NYJetsFan.com Forums: Eric Smith Vs Eric Coleman - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit
azjetfan Icon : (17 November 2014 - 10:22 PM) Titans may pull this one out!
azjetfan Icon : (17 November 2014 - 11:17 PM) Or not
azjetfan Icon : (17 November 2014 - 11:18 PM) Mettle burger a 6th rounder played better than Geno or Sanchez
ganggreen2003 Icon : (18 November 2014 - 05:34 PM) all these players that got cut today cause they bitched about touches
ganggreen2003 Icon : (18 November 2014 - 05:35 PM) Ben Tate, LaGarret Blount and Jason Avant
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 01:37 PM) aldaon smith did too, but he didn't get cut
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 06:51 PM) ALDAON SMITH
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 06:51 PM) TEH MILBER
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 08:51 PM) Fuck you lol ;)
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 08:51 PM) and it was brooks anyway ;)
santana Icon : (19 November 2014 - 11:36 PM) Titties
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:46 AM) Raul is bringing nothing to the table
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:47 AM) TEH TABLE
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 12:59 PM) he really doesnt
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 12:59 PM) besides funding the site
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 02:00 PM) Looks like the game will be moved to Monday night in either Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Washington DC.
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 02:55 PM) that makes it sound like I AM THE TABLE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 November 2014 - 03:36 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 08:28 PM) lets go chaaaaaaaales
azjetfan Icon : (20 November 2014 - 08:37 PM) We want raiders to win
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 08:59 PM) Michael Irvin pre-game, "Jamaal Charles makes defenders look like Ray Charles"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:00 PM) JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit as per Fox Sports Mike Garafalo
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:07 PM) word
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:07 PM) i wonder how much tickets could be
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:16 PM) murray bringing it to the table for 05
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:16 PM) well bringing it to his bench
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:22 PM) Unreal. My fantasy luck is awesome
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:25 PM) GIOVANI OCHO SANTOS
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:26 PM) If i win by 3 pts i'm going to get drunk with the tulane students
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:50 PM) I don't think murray comes back. That hit was pretty vicious
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) THEEE RAAAAAAIYYYYDDDAAAHSS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) Hell has frozen over
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) the Raiders have won a game against the KC Cheifs
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:51 PM) that celebration on 3rd down when they sacked alex smith was hilarious
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:51 PM) they had no clue it was 3rd down
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:56 PM) RAUL IS TEH TABLE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:57 PM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:22 PM) yeah buddy
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:23 PM) I wonder how much ticket to this jets game would be. I hope its free
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:24 PM) city of detriot needs something.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:25 PM) yeah global warming
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:34 PM) Any word on what channel the game will be shown outside of the NY area?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:07 PM) No idea
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:07 PM) Direct tv announced they will be showing it though
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:08 PM) I just found out it will not be shown nationally
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Eric Smith Vs Eric Coleman

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Post icon  Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

Has anyone else noticed the play of Eric Smith this year? Now I know Coleman gets more playing time then E. Smith and has more opportunity but Smith has taken full advantage of his opportunities when his numbers been called. I've actually been skeptical of Coleman this year. He had a quiet year which can be a good thing or a bad thing but I truly think that if Coleman doesn't step up he's going to be gone. That 5th pick that we all scrutinized at the beginning of the season has been playing surprisingly well.

I like Coleman but he has a tendency to whiff tackles and get burned on the run. Smith is more of a slash and crash SS and is starting to make a name for himself. Like I said Coleman better step it up because Smith is breathing down his neck.

Anyone else notice the play of E.Smith this season?

#2 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

He has been playing well...but I still consider our other safety position a weakness. We all know Rhodes is the shit...but I don't really trust Eric or Erik. Smith doesn't have the closing speed but is good against the run...sort of. Coleman is a little better in coverage, but is pretty bad against the run and still blows a lot of pass plays.

I think we need to bring in another Eric...haha...his name is Eric Weddle and he's probably one of the most overlooked players in the draft. He played cornerback in college, but also spent time at strong and free safety. He's likely to be a 3rd rounder...and depending on how free agency and the other picks in the draft go...we might want to consider bringing him in.

He racked up 7 interceptions this year...to bring his career total to 18 in 4 years. He defended 12 passes last year.

The book on Weddle is that he's the classic overachiever. He doesn't have impressive numbers, but he simply makes it happen. He's probably the definition of a Mangini guy...good person...smart guy...hard worker.

He probably has a slim chance at being a Jet...but if we handle most of our needs before the 3rd round...Tangini has shown last year in the third round that they are willing to go after guys' who fit their philosiphy despite need.

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

Smith did do a solid job and I expect Mangini to make Coleman's safety spot up for grabs like last year again. Smith and Coleman seem to be opposites of one another in regard to their strengths and weaknesses but the advantage in TC would certainly go to Coleman given his starting experience so far but there must be a reason a 3rd rounder was spent on Smith (and Schlegal for that matter).

#4 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

id like to take another look at andre maddox. he looked good coming out of college and got hurt. i think theres a reason we held onto him and got rid of guys like rashad washington and oliver celestin

#5 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (ellisjersey92 @ Jan 15 2007, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
id like to take another look at andre maddox. he looked good coming out of college and got hurt. i think theres a reason we held onto him and got rid of guys like rashad washington and oliver celestin

Actually Rashad Washington is still a Jet...Andre Maddox...not so much...
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

yea just noticed that...i didnt see him this year

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 15 2007, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has been playing well...but I still consider our other safety position a weakness. We all know Rhodes is the shit...but I don't really trust Eric or Erik. Smith doesn't have the closing speed but is good against the run...sort of. Coleman is a little better in coverage, but is pretty bad against the run and still blows a lot of pass plays.

I think we need to bring in another Eric...haha...his name is Eric Weddle and he's probably one of the most overlooked players in the draft. He played cornerback in college, but also spent time at strong and free safety. He's likely to be a 3rd rounder...and depending on how free agency and the other picks in the draft go...we might want to consider bringing him in.

He racked up 7 interceptions this year...to bring his career total to 18 in 4 years. He defended 12 passes last year.

The book on Weddle is that he's the classic overachiever. He doesn't have impressive numbers, but he simply makes it happen. He's probably the definition of a Mangini guy...good person...smart guy...hard worker.

He probably has a slim chance at being a Jet...but if we handle most of our needs before the 3rd round...Tangini has shown last year in the third round that they are willing to go after guys' who fit their philosiphy despite need.

Thats the guy I want, I really dont think that Eric Smith or Coleman are that good of starters, Coleman has more potiential then Smith because he has more speed and a bigger upside. But Smith is a good back up, he is a smart player who is good against the run, but he seems alittle slow and bad at coverage, though he did have 2 ints this year. I would love for us to draft Weddle, I made a topic about getting him last year I think. He would be perfect for us. The thing I dont like about Coleman, is he has a lot of tackles broken from him. He seems alittle small. Sometimes though he makes good plays getting TFL on blitzes, but he is inconsistent, he will also let a guy brake his tackle and get more yards.

QUOTE (ellisjersey92 @ Jan 15 2007, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maddox must be pretty bad just to be a practice squad guy. Rashad Washington is actually a really good backup, hes a good special teams player, and a pretty decent blitzer, he had 1 sack this year.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

You know, I think you can knit pick any player at any position. Manning isn't clutch enough when it counts...Vilma/Lewis/Edwards/Thomas are too small...etc. The problem with looking for the "prototypical" player is that you overlook the player on the field. To me, Eric Smith played great in coverage and was pretty good against the run too. Erik Coleman has taken a step or two backwards the past two years IMO. I like the way Eric Smith played and he did pretty good in clutch situations. Beginners luck? Maybe.

Either way, I think we could definately upgrade the position but I want the best player... not just getting a guy because he's 6-2 220 and runs a 4.4.

#9 User is offline   DewayneDontSign Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

actually Eric Smith is faster than Coleman, Smith ran a 4.58 and Coleman a 4.64. Smith is actaully pretty athletic all around, he also had a very impressive 40 inch vertical, 6.91 3 cone drill (wr agility) and put up 21 reps of 225. I like Smith back there for some reason, plus he is an intimidator that can really lay the wood, as shown on Wes Welker and Kellen Winslow.

#10 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (jets0n @ Jan 15 2007, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I think you can knit pick any player at any position. Manning isn't clutch enough when it counts...Vilma/Lewis/Edwards/Thomas are too small...etc. The problem with looking for the "prototypical" player is that you overlook the player on the field. To me, Eric Smith played great in coverage and was pretty good against the run too. Erik Coleman has taken a step or two backwards the past two years IMO. I like the way Eric Smith played and he did pretty good in clutch situations. Beginners luck? Maybe.

Either way, I think we could definately upgrade the position but I want the best player... not just getting a guy because he's 6-2 220 and runs a 4.4.

Well..Eric Weddle is only 6'0"...a mere 200 lbs...and doesn't run a 4.4 ahah...he's perfect!!! But seriously...I would like to see him a Jet...the guy is a leader and simply makes...it...happen.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (DewayneDontSign @ Jan 15 2007, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually Eric Smith is faster than Coleman, Smith ran a 4.58 and Coleman a 4.64. Smith is actaully pretty athletic all around, he also had a very impressive 40 inch vertical, 6.91 3 cone drill (wr agility) and put up 21 reps of 225. I like Smith back there for some reason, plus he is an intimidator that can really lay the wood, as shown on Wes Welker and Kellen Winslow.

When I watch them play, Coleman looks faster then Smith, probaly has more game speed then Smith, he also looks more fluid in the hips.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   kenxnice Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

easy one hands down eric smith, i've seen him made some really good and solid tackles unlike coleman.. the guy over persuit, gets burn and miss cruical tackles all the time that i could think of
"can you feel whats about to happen on this field, can ya'll feel thay?"

#13 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

I fully expect there to be a competition at safety in training camp. We know Rhodes will obviously be one starter, but we don't know who the other will be. After a surprising rookie season, Erik Coleman has been pretty bad the last two years. He blows coverage, he gets burned, and he misses tackles at key times. He can not be counted on. I thought Eric Smith had a pretty good rookie year and at times, he showed flashes. I'd like to see Smith win the job in TC. It means he proved that he was better than Coleman.

#14 User is offline   Fatman Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

I really like Coleman, but his play has been sub par to ok at best lately. He's shows glimpses of being good but nothing consistent.

Thanks for the Memories

#15 User is offline   cmart=the best Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

Eh give Coleman another year.

#16 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

i'm hoping that rashad washington can win that JOb, the guy is an in the box type safety who can deliver the huge hits, thats a perfect complement to rhodes who is more athletic and versatile..............but either way i think safety is one of our better positions........at the worst Erik Coleman is an average NFL safety considering his age and the room he has for improvement, this isnt a bad thing
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

#17 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 15 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm hoping that rashad washington can win that JOb, the guy is an in the box type safety who can deliver the huge hits, thats a perfect complement to rhodes who is more athletic and versatile..............but either way i think safety is one of our better positions........at the worst Erik Coleman is an average NFL safety considering his age and the room he has for improvement, this isnt a bad thing

It's fun to dream isn't it? Rashad is strictly a special teamer and a situational player not a starter. I like him but he hasn't given and or showed the sudden impact of a good player like Eric Smith. Smith is a rookie on a very complicated and complex Mangini defense and he's made noise. Coleman needs to be very worried at this point because Smith will push him this year

#18 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Jan 15 2007, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's fun to dream isn't it? Rashad is strictly a special teamer and a situational player not a starter. I like him but he hasn't given and or showed the sudden impact of a good player like Eric Smith. Smith is a rookie on a very complicated and complex Mangini defense and he's made noise. Coleman needs to be very worried at this point because Smith will push him this year

Agreed...Rashad Washington will never start. We wouldn't have played Erik Coleman, Eric Smith, and Derrick Strait over him if that were the case.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   ganggreen_ewok Icon

• 06 M. I. P. Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Strolling on shady streets, you know the usual

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

Problem is we already have a slash and crash SS in Rhodes. Now before everyone jumping on me for calling Rhodes one dimensional, let me say that Rhodes is much more than that. However, Coleman complements Rhodes nicely. When Rhodes blitzes Coleman is the sole rover in the backfield and he has done a decent job at the least. Smith is a project talent, someone we'll keep when we need the third down stops (because he covers and can tackle) and if he developes into a starter than great. If not, then at least he contributed

View Postganggreen_ewok, on 13 June 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

"And once again, the meow became a roar"

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Jan 15 2007, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did say "hope" implying he would get better..............but washington might be a bumb and get cut this off-season also.......but my point is we should get a safety that knocks wr's heads off when they go over the middle and is also stout against the run....
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users