NYJetsFan.com Forums: Cubs Sign Samardzija To Five-year, $8 Million Deal - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 03:19 PM) holy shit thrilling match up tonight
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:13 PM) Does it matter who wins tonight? Draft pick wise for the Jets?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:16 PM) Probably not. We probably want to draft above the Titans though if that is possible, they are a team that could use a QB. The Jaguars just drafted Blake Bortles, doubt they go first round QB 2 years in a row
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:29 PM) so titans win is best win
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) DRAFT WINSTON
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 07:05 PM) I'm leaning towards wanting to draft Cooper or oline with the first pick. have a good line and or relceiver core and try and sign Bradford or trade for Cutler to play QB. And have Geno as back up for us.
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 07:06 PM) Not sure if Winston can be a franchise QB. Even Mariota has question marks.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 08:25 PM) That is why we need to draft Cooper at WR and then later in the draft go and get Petty
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 09:44 PM) clipboard jesus lead the way
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 09:48 PM) I miss leon
ROBJETS Icon : (18 December 2014 - 11:35 PM) If the Jets would have lost last week since the Jags won the Jets would have the 2 seed right now and not stuck at the 6 seed
ROBJETS Icon : (18 December 2014 - 11:36 PM) Oh well
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:21 AM) I think IK shows potential as a pass rusher
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 PM) If the new HC goes to a 4-3 it will be interesting to see if Couples can play on the end.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) he's probably better as a 4-3 DE then a 3-4 LBer anyway
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) we'd need another DT though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:12 PM) Rex to atlanta rumors swirling about
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:35 PM) Who should be my 2 starters at WR for my fantasy. Championship game. It's between AJ Green, Djax, and Mike Evans. I have Hilton too but I think colts will sit him this week
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:36 PM) I'm thinking Djax and Evans. I don't think the match up with green vs Denver
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:37 PM) I have Ingram, Lamar Miller, and Lacy as my RBs and flex
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) green and desean pretty much the same risk reward
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) lock evans in and play the matchup for the other spot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) also might snow in denver mnf i would keep an eye on that
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:48 PM) Good thinkin! I think I'm going to play djax. I like the match up better
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:09 PM) Atlanta would be a good landing spot for REx. He'll have Matt Ryan there so no need to develop a QB and he'll make the defense better
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 03:54 PM) He's not a good hc. He'll struggle anywhere.
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 06:07 PM) Idk. I bet if he had a good offensive supporting cast with established players he would do fine. He just can't develop players. It may be like the Gruden going to the Bucs but in reverse
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 06:19 PM) The Redskins are In this game, I am rooting for them so we move up a spot in the draft
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:17 PM) if he goes anywhere he needs a quality QB. He can't develop a QB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:18 PM) Manish wrote a article how the Jets have to hire Nick Caserio as their GM and Josh McDaniels as their HC
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Cubs Sign Samardzija To Five-year, $8 Million Deal good or bad decision?

#1 User is offline   jhsensation10 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2736354

Cubs sign Samardzija to five-year, $8 million deal

Notre Dame wide receiver Jeff Samardzija has decided to forego a pro football career for that of a baseball pitcher -- and he'll be well compensated for it.

Samardzija signed a five-year deal Friday to play baseball full-time, starting in the Chicago Cubs' minor league system.

ESPN.com's Wayne Drehs reports the deal is worth $8 million, guaranteed. A news conference was scheduled for Friday afternoon.

When the Cubs drafted Samardzija in the fifth round last June, giving him a $250,000 signing bonus, he intended to play both football and baseball professionally.

Last season, Samardzija pitched for Class A Boise and Peoria, where he finished a combined 1-2 with a 2.70 earned run average. He struck out 17 and walked 12 in 30 innings.

#2 User is offline   BESTHANDS8381 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

I JUST saw it on ESPN that Notre Dame WR Jeff Samardija signed with the cubs for 5 years and WILL NOT play in the NFL.

That sux i LOVE Samardija and would have liked to see him play in the NFL. but looks like hes chosen his sport and its baseball. Hey cant blame him, A lot more money in baseball than football when it comes to player contracts. best of luck to him.

But I think this also Greatly affects the draft because thats a 1st round guy thats now outta the draft. Teams are gunna have to change the way they attack now that wanted him.

Chad= Cheerleader

#3 User is offline   cmart=the best Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Wow this surprised me i thought he was comin to the NFL

#4 User is offline   kobeskool Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

wow i cant believe he not goin to the nfl

#5 User is offline   MNJET Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

He must want to play baseball more, as he would have made more in the NFL, and been on the pro level right away. I had thought he would wait until after the draft to see who took him before making this kind of decision. I think he'll still be drafted by some team, be like Drew Henson, and see what pans out.

#6 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

he left because he was going to be a 2nd -3rd pick, his stock went way down this year, when you got guranteed money in baseball it makes no sense to leave it on the table like that, i'm happy for him i think he made the right decision because he should be an all-star in the MLB
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

#7 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (MNJET @ Jan 19 2007, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He must want to play baseball more, as he would have made more in the NFL

Not likely. Pitchers always get paid big time and he would likely have a longer career in baseball then in football. Plus contracts in baseball are guaranteed. Plus football is far more grueling than baseball. I can't blame him for this move. I've heard he's better at baseball too. Oh well, it doesn't really affect the Jets, except that it's a little less depth at WR in the draft.

#8 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

I doubt he'd have been able to be a two-sport star considering the NFL is really a year round job right now with OTAs, training camp etc. As a baseball player he'd be playing February (spring training) to September/October time. Whilst he would only pitch once every 5 days, being a starting pitcher puts a lot of strain on the body and the body needs to recuperate over the days between starts. He wouldn't be successful therefore as he wouldn't be getting that rest as he would have to be conditioning for football at the same time.

#9 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

He's a puss anyways. I never liked that pretty boy anyways

#10 User is offline   JerseyJet Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets Football, Rutgers Football, NFL football History Buff, making fun of Patriots fans. Reading about WWII/Civil war/Jets, playing drums, guitar, listening to the who, led zeppelin and pink floyd.<br /><br />Favorite player- Jon Vilma<br /><br /><br /><br />NYJETSFAN.COM ,Phillies baseball, Minor League Baseball, College Football, football card collecting,baseball card collecting<br />Favorite Philly- , Aaron Rowand<br />Arena Football, baseball card collecting.<br />Drinking Rootbeer,baseball and football video games, baseball, football,playing football and baseball, music, favorite band- the who, song- won't get fooled again.<br />Bands-The who<br />led zeppelin,pink floyd

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Post icon  Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/N...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I really liked him and thought we had a shot at taking him in the 2nd round
IPB Image
IPB Image
Keep Choppin Jets, Phillies and Knights!

#11 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

Already been posted once in this forum and once in another forum.

#12 User is offline   extmenace Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

lol yea what you thinkin' boy go read the other topics before you post recycled news that everyone has already read about.... crazy.gif

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady

17 POINTS!

#13 User is offline   extmenace Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

yea but i dont blame the guy...sooo much more money in baseball and if he makes it like many believe he will, he could wind up retiring with soooo much more money then he would ever make in football. Plus he got 10 mill guraenteed so no matter what he walks away with 10 mil. w/ football he woulda got drafted towards the end of the 1st rd and would have probably got a 5 year 5 mil contract with a chance of being str8 up cut. in baeball if you can afford to get a contract just one contract in the MLB you are set for life. Get a good contract your kids are set and become a superstar your grandkids kids will be chillen. good for him....gonna be a shame not being able to watch him play in the NFL but how can you blame the guy. this will shake up the 1st rd of the draft a little....

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady

17 POINTS!

#14 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

More money in baseball and guaranteed contracts...Smart move for him.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (JetsOhFive @ Jan 19 2007, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More money in baseball and guaranteed contracts...Smart move for him.

Yep and yep, not to mentioned he won't ruin his body in baseball as much as in football
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#16 User is offline   BESTHANDS8381 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Jan 19 2007, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's a puss anyways. I never liked that pretty boy anyways

you just dont like ANYONE from Notre Dame do u?

every notre dame guy mentioned so far u said sux and put um down. crazy.gif

Chad= Cheerleader

#17 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

the only way he was amking more in football is if he was a top 10 pick
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   VilmaBrit Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

Shame! Why would anyone wanna play baseball more than football anyway??

#19 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (VilmaBrit @ Jan 20 2007, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shame! Why would anyone wanna play baseball more than football anyway??

In baseball the contracts are guaranteed, career length is generally longer as there is less chance of sustaining an injury and the pay is generally better too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users