NYJetsFan.com Forums: Draft A Te - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop another game vs Lions. Offense is bad
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:46 PM) TOUCHDOWN KANSAS CITY!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:48 PM) that was a fumble recovered by KC in the endzone ... TOUCHDOWN KANSAS CITY!!!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:48 PM) FIRE IDZIK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:50 PM) TOUCHDOWN KANSAS CITY!!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:51 PM) TY KC
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:52 PM) THAT IS A BIG ASS FB
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:53 PM) if shit had gone our way we'd be 3-1 right now
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:53 PM) what a bummer
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:53 PM) :ranting3:
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) INT TD KANSAS CITY!!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) we need to start doing that shit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) our D needs to start making shit like that happen
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) fuck that penalty
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) "going on your knees" stupidest shit ever
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) let them do the end zone celebrations
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:59 PM) thank you KC for slaughtering these overrated fucks
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:59 PM) Brady watching too much geno tape
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:00 PM) brady to the bench
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:00 PM) Oh god what has KC done! GARAPAPOLLO UNLEASHED
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:01 PM) I hope someone lays a Mo Lewis on Garapapolo
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:01 PM) square in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:02 PM) so brady can get his knee broken again
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) I'm scared
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) this kid might be legit
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) IT WASNT WORTH IT
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) cmon KC
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) wtf
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) f***
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) they let the rookie just drive it on them
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:05 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:05 PM) now KC needs a TD
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:06 PM) It wasn't worth it :(
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:15 PM) KC has some big ol boys
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:19 PM) TY KC for bringing these overrated fucks back down to earth
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 10:22 PM) I think 03 should be a mod. I think everyone should be.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 10:23 PM) What do we have to loose?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) our O better get their shit together starting this Sunday
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) we need to be on our A game when we play Denver and the CHEATriots
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) and Buffalo doesn't scare me
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) but these next 3 games better get it's shit together
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:01 PM) maybe Idzik knew that MEvis was not as good anymore
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:11 AM) Nah, fire idzik
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:12 AM) Milber is expected to play this week, how nice of him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:14 AM) The chargers are going to be tough
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 10:22 AM) well there is a silver lining to this season, tom brady sucks and so do the pats
Resize Shouts Area

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Draft A Te

#1 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

This year two highly accomplished TE's are entering the Draft Greg Olsen, and Zach Miller. Both have the skills to be elite on the next level and are comparable to Todd Heap. I see some mock drafts where neither of them is in the 1st rd and others i see miller in the later portion of the 1st rd. Either way i think one of these guys is an excellent pick for us at a position that is a glaring Weakness. Chris Baker is a decent Red Zone option but doesnt have the speed or recieving skills to be anything more than a number 2 tight end in most offenses. The other guys we have are basically there to fill the depth chart and occasionally block. TE is a position that Chad has never really had as an option and in the short passing game they are invaluable which is where Chad excels. I think if they are there in the 2nd round we should take them in heartbeat because both of these guys are elite.
You Dont Run On the JETS. Vilma Will KIll YOU

#2 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

I don't agree. I don't know what Chris Baker has ever done to show that he couldn't be a number one TE. They hardly ever throw him the ball, and when they do he always seems to do good things with it. I don't think he is great and I do agree that TE is a need, just not a glaring one. When you have as many holes as the Jets do, I don't think it's wise to take a TE in the first two rounds.

#3 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:09 AM

I'm with Vandelay on this one...I'm not against it...and if we can nab my boy Greg Olsen with our 2b pick...I'd be OK with that.

However, don't diss Baker...he has crazy skills...he's just heavily under-uutilized. I'm not afraid to say Baker has GREAT hands. He runs decent routes and is more athletic than given credit for. He doesn't have great speed or agility...no...but he does earn yards after the catch. Hell...we've seen him jump over people. Baker can be a # 1...a star? No...but he can be a good # 1 TE!
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Swissle Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:37 AM

who says Chris Baker can't be a star? i think if they threw him the ball more often that he definitely could have top-tier numbers.

#5 User is offline   DewayneDontSign Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 18 2007, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with Vandelay on this one...I'm not against it...and if we can nab my boy Greg Olsen with our 2b pick...I'd be OK with that.

However, don't diss Baker...he has crazy skills...he's just heavily under-uutilized. I'm not afraid to say Baker has GREAT hands. He runs decent routes and is more athletic than given credit for. He doesn't have great speed or agility...no...but he does earn yards after the catch. Hell...we've seen him jump over people. Baker can be a # 1...a star? No...but he can be a good # 1 TE!

I think Chris Baker has the best hands on the team

#6 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

chris baker is decent but i've never really seen anything special from him in the last 4 years that he's been on the team. In 4 years he has pretty much maximized his potential and what he is now is most likely the best he'll ever be which is solid but nothing special. Remember when Hemindinger was the OC he loved to go to TE's but still chris baker never took much advantage. But i do agree that this draft is full of TE's that can play like Clark Harris from rutgers who i think we should take 2nd day at least for depth, Olsen and Miller are in the elite group in this draft.

#7 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chris baker is decent but i've never really seen anything special from him in the last 4 years that he's been on the team. In 4 years he has pretty much maximized his potential and what he is now is most likely the best he'll ever be which is solid but nothing special. Remember when Hemindinger was the OC he loved to go to TE's but still chris baker never took much advantage. But i do agree that this draft is full of TE's that can play like Clark Harris from rutgers who i think we should take 2nd day at least for depth, Olsen and Miller are in the elite group in this draft.

Actually yeah he did take advantage...but he got injured and missed most of the season...it's hard to catch balls on the sidelines...
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

• THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Swissle @ Jan 18 2007, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who says Chris Baker can't be a star? i think if they threw him the ball more often that he definitely could have top-tier numbers.

iagree.gif
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Swissle @ Jan 18 2007, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly...like one of my boys said if Cotchery got the ball more he would light shit up and look what happened. I think the same way about Baker too. I mean, if he got the ball more, I think he'll do awesome things, but still, if he's into that same kind of role and doesn't produce (which I personally doubt), then the Jets know what they need to do.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 18 2007, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually yeah he did take advantage...but he got injured and missed most of the season...it's hard to catch balls on the sidelines...

He's been in the league 5 years now and is going into his 6th i would say he hasnt made the most of his opportunity...Unless your waiting out for year 10 for him to have a break-out year

#11 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You gotta remember that Baker DID play for Herm. Thats why you see guys like Cotchery and Rhodes breaking out now, something that they weren't able to do under the Herm regime b/c Herm played the guys who got paid, regardless of their performance. Now that we're able to see Cotchery and Rhodes break out un the Mangini era, what makes you think Baker won't be able to do the same given a good opportunity?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (HarlemHellfighterNYC @ Jan 18 2007, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You gotta remember that Baker DID play for Herm. Thats why you see guys like Cotchery and Rhodes breaking out now, something that they weren't able to do under the Herm regime b/c Herm played the guys who got paid, regardless of their performance. Now that we're able to see Cotchery and Rhodes break out un the Mangini era, what makes you think Baker won't be able to do the same given a good opportunity?

good point

#13 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

In the later rounds possibly, but in the first two rounds at least - no.

#14 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's been in the league 5 years now and is going into his 6th i would say he hasnt made the most of his opportunity...Unless your waiting out for year 10 for him to have a break-out year

It's not his fault they have just never thrown the ball to him. I like the Cotchery comparison. I always thought he was good, but he never developed under herm (surprise surprise). This year they threw him a lot of balls, and he had a breakout year. Last year, it looked like Baker was finally coming into his own, but then he broke his leg. This year he had a career high in receptions and had 5 catches in the wild card game. He may not be that fast or a flashy player, but he always gets the job done when given the opportunity. I think he could easily be a guy who catches 45-50 balls next year. That's not too bad for a TE. I agree that they could use another pass catching TE, just not in the second round.

#15 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not only was Herm the coach...but Anthony Becht was still here up until two year's ago. So in Baker's first year starting he looked to really break out...than got injured. In this year, he looked good every time we threw the ball to him...but we didn't target the TE much...plus Baker was kept in to block A LOT for our young and suspect offensive line. He set career records in recpetions and yards this year...and tied his career best in TD's.

I gurantee you...if the line improves to a point where it can hold it's own...we will see a lot more balls thrown to and caught by our hometown, Queens native Chris Baker!

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   NYJBlueHen Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

Baker is certainly a solid player and a quality starter, but if the Jets get a shot at Olsen or Miller in the 2nd round, particularly their 2nd round 2 pick, they need to consider it long and hard. It would add a completely new dimension to our offense as those two can do things that Baker can't. I'd love to see us run some double tight formations with both TE's being legit threats. Miller or Olsen would make that possible.

#17 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

we'd have a threat similar to daniel graham and ben watson except better...i actually like the comparison of graham to baker both slightly undersized but great hands and most effective in the redzone..... hopefully hurricane is right and that o-line holds up so baker can be another threat in the passing game

#18 User is offline   penningtonpays Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

i say we do draft another TE in round 3 or with or 2nd 2nd rounder, look at the patriots, they have a graham and watson. 2 recieving threat TEs.

IPB Image

#19 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (tipceey @ Jan 18 2007, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we'd have a threat similar to daniel graham and ben watson except better...i actually like the comparison of graham to baker both slightly undersized but great hands and most effective in the redzone..... hopefully hurricane is right and that o-line holds up so baker can be another threat in the passing game

Graham and Watson are a lot faster than Baker...

And I don't know how you call Baker undersized? He's 250 pounds...that's a hefty man?

Chris Cooley actually may be the best comparison to Baker...
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   tipceey Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (HurricaneJet32 @ Jan 18 2007, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graham and Watson are a lot faster than Baker...

And I don't know how you call Baker undersized? He's 250 pounds...that's a hefty man?

Chris Cooley actually may be the best comparison to Baker...

Chris cooley is alot more athletic and versatile than baker not to mention is an h-back which is a FB/TE. And baker being undersized at a TE comes more from his lack of height than his width. Graham is not nearly as fast as watson as we all saw watson chase down champ bailey, guys like baker and graham good never do that in their lifetime. Baker is 6'3'' 258lbs and graham is 6'3'' 257".

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users