NYJetsFan.com Forums: Is Vinny A Hall Of Famer - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets start voluntary offseason programs today
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:48 PM) 0-0
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:48 PM) whatever that means
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:59 PM) Some talk that Dennard might slide to round 2 now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby and Fuller are rising.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby absolute physical freak but really inconsistent as a player
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) loved him going into school but never grew into the player i thought he would become
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) I don't want Roby, afraid we take him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) f***ing draft should be this week, not 2 weeks from now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) I rather go get a CB like Phillip Gaines in round 3.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) 1-Odell Beckham Jr WR, 2-Jace Amaro TE, 3-Phillip Gaines CB.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:04 PM) Where is Marcus Roberson being projected
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:05 PM) round 2 I think
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:06 PM) he'll be a solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:18 PM) solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:19 PM) boston. strong.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) you're a clown
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) just for the record
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:27 PM) FIRE RAUL
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) agreed
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) EJ > Raul
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) lmao
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) I wouldn't go that far
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) true
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) but its closer by the day
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:13 PM) LET'S GO RANGERS!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Boo rangers
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) boo the Knicks
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Let's go wizards!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:52 PM) SANTANA DESERVES BETTER
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:56 PM) Just landed in Reagan jumping on the wizards bandwagon taxi right out the gate
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:47 PM) Tanaka looks good so far
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:45 PM) The title race is REAL
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) Teh Raptors!!!!!!!!!!
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) Let's go Habs!
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 05:18 AM) Pineda looks good so far
santana Icon : (Today, 07:18 AM) Pineda solid pro
santana Icon : (Today, 07:19 AM) Pineda went Boston strong on Boston
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:57 AM) He has, except he is stupid for putting the shit on his neck. He has to hide that better.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) @Bischoff_Scott: Per a source, the #Lions are having discussions about moving #Suh before the draft to move up as high as possible in the first round.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) now that would be a fairly big move
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:46 AM) If they trade Suh to get Watkins, I would laugh. That doesn't really make their team better, they already have a high yardage passing attack
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:47 AM) They have the best WR in football and they signed Tate who will be a excellent #2 to Johnson
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:53 AM) too many smokes screens. f*** the extra 2 weeks of this shit, the draft should be tonight!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:04 PM) The media is so dumb, Jon Gieger Revis' best friend tweets a pic from the Jets website and says it's revis, and all of the media goes along with it making fun of the Jets when it was really Jeremy Kerleyr.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) uh oh - "Bradley Roby charged with operating a vehicle under the influence"
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is Vinny A Hall Of Famer

#1 Guest_Cmart28Abe94_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

is Vinny Testeverde worthy of the hall of fame???

#2 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

nope

#3 Guest_Cmart28Abe94_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

how he not a HOF hes top 10 on the all time list in completions passin yards an TD passes. Steve Youngs in the hall of fame an Vinny has betta number than young. the only thing Vinny doesnt have is a ring

#4 User is offline   TheUltimate Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Cmart28Abe94 @ May 14 2005, 07:31 PM)
how he not a HOF hes top 10 on the all time list in  completions passin yards an TD passes.  Steve Youngs in the hall of fame an Vinny has betta number than young.  the only thing Vinny doesnt have is a ring

Cause he was never a dominant QB except in 98, he was just blessed with a long career that makes his numbers look better then he really was.
"Straight Cash Homey"

User Posted Image

#5 User is offline   bigrob142 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:football, all sports and girls<br />love the jets, nets, yanks, and devils!

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:52 PM

no way in hell is vinny a hall of famer. chad will be though, just give him a couple healthy years! couple more years, a few rings on his fingers! hell yeah

#6 User is offline   SMC Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:What life has to offer.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

I can't believe that anyone would suggest that Vinny is a Hall of Famer. Cmart, in no way shape or form does he have better numbers than Steve Young.

Vinny has a career QB rating of 74.5, and has thrown more INTs (255) than Young has thrown TDs (232). Young has a career QB rating of 96.8 and has thrown only 107 INTs with a Compl. % of 64.3 compared to Vinny's 56.5. Vinny is not even in the same class as Young. Vinny has played 18 years and has had only 5 seasons where his QB rating was over 80, while Young in 15 seasons has 11 seasons with a QB rating over 90!

Vinny's been fortunate to last 18 seasons. His longevity does not reveal that he is a Hall of Fame caliber QB.
<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>SCORING MORE THAN YOUR OPPONENTS WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#7 User is offline   VinnyTheGinny Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

I love Vinny...my all time favorite player. But unfortunately, he's not a Hall of Famer.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

#8 Guest_Cmart28Abe94_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

Steve Young had only a few good years and that one superbowl year and he had Jerry Rice who is by far the best receiver to play the game. Vinny never had a real dominatin receveiver besides Keyshaun Johnson whos not even as grate as Jerry Rice. Vinny was good enough to produce 1,000 yard receivers with his passes. Now Steve Young was great but im jus sayin that he had an advantage with Jerry Rice the best receiver in the game. an stat wise they both had their strengths. Vinny had completions TD Passes an Passing yards over steve young. Steve Young was just more of a percentage passer lik completion percentage an QB rating. Therefore my opinion Vinny iz worthy of the HOF an shuld be in it jus as much as Steve Young. Like i said the only thing he has that Vinny doesnt hav is a ring.

#9 User is offline   TheUltimate Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Cmart28Abe94 @ May 14 2005, 09:08 PM)
Steve Young had only a few good years and that one superbowl year and he had Jerry Rice who is by far the best receiver to play the game.  Vinny never had a real dominatin receveiver besides Keyshaun Johnson whos not even as grate as Jerry Rice.  Vinny was good enough to produce 1,000 yard receivers with his passes.  Now Steve Young was great but im jus sayin that he had an advantage with Jerry Rice the best receiver in the game.    an stat wise they both had their strengths.  Vinny had completions TD Passes an Passing yards over steve young.  Steve Young was just more of a percentage passer lik completion percentage an QB rating.  Therefore my opinion Vinny iz worthy of the HOF an shuld be in it jus as much as Steve Young.  Like i said the only thing he has that Vinny doesnt hav is a ring.

Testaverde has had 1 Hall of Fame year, I believe there is no way he will be even close of getting into the Hall Of Fame, and I like Vinny, but comparing his career stats to Steve Young is not fair cause Young's career was cut short by concussions and he had to sit behind Montana for a few years. And you can't blame Young for having a great wide recievers, cause then we have to say Manning has Harrison that is the reason he is great.
"Straight Cash Homey"

User Posted Image

#10 Guest_Cmart28Abe94_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (TheUltimate @ May 14 2005, 09:24 PM)
Testaverde has had 1 Hall of Fame year, I believe there is no way he will be even close of getting into the Hall Of Fame, and I like Vinny, but comparing his career stats to Steve Young is not fair cause Young's career was cut short by concussions and he had to sit behind Montana for a few years. And you can't blame Young for having a great wide recievers, cause then we have to say Manning has Harrison that is the reason he is great.

Manning an Harrison came aroun about the same time an they both made each other betta. an Steve Young had a long 15 year Career which is not short an im not blamin him for havin better receivers. an Vinny had many great years. Just because he didnt mak the Pro bowl evry year doesnt mean u didnt hav a grate year wen u dunt make it. Ur actin like Vinnys as good as lik *beep*in Jeff George or som other *beep*in bum lik that. Steve Young iz grate an he deserved his HOF induction an wen Vinny retires he shuld an in my opinion will make the HOF.

#11 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:29 PM

how can u say that about jerry rice, it's all whats ifs. i bet akili smith could have been good if he had jerry rice, but like testeverde, he did not have jerry rice and he will not be in the hall of fame.

dont get me wrong, i love vinnie, but some i think there is a theme of people just blindly talking about jets players like gods. im just as big a jets fan as the next guy, but lets get real here.

#12 User is offline   SMC Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:What life has to offer.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:48 PM

CMart, with all do respect, your argument does not contain one ounce of rational thought.

Just look at the stats, please. Steve Young had seven seasons better than Vinny's in 1998.

By the way, Jeff George has a better career QB rating, completion %, completion average, and TD to INT ratio than Vinny.
<!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>SCORING MORE THAN YOUR OPPONENTS WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#13 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (Cmart28Abe94 @ May 14 2005, 08:13 PM)
is Vinny Testeverde worthy of the hall of fame???

absolutely not!

#14 User is offline   TheUltimate Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Cmart28Abe94 @ May 14 2005, 09:32 PM)

Manning an Harrison came aroun about the same time an they both made each other betta.  an Steve Young had a long 15 year Career which is not short an im not blamin him for havin better receivers.  an Vinny had many great years.  Just because he didnt mak the Pro bowl evry year doesnt mean u didnt hav a grate year wen u dunt make it.  Ur actin like Vinnys as good as lik *beep*in Jeff George or som other *beep*in bum lik that.  Steve Young iz grate an he deserved his HOF induction an wen Vinny retires he shuld an in my opinion will make the HOF.

U gotta back your facts up, tell me Vinny's great years? He had that great year in 98 for the Jets, and I think he had 1 other good year wheir he threw 35 td's but also threw 20 picks, every other year is average at best, and some of those years you have to wonder how Testaverde wasn't benched.
"Straight Cash Homey"

User Posted Image

#15 User is offline   bobzero11 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:21 AM

lets look at this a bit more logically...
the selection process does not favor vinny... he really only has one statistic that makes him stand out and that is his total yards, which can be said can happen for anyone who plays 18 or so years and is pretty much the starter all those years... and on crappy teams who are behind a lot and have to throw the ball
http://www.profootba...tionprocess.jsp
FAQ about the Hall's selection process

Charged with the vital task of continuing to be sure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced is the Pro Football Hall of Fame's 39-man Board of Selectors.

The Board consists of one media representative from each pro football city with two from New York, inasmuch as that city has two teams in the National Football League. A 33rd member is a representative of the Pro Football Writers of America and there are six at-large delegates.

With the exception of the PFWA representative who is appointed for a two-year term, all appointments are of the open-end variety and can be terminated only by retirement or resignation, as long as the member continues to attend meetings regularly.

The Board of Selectors meets annually at the time of the Super Bowl to elect new members. There is no set number for any class of enshrinees but, the Board's current ground rules do stipulate that between three and six new members will be selected each year. The 1973 and 1976 classes of three were the smallest ever named.

Every candidate is carefully scrutinized and must receive at least 80 percent approval of the Board at the annual meeting before he can be elected. A scale of negative votes for elimination that will vary depending on the number of Selectors in attendance is used.

When the Selectors meet in Detroit, Michigan next February to name the Class of 2006, they will have before them a roster of 15 final candidates, along with detailed biographies on each. To assure that older players will be considered along with the younger breed, the Seniors Committee - made up of nine veteran members of the overall Selection Committee - have named two nominees from the pre-1981 era to be included on the final list.

The other finalists will be the survivors from a preliminary list of candidates that the Board will have screened by mail ballot. That original list will have been in part provided by the fans themselves.

Any fan may nominate any qualified person who has been connected with pro football in any capacity simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. For example, a candidate for the 2006 class must have concluded his career not later than the 2000 season.

For a non-player, there is no mandatory retirement period, but a coach must be retired before he may be considered. Every nomination received will be processed and forwarded to the Board of Selectors.

It is important to emphasize that the Hall of Fame itself has no say whatsoever as to who is or is not elected to membership. The only function of the staff is to process the nominations as they arrive and to coordinate the annual meeting.

FYI - Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath of the New York Jets was the first quarterback in pro football history to throw for 4,000 yards in a season when he accumulated 4,007 yards in 1967.

Now look at the modern day qb's and try to go compare vinny's stats to them...

Modern Era: Quarterbacks (21)
George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975
Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983
Len Dawson 1957-1975
John Elway 1983-1998
Dan Fouts 1973-1987
Otto Graham 1946-1955
Bob Griese 1967-1980
Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974
Jim Kelly 1986-1996
Bobby Layne 1948-1962 Dan Marino 1983-1999
Joe Montana 1979-1994
Joe Namath 1965-1977
Bart Starr 1956-1971
Roger Staubach 1969-1979
Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978
Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964
Johnny Unitas 1956-1973
Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960
Bob Waterfield 1945-1952
Steve Young 1985-1999

There is a lot that can be said about this topic, but bottom line is it is going to come down to the voters... and honestly i do not think vinny has the reputation or stats to get in, it may be a product of the systems, but he is just not elite enough... another thing that may hurt him is his nomad-like career, inconsistency, and a number of other things i dare not get into because i love the guy... bottom line is i doubt he will break in... the hall of fame is very elite and unfortunately vinny does not look like he will make it...

also cmart28abe94 i feel ya on the whole "no one can tel lme what do and i'm the man" nonsense... and you got some good things to say, but it is difficult and mind numbing to read your style of speech... i honestly dont know what you want to do with your life, but if you want to be any kind of professinal now would be a good time to practice typing and in turn speaking and representing yourself better... just bring the grammar up a notch or two, is it really that hard to say should instead of shuld? just add the o here or an "er" there instead of betta... better... i can imagine you dont care all that much about what people say, but you do represent other jets fans and i would hate for one of our representatives to bring down the opinion of other jets fans... but hey, in the end you are you and do what you gotta do playa, be happy, but dont forget you do belong to this group and therefore represent us, so it would be wrong for you to do it improperly
IPB Image<<<Don't know how to update this thing...

#16 User is offline   bobzero11 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:26 AM

and for people who like stats... and seeing as everyone else is to lazy to look them up here goes...

http://www.nfl.com/p...playerpage/1007
PASSING
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
1987 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6 4 165 71 43.0 1081 6.55 40 5 6 18/140 21 1 60.2
1988 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 15 15 466 222 47.6 3240 6.95 59 13 35 33/292 57 4 48.8
1989 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 14 480 258 53.8 3133 6.53 78 20 22 38/294 41 5 68.9
1990 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 13 365 203 55.6 2818 7.72 89 17 18 38/330 36 7 75.6
1991 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13 12 326 166 50.9 1994 6.12 87 8 15 35/234 21 2 59.0
1992 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 14 358 206 57.5 2554 7.13 81 14 16 35/259 37 5 74.2
1993 Cleveland Browns 10 6 230 130 56.5 1797 7.81 62 14 9 17/101 25 8 85.7
1994 Cleveland Browns 14 13 376 207 55.1 2575 6.85 81 16 18 12/83 33 7 70.7
1995 Cleveland Browns 13 12 392 241 61.5 2883 7.35 70 17 10 17/87 42 4 87.8
1996 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 549 325 59.2 4177 7.61 86 33 19 34/270 59 10 88.7
1997 Baltimore Ravens 13 13 470 271 57.7 2971 6.32 54 18 15 20/129 32 6 75.9
1998 New York Jets 14 13 421 259 61.5 3256 7.73 82 29 7 19/140 42 6 101.6
1999 New York Jets 1 1 15 10 66.7 96 6.40 27 1 1 0/0 1 0 78.8
2000 New York Jets 16 16 590 328 55.6 3732 6.33 63 21 25 13/71 47 7 69.0
2001 New York Jets 16 16 441 260 59.0 2752 6.24 40 15 14 18/122 38 1 75.3
2002 New York Jets 5 4 83 54 65.1 499 6.01 35 3 3 9/62 4 0 78.3
2003 New York Jets 7 7 198 123 62.1 1385 6.99 61 7 2 6/48 18 2 90.6
2004 Dallas Cowboys 16 15 495 297 60.0 3532 7.14 53 17 20 34/182 47 4 76.4
TOTAL 217 204 6420 3631 56.6 44475 6.93 89 268 255 396/2844 601 79 75.4

RUSHING
Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD
1987 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6 4 13 50 3.8 17 1 0 0
1988 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 15 15 28 138 4.9 24 1 1 0
1989 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 14 25 139 5.6 16 0 0 0
1990 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 13 38 280 7.4 48 1 4 0
1991 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13 12 32 101 3.2 19 0 0 0
1992 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 14 36 197 5.5 18 2 0 11
1993 Cleveland Browns 10 6 18 74 4.1 14 0 0 5
1994 Cleveland Browns 14 13 21 37 1.8 12 2 0 5
1995 Cleveland Browns 13 12 18 62 3.4 14 2 0 7
1996 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 34 188 5.5 22 2 1 13
1997 Baltimore Ravens 13 13 34 138 4.1 16 0 0 12
1998 New York Jets 14 13 24 104 4.3 25 1 1 8
1999 New York Jets 1 1 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0
2000 New York Jets 16 16 25 32 1.3 15 0 0 3
2001 New York Jets 16 16 31 25 0.8 12 0 0 3
2002 New York Jets 5 4 2 23 11.5 24 0 1 1
2003 New York Jets 7 7 6 17 2.8 13 0 0 1
2004 Dallas Cowboys 16 15 21 38 1.8 10 1 0 2
TOTAL 217 204 406 1643 4.0 48 13 8 71

http://www.allstarz....young/stats.htm
Passing
YEAR TEAM G/S ATT COMP PCT YDS TD INT RATING
1985 Bucs 5/5 72 138 52.2 935 3 8 56.9
1986 Bucs 14/14 195 363 53.7 2282 8 13 65.5
1987 49ers 8/3 37 69 53.6 570 10 0 120.8
1988 49ers 11/3 54 101 53.5 680 3 3 72.2
1989 49ers 10/3 64 92 69.6 1001 8 3 120.8
1990 49ers 6/1 38 62 61.3 427 2 0 92.6
1991 49ers 11/10 180 279 64.5 2517 17 8 101.8
1992 49ers 16/16 268 402 66.7 3465 25 7 107.0
1993 49ers 16/16 314 462 68.0 4023 29 16 101.5
1994 49ers 16/16 324 461 70.3 3969 35 10 112.8
1995 49ers 11/11 299 447 66.9 3200 20 11 92.3
1996 49ers 12/12 214 316 67.7 2410 14 6 97.2
1997 49ers 15/15 241 356 67.7 3029 19 6 104.7
1998 49ers 15/15 322 517 62.3 4170 36 12 101.1
1999 49ers 3/3 45 84 53.6 446 3 3 60.9
Totals 169/143 2667 4149 64.3 33124 232 107 96.8

Rushing
YEAR TEAM G/S ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
1985 Bucs 5/5 40 233 5.8 20 1
1986 Bucs 14/14 74 425 5.7 31 5
1987 49ers 8/3 26 190 7.3 29t 1
1988 49ers 11/3 27 184 6.8 49t 1
1989 49ers 10/3 38 126 3.3 22 2
1990 49ers 6/1 15 159 10.6 31 0
1991 49ers 11/10 66 415 6.3 21 4
1992 49ers 16/16 76 537 7.1 39t 4
1993 49ers 16/16 69 407 5.9 35 2
1994 49ers 16/16 58 293 5.1 27 7
1995 49ers 11/11 50 250 5.0 29 3
1996 49ers 12/12 52 310 6.0 33 4
1997 49ers 15/15 50 199 4.0 13 3
1998 49ers 15/15 70 454 6.5 24 6
1999 49ers 3/3 11 57 5.2 14 0
Totals 169/143 722 4239 5.9 49t 43
IPB Image<<<Don't know how to update this thing...

#17 Guest_Cmart28Abe94_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (bobzero11 @ May 15 2005, 02:56 AM)
lets look at this a bit more logically...
the selection process does not favor vinny... he really only has one statistic that makes him stand out and that is his total yards, which can be said can happen for anyone who plays 18 or so years and is pretty much the starter all those years... and on crappy teams who are behind a lot and have to throw the ball
http://www.profootba...tionprocess.jsp
FAQ about the Hall's selection process

Charged with the vital task of continuing to be sure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced is the Pro Football Hall of Fame's 39-man Board of Selectors.

The Board consists of one media representative from each pro football city with two from New York, inasmuch as that city has two teams in the National Football League. A 33rd member is a representative of the Pro Football Writers of America and there are six at-large delegates.

With the exception of the PFWA representative who is appointed for a two-year term, all appointments are of the open-end variety and can be terminated only by retirement or resignation, as long as the member continues to attend meetings regularly.

The Board of Selectors meets annually at the time of the Super Bowl to elect new members. There is no set number for any class of enshrinees but, the Board's current ground rules do stipulate that between three and six new members will be selected each year. The 1973 and 1976 classes of three were the smallest ever named.

Every candidate is carefully scrutinized and must receive at least 80 percent approval of the Board at the annual meeting before he can be elected. A scale of negative votes for elimination that will vary depending on the number of Selectors in attendance is used.

When the Selectors meet in Detroit, Michigan next February to name the Class of 2006, they will have before them a roster of 15 final candidates, along with detailed biographies on each. To assure that older players will be considered along with the younger breed, the Seniors Committee - made up of nine veteran members of the overall Selection Committee - have named two nominees from the pre-1981 era to be included on the final list.

The other finalists will be the survivors from a preliminary list of candidates that the Board will have screened by mail ballot. That original list will have been in part provided by the fans themselves.

Any fan may nominate any qualified person who has been connected with pro football in any capacity simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. For example, a candidate for the 2006 class must have concluded his career not later than the 2000 season.

For a non-player, there is no mandatory retirement period, but a coach must be retired before he may be considered. Every nomination received will be processed and forwarded to the Board of Selectors.

It is important to emphasize that the Hall of Fame itself has no say whatsoever as to who is or is not elected to membership. The only function of the staff is to process the nominations as they arrive and to coordinate the annual meeting.

FYI - Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath of the New York Jets was the first quarterback in pro football history to throw for 4,000 yards in a season when he accumulated 4,007 yards in 1967.

Now look at the modern day qb's and try to go compare vinny's stats to them...

Modern Era: Quarterbacks (21)
George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975
Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983
Len Dawson 1957-1975
John Elway 1983-1998
Dan Fouts 1973-1987
Otto Graham 1946-1955
Bob Griese 1967-1980
Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974
Jim Kelly 1986-1996
Bobby Layne 1948-1962  Dan Marino 1983-1999
Joe Montana 1979-1994
Joe Namath 1965-1977
Bart Starr 1956-1971
Roger Staubach 1969-1979
Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978
Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964
Johnny Unitas 1956-1973
Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960
Bob Waterfield 1945-1952
Steve Young 1985-1999

There is a lot that can be said about this topic, but bottom line is it is going to come down to the voters... and honestly i do not think vinny has the reputation or stats to get in, it may be a product of the systems, but he is just not elite enough... another thing that may hurt him is his nomad-like career, inconsistency, and a number of other things i dare not get into because i love the guy... bottom line is i doubt he will break in... the hall of fame is very elite and unfortunately vinny does not look like he will make it...

also cmart28abe94 i feel ya on the whole "no one can tel lme what do and i'm the man" nonsense... and you got some good things to say, but it is difficult and mind numbing to read your style of speech... i honestly dont know what you want to do with your life, but if you want to be any kind of professinal now would be a good time to practice typing and in turn speaking and representing yourself better... just bring the grammar up a notch or two, is it really that hard to say should instead of shuld? just add the o here or an "er" there instead of betta... better... i can imagine you dont care all that much about what people say, but you do represent other jets fans and i would hate for one of our representatives to bring down the opinion of other jets fans... but hey, in the end you are you and do what you gotta do playa, be happy, but dont forget you do belong to this group and therefore represent us, so it would be wrong for you to do it improperly

u no wut GO *beep* URSELF. U not bakin dat shit up wit nuttin u say he wasnt a good QB jus cuz of his ratin. all QB's hav their strengths. theres guys lik young montana an pennington in this day that throw for good percentage passin. Then u got Vinny Marino an Culpepper who hav their strengths in TD passes an yards an shit lik dat. an ill name vinnys grate years
1995- he did good for only playin 13 games
2001- he still got his team to the playoffs
2004 was decent but he threw for a lot of yards

Interceptions was his only problem. Evry QB has 1 problem. Noones perfect. Vinny kuld of had more other grate years but they wer cut short cuz of injury

#18 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:53 AM

There is no way Vinny goes to the Hall end of story

#19 User is offline   JAJets51 Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:34 AM

If he goes to the Hall of Fame then the sport should be stopped. There is no reason for him to go!!

#20 User is offline   smallguy Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:35 AM

Nah I don't think he will make it.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked