NYJetsFan.com Forums: Chrebet Calls It A Career - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 09:18 AM) I want a new GM and HC
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 09:54 AM) Should I go Vincent Jackson or Jarvis Landry as my WR3?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:13 AM) i'd go landry
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:40 AM) The opposite of what Mr Jet thinks about it.
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) Top Bantz by 05
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...ousAlaskanhusky
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:19 PM) holy shit thrilling match up tonight
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:13 PM) Does it matter who wins tonight? Draft pick wise for the Jets?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:16 PM) Probably not. We probably want to draft above the Titans though if that is possible, they are a team that could use a QB. The Jaguars just drafted Blake Bortles, doubt they go first round QB 2 years in a row
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:29 PM) so titans win is best win
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:52 PM) DRAFT WINSTON
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) I'm leaning towards wanting to draft Cooper or oline with the first pick. have a good line and or relceiver core and try and sign Bradford or trade for Cutler to play QB. And have Geno as back up for us.
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:06 PM) Not sure if Winston can be a franchise QB. Even Mariota has question marks.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 PM) That is why we need to draft Cooper at WR and then later in the draft go and get Petty
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:44 PM) clipboard jesus lead the way
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:48 PM) I miss leon
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:35 PM) If the Jets would have lost last week since the Jags won the Jets would have the 2 seed right now and not stuck at the 6 seed
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:36 PM) Oh well
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:21 AM) I think IK shows potential as a pass rusher
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 12:50 PM) If the new HC goes to a 4-3 it will be interesting to see if Couples can play on the end.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) he's probably better as a 4-3 DE then a 3-4 LBer anyway
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) we'd need another DT though
santana Icon : (Today, 02:12 PM) Rex to atlanta rumors swirling about
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 03:35 PM) Who should be my 2 starters at WR for my fantasy. Championship game. It's between AJ Green, Djax, and Mike Evans. I have Hilton too but I think colts will sit him this week
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 03:36 PM) I'm thinking Djax and Evans. I don't think the match up with green vs Denver
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 03:37 PM) I have Ingram, Lamar Miller, and Lacy as my RBs and flex
santana Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) green and desean pretty much the same risk reward
santana Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) lock evans in and play the matchup for the other spot
santana Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) also might snow in denver mnf i would keep an eye on that
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 04:48 PM) Good thinkin! I think I'm going to play djax. I like the match up better
Resize Shouts Area

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Chrebet Calls It A Career He ends his career with 580 receptions

#1 User is offline   bluelinecop Icon

• 04 L.F. Award/05 Best Mod Award/06 Best Sig Award
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

Chrebet calls it a career

By ANDREA ADELSON, AP Sports Writer
December 22, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet said Thursday his career was over, one month after sustaining a season-ending concussion.

Chrebet spent 11 seasons with his hometown team after signing as an undrafted free agent out of Hofstra, but was plagued with head injuries the last few seasons. Though he was undersized at 5-foot-10, he quickly became a clutch possession receiver, working his way up the team record charts.

He ends his career with 580 receptions, second to Don Maynard's 627 on the team list. Chrebet made his first appearance at the Jets' facility Thursday since he was hurt Nov. 6 against San Diego. His impromptu comments confirmed the expected.

"I'm not going to get back on the field. I think everybody's aware of that," Chrebet said. "But I'm just thankful and want to let the right people know I appreciate everything they've done for me."

On the play in which he got hurt, Chrebet was making a third-down catch for a first down, symbolic of the type of plays he made throughout his career. He stayed down on the field for several minutes, with a scary, glazed look in his eyes.

It was the latest in a series of problems for Chrebet. He had a post-traumatic migraine early in the 2003 season and missed the final eight games that season with postconcussion syndrome. He considered retiring, but instead came back last season. Chrebet played in all 16 games, but sustained a mild concussion in the regular-season finale against St. Louis.

"It's just a weird thing you don't want to accept," Chrebet said. "I've had a lot of time at home with my kids and that's been great. It's something I've always looked forward to. The rest is dealing with not having this in my life anymore."

Because of all he had to endure this season, teammates selected him as the recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award.

Chrebet said he will wait until the season ends before filing his retirement papers with the NFL.

"I'll hold on -- I don't want to see somebody wearing 80 in green and white that fast," he joked.

Updated on Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 12:49 pm
Fifteen years ago after an especially disappointing loss to Miami, Esiason, then the Jets' quarterback, was making the seven-mile drive from the Meadowlands back to Manhattan.
While he was slogging through stop-and-go traffic at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, the car next to him was violently rear-ended. The quarterback threw his car into park, hopped out and ran to the woman whose car had been hit. She was wearing, of all things, an Esiason jersey, and was utterly shocked when he tapped on her window to check on her.
"Are you OK?" he said, trying to keep calm. "Are you OK?"
"Boomer? Is that you?" she asked the Good Samaritan, sounding disoriented. "I think I'm OK, but . ... "
But what?
"But you guys sucked."
Welcome to the New York Jets, Tim Tebow.

http://modernworldphotography.com/
http://fineartameric...dos-santos.html

#2 User is offline   ganggreen_ewok Icon

• 06 M. I. P. Award
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Strolling on shady streets, you know the usual

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

Salute to a great Jet, have a good life Chrebet

View Postganggreen_ewok, on 13 June 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

"And once again, the meow became a roar"

Posted Image

#3 Guest_JCBizkit87_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for your long stay here Wayne, you will forever be my favorite nfl player. You will be missed by us all.

#4 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• 05 M. I. P. Award/06 Teen MVP Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets and Yanks

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif One of the men who made we love the Jets is gone. Wayne, we love you, we salute you and bow to you. Come back as a coach, and we enjoyed every play, every 580 catches, even one of those 7,365 yards, all of those 43 TDs, and of course, all the effort you gave, and all the memories you gave. And all those autographs you signed, all the waves and high fives will never be forgotten, we loved all of it, all those things, 80 times more than anything else.
We love you Wayne!!!!!!!!! drinks.gif
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.
Member since March 25, 2005.

#5 User is offline   DewayneDontSign Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

drinks.gif Cheers to Chrebet

#6 User is offline   ganggreen_ewok Icon

• 06 M. I. P. Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Strolling on shady streets, you know the usual

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:41 PM

As much as I don't like to see Wayne hurt, its good that hes not leaving the league as a washed up journey man

View Postganggreen_ewok, on 13 June 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

"And once again, the meow became a roar"

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (bluelinecop @ Dec 22 2005, 08:05 PM)
"I'll hold on -- I don't want to see somebody wearing 80 in green and white that fast," he joked.
Updated on Thursday, Dec 22, 2005 12:49 pm

I dont want to see somebody wearing 80 unless their name is Chrebet.

#8 Guest_JCBizkit87_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

Does the price of Wayne's jersey go down since he will not be on the team anymore? Or is it different from leaving the team, and going to a different team, then just retiring?

#9 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

^Not sure, but I've already got one.
"You ask, what is our aim?... It is victory, victory at all cost" Winston Churchill.

#10 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

i hope he comes back to us as a coach next year
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Amen Icon

• Head Writer / 2008 Best Mod Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Smedsthejet @ Dec 22 2005, 03:18 PM)
I dont want to see somebody wearing 80 unless their name is Chrebet.

i was going to quote the same snippet. Chrebet's jersey should be retired long before anyone things of donning the number again.

#12 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Amen @ Dec 22 2005, 02:58 PM)
i was going to quote the same snippet. Chrebet's jersey should be retired long before anyone things of donning the number again.

While Chrebet is was always reliable and always a solid player, he wasn't greatness. Numbers should be retired only for players who were "greatness" like Curtis Martin. If we start retiring numbers for sentimental reasons, it will mean nothing to the players who were truly great.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

I will always love Wayne Chrebet, he's been more reliable than any player we've had. Thanks for all the memories!
Posted Image

#14 Guest_JCBizkit87_*

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (JetsOhFive @ Dec 22 2005, 08:08 PM)
While Chrebet is was always reliable and always a solid player, he wasn't greatness.  Numbers should be retired only for players who were "greatness" like Curtis Martin.  If we start retiring numbers for sentimental reasons, it will mean nothing to the players who were truly great.

Numbers my ass.

He was a great Jet, and he does deserve his number to be retired, and if you do nto believe that you need a smack in the face.

#15 User is offline   Chadforpresidentin08 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:58 PM

Oh, JC, the prices would most likely fall, by like 80%.

#16 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:00 PM

Chrebet doesn't deserve his number retired. He was a good player who overachieved his whole career but just because he was a little white wide receiver who the fans loved doesn't mean his number should be retired. He had a nice career and will go down as one of the fans' favorite Jets of all time but you don't retire pretty good player's jersey you retired the great ones.

#17 User is offline   Vilma#51 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (JetsOhFive @ Dec 22 2005, 03:08 PM)
While Chrebet is was always reliable and always a solid player, he wasn't greatness.  Numbers should be retired only for players who were "greatness" like Curtis Martin.  If we start retiring numbers for sentimental reasons, it will mean nothing to the players who were truly great.

Whats #'s got to do with retiring somone??? theres a reason why Wayne is the most loved Jet ever to play for gain green

He did not set Jet records like Curtis or Joe Namath but he was the best cluch 3rd down WR in the history of the NFL and he was only 5'9 180 pounds. Never in my life even in Real life or tv seen a WR that took shot after show in the head or body and still ended up catching it and still get up and pump his fist on his chest and take it like a Man... Theres soo much wonderful things i can say about him. He is the reason i'm a Jet fan and one of the people i looked up too when you talk about sports. I cry when i heard this news Wayne is the man and i thank Wayne for the memorys and i thank you for giving me a reason to belive in the Jets and i thank you for everything you tought me about playing with heart * in sports* Me and Bizkit are the two biggest #80 fans and when it comes to facts about me and wayne we'll both know it...

But if you think retiring people because of #'s your dead wrong Jetsohfive stop trying to be a media reporter and be a JET fan not only Jetsohfive but everyone in this site. Its ashame a Jet fan does not think Wayne won't get his # retired because of Wayne there was people in the stands in 96 besides MeShawn. there was a reason of a growing of the Jets fans party because of the changes in coaches and some players were thankful for but before all that Wayne was the Broadway of the Jets the Best player they had on that 96 1-15 team and i'm thankful for being a jet fan

I'm telling who ever is running that Jets office the smartest move you will ever make since signing Namath is to get #80 retired and hire him as a WR's coach because i promise you this guy will make some kind of coach if he wanted too in the furture of some sort

Goodbye #80 your our Dare Devil thanks for the memorys and lessons of how to be a true hearted player. Thats what you taught me..... Cheers Wayne drinks.gif
<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/Jedi+Master1121.swf" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

#18 User is offline   smallguy Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

Though stats don't show it, Wayne will always be one of the great Jets too me. drinks.gif Goodbye wayne, thanks for the memories.

#19 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (NYJBlueHen @ Dec 22 2005, 09:35 PM)
Chrebet doesn't deserve his number retired. He was a good player who overachieved his whole career but just because he was a little white wide receiver who the fans loved doesn't mean his number should be retired. He had a nice career and will go down as one of the fans' favorite Jets of all time but you don't retire pretty good player's jersey you retired the great ones.

I think fans should have the final decision on players' jerseys to retire and I think Wayne should have his retired.

So what he didnt have the stats, he had a great career for an undrafted player and was clutch when called upon, delivering when neccessary.

I agree with Vilma#51 that he taught the fans how to be a true hearted player - Wayne never played for himself, always for the team. This is shown by the number of concussions and number of times he would go across the middle to catch the ball.

#20 User is offline   VILMA 619 Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:54 PM

I'll buy one. I just dont like buying jerseys and then the players leave like i think Abe will which is why i wont buy his new snazzy #56. I dont own a Curtis jersey either..i plan to get on of his also. I hope Chrebet does come back to the Jets in some fashion and is involved. He'll always be apreciated by me! Best of luck to him.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users