NYJetsFan.com Forums: Leon The Next Westbrook? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

@DWAZ73 : One other thing: Idzik now has landed arguably No. 1 QB, RB and WR in free agency this offseason despite deliberate approach. #Jets
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 02:40 PM) Snell
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:41 PM) The title race is real
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 02:42 PM) Jordan...what number was he? it was 30sometihng
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 02:43 PM) tanaka had a great game today. gave up 2 hits due to bunts. 10K
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 02:48 PM) Jordan was #34 with the Jets.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:03 PM) Tanaka is looking like a stud
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:04 PM) Jets added Vick, Chris Johnson, and Eric Decker to the offense.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:04 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:04 PM) And this draft is loaded at the offensive skill positions
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:04 PM) Hopefully we can get anohter starting WR and starting TE in the draft
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:05 PM) Our offense could be much better than last year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:05 PM) can't get much worse than what it's been the last 2 years
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:22 PM) Very cool
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:24 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:32 PM) still need another WR
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:33 PM) so i bet powell barely gets any touches this year and goodson gets cut
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:34 PM) Goodson is as good as gone.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:34 PM) With all his legal issues and coming off injury he is done. Possibly even in the NFL
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:39 PM) Powell is average anyways.
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 03:39 PM) @ProFootballTalk 5m

Per source, Chris Johnson's two-year deal has a base value of $8 million, with another $1 million available in incentives based on yardage.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:40 PM) He does a lot of things well, but isn't talented enough. Johnson has breakaway ability still and Ivory is man beast running the football
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) We will get another WR in the draft. Even in round 2 you can get a starting WR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:09 PM) I am still standing by my CB in the first round and WR in the second prediction
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:19 PM) The title race is bale
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:34 PM) Sidney rice coming in for a visit
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:49 PM) I think the Jets are getting themselves ready to draft best player available
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:49 PM) Last year they stuck to their board
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:27 PM) if they sign him I think that means they look to take a CB round 1
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:32 PM) “@AdamSchefter: RB Chris Johnson's 2-year deal with Jets has a team option in it for year two. Jets have option to pick up year two at $4M in February 2015.”
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:51 PM) @AlbertBreer 2m
Sidney Rice has agreed to terms with the Seahawks on a one-year deal, per source.
Expand
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:55 PM) There is really only 2 CBs worth taking at 18
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:56 PM) I rather get a offensive playmaker
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:58 PM) LaMont Jordan was 34
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:59 PM) liar
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) He wore #34 when he played for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) I should know I met him at an event in his last year with the JETS before he went to Oakland
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) GFYS 0099 you shit talker
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:06 PM) http://www.nydailyne...entry-1.1758342
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:06 PM) there's no reason we can't have someone off this site on that list too
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:08 PM) Rice resigned with Seattle
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:08 PM) did you scare him into going to Oakland?
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 08:18 PM) unfortunately those sites are too much bigger than our
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:51 PM) WOOOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:01 PM) I'm sure it's possible but this isn't a blog site as much as its a login and yell about the jets site
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:01 PM) WOO
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Leon The Next Westbrook?

#1 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

I cant really hate on the people who say that they would give up a 1st rounder for michael turner b/c the guy seems like the real deal but i cant help but think that somehow this would work out in the chargers favor like it usually does when they make trades...and he's only been a backup and hasnt shouldered a full work load in the nfl...will he break down after consecutive 20 carry games?

With that being said i think that we have the answer already in our own backfield.....Leon Washington...he has proved that he has the ability to run hard like Tiki and Make quick moves in open space like westbrook....his rookie season has been overshadow by some of the better rookies......comparing westbrooks, tiki, and leon's rookie rushing stats

tiki's rookie year- 511 rushing yards 299 rec yards 4 TD's
westbrooks rookie year- 193 rushing yards 86 rec yards 0 TD'
leon's rookie year- 650 rushing yard 250 recieving yards 4 TD's

he's also already had two 20+ carries games which all resulted in 100+ yard games and is averaging 4.3 yard per carry behind a young O-Line that is better suited for pass protection and put up these number in a running back by committee system....

he is built in that westbrook/barber type mold and all he needs is a pounder like a michael bush who should be there in the 2nd round to form a powerful 1-2 punch that any team in the league would have trouble stopping
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

#2 User is offline   kobeskool Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

we should have a 2 back system keep leon and either draft lynch or bush or maybe trade for turner but i dont think leon can do it all by himself

#3 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

I don't like the Westbrook comparison for one. Westbrook is a "do it all back" Leon isn't like that. Leon would hard ever line up on the LOS and actually be a factor. I compare leon to Warrick Dunn and that's a damn good comparison.

However with our RB situation we definately need a another back and perhaps Leon and Turner is too much considering Leon will get better used and will be more accustom to the pro's. Maybe drafting a back is the way to go. But I'll probably change my mind tomarrow anyways

#4 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

like i said before...najeh davenport. hes an unrestricted free agent and we certainly have the money. at 6'1 247 he is a bruiser that would be PERFECT for the two to play off each other. i like leon but i think we can all agree that he isnt going to be able to run through the tackles effectively unless he adds some bulk, but that would sacrifice his speed. davenport has showed he can play in the league when he was in green bay and if we can get him to sign, we'd shore up our backfield for years since he's only 27

#5 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Jan 16 2007, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like the Westbrook comparison for one. Westbrook is a "do it all back" Leon isn't like that. Leon would hard ever line up on the LOS and actually be a factor. I compare leon to Warrick Dunn and that's a damn good comparison.

However with our RB situation we definately need a another back and perhaps Leon and Turner is too much considering Leon will get better used and will be more accustom to the pro's. Maybe drafting a back is the way to go. But I'll probably change my mind tomarrow anyways

i actually like the dunn comparison alot also...never thought of it...but the jets didnt involve him the passing game nearly enough last season........only caught 25 passes but avg 10.8 ypc and thats damn good......... and we all seen he can be a factor as reciever in that miami game and when people say he is too small brian westbrook is barely 5' 6'', leon is 5'8''

i fully agree that we need a player like davenport to complement leon but the jets need to do their homework this time and make sure they dont get stuck with another kevin barlow................but davenport would be a solid pickup if we cant get bush in later rounds

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (ellisjersey92 @ Jan 15 2007, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
like i said before...najeh davenport. hes an unrestricted free agent and we certainly have the money. at 6'1 247 he is a bruiser that would be PERFECT for the two to play off each other. i like leon but i think we can all agree that he isnt going to be able to run through the tackles effectively unless he adds some bulk, but that would sacrifice his speed. davenport has showed he can play in the league when he was in green bay and if we can get him to sign, we'd shore up our backfield for years since he's only 27

i don't like davenport. he's overrated. gado was better then him. davenport is no better then houston
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:06 AM

Im with Jetsfan115 on this. Najeh Davenport is no better than Cedric Houston. Houston is younger and they already have him. I think they should stick with Leon and Houston. They are a couple of young cheap backs that complement each other well. If Barlow gets cut, which he should, I think they could draft a guy like Tony Hunt in maybe the 3rd round. I don't think they should draft one in the first or give up a first for turner. They have bigger needs.

#8 User is offline   ellisjersey92 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:18 AM

houston is worthless. hes a half back that runs like a fullback. a big body is good but not someone who cant hit the holes in time and with enough burst. davenports just an idea, but houston is no answer to our problem at HB.

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (ellisjersey92 @ Jan 16 2007, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
houston is worthless. hes a half back that runs like a fullback. a big body is good but not someone who cant hit the holes in time and with enough burst. davenports just an idea, but houston is no answer to our problem at HB.

turner is the answer with leon splitting carries
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Jetsfan115 @ Jan 16 2007, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
turner is the answer with leon splitting carries

Do you really want to have to probably give up a 1st rounder for a guy splitting carries with someone? I don't. With a 1st rounder I would prefer someone to come in and not have to split carries.
I know Bush and McAllister have split carries this year but there will come a time when one of them is weeded out for the other plus Bush was used heavily as a receiver (see his team leading catches).
I don't want a bit part player for a 1st round pick that's for sure.

#11 User is offline   jets0n Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MOD SS

• NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Smedsthejet @ Jan 16 2007, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you really want to have to probably give up a 1st rounder for a guy splitting carries with someone? I don't. With a 1st rounder I would prefer someone to come in and not have to split carries.
I know Bush and McAllister have split carries this year but there will come a time when one of them is weeded out for the other plus Bush was used heavily as a receiver (see his team leading catches).
I don't want a bit part player for a 1st round pick that's for sure.

Seriously. It's absolutely incredible stupid to give up a 1st round or even a 2nd round pick for a guy that isn't gonna carry the whole load.

#12 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

if we dont spend that 1st pick on the defense then something is seriously wrong

#13 User is offline   ManginiIsMyHero Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets Football, Mets Baseball, parties, gaming, and programming.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs @ Jan 16 2007, 04:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im with Jetsfan115 on this. Najeh Davenport is no better than Cedric Houston. Houston is younger and they already have him. I think they should stick with Leon and Houston. They are a couple of young cheap backs that complement each other well. If Barlow gets cut, which he should, I think they could draft a guy like Tony Hunt in maybe the 3rd round. I don't think they should draft one in the first or give up a first for turner. They have bigger needs.

And I'm with you Vandelay. Tony Hunt is a curtis Martin clone. You and I know because we watched him all year. He is humble, intense, and committed like Curtis was and he is not a flashy, make 'em miss back either. Hunt takes what he is given and is not afraid to take a hit to get those extra yards, and believe me he will get them. When it becomes availible I will post some vids of him at his best. He's the all time number 2 back in Penn State history which is rich in talented backs like Larry Johnson and Kijana Carter. Hunt is a Mangini kinda player, unselfish and a hard worker. He has the heart of a champion and when the JEts draft him you will all come to love him very quickly.

http://sports.espn.g...playerId=152310

here is his career stats.
I changed my name, but I dont remember what it was... if anyone remembers please let me know.

#14 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (HermIsMyHero @ Jan 16 2007, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I'm with you Vandelay. Tony Hunt is a curtis Martin clone. You and I know because we watched him all year. He is humble, intense, and committed like Curtis was and he is not a flashy, make 'em miss back either. Hunt takes what he is given and is not afraid to take a hit to get those extra yards, and believe me he will get them. When it becomes availible I will post some vids of him at his best. He's the all time number 2 back in Penn State history which is rich in talented backs like Larry Johnson and Kijana Carter. Hunt is a Mangini kinda player, unselfish and a hard worker. He has the heart of a champion and when the JEts draft him you will all come to love him very quickly.

http://sports.espn.g...playerId=152310

here is his career stats.
s

i love the hunt pick for all those reason and especially b/c he'll be their in those later rounds and provides a perfect change up to leon

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

That is why part of me doesnt want a new back, but another part wants one just incase he isnt a full time guy. But a big part of me wants to go out and get more offensive linemen to start, and revamp the right side of the line this year. with last year being the left side. Now we need a RT and a OG.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan115 @ Jan 16 2007, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i don't like davenport. he's overrated. gado was better then him. davenport is no better then houston

I also agree with 115. Houston= Davenport. Yea O.K maybe Davenport has alittle better of a skill set then Houston but their basically the same back. You don't release Houston and sign Davenport. Not disrespect to ellisjersey but I'm just not feeling it

#17 User is offline   BESTHANDS8381 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:19 PM

#1 Leon Washington can and HAS shouldered the load of carries

#2 hes run effectively up the middle all year why can he suddenly not do it since hes small and hes not playing during the offseason?

and Everyone doubted Warrick Dunn his whole career and i seriousl think some of that is goin on here. yes a brusing rb to COMPLIMENT Leon would be good but we dont need a 1st round rb or high profile guy.

Leon can and should be the starting RB with a big power back commin in to finish it off, worked for the Steelers why not us?

I think Leon proved himself even though he coulda gotten more carries and really show himself. I mean Honestly, the guy had a 100 yard rush game with 2 td's in one of his first starts and had a 100 yard receiving game.

This guy is the real deal and im tired of seeing him overlooked

Chad= Cheerleader

#18 User is offline   JetsMan4012 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:poker, rapping, football,baseball,basketball,video games

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 15 2007, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cant really hate on the people who say that they would give up a 1st rounder for michael turner b/c the guy seems like the real deal but i cant help but think that somehow this would work out in the chargers favor like it usually does when they make trades...and he's only been a backup and hasnt shouldered a full work load in the nfl...will he break down after consecutive 20 carry games?
With that being said i think that we have the answer already in our own backfield.....Leon Washington...he has proved that he has the ability to run hard like Tiki and Make quick moves in open space like westbrook....his rookie season has been overshadow by some of the better rookies......comparing westbrooks, tiki, and leon's rookie rushing stats
tiki's rookie year- 511 rushing yards 299 rec yards 4 TD's
westbrooks rookie year- 193 rushing yards 86 rec yards 0 TD'
leon's rookie year- 650 rushing yard 250 recieving yards 4 TD's

he's also already had two 20+ carries games which all resulted in 100+ yard games and is averaging 4.3 yard per carry behind a young O-Line that is better suited for pass protection and put up these number in a running back by committee system....

he is built in that westbrook/barber type mold and all he needs is a pounder like a michael bush who should be there in the 2nd round to form a powerful 1-2 punch that any team in the league would have trouble stopping

u beat me too it, i WAS THINKING THE SAME EXACT THING! i was actually thinking of starting the topic sometime, i mean their both small, their both good at recieving, their both very quick, and when they get their amount of deserved carriess they can be a threat in the run game too IMO.
"They think we spellin iverson when the beef all done cuz you be on I-Vs in the E-R son"- 40 Cal
" Winning isn't everything; its the only thing"

RIP Uncle Bob 5/12/06

#19 User is offline   mgjetman Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

It sure would be nice to have some big road graders up front that are the ones grabing their Lb's and opening big holes for our running backs. When your line is getting dominated you just feel helpless.

#20 User is offline   Swissle Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs @ Jan 16 2007, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Vandelay, are you a Penn Stater? Or do you just think Tony Hunt is legit?

On another note, I think we should just keep Leon and Cedric, cut Barlow, then draft a running back, like that dude from N.Illinois. Im telling you he's gonna be a monster...or yea, Tony Hunt, he's great.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users