NYJetsFan.com Forums: Eric Barton Calls The Shots On D - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) unbelievable
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) Yeah
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) its decided city should be renamed to Aguero and friends
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) haha yeah zaba looks like a player who should of played 15 years ago when tackles like that were deemed good
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) jeez
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) mistakes by boateng and xabi
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) bayern exhausted from working with 10 men
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) aguero the long con
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) aguero isnt exhausted though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) OP as fuck
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) Pep will be fuming
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) no more fun practices for bayern
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) carrying team mates around and skipping
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) all eyes on tomorrow. Liverpool don't get a result and Rodgers seat is on fire
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) what
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) I thought I just read that liverpool is sticking with him
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:41 PM) they will, atleast until january... but if we do not get a result tomorrow, it'll go down hill even faster
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:41 PM) he won't survive the season if he doesnt figure it out
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:42 PM) moyes to liverpool confirmed!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) bayern two bad passes one bad tackle today punished by aguero
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) otherwise city looked rather crapola
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:47 PM) moyesy coaching in your favorite league now
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) yeah i saw that he was at real sociedad
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:51 PM) http://gfycat.com/MilkyMajesticDingo
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) also very casual
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) boca represent
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) http://gfycat.com/Of...ingAmazonparrot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) that is the most raul goal i have ever seen
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) What's our wish list for HC next year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) BILL LAZOR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) Why?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) he worked with chip kelly and vick on the eagles. and has a cool name
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:41 PM) Eh
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:37 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) The JETS really sucked a fat one last night
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:34 PM) Man the JETS are a 3 ring circus or American Horror Story: FREAK SHOW!!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) Jets starting Geno again.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) FIRE IDZIK,
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) I really hope the JEts completely clean house this offseason and get rid of everyone, it's time.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:54 AM) We need to keep getting embarrassed every week to ensure that. That is why I don't give a shit about getting destroyed, it makes the team look like more of a joke and forces Woody to make real changes
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) Like how do you get blown out by a team that didn't practice while you had 2 weeks to prepare?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) That kind of stuff may force Woody to make the big changes and fire everyone
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) John Idzik has handled the QB situation terribly. 2 times he pretty much handed the job to his draft pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:56 AM) Besides Sheldon Richardson, his drafts have been awful.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:57 AM) Maybe Woody will clean house and go all out for Jim Harbaugh, that probably won't happen though but it would be a franchise changer.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eric Barton Calls The Shots On D

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Post icon  Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

Barton lines New York Jets with biz, banter

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
Thursday November 27, 2008, 8:49 PM

Eric Barton of the Jets keeps it light off the field, but is all business when he nears a quarterback, as the St. Louis Rams' Marc Bulger found out earlier this season.

If there's a practical joke being played in the Jets' locker room, chances are linebacker Eric Barton's fingerprints are on it. The former Oakland Raiders bad boy, now in his fifth season with the Jets, loves life and his teammates.

The other day, sporting a mohawk haircut -- he plans to get it cut -- Barton led the razzing of veteran fullback Tony Richardson, who had a 14-yard run against the Titans, his longest since 2002.

During his interview, Barton exchanged one-liners with left guard Alan Faneca, whose locker stall is adjacent to his. Later, he posed for the cameras during practice.

Nose tackle Kris Jenkins, who was roommates with Barton at the University of Maryland, says that was just Barton's warm-up act. He declined to go into specifics about some of Barton's vintage performances because it would "incriminate" him.

"He's crazy," said safety Kerry Rhodes. "He's one of those guys who is going to lighten up the day. If it's a tough day, you can go to him for a laugh. You have to have guys like that on your team."

Barton, however, is also about his business and his business is football. A student of the game, he constantly amazes his coaches with his smarts and challenges even the scout-team guard to give him a better look at an opponent in practice.

The 10-year veteran is the brains behind the Jets' third-ranked run defense, which is allowing just 78 yards rushing per game. He calls all the defensive signals and has a team-leading 82 tackles, including a career-high 17 against the Patriots two weeks ago. He also has 1.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

"Things are clicking for us and that's all that's really important right now," said the 6-2, 245-pound Barton, a former outside linebacker who made a seamless transition inside when the Jets switched to a 3-4 defense three seasons ago. "I'm doing what they're asking me to do.

"I really don't look at it (as him flying under the radar). I just want to win and whatever I can do is what I'm going to do. No one really cares here about who's getting the accolades or the press. As long as we're getting the goal accomplished."

Last week, the Jets limited the Titans to just 45 yards rushing -- the fifth time they've held a team under 50 yards rushing this season -- and Barton was again in the middle of the fray with eight tackles.

"He's done a great job," coach Eric Mangini said. "What I like about Eric is things come very quickly to him."

Surprisingly, Barton and the defense hasn't appeared to miss hard-hitting inside linebacker David Harris, who was their leading tackler before undergoing groin surgery and missing the past four games. Harris' absence has resulted in Barton playing more on third down, not to mention getting used to a new partner inside in veteran David Bowens.

"When you look at Eric physically, you wouldn't think he plays in the NFL. He's small," Bowens said. "But he's one of the toughest guys I've been around. He'll hit you. He likes to blitz. He's good in coverage. He's the total package."

Barton, 31, says he has never been around teammates that he genuinely likes as much as he does this group. And he feels that with the addition of Jenkins, linebacker Calvin Pace and the stellar play of second-year cornerback Darrelle Revis, the Jets have the talent to go deep into the playoffs. He started on the Raiders' team that lost to Tampa Bay in Super Bowl XXXVII and it still haunts him.

This, though, is the final year of Barton's contract and it could be his last chance to make it back to the Super Bowl as a Jet.

"Of course, I would like to stay here," said Barton, who signed with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent after five seasons in Oakland. "I love the guys here. But it's a business, so who knows what's going to happen. We'll see. Right now, I'll just worry about Denver."

#2 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

"When you look at Eric physically, you wouldn't think he plays in the NFL. He's small," Bowens said. "But he's one of the toughest guys I've been around. He'll hit you. He likes to blitz. He's good in coverage. He's the total package."

I like that statement.
I honestly never expected for Barton to still be on the team with all the changes.He isnt a super star but he is a solid player that works hard.I just looked at his stats and not counting sacks he is on pace to have his best year as a a Jet.

Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
1999 OAK 16 22 20 2 0 3.0 0 0 0 0 0
2000 OAK 4 6 4 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
2001 OAK 16 38 29 9 0 0.0 1 0 0 0 0
2002 OAK 16 125 95 30 4 6.0 3 0 2 5 0
2003 OAK 16 132 98 34 6 0.5 1 0 0 0 0
2004 NYJ 16 107 77 30 3 2.5 1 0 1 7 0
2005 NYJ 4 21 13 8 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
2006 NYJ 16 101 73 28 1 4.5 1 0 0 0 0
2007 NYJ 16 73 47 26 2 2.0 0 0 1 1 0
2008 NYJ 11 80 62 18 2 1.5 1 1 0 0 0
Career 131 705 518 187 19 20.0 8 0 4 13 0

#3 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

I would like to see Barton get a extension. Hes a good player to have around, he knows the system, hes a great locker room guy. Hes a savvy vet, he should be given a extension. They should draft a ILB to groom into the eventual replacement, but we need Barton back till then.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

If we can find a stud then we should cut our losses with EB. I like EB a lot but IF and I mean IF we can find a stud ILB in this years draft then we should cut our ties.

#5 User is offline   NyJeTsFaNx93 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

the guy is a scumbag..... screwed me out of paying for customs I did for him... and when confronted called NFL security on me, they in turn left me alone when I told them I would file charges of " theft of services" .....

a long story with alot more detail.. but simply.. the guy is a POS

NOW ACCEPTING ORDERS!

www.halloffamecustoms.com

#6 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Formerly Leon#29 - 2008 ROY
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Jetsfan0099 @ Nov 27 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to see Barton get a extension. Hes a good player to have around, he knows the system, hes a great locker room guy. Hes a savvy vet, he should be given a extension. They should draft a ILB to groom into the eventual replacement, but we need Barton back till then.

I agree...Barton is a solid player. Keeping him would be the smart thing to do. One thing that also should be taken into consideration is that he has been here since Day 1 of the Mangini regime, so he understands Mangini's system very well...and it is showing on the field..

#7 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (NyJeTsFaNx93 @ Nov 27 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the guy is a scumbag..... screwed me out of paying for customs I did for him... and when confronted called NFL security on me, they in turn left me alone when I told them I would file charges of " theft of services" .....

a long story with alot more detail.. but simply.. the guy is a POS

"Number six: that god damn credit, dead it
You think a NFL player payin you back, shit forget it"

#8 User is offline   NyJeTsFaNx93 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (SecondHandJets @ Nov 28 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Number six: that god damn credit, dead it
You think a NFL player payin you back, shit forget it"

actually the dozen or so others have either paid me or followed through on their end of the deal... just him and one other burned me...

why should I forget it??? if you spent a good 10-12 man hours as well as some cash creating something that someone asked you to do and agreed on payment, wouldnt you be ticked??? its BECAUSE he is an NFL player that I should have gotten paid..
I will never cheer for him ever... the guy is a prick on and off the field.. no reason for some of the dirty hits he throws on QBs ..

NOW ACCEPTING ORDERS!

www.halloffamecustoms.com

#9 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (NyJeTsFaNx93 @ Nov 29 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually the dozen or so others have either paid me or followed through on their end of the deal... just him and one other burned me...

why should I forget it??? if you spent a good 10-12 man hours as well as some cash creating something that someone asked you to do and agreed on payment, wouldnt you be ticked??? its BECAUSE he is an NFL player that I should have gotten paid..
I will never cheer for him ever... the guy is a prick on and off the field.. no reason for some of the dirty hits he throws on QBs ..

I don't claim to have any direct deals w any pro athletes but I used to work in an electronics store that was frequented my a few current and past NFL players. These guys don't know the meaning of paying for something. It seems to me like an entitlement issue. I am only speaking of 4-5 guys but these guys all made millions of dollars. That is sad about Barton. As far as keeping him beyond this year, it would heavily depend on his asking price. A team can't shell out 20-60 million dollar deals to every starter. The math won't work out. With Jones, Faneca, Brick, Woody, Coles, Cotchery, Pace, Jenkins, Gholston, and Rhodes all have big deals and guys like Mangold, Revis, Leon in line for big paydays, role players are a must. Look at the Pats. They have maintained a very high level of play with 7-8 stars and 40 team players.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users