NYJetsFan.com Forums: Why Do You Guys Love Vilma So Much? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (Yesterday, 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (Today, 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Today, 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (Today, 07:49 PM) WOO
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why Do You Guys Love Vilma So Much?

#21 User is offline   JetsMan4012 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:poker, rapping, football,baseball,basketball,video games

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (SignalZero @ Jan 23 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He just is not in the class of a Thomas or Urlacher and that's what I want.

thomas and urlacher have been in the NFL allot longer then vilma, this was vilma's 3rd year, if he was as good as them right now he could be on the pace to be one of the best LB's in the history of the NFL, just wait, be thankful hes this good this early in his career.
"They think we spellin iverson when the beef all done cuz you be on I-Vs in the E-R son"- 40 Cal
" Winning isn't everything; its the only thing"

RIP Uncle Bob 5/12/06

#22 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

Will you all be singing the same tune next year if Vilma comes back with the same lackluster, non-existent season he had this year? We are most likely not going to get a huge dominant NT this season, and Vilma will most likely suffer because of it. What if we had a shot at dealing Vilma for a top 15 pick in this years draft and move Hobson inside with Barton?

Look I think Vilma is a great player. I want that to be clear. But if you are not going to use a guy to his potential, why not get equal value for him while you can? All I'm saying is if Mangini and Co. don't think Vilma is the right type of person to play in his defense, then get someone in there who can.

Personally I think to many people are letting their emotions cloud their judgement. We all love Vilma because he is a star that we drafted. He plays the game the right way and says all the right things. But if he's not getting it done, let's not make excuses for him. Simply put he did not get it done this year, that's the bottomline. I will definately give him another year to prove he can play in the 3-4, I'll go nuts for him, hell I'll be wearing his jersey. But I will be pissed if in a year or two of continually lackluster play, Mangini n Co. finally decide to try someone else and we give him away for 50 cents on the dollar.

And I know what the response will be, he's the general of the defense if nothing else. Well that is great, but believe me, Vilma is not the only intelligent player with a good work ethic out there.

#23 User is offline   SignalZero Icon

• User
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Former Site Admin/Publisher
    NYJetsFan.com

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (NYJBlueHen @ Jan 23 2007, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will you all be singing the same tune next year if Vilma comes back with the same lackluster, non-existent season he had this year? We are most likely not going to get a huge dominant NT this season, and Vilma will most likely suffer because of it. What if we had a shot at dealing Vilma for a top 15 pick in this years draft and move Hobson inside with Barton?

Look I think Vilma is a great player. I want that to be clear. But if you are not going to use a guy to his potential, why not get equal value for him while you can? All I'm saying is if Mangini and Co. don't think Vilma is the right type of person to play in his defense, then get someone in there who can.

Personally I think to many people are letting their emotions cloud their judgement. We all love Vilma because he is a star that we drafted. He plays the game the right way and says all the right things. But if he's not getting it done, let's not make excuses for him. Simply put he did not get it done this year, that's the bottomline. I will definately give him another year to prove he can play in the 3-4, I'll go nuts for him, hell I'll be wearing his jersey. But I will be pissed if in a year or two of continually lackluster play, Mangini n Co. finally decide to try someone else and we give him away for 50 cents on the dollar.

And I know what the response will be, he's the general of the defense if nothing else. Well that is great, but believe me, Vilma is not the only intelligent player with a good work ethic out there.

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

Well said and my point exactly!

#24 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (NYJBlueHen @ Jan 23 2007, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No maybe not...but he has that rare quality in combining that intelligence and work ethic with great speed, athleticism, leadership, tackling ability, and play diagnosing...that is what makes him so special...believe me...

And how can you call his past season "lackluster" and say "he's not getting it done?" Is 113 tackles, good for 19th best in the league, lackluster? Especially for a guy learning a new system? If we should trade Vilma for only getting 113 tackles...should the rest of the league be dumping their sub-113 tackle players?

One final note...only two 3-4 linebackers had more tackles than Vilma...Donnie Edwards and James Farrior...CASE CLOSED!!!
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 23 2007, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No maybe not...but he has that rare quality in combining that intelligence and work ethic with great speed, athleticism, leadership, tackling ability, and play diagnosing...that is what makes him so special...believe me...

And how can you call his past season "lackluster" and say "he's not getting it done?" Is 113 tackles, good for 19th best in the league, lackluster? Especially for a guy learning a new system? If we should trade Vilma for only getting 113 tackles...should the rest of the league be dumping their sub-113 tackle players?

One final note...only two 3-4 linebackers had more tackles than Vilma...Donnie Edwards and James Farrior...CASE CLOSED!!!

Oh come on, you know full well stats don't tell the whole story. But if you want to focus on tackles, I'll point out that he had only 67 solo out of those 113. Edwards had 98 and Farrior had 85. Here's some more stats, Vilma 0 sacks and 0 forced fumbles. Now like I said stats don't tell the whole story, but those are a bit telling. What I am really focusing my opinion on is what I see when I watch VIlma play this year. Consistently out of position and being blocked all over the field. Often you don't even notice him out there because he is so far away from the play. That is the worst possible trait a ILB can have. His head should be in the middle of every play. And also on all those tackles you mention, how often were they 4-6 yards down field? He had an average season at best, thats unacceptable from Vilma.

#26 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (NYJBlueHen @ Jan 23 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh come on, you know full well stats don't tell the whole story. But if you want to focus on tackles, I'll point out that he had only 67 solo out of those 113. Edwards had 98 and Farrior had 85. Here's some more stats, Vilma 0 sacks and 0 forced fumbles. Now like I said stats don't tell the whole story, but those are a bit telling. What I am really focusing my opinion on is what I see when I watch VIlma play this year. Consistently out of position and being blocked all over the field. Often you don't even notice him out there because he is so far away from the play. That is the worst possible trait a ILB can have. His head should be in the middle of every play. And also on all those tackles you mention, how often were they 4-6 yards down field? He had an average season at best, thats unacceptable from Vilma.

Well that is something we can't argue unless we sat down together and watched film...but something tells me we aren't going to cuddle up under a blanket and grab a bag of popcorn anytime soon...so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'll only say if he truely was out of position at times...I'll chalk it up to learning the 3-4...however much of an weak excuse you may think that is...
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Fair enough, I was just trying to give the otherside of the story.

#28 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:40 PM

As a side note...do you think solo tackles are more highly regarded than shared tackles? Just out of curiosity...

I don't think it should make a difference...having less solo tackles to me sounds like you have a good team that all swarm to the ball as opposed to one star amongst a bunch of rejects. We all know Vilma is perfectly capable of laying someone out in the open field...so I'm not sure I would even care if every single one of his tackles wasn't solo.
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 24 2007, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a side note...do you think solo tackles are more highly regarded than shared tackles? Just out of curiosity...

I don't think it should make a difference...having less solo tackles to me sounds like you have a good team that all swarm to the ball as opposed to one star amongst a bunch of rejects. We all know Vilma is perfectly capable of laying someone out in the open field...so I'm not sure I would even care if every single one of his tackles wasn't solo.

Well I would say that solo's are more important because they are more difficult. Think about it, some of the cheap assist tackles that guys get tacked on are bs half the time. I'm not saying its a useless stat I just think solo means more, the guy was on his own and made a play, or read something and broke through and made a nice play. Also if you just look at the trend. Often better players have more solo tackles, so I'm assuming there's a correlation. But of course that also gets inflated if someone is on a terrible squad. Case in point Demeco Ryans rackin up huge numbers. Like I said before I don't care that much for stats, but I just thought the fact that Vilma had a relatively low percentage of solo tackles meant something.

#30 User is offline   SignalZero Icon

• User
  • Icon
  • View blog
    NYJetsFan.com

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (NYJBlueHen @ Jan 23 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boy am I starting to like this guy! iagree.gif iagree.gif

#31 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (SignalZero @ Jan 24 2007, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Boy am I starting to like this guy! iagree.gif iagree.gif

Question is will you be singning the same tune if in 2 years Vilma is dominant and considered one of the best? That's my question...it's easy to support people when they're doing good...but it's a lot harder when they're struggling.

If in 2 years Vilma really can't handle the 3-4...let him go...but I will still be content in knowing we gave one of the best young linebackers to come around in a long time a shot...regardless if we could have gotten a first round draft pick for him..
Posted Image

#32 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

How can you guys go by tackles to make the sole case for a player??? That's the most inaccurate stat in the NFL. It's really based solely on opinion. In the Buffalo game, you can make as good as a case he got 1 (which is the final number), or 4, it can go either way.
I have a question for you. Is Wayne Chrebet a Hall of Famer??? Is he the greatest wide reciever the game has ever seen??? The greatest wide reciever the Jets ever had??? No, and you'd be retarded to think so with any of the 3 statements. He had one 1000 yard season. Never got 100 catches a season. So...why do we love him so much??? I'm with Wayne here, though he'll soon take a back seat to my poodle again, he's in my avatar, has been for about a year. But we signed him as an UDFA. He was a hometown boy. He was a clutch player. But above all, we loved the toughness and determination of the guy said to be too small to do anything with football. But he made it, and did it.
Now sure, Vilma doesn't have the whole underdog story like Wayne. But he's been the best player on this team since joining it. Between tradings, injuries, cuts, waiver wires, and coaching changes, Vilma has remained the one costant since joining the team. And he is statistically and mentally good at football, even if some random fan were to look up Jet player stats, they'd be able to see Vilma is great. Now, granted I love Wayne, they wouldn't think he's in the same class as Vilma.
He has two great seasons as a young star. That's the thing, he's played 3 years with two COMPLETELY opposite coaching staffs in those times. That's a hard transition to make for a guy that's to make defensive calls in the huddle and when they're lined up, then deal with coaching and player trasactions, in only 3 years. Give the guy a break, it's one average year. Get over it, I mean, it was after all a rebuilding year.
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#33 User is offline   Mehlfan Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A STAR BASED SYSTEM UNDER MANGINI i bet bet if he had it his way the names would come off the back of the jersey .

All of Vilma's great attributes have been stated before PLUS he's not a whining look at me selfish person like we see everywhere in team sports . in other words VILMA is a "MANGINI TYPE" player .

the suggestion that Mangini would keep Barton over Vilma , IMHO , would never , ever happen .

Barton damn near costed the Jets the Playoff game against the Chargers in '04 , committed a personnal against NE two weeks ago and has been consistent with that all along .

My point is : refer to the Charger/Pat game , stupid , bad plays and penalties cost the Chargers that game , it was to much for LT , Gates , Meriman , Edwards &co. to overcome .

Vilma is just the type of player the Jets need more of .
Once again I'm north-ward bound
On the edge of sea and sky

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   SignalZero Icon

• User
  • Icon
  • View blog
    NYJetsFan.com

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Chadforpresidentin08 @ Jan 24 2007, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can you guys go by tackles to make the sole case for a player??? That's the most inaccurate stat in the NFL. It's really based solely on opinion. In the Buffalo game, you can make as good as a case he got 1 (which is the final number), or 4, it can go either way.
I have a question for you. Is Wayne Chrebet a Hall of Famer??? Is he the greatest wide reciever the game has ever seen??? The greatest wide reciever the Jets ever had??? No, and you'd be retarded to think so with any of the 3 statements. He had one 1000 yard season. Never got 100 catches a season. So...why do we love him so much??? I'm with Wayne here, though he'll soon take a back seat to my poodle again, he's in my avatar, has been for about a year. But we signed him as an UDFA. He was a hometown boy. He was a clutch player. But above all, we loved the toughness and determination of the guy said to be too small to do anything with football. But he made it, and did it.
Now sure, Vilma doesn't have the whole underdog story like Wayne. But he's been the best player on this team since joining it. Between tradings, injuries, cuts, waiver wires, and coaching changes, Vilma has remained the one costant since joining the team. And he is statistically and mentally good at football, even if some random fan were to look up Jet player stats, they'd be able to see Vilma is great. Now, granted I love Wayne, they wouldn't think he's in the same class as Vilma.
He has two great seasons as a young star. That's the thing, he's played 3 years with two COMPLETELY opposite coaching staffs in those times. That's a hard transition to make for a guy that's to make defensive calls in the huddle and when they're lined up, then deal with coaching and player trasactions, in only 3 years. Give the guy a break, it's one average year. Get over it, I mean, it was after all a rebuilding year.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Chrebet is the type of player I want. He didn't have those huge statistical seasons but he was the go to guy on 3rd down, made almost catch thrown to him and like you said a local guy and a huge underdog. Now Vilma doesn't make the big hits or sacks but is steady. Don't get me wrong, I like vilma and he is the type of character you want on a team, I just want a dominant big hitter to go along with it. What Vilma brings to the team right now can be replaced. There are plenty of LB's that are smart and can make the tackles he does in the 3-4 so if we can get a top 15 pick for him, why not? If not then lets hope he develops into that type of player.

#35 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

I'd rather switch back to a 4-3 than trade Vilma.

#36 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

If any fairly big player was going to get traded I would trade D Rob. Now I'm one of the few D Rob supporters...I've always liked what he can do on the field...however...if he can warrant us an early 2nd or possibly even late 1st...I would think long and hard about it.

D Rob has been good this year...but he isn't space eater...and he isn't tall enough nor does he really have the arm length necessary to be a 3-4 DE. I still would rather keep him as I like his versatility and combo of size and speed...but I wouldn't be too terribley distraught if we got an early pick in a trade for him.
Posted Image

#37 User is offline   Jigsaw Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 24 2007, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If any fairly big player was going to get traded I would trade D Rob. Now I'm one of the few D Rob supporters...I've always liked what he can do on the field...however...if he can warrant us an early 2nd or possibly even late 1st...I would think long and hard about it.

D Rob has been good this year...but he isn't space eater...and he isn't tall enough nor does he really have the arm length necessary to be a 3-4 DE. I still would rather keep him as I like his versatility and combo of size and speed...but I wouldn't be too terribley distraught if we got an early pick in a trade for him.

There is a lot of talk about D-Rob going to DE but for some reason I doubt it gets done. I can't even remember seeing him play DE at all this year. Personally I think he's a waste at DT in a 3-4 so if he doesn't move to End I agree he should be traded.
IPB Image Most people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you, not any more...

#38 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Jigsaw @ Jan 24 2007, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a lot of talk about D-Rob going to DE but for some reason I doubt it gets done. I can't even remember seeing him play DE at all this year. Personally I think he's a waste at DT in a 3-4 so if he doesn't move to End I agree he should be traded.

Yo that avatar has to go...
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   Jigsaw Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 24 2007, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Afraid ?

Attached File  _5CAUTOIMAGES_5CSID4314lg.jpg (14.22K)
Number of downloads: 25
IPB Image Most people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you, not any more...

#40 User is offline   Hey Coach Icon

• 2008 Best Avatar Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 24 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i like it.

• (3 Pages)
  • +