NYJetsFan.com Forums: Article: Dinger Impressed By Mangini And Wants To Stay - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets lose by 1 to pats possibly Rex's last home game
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 07:37 PM) well smoke a bowl then
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:37 PM) I'm cool as a cucumber
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:38 PM) I don't have $ to buy any weed right now
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:38 PM) business is slow and I got other things to worry about
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 07:38 PM) Game not over yet
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:38 PM) but I'm still cool as a cucumber
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:39 PM) Who declared cucumbers cool
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:40 PM) cucumbers are cool cause I said so
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) And you said so because you're cool as a cucumber
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) That was a stupid penalty
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) yup
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) I'm mad chill
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 07:42 PM) he got hammered
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:42 PM) I'm not as cool as the other side of the pillow though cause that is gay as f***
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 07:43 PM) So what are you saying? You ride cucumbers?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:44 PM) nope but cucumbers are great on sandwiches and sandwiches are f***ing awesome
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:45 PM) and they can be fermented and become pickles which is always great on sandwiches and I already said it sandwiches are f***ing awesome
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:46 PM) He's got a point
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:47 PM) of course I do I'm moderator material
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:47 PM) Where's the studs and duds thread
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:48 PM) I bring shit to the table that noone else does cause well I'm f***ing awesome just like sandwiches
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:48 PM) there were no studs
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:48 PM) and the duds would be so long to list I'd still be typing if I had started that thread
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:49 PM) but at least the bills lost to the lowly raiders
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:52 PM) Ok im trying to get this
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:52 PM) the jets have gone up against all total teams with a record of 114-110
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:52 PM) the Jags have gone up against 114-109-1
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:53 PM) if Denver wins. that's 115-110 against us and 114-110-1 against the Jags
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:54 PM) How do they have the harder Schedule strength??
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:56 PM) that's if Denver wins tomorrow
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:11 PM) Is it me or is Tony Dungy awkward looking when he tries to smile and stares straight into the camera while doing the Football Night in America broadcast
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:17 PM) the job the GM in Arizona has done with dealing with all those injuries this season is something I would love to emulate for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:17 PM) finding talent in places you don't expect
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:17 PM) but instead we get a pencil pusher
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:17 PM) who puts us in great position cap wise but can't evaluate talent for shit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:18 PM) and makes horrible draft picks
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:18 PM) and just wasted every single JETS fans time for the past 6 months
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:18 PM) and next monday that shit comes to an end
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:18 PM) bye bye idzik bye bye rex dueces geno
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:19 PM) Fire Idzik Fire Rex Cut Geno
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:23 PM) Would you make a trade to get Larry Fitzgerald?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:16 PM) Beastmode
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:16 PM) wow
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:21 PM) "Hold ma diiiiiiickkkkkk"
-lynch
a1elbow2.0 Icon : (Today, 12:58 AM) Someone needs to save 2003s comments today for future generations
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Article: Dinger Impressed By Mangini And Wants To Stay

#1 User is offline   Untouchable Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

By ANDREA ADELSON, AP Sports Writer
January 19, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- New Jets coach Eric Mangini decided Thursday to keep offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger on staff, shortly after parting ways with defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

The move to retain Heimerdinger came as a mild surprise, since the two have no history together. But having Heimerdinger around should make things easier on offense, since he has been with the team for only one season.

Many thought Heimerdinger would be let go, and were linking him to jobs in Denver and Houston. But now he gets another shot to help an offense that struggled mightily in 2005 without Chad Pennington or Curtis Martin.

It also makes sense to keep Heimerdinger so he can have more time with work with Pennington, who is coming off his second major shoulder injury.

Heimerdinger said his meeting with Mangini went well and he was impressed with his energy. He said it didn't make a difference that he would be working for someone so much younger. Mangini turned 35 Thursday.

"His experience is good, age doesn't make a difference," Heimerdinger said.

Henderson, receivers coach Pep Hamilton and tight ends coach John Zernhelt weren't retained. It was widely expected that Henderson would be let go.

When reached on his cell phone, Henderson declined comment. There was speculation that linebackers coach Bob Sutton was elevated to defensive coordinator to replace Henderson, but nothing was made official Thursday.

Henderson joined the Jets for the 2004 season, overseeing a vast improvement in the defense as the Jets made the playoffs. In 2005, the defense played well in spots, but could not carry an anemic offense. Injuries also plagued the team as the Jets finished 4-12.

Hired by previous coach Herman Edwards, who left earlier this month to become Kansas City's coach, Henderson guided a unit that ranked second against the pass, mainly because opponents could run so well against New York. The Jets were ranked 29th at stopping the run.

Hamilton joined the coaching staff in 2003, when he was hired as offensive quality control coach. After that season he was elevated to offensive assistant coach before being promoted to oversee the wide receivers in 2005.

Zernhelt joined the Jets last February. He's a former head coach at The Citadel.

The fate of special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff was still up in the air. Heimerdinger, Henderson and Westhoff interviewed for the job that went to Mangini.

#2 User is offline   theanalogkid Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

That's a relief. Smart move by Mangini to keep someone who can fill in at his weaker side of the game and it's good for the players who won't have to relearn a new offense.
...no hero in your tradgey, no daring in your escape, no salutes to your surrender, nothing noble in your fate....Rush, The Pass.

#3 User is offline   ampedvengeance Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

Real Humdinger

Mike stays in first sign of Bradway-Mangini rift

By RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Mike Heimerdinger, who is passed over for head coaching job finds out yesterday he won't be fired, and boy is he furious.
It took only three days for Eric Mangini to experience his first crisis as the Jets' coach - and it reeks on many different levels.

In a surprising move, Mangini informed offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger yesterday that he will be retained in the same capacity. Just one problem: Heimerdinger, a holdover from Herm Edwards' staff and one of three in-house candidates bypassed for the head coach position, wants out.

Sound familiar?

Eleven days after "trading" Edwards to the Chiefs, the Jets are faced with another untenable coaching situation. It could have significant ramifications. If GM Terry Bradway is strong-arming Mangini - one league source said Mangini didn't want Heimerdinger - it undercuts the rookie coach's authority.

Heimerdinger, hired one year ago today, still has two years remaining on his contract at $1 million and $1.2 million. The Jets, who would be responsible for a portion of that if they fire him and he gets another job, apparently believe he should honor the contract. They also may not want to start over with a new system.

The team made no official announcement on Heimerdinger, who apparently doesn't feel the same loyalty because the coach who hired him - Edwards - is gone. He can't be thrilled by the prospect of working for the man who landed the job he coveted. Heimerdinger also knows that he probably has a job waiting for him in Denver, where Mike Shanahan - his former college roommate and close friend - will be looking for a coordinator once Gary Kubiak officially is named the Texans' coach.

Heimerdinger was said to be furious, and there was no mistaking his mood in a brief phone conversation with the Daily News.

Asked about his status, Heimerdinger said, "I'm the offensive coordinator of the Jets."

Are you happy about that?

"Next question."

Do you want to coach for the Jets?

"Next question."

Heimerdinger declined further comment. He is stuck because if he quits, he forfeits his salary and his rights remain with the Jets, who could prevent him from coaching elsewhere until 2008. Bradway didn't return calls seeking comment. It's hard to imagine the team keeping a disgruntled coach, so the situation probably is fluid.

Many NFL observers were stunned that Mangini rehired an Edwards holdover for the most important position on his staff. This could be a matter of Bradway, widely criticized for letting Edwards escape his contract, trying to show he's no pushover.

"This makes no sense," one person with knowledge of the situation said. "It's like a hostage (situation)."

Most new coaches bring in their own people, but Mangini named two holdovers as coordinators: Heimerdinger and Bob Sutton, a linebackers coach who was promoted to defensive coordinator. Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff also could be retained; his status will be known today.

Mangini has no prior working experience with these coaches, which should raise eyebrows. Because of his inexperience, the 35-year-old Mangini has a small network of coaching cronies, limiting his ability to assemble a staff.

Some close to the situation believe Mangini is being forced to retain the coaches because owner Woody Johnson doesn't want to eat their contracts. In Heimerdinger's case, the Jets could be trying to force him to quit or agree to a small settlement package - which would be a classless way to save a few bucks.

If the Jets really do want to retain Heimerdinger, it makes Mangini look like a puppet. In his introductory news conference, Mangini said he has the final say on coaching hires, but he quickly added, "We're going to make a collective decision."

League sources said Mangini wanted to hire Browns offensive line coach Jeff Davidson as his coordinator, although it's possible the Browns blocked that move. Even so, it's hard to imagine that Mangini took the job without knowing that Heimerdinger was a possibility.

Which raises a question: If Bradway thinks so highly of Heimerdinger, why didn't the Jets make him the head coach?

"I would hope this has an amiable conclusion," said Heimerdinger's agent, Bob Lamonte, who hopes to speak with Bradway today. "I have 30 years' experience in this business and every head coach should have the ability to pick his coordinators."

#4 User is offline   JetSon Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

WTF.gif

gotta love speculation!
<b><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Hypnotic and Witty Signature here.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></b>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users