NYJetsFan.com Forums: No Epiphany Yet, Gholston Shows Progress - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ALL WE NEEDED WAS A FIELD GOAL
santana Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:25 PM) its deff a good move for the jets they will probably manage to sell some tickets for the rest of the year
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:26 PM) nice to see a move finally, hopefully he can stay healthy and give us a spark
santana Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:27 PM) put a spork in that salad
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:39 PM) Should have gotten desean Jackson this offsesson
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:43 PM) yup
V DidDy 210 Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:44 PM) wowsers
V DidDy 210 Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:44 PM) i'm still crying from last night
V DidDy 210 Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:44 PM) and on top of that the jets fuccked me again by getting harvin before he could play this week lol
santana Icon : (17 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) stop your crying THERE'S NO CRYING AT NYJETSFAN
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:12 AM) Jets are cutting David Nelson
jetfan4life12 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:15 AM) the probably could have had Santana Moss cheap. He has been healthy all season but inactive every week
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:06 AM) I'd prefer to keep him and cut Salas
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:36 AM) you would of thought david nelson would of been more of a redzone threat by this point. hes a big dude.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:39 AM) real madrid shooting practice continues
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:02 PM) arent there some other names that could have been cut instead
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:03 PM) chris owusu
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:21 PM) Salas is better than Nelson
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:22 PM) Nelson is rated as the worst wr in football this season
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:34 PM) he has to better than owusu or graham
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) I posted an article about harvin and some of his issues. Dude seems like a wack job with talent. Hope rex can corral this guy or he could make the locker room implode
santana Icon : (Today, 11:43 AM) Wasn't demean Jackson vilified as a gang affiliated street thug during his Philly release
santana Icon : (Today, 12:31 PM) damn football sunday and no ones on
Canuck Jet Icon : (Today, 01:00 PM) Yeah, cuz Rex is so good at developing offensive talent; 0 - Infinity
Canuck Jet Icon : (Today, 01:02 PM) Harvin is Holmes 2.0, except punches for general bitchiness and annoying first down celebrations.
santana Icon : (Today, 01:03 PM) i'm not buying into the media nonsense
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) Harvin is a playmaker, we needed one.
Canuck Jet Icon : (Today, 01:15 PM) I hope he tears it up as a Jet, but he's been tossed from 2 teams in as many years and hasn't cracked 1000 yds in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he had CTE from those brutal head hits, hence the aggression of late.
santana Icon : (Today, 01:18 PM) I was tossed from two t-ball teams and some people still say i was the best hitter on timid deer lane
santana Icon : (Today, 01:20 PM) bills RBs dropping like flies
Canuck Jet Icon : (Today, 01:20 PM) We'll only really know when the autopsy his brain. Stay tuned! Guy never should have played the Super Bowl after the 2 concussions he suffered against the Saints.
santana Icon : (Today, 01:26 PM) whitehurst clipboard jesus
santana Icon : (Today, 02:54 PM) brian shottenheimer must of lost his mind haha
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Today, 03:11 PM) fuckin orton
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Today, 03:11 PM) how does he keep doing it?
santana Icon : (Today, 04:53 PM) Jack Daniels
santana Icon : (Today, 06:25 PM) murray horse
santana Icon : (Today, 08:28 PM) GOD DAMN IT ANQUAN
santana Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) what is this amateur hour!?!?!?
santana Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) come on!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 08:43 PM) Manning just broke the Passing TD record
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 08:44 PM) :boredom: we could of had him a few years ago
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 08:44 PM) but at least he didn't break it on us
santana Icon : (Today, 08:45 PM) I don't think he wanted to be here
santana Icon : (Today, 08:46 PM) I don't really care for passing records being broken. Qbs now have a lot of rules in their favor
santana Icon : (Today, 08:46 PM) I mean even the catch that got them into the redzone was a PI call that wouldnt of been called when favre played
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Epiphany Yet, Gholston Shows Progress

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Post icon  Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

<h2 class="entry-title">No Epiphany Yet, but Gholston Shows Progress</h2> By Gregory Bishop FLORHAM PARK, N.J. – While the Jets players spent Tuesday nursing their bumps and bruises, Coach Eric Mangini spent the day at the team offices, where he bumped into JoJo Wooden.

Wooden, the Jets assistant director of player personnel, talked with Mangini about his own playing career at Syracuse. Wooden told Mangini that he remembered the exact moment during his red shirt freshman season when everything just clicked.

The coach used the story as a way to illustrate the progress of first-round draft pick Vernon Gholston, the rookie linebacker the Jets selected sixth overall last spring.

“Everybody has that moment where the clouds kind of drift away, the sun comes out, and you can just start playing,” Mangini said.

The coach didn’t say that Gholston has experienced that sort of epiphany on the pros. Gholston has compiled 11 tackles this season, far fewer than the number fans expected back in April. But Mangini sees positive signs where others may not. “He’s made a lot of progress,” Mangini said. “He’s played most consistently on special teams, and he’s improved the most in that area. Defensively, it’s still a work in progress.”

Mangini said Gholston’s performance on defense last week against Tennessee was his best this season.

“He didn’t get an overwhelming amount of opportunities, but the opportunities he did get, I thought he did a good job with,” Mangini said.

Gholston missed most of the Jets mini-camps this off-season while finishing the semester, per N.C.A.A. rules, at Ohio State. He also switched positions, moving from a college defensive end to outside linebacker in the Jets’ 3-4 defensive scheme.

Mangini saod that he set no expectations for Gholston’s progress. He listed other linebackers who took time to develop, among them Willie McGinest, Roosevelt Colvin and Tedy Bruschi, three players who spent time with Mangini’s former team, the New England Patriots.

The biggest difference for Gholston, Mangini said, is that the Jets game plan for each opponent individually. Other teams run the same plays, make the same calls, but the Jets change those from week-to-week.

#2 User is offline   SignalZero Icon

• User
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Former Site Admin/Publisher
    NYJetsFan.com

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

I think Gholston was the only negative thing coming out of the Titans game. He looked slow & lethargic and even got knocked on his ass once in an embarrassing display of being outclassed & outplayed. I'm in no way giving up on him yet, but so far he's showed me absolutely nothing. I wouldn't even mind if he had no tackles as long as he displayed some sort of non-stop motor out there. but so far... Not looking good.

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

give him time. gholston will be good. were 2nd in sacks anyway not like we need production from him now
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Gholston did have some stats on Sunday...he had a horrible missed tackle and he got pancaked by a RB...

baghead.gif
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

what does L Taylor have to say about him he is his mentor?
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

Thankfully with Pace and Thomas performing, there is no major need for Gholston to be producing. Saying that though, hopefully he does start producing in the future.

Perhaps it's a game time issue and that he needs snaps to get into his groove. But for that to happen he'd need to be starting, which just isn't going to happen this year barring injury.

#7 User is offline   Celtic Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

This reminds me of a story my mate (nickname Einstein) told me about the time he was mountaineering in the Himalayas and him and another guy got caught up in an avalanche. Apparently my mate managed to out run the avalanche (which can travel up to 80mph) but unfortunately the other guy didn't make it.

I obviously challenged him about the validity of this story but he countered by saying he didn't know how it happened but everything just CLICKED and he just managed to put one leg in front of the other Usain Bolt style and legged it fast as f*** down that slope.

I wonder if this is the same kind of CLICKED that Wooden is refering to in his story to Mangini?

#8 User is offline   RaphAC Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:punching people

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

I didnt see him much, but he did get a QB pressure, he took the wrong angle on it so he was a step off, but hopefully that kinda stuff will get him going.

#9 User is offline   MoMilk1991 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:27 AM

Well, I know people are worried being he is the sixth overall pick, but I would try not to worry just yet. Mainly because Bryan Thomas and Pace are playing well, and the team is winning. But don't forget, Thomas and Pace are late bloomers as well. They, as everyone should know, were drafted as ends, and didn't really play good until they transitioned into the 3-4 OLB role. Gholston played end, and this is his first year ever as an OLB. He never had to do anything else but bull rush in college. Hopefully that one QB pressure against Tennessee gives him some confidence or something and he emerges as a pass rush threat.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users