NYJetsFan.com Forums: Defensive Formations - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

BEARS VS PACK MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBAWLLLL WOO
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:09 PM) and GMs. fire Izdik!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:13 PM) umm ok
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:13 PM) Idzik is the man that will get this team into the SB
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:14 PM) with no CBs or WRs yeah right
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:14 PM) WE HAVE WR'S WE HAVE ERIC DECKER
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:15 PM) 30 million in cap room and hasn't extended contracts for young players (like wilk) and hasn't gotten us dick for CBs or WRs. tried for rod-cro and failed, settled on patterson who was an ahole and got cut. cro is helping arizone win games and we got nothing
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:16 PM) 1 Wr isn't enough and decker isn't even a proven number 1. salas, nelson, kerly, and hakim are our other WRs. kerly is a better #3 slot guy and the rest are trash so far
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:16 PM) patience young grasshopper
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:16 PM) Idzik is the answer
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:18 PM) lol i'm no longer a young grasshopper. there is a reason why older people don't come here. ron quit the jets, dubb went AWOL, crazy horse, blue line, etc all gone. all the older members just got fed up. i've ben here for 10+ years. I used to be young and hopefull like you guys, now i'm old and jaded
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:21 PM) I'm 37 and I'm still here
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:21 PM) patience is key
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:21 PM) we are turning the corner
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:21 PM) Idzik is the answer
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:21 PM) Some are more patient i guess lol. in the meantime lets fire izdik and be patient with a better GM
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:22 PM) so was MT, so was herm, so was hackett, so was dinger, people always think current staff is the answer, it rarely is
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:23 PM) I see through izdik BS, the way he handles our players is bad. people aren't going to want to come here. he completly fucked up the DRC thing by refusing to call him back. giants did it right and made sure he didn't leave w/o a contract. we handed him to the giants. imagine the huge help he'd be with us
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:23 PM) take a chill pill and go drink some good bourbon and chill out
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:23 PM) DRC is overrated
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:23 PM) we are going to build this roster through the draft
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:24 PM) and when a player deserves a big contract Idzik will roll out the red carpet
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:24 PM) in FA
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:25 PM) and Wilk will not be going anywhere
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:25 PM) don't sweat it
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:25 PM) and we will be ok
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:25 PM) so he's not better then milner, walls, allem, wilson?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:26 PM) either way. i'll be back on in a bit. bout to leave work and head home to watch the game. I believe in GENO!!!! (not so much in izdik)
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:26 PM) IDZIK not IZDIK DAMNIT
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:30 PM) FIRE IZDICK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:41 PM) Just a little bit longer till GAMETIME!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:41 PM) J! E! T! S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!
santana Icon : (Today, 06:49 PM) WOO!
santana Icon : (Today, 06:49 PM) Seems like the fish are already having qb issues. POSTED BELOW
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 07:10 PM) Who is going to gaurd Calvin Johnson next week?
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 07:10 PM) That will be an adventure
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 07:13 PM) You realize I call him that purposely because I don't like him right?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 07:13 PM) Calvin is gonna own us
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:15 PM) Milber of course
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 07:16 PM) Pee milber?
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 07:17 PM) This really is a just win game considering we have Detroit, NE and denver coming up if we have any chance at the playoffs
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 07:17 PM) Must*
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 07:18 PM) NE is sucking though. Det scares me
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 07:18 PM) And chargers
RetireChrebet Icon : (Today, 07:20 PM) I suspect we go 3-3 in the division. Have one loss now so that 4 losses. We need to go 3-2 against the bears, lions, chargers, pats and broncos to go 10-6
XvNukemHighvX Icon : (Today, 07:27 PM) Sweeeeeet got off work in time
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Defensive Formations 3-4 vs. 4-3

#1 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• MLB:

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

I remember when we were talking about defensive scheme last here when mangini was first hired and we were alil upset about moving from 4-3 to 3-4 because we were losing a DE and the didn't have the personel to run it.
I used to coach a HS def. line and was thinking about coaching HS down here in fla. Running the 3-4 def. is complicated for the kids(I'm not comparing them to the pros, just saying). I think the 3-4 defense is far more dynamic then the 4-3. A good 3-4 team can play about several styles(read, slant, pinch, reduction,gap) with the same personel. The only disadvantage is finding that strong side drop LB or end who can play run and pass. From my experience most high school teams run a 4-4 or 4-3 because its easier to teach. I love to run the 4-3 or 4-4 box/mirror because each and every1 has some1 on the offensive side to be responsible for. Now to run the 4-4, you have to have speedy LB and athleticism DE etc...but it's doesn't mean that we have to match up or catch up with the other teams' offense. I've always thought that you should stop the run first and then react. Because if you try to match up or keep up, you won't have a chance to get control of the game. You have to eliminate the offense from doing what you can control and take it from there.

And whatever happened to the 5-2? Why aren't any team putting together a good core group to run the 4-4? Should the 4-4 even be taught in HS?
I didn't learn the 4-4 til I started playing semi-pro. Some say you gotta have good personel to run it but if the team's is athletic enough to run it then I say run it.
What are your thoughts?

#2 User is offline   VILMAmazing51 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

We ran the 4-4 in high school and it worked very well. It gave us lots of flexibility with blitz poackages because we could bring any combinationg of 4 linebackers while rushing the front 4 and still have 3 back. It was relatively easy to learn but I had to learn OLB and ILB and bounced back and forth based on situations so it became tougher. Another nice thing we did was have a 5-2 package against heavy running teams which also worked well. I would recommend the 4-4 for high school as I had a great experience with it.

FYI, we used a "bounce to the outside" strategy, the DE's would get inside leverage and bounce the play to the OLB's which in turn would either make the tackle or bounce to the CB"s.....so your corners better be able to hit!

FINALLY!!!! A REAL BIG BOY!!!

#3 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (VILMAmazing51 @ Jan 30 2007, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We ran the 4-4 in high school and it worked very well. It gave us lots of flexibility with blitz poackages because we could bring any combinationg of 4 linebackers while rushing the front 4 and still have 3 back. It was relatively easy to learn but I had to learn OLB and ILB and bounced back and forth based on situations so it became tougher. Another nice thing we did was have a 5-2 package against heavy running teams which also worked well. I would recommend the 4-4 for high school as I had a great experience with it.

FYI, we used a "bounce to the outside" strategy, the DE's would get inside leverage and bounce the play to the OLB's which in turn would either make the tackle or bounce to the CB"s.....so your corners better be able to hit!

I've always tell the wrs' and corners to join the track team, anyways the way I'm approaching it is to go back to basic and just focus on our def instead of worrying about other teams' offense. With the cover 2, We will utilize the team to have the opposing offense to worry about our def. Meaning that we WILL MASTER the formation and take away their running game and leave them with nothing to do but pass. The corners will be ready for the picks. I trust them this season coming up.

#4 User is offline   ganggreen_ewok Icon

• 06 M. I. P. Award
  • Icon
  • Interests:Strolling on shady streets, you know the usual

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (VILMAmazing51 @ Jan 30 2007, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We were 4-3 mainly because we didn't have a fast enough safety (me lol) to roam and back up the two corners who were pretty fast, one all-state kid in Dungy, and another track kid in Carey, but weren't very good corners. I should have played corner I had decent speed and beetr cover skills but our coach was an idiot. Thats the only reason why the probably didn't teach us 4-4

View Postganggreen_ewok, on 13 June 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

"And once again, the meow became a roar"

Posted Image

#5 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

My team runs a 4-3, but I know of alot of teams that run the 3-4, we call it the 5-2 though. But its basically the 3-4, since their would be 3 linemen down in the stance and 2 Ends standing up. We use the 4-4 and 5-2 to stop the run, if we have trouble doing it, but we usually try to stay with the 4-3, we havent had trouble stopping the run for the last 2 years. We had a dominate defense this year that kept us in games.
Good luck on coaching! I am thinking about coaching one day, if I dont make it through college football and stuff. My first goal is to play as much football as I can. But if I cant, then I want to stay around the game, I love it so much, cant imagin life without it.

I think that the 4-4 and 4-3 are better for highschool though. The 3-4 must be harder to run, I personally playing DE, like being in the stance more then standing up at OLB. Its just easier to come off the line, alot of my teammates agree with me, we played alot of different 3-4 teams, and when I played scout defense since I dont have a offensive postion really, I would play the OLB, or DE to get better.

Though I like the 3-4 more in the NFL, just because you arent relying as much on your front 4 to put the pressure, instead you have LBs coming at the QB, and with 4 plus the secondary you dont know whos coming and whos dropping back, so you have to react quick, because you know someone is coming. And with the NFL, you got people moving so fast, that its hard.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   R3dTornado Icon

• Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

We ran a 4-4, a 5-3, and a 3-5. Our 4-4 was pretty good, hated practicing against it, but I don't know if it was the scheme or the players we had for it, 3 all-state DT's and one all-state DE

#7 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for your inputs guys. Wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users