NYJetsFan.com Forums: Draft A Te - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (27 July 2014 - 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:49 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:16 AM) any news on Amaro? havent seen anything on twitter.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 03:56 PM) only 39 days 20 hours and 3 min to go till the JETS kick off the season on Sept 7th at 1pm against the Oakland Raiders
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:59 PM) Amaro practiced today in full pads
Resize Shouts Area

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Draft A Te

#1 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

This year two highly accomplished TE's are entering the Draft Greg Olsen, and Zach Miller. Both have the skills to be elite on the next level and are comparable to Todd Heap. I see some mock drafts where neither of them is in the 1st rd and others i see miller in the later portion of the 1st rd. Either way i think one of these guys is an excellent pick for us at a position that is a glaring Weakness. Chris Baker is a decent Red Zone option but doesnt have the speed or recieving skills to be anything more than a number 2 tight end in most offenses. The other guys we have are basically there to fill the depth chart and occasionally block. TE is a position that Chad has never really had as an option and in the short passing game they are invaluable which is where Chad excels. I think if they are there in the 2nd round we should take them in heartbeat because both of these guys are elite.
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

#2 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

I don't agree. I don't know what Chris Baker has ever done to show that he couldn't be a number one TE. They hardly ever throw him the ball, and when they do he always seems to do good things with it. I don't think he is great and I do agree that TE is a need, just not a glaring one. When you have as many holes as the Jets do, I don't think it's wise to take a TE in the first two rounds.

#3 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:09 AM

I'm with Vandelay on this one...I'm not against it...and if we can nab my boy Greg Olsen with our 2b pick...I'd be OK with that.

However, don't diss Baker...he has crazy skills...he's just heavily under-uutilized. I'm not afraid to say Baker has GREAT hands. He runs decent routes and is more athletic than given credit for. He doesn't have great speed or agility...no...but he does earn yards after the catch. Hell...we've seen him jump over people. Baker can be a # 1...a star? No...but he can be a good # 1 TE!
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Swissle Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:37 AM

who says Chris Baker can't be a star? i think if they threw him the ball more often that he definitely could have top-tier numbers.

#5 User is offline   DewayneDontSign Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 18 2007, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with Vandelay on this one...I'm not against it...and if we can nab my boy Greg Olsen with our 2b pick...I'd be OK with that.

However, don't diss Baker...he has crazy skills...he's just heavily under-uutilized. I'm not afraid to say Baker has GREAT hands. He runs decent routes and is more athletic than given credit for. He doesn't have great speed or agility...no...but he does earn yards after the catch. Hell...we've seen him jump over people. Baker can be a # 1...a star? No...but he can be a good # 1 TE!

I think Chris Baker has the best hands on the team

#6 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

chris baker is decent but i've never really seen anything special from him in the last 4 years that he's been on the team. In 4 years he has pretty much maximized his potential and what he is now is most likely the best he'll ever be which is solid but nothing special. Remember when Hemindinger was the OC he loved to go to TE's but still chris baker never took much advantage. But i do agree that this draft is full of TE's that can play like Clark Harris from rutgers who i think we should take 2nd day at least for depth, Olsen and Miller are in the elite group in this draft.

#7 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chris baker is decent but i've never really seen anything special from him in the last 4 years that he's been on the team. In 4 years he has pretty much maximized his potential and what he is now is most likely the best he'll ever be which is solid but nothing special. Remember when Hemindinger was the OC he loved to go to TE's but still chris baker never took much advantage. But i do agree that this draft is full of TE's that can play like Clark Harris from rutgers who i think we should take 2nd day at least for depth, Olsen and Miller are in the elite group in this draft.

Actually yeah he did take advantage...but he got injured and missed most of the season...it's hard to catch balls on the sidelines...
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

• THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Swissle @ Jan 18 2007, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who says Chris Baker can't be a star? i think if they threw him the ball more often that he definitely could have top-tier numbers.

iagree.gif
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 User is online   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Swissle @ Jan 18 2007, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly...like one of my boys said if Cotchery got the ball more he would light shit up and look what happened. I think the same way about Baker too. I mean, if he got the ball more, I think he'll do awesome things, but still, if he's into that same kind of role and doesn't produce (which I personally doubt), then the Jets know what they need to do.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 18 2007, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually yeah he did take advantage...but he got injured and missed most of the season...it's hard to catch balls on the sidelines...

He's been in the league 5 years now and is going into his 6th i would say he hasnt made the most of his opportunity...Unless your waiting out for year 10 for him to have a break-out year

#11 User is online   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You gotta remember that Baker DID play for Herm. Thats why you see guys like Cotchery and Rhodes breaking out now, something that they weren't able to do under the Herm regime b/c Herm played the guys who got paid, regardless of their performance. Now that we're able to see Cotchery and Rhodes break out un the Mangini era, what makes you think Baker won't be able to do the same given a good opportunity?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (HarlemHellfighterNYC @ Jan 18 2007, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You gotta remember that Baker DID play for Herm. Thats why you see guys like Cotchery and Rhodes breaking out now, something that they weren't able to do under the Herm regime b/c Herm played the guys who got paid, regardless of their performance. Now that we're able to see Cotchery and Rhodes break out un the Mangini era, what makes you think Baker won't be able to do the same given a good opportunity?

good point

#13 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

In the later rounds possibly, but in the first two rounds at least - no.

#14 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's been in the league 5 years now and is going into his 6th i would say he hasnt made the most of his opportunity...Unless your waiting out for year 10 for him to have a break-out year

It's not his fault they have just never thrown the ball to him. I like the Cotchery comparison. I always thought he was good, but he never developed under herm (surprise surprise). This year they threw him a lot of balls, and he had a breakout year. Last year, it looked like Baker was finally coming into his own, but then he broke his leg. This year he had a career high in receptions and had 5 catches in the wild card game. He may not be that fast or a flashy player, but he always gets the job done when given the opportunity. I think he could easily be a guy who catches 45-50 balls next year. That's not too bad for a TE. I agree that they could use another pass catching TE, just not in the second round.

#15 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not only was Herm the coach...but Anthony Becht was still here up until two year's ago. So in Baker's first year starting he looked to really break out...than got injured. In this year, he looked good every time we threw the ball to him...but we didn't target the TE much...plus Baker was kept in to block A LOT for our young and suspect offensive line. He set career records in recpetions and yards this year...and tied his career best in TD's.

I gurantee you...if the line improves to a point where it can hold it's own...we will see a lot more balls thrown to and caught by our hometown, Queens native Chris Baker!

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

Baker is certainly a solid player and a quality starter, but if the Jets get a shot at Olsen or Miller in the 2nd round, particularly their 2nd round 2 pick, they need to consider it long and hard. It would add a completely new dimension to our offense as those two can do things that Baker can't. I'd love to see us run some double tight formations with both TE's being legit threats. Miller or Olsen would make that possible.

#17 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

we'd have a threat similar to daniel graham and ben watson except better...i actually like the comparison of graham to baker both slightly undersized but great hands and most effective in the redzone..... hopefully hurricane is right and that o-line holds up so baker can be another threat in the passing game

#18 User is offline   penningtonpays Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

i say we do draft another TE in round 3 or with or 2nd 2nd rounder, look at the patriots, they have a graham and watson. 2 recieving threat TEs.

IPB Image

#19 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we'd have a threat similar to daniel graham and ben watson except better...i actually like the comparison of graham to baker both slightly undersized but great hands and most effective in the redzone..... hopefully hurricane is right and that o-line holds up so baker can be another threat in the passing game

Graham and Watson are a lot faster than Baker...

And I don't know how you call Baker undersized? He's 250 pounds...that's a hefty man?

Chris Cooley actually may be the best comparison to Baker...
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 18 2007, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graham and Watson are a lot faster than Baker...

And I don't know how you call Baker undersized? He's 250 pounds...that's a hefty man?

Chris Cooley actually may be the best comparison to Baker...

Chris cooley is alot more athletic and versatile than baker not to mention is an h-back which is a FB/TE. And baker being undersized at a TE comes more from his lack of height than his width. Graham is not nearly as fast as watson as we all saw watson chase down champ bailey, guys like baker and graham good never do that in their lifetime. Baker is 6'3'' 258lbs and graham is 6'3'' 257".

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users