds, but Jones still expected to make that block.

Make no mistake, Jones takes this stuff very seriously. Unfortunately for him, that's probably not going to get him a new contract.

Rookie RB Shonn Greene was pancaked by OLB Bryan Thomas in the same pass-rushing drill. Ryan said it was Greene's "Welcome-to-the-NFL" moment.

Gholston (yes, him) flashed a few times in practice, pressuring Clemens on an inside rush. This is a huge camp for Gholston because he'll probably be the opening-day starter at outside linebacker, as Calvin Pace must serve a four-game suspension. Gholston isn't getting many first-team reps, other than the nickel package, which is kind of odd. You'd think they'd want to get him up to speed as quickly as possible, considering his new role. But he did have a solid practice, so that's encouraging for the Jets.

Just call him Eric Smith, interception machine. Building on his terrific minicamp, where it seemed like he had a dozen picks in two days (actually it was five, I think), Smith is off to a nice start. He earned some praise from Ryan. So did Leonhard, one of his favorites in Baltimore.

"He disguises coverages better than anybody in the league other than Ed Reed," Ryan said of Leonhard.

Here's something you didn't see too often under Eric Mangini: A defensive lateral. A split-second after intercepting Clemens, Leonhard pitched the ball backward to CB Lito Sheppard, who cut across the field and up the sideline for a 40-yard scoring return.

Mangini always preached that it wasn't sound football to gamble with a lateral, but Ryan is all for it. His philosophy is clear: We want to score on defense. He has very specific rules on when players should and shouldn't try a lateral, but generally speaking, he likes the idea.

S Kerry Rhodes said he caught some grief from Giants DE Justin Tuck, a friend, for proclaiming on his Twitter page that the Jets will have the No. 1 defense in the league ... RB Danny Woodhead sat out for the second straight practice after being knocked woozy in yesterday's morning sessions. "He couldn't remember the first part of practice, so that was a good indication to take him out," Ryan said ... DE Shaun Ellis and RT Damien Woody had a heated exchange at the tail end of Sheppard's interception return.

One day after telling the world that he's on a five-day liquid diet to shed some of his 340 pounds, Ryan, ever the jokester, jogged into his daily news conference, pretending he had just finished a long run.

Ryan isn't a fan of the vegetable shakes he's forced to drink for lunch and dinner: "I'm plugging my nose to drink it." But he's sticking with the diet, he said.

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Scoring in all 3 phases of the game is nothing new and neither is talking about it.just hoping that Rex and Mangini's players and Tanny too can turn heads this year and against the Giants . I don't want to sneak up on any team this year.
I want US to be feared the game before they play us.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#6 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad); Read what Cimini said about the morning practice

Overall, a very good-looking practice. Alot of promising stuff, and some stuff that should worry Jets fans.

--Rex has this thing running like clockwork, which I didn't expect. Guys are moving at all times, the drills start and end on time, and there isn't alot of screwing around. Mangini had this too, but for some reason it doesn't seem as regimented, as militarized. The players look focused and hungry.

--Rex is a large man, and he runs the whole ship. I was worried that he was goingto come in here and not be prepared to lead the whole team, and instead hide out on the defensive side of the football all day, but he didn't. He was very vocal and very active in many of the drills, both offensively and defensively, and it looks, so far, as though the players are responding really well for him. When he yelled at them to jump, they jumped, and when he told them to move their asses, they moved. You didn't always see this with Mangini, and especially not with Herm.

--Cortland was the right choice for this type of thing. It's a small school, but it's known for its athletics and the facilities are relatively new. The stadium is big, and the sight-lines for the practices are great. MUCH better than the Giants have at Albany. Here, you can see every player and watch every drill if you wanted to without ever leaving your bleacher seat.

The Offense::

Summary: The offense is going to be rough to watch this year, no question. The receivers do not get open against even the Jets second string DB's like Lowery and Drew Coleman, and this is really, really hurting the reads of both Clemens AND Sanchez, which has to be a concern.

Clemens v. Sanchez:: Neither really shined because of the problems the receivers have getting off the jam and getting open, and both are developing the habit of squeezing the ball too long. Clemens, in particular, holds the ball for an eternity, and Sanchez, though quicker, was starting to hold on to the ball, especially after he threw a brutal pick (a lazy pass 15 yards downfield near the left sideline that Eric Smith easily picked off).

Looking at Sanchez, he doesn't have big-time zip on the ball, but it's a pretty pass that is really accurate to the degree that he puts it on the receivers inside or outside shoulder consistently. He hasn't ripped it yet, but the early returns aren't awesome as far as arm strength goes. He looked better midway through the practice when he started letting it fly in position drills, but when they got to the 11 on 11's, his passes were relatively easy prey for the D and after the pick to Smith, Sanchez stuck to trying to complete dump passes.

Clemens is Clemens, which means he looks really good at times, and then he'll turn around and throw the worst pass you've ever seen. Jim Leonhard picked Clemens twice in the scrimmage, both fairly easy plays where Clemens threw it seemingly right to him in underneath coverage. But Clemens also threw some brilliant passes--one to Jerricho that Clemens placed beautifully into his hands over Kerry Rhodes, and another shot earlier to Leon Washington that was well-placed behind Revis, who was in Cover-Two.

In sum, the QB competition has a long way to go, but it looks like Clemens has a huge advantage over Sanchez. Sanchez, in the same scrimmage, looked bad and got, maybe, six plays to Clemens' twenty. I am sure in the later practice that Sanchez will get more snaps to show his stuff, but the early (early, early) returns are that he needs a hell of alot of time and patience. Not having big-time receivers to throw to is clearly going to hurt his development, and it seemed to really shake his confidence today when no one could get open in live drills. I really think that the Jets should dump Erik AInge (horrible, btw), and go out and pick up a veteran QB who can teach both Sanchez and Clemens the nuances of the position, especially given the lack of talent around them. I fear a David Carr situation with Sanchez. I really do. WHen CLemens and Sanchez aren't in the drill, they stand there talking to each other and, really, wouldn't they be better served talking to a veteran QB who can tell them what they should be looking for the next time out?

Line play:: The O-line, as expected, looks to be in good shape. The right side was quiet, and held up well, as most of the blitzing packages seemed to be focused on coming off the left side. Brick still looks like he's 285 pounds. I know the papers have been saying he "bulked up," but it's not at all obvious from a distance. Still, he held his ground well, and only Calvin Pace seemed to be able to push Brick around a little bit. Mangold and Faneca had all kinds of problems with Kris Jenkins, who was just a beast. Let's hope this was just a case of Jenkins being too good, and not that the Jets interior line is too small. Overall, the line held up well against the pass rush, and struggled blocking the run, which is typical for the first few days of camp.

The big problem on the line is the TE play, as there are no real TE's on the roster. Dustin Keller lines up on the end, but he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than that, and it becomes truly scary when he gets buried at the bottom of the pile. If you lose him, you lose your second best receiver, and there is no third best receiver outside of Leon Washington. Tannenbaum HAS to bring in a legit blocker at TE, and he has to do it quick before Keller gets one of his backs killed with a matador block, or, worse, Keller gets his leg bent back under a pile at the LOS.

The receivers, as mentioned, are brutal beyond Jerricho and Keller, and this is SO serious because it's going to screw Sanchez up until it's rectified. NO ONE gets open, and the QB's end up holding the ball. If they allowed sacks today, Clemens and Sanchez would be in an emergency room getting cleats pumped out of their stomachs. The team doesn't have to go get an elite receiver, but they DO need a veteran who knows how to shake a DB. Watching Brad Smith, Clowney and ever Stuckey getting owned all over the place by Revis and Co., with minimal effort, was pathetic.

As far as backs, Leon caught a few passes, and Thomas Jones snaked through a few holes, but running the ball was a labor against the defense though it got easier when Kris Jenkins limped out with a calf. The hitting in the line was explosive, and it was inevitable that someone was going to get banged up. Shonn Greene showed nothing, and nearly got decapitated in a blocking drill when Bryan Thomas, running half-speed, buried him. It was ugly.

Defense::

Summary: Kris Jenkins, Bart Scott and Darrelle Revis are on another level, and everyone else is tagging along.

Along the defensive line, Jenkins was absolutely killing people until he went out with a calf injury. You could hear the pads exploding all the way up into the bleachers, and then all you saw was a mass of bodies lying in a pile three yards behind the line, with #77 being in the middle of it all. It's just a freaky thing to watch him move people around. Mangold, in particular, got the worst of it. He is unblockable. He limped off, though, and he didn't look awful. AT first we thought it was just a cramp--it deinitely didn't appear to be the knee. When Jenkins goes out, though, there is nothing behind him. Pouha and Green are not capable, and the O-line just pushes everyone else around when they don't have to worry about Jenkins. I know they're impossible to find, but Tannenbaum really has to be on te lookout for some size in the middle to help out in the event that Jenkins has to sit out, because it's bleak with what they have now. Sean Ellis made a few plays and was very active, as well.

At LB, Bart Scott is already the leader of this team. Great moment with Scott: they are having front-seven drills (O-line and backs vs. D-line and LB's) and Shonn Greene squirts through a hole and stumbles, then gets back up and starts running as if he broke a tackle. Bart Scott, who had his helmet off and was just watching the play, pushes Greene in the chest and tells him (it looked like) to stop frontin' and get back to the huddle. Greene slapped his hand away, but ran back to the huddle and wasn't seen again the rest of the day. It is clear that Scott rules the roost on defense (thank God) and isn't afraid to talk trash and bark orders. Scott got cooked solid by Dustin Keller on a few plays, though, and pass coverage will continue to be a major issue for the LB group. Already, the combination of Bart Scott and David Harris looks ferocious vs. the run on the interior.

Bryan Thomas looked aggressive, believe it or not, and hit people hard whether they had the ball or not. Hopefully, Scott's influence will get to guys like Thomas and Gholston, who need a kick in the ass.

As for Gholston, he looks like he dropped 15 pounds in his lower body, and he looks more agile than he did last year. He still hangs his head too much and he still plays like he's bored, but he showed a little more desire on the pass rush, and he actually got physical with Nick Mangold on one play, driving Nick back into the pocket on the blitz. It looks like Pettine is going to get creative with Gholston by having him circle inside and blitz up the middle and also lining up in the three-point stance. I think alot of Gholston's problems start and end with the consistency of his effort, and it will be interesting to see how much rope Rex gives him in terms of playing time should Gholston not bring it on every play. He just seems too gifted to be doing so little on a football field, while Calvin Pace goes out there with half the athleticism and can be twice as effective at the same position.

The DB's looked good today, with the exception being Rhodes getting turned around by Jerricho Cotchery on Clemens' TD pass. Darrelle Revis is on another planet, and easily covered anyone they put in front of him. Lito Sheppard is an upgrade over what we had last year, but you have to worry about how he'll hold up this season when he's getting every ball thrown his way as teams try to avoid Revis. Lowery looks quicker this year, and he could be the nickel back when it's all said and done. At safety, Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard were the stars today, with both of them getting picks (Leonhard got two), and both of them had a few deflections. Leonhard is the de-facto DB coach, and is always talking to Smith and Kerry Rhodes what's going on with the D. I was interested to see what Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine did with Kerry, and if they really tried using him in the same way as they used Ed Reed but that didn't seem to be the case. Kerry was doing what Kerry does best, which was to run downfield trying to pick off passes. He wasn't used aggressively near the LOS, and he seemingly wasn't used as a "robber," coming up in the underneath zones trying to jump routes. Surprisingly, that was where Leonhard was playing on both of his picks.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the success of the DB's has to be weighed against the competition they were facing. While Cotchery, Keller, and Leon all had nice catches for long gains today, no one else even showed up on the radar in live drills. Not having that big-time (or, medium-time) receiver here to balance the field not only hurts the QB's, it may also be hurting the defensive preparation as well.

Not much on the specials today, with Jay Feely looking good and Leon returning some kicks. Revis took one kick back which made me ill as I flashed back to the injury (on a kick return) by the Giants' Jason Sehorn that effectively ruined his career. Please, no more Revis on kick returns!

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

Not good about our WRs... If no one is getting open then we shouldn't start Sanchez, it could destroy his confidence. At least don't start him right away. We most likely will have a losing record this year, our offense is not going to be very good with out a threat at passing the ball.

I don't agree with the veteran QB, who is out there? don't bring in a veteran QB just for the sake of it, I believe Rex said we have 2 past NFL QBs in our coaching staff? I think he said there is 2 QB coaches? But I know one was a past NFL QB.

Our defense should be awesome.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   The Reverend Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, the receiver issue really makes me nervous regarding Sanchez development. I hope Plaxico stays out of jail!
Sal Paolantonio commenting on the difference in the Ryan and Mangini atmospheres in the building:
"It's like going from Alcatraz to Dorney Park."

It is better to destroy than create what is meaningless, so the picture will not be finished.
erikcoleman#26

#9 User is offline   Timebandit Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

jetsfan, thx

Not for nothing even if Plax stays out of jail I don't want him.

#10 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

Don't panic this is a west coast offense . and a east coast offense
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#11 User is offline   unklB Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Aug 1 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think the same thing about Leon? LW is one inch taller, same weight. There must be some other bias going on here........sheesh.

#12 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (unklB @ Aug 2 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think the same thing about Leon? LW is one inch taller, same weight. There must be some other bias going on here........sheesh.

Leon is thicker than Woodhead, you can tell by looking at both of them. Leon has much thicker legs and just looks stronger. Woodhead seems just small, doesn't even look like a football player.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users