NYJetsFan.com Forums: Beckham - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (27 July 2014 - 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:49 PM) WOO
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Beckham Comes to the US

#1 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• MLB:

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

http://sports.yahoo....uters&type=lgns

MADRID (Reuters) - Former England captain David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal for MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy, he told Reuters on Thursday.

"This week Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract for a further two seasons," said Beckham.

ADVERTISEMENT

"After discussing several options with my family and my advisors to either stay here in Madrid or join other major British and European teams I have decided to join LA Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.

"I would like to thank supporters and the people of Madrid who have made my family and I so welcome in my time here making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

"I have enjoyed my time here enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me an opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans."

Real Madrid confirmed that Beckham would not renew his contract with the club.

"After a meeting this morning at the Bernabeu between the club and David Beckham's agents both parties decided that David would not extend his present contract with the club which ends on June 30, 2007," Real said on their Web site (www.realmadrid.com).

The 31-year-old, who joined Real from Manchester United in June 2003, is the most famous player to sign up for Major League Soccer since it began in 1996.

He is also the biggest name player to move to club soccer in the U.S. since the likes of Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff played in the long-defunct North American Soccer League (NASL) in the 1970s and early eighties.

HUGE DEAL

His deal is reported to be one of the biggest in global sport with Beckham set to earn more than $250 million WTF.gif over the duration of his contract.

LA Galaxy had made public their interest in Beckham who runs a football academy that shares its home with the team and who has close links to the Anschutz Entertainment Group who own the club.

The news ends months of speculation about the future of the midfielder whose contract with Real expires at the end of the season.

Having been first choice in the Real Madrid starting lineup since he moved to Spain, Beckham lost his place following the arrival of Italian coach Fabio Capello.

He has only started five of Real's 16 league games this season and was known to be frustrated with his lack of opportunities in the first team.

The former Manchester United player said he was now inspired by the challenge of cracking the American soccer market.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

But he insisted he would be giving his all for Real Madrid until the end of the season to try and win the major trophy that has eluded him since he joined the club in 2003.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100 percent to my coach, team mates and fans and I believe Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve."

#2 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

I dont know much about soccer, but to me it's like backpeddling as far advancement and I've always thought the currency was higher in France, why couldn't he go there?

#3 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Beckham could have probably still gone to the Premiership. Him going to the United States is more or less going to be just for publicity. It'll be great for the league as far as interest as growth is concerned though.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

His deal is reported to be one of the biggest in global sport with Beckham set to earn more than $250 million over the duration of his contract following the removal of the salary cap in the MLS. Beckham will earn approximately one million dollars a week.

A mil a week???? crazy.gif
MLS will be filing bankrupty sooner than they think.

#5 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (blk_orion @ Jan 11 2007, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A mil a week???? crazy.gif
MLS will be filing bankrupty sooner than they think.

I swear to God, I bought season tix for the Red Bulls. So if the game against the Galaxy is before Becks arrives, I'll flip a shit like none other.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (JetsOhFive @ Jan 11 2007, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beckham could have probably still gone to the Premiership. Him going to the United States is more or less going to be just for publicity. It'll be great for the league as far as interest as growth is concerned though.

iagree.gif With his talent he should find it easy in America but it is a good publicity move for the game in America and could attract other star talent to the MLS - apparently the New York Red Bulls are after Ronaldo now.

For Beckham's international career it's a bad move but when you're earning five times more than the rest of the Galaxy squad combined, not playing for your country again doesn't seem too much of a sacrifice.

#7 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Smedsthejet @ Jan 12 2007, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
iagree.gif With his talent he should find it easy in America but it is a good publicity move for the game in America and could attract other star talent to the MLS - apparently the New York Red Bulls are after Ronaldo now.

For Beckham's international career it's a bad move but when you're earning five times more than the rest of the Galaxy squad combined, not playing for your country again doesn't seem too much of a sacrifice.

Well your new coach didn't want him for England anymore so he's really not missing anything there. As for Ronaldo, I heard he may go to Milan or a Saudi Arabian team (the one that Figo is with) but if he is to come to America and play for the Red Bulls, his talent will probably do more from an "on the pitch" stand point than Beckham will. Becks will most certainly help more from a glamour and off pitch standpoint though.

On a note, since Beckham signed, the Galaxy has sold upwards of 2500 season tickets.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (JetsOhFive @ Jan 13 2007, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well your new coach didn't want him for England anymore so he's really not missing anything there. As for Ronaldo, I heard he may go to Milan or a Saudi Arabian team (the one that Figo is with) but if he is to come to America and play for the Red Bulls, his talent will probably do more from an "on the pitch" stand point than Beckham will. Becks will most certainly help more from a glamour and off pitch standpoint though.

On a note, since Beckham signed, the Galaxy has sold upwards of 2500 season tickets.

Our new coach will want him back soon though as his replacement - Stewart Downing - isn't anywhere near as good and so far in the qualifiers for the European Championships we have sucked without him. In the World Cup, despite playing poorly, he played a significant part in most of England's goals.

#9 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (Smedsthejet @ Jan 13 2007, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our new coach will want him back soon though as his replacement - Stewart Downing - isn't anywhere near as good and so far in the qualifiers for the European Championships we have sucked without him. In the World Cup, despite playing poorly, he played a significant part in most of England's goals.

I wanna see Beckham next summer in Euro. I do because he is one of my favorite players. And yes he was a major part of a few of Englands goals last summer (also, that goal against Paraguay shouldn't have been an own goal). But the reality is, with him out there, it's basically like playing after someone got a red card. He doesn't really have the skills to make anything happen at a national level anymore, he was only effective from set pieces in the World Cup and its surprising to me that you guys cant find another player in England who can play the wing. But Smedsy I'll take your word for it, you're closer than I am to the England national team than I am, it's just shocking that Downing cant out do Becks on the pitch.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (JetsOhFive @ Jan 14 2007, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanna see Beckham next summer in Euro. I do because he is one of my favorite players. And yes he was a major part of a few of Englands goals last summer (also, that goal against Paraguay shouldn't have been an own goal). But the reality is, with him out there, it's basically like playing after someone got a red card. He doesn't really have the skills to make anything happen at a national level anymore, he was only effective from set pieces in the World Cup and its surprising to me that you guys cant find another player in England who can play the wing. But Smedsy I'll take your word for it, you're closer than I am to the England national team than I am, it's just shocking that Downing cant out do Becks on the pitch.

The main reason England have struggled to find a replacement and will struggle to fill holes at other positions in the future is the amount of foreign players playing in the Premiership who take the positions of English youngsters who just sit on the bench and aren't allowed to progress.
The England Under 21 side has seen few players graduate to the senior side in recent times and even then they are only fringe players and hardly see any playing time at all.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users