NYJetsFan.com Forums: Sticking With The Theme Defenses Win Championships - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (23 October 2014 - 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:23 AM) SILVA!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) Wait I mean
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) FIRE IDZICK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) What channel can I watch el clasico
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:06 AM) TEH CLASICO
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:39 AM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Today, 01:05 PM) Messi to Suarez to Neymar and goal
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) My nipples were so stiff
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) Isco the Spanish Shepard so tenacious gotta order that kit!
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sticking With The Theme Defenses Win Championships

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Post icon  Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:04 AM

You guys mean to tell me you would not want Rex Ryan here?.. that guy is a f*ckin animal.

It's all about defense anyways in the NFL. We have the Patriots and Bill Belichick in our division, we have Tony Soporano and company in our division. The Bills and trent Edwards could be a real pain.

Why not get Rex Ryan in here with his defensive mind. We need a guy like this.

Eric Boland thinks Rex Ryan just helped his case.

A lot.

Ryan's Baltimore defense simply bludgeoned Miami this afternoon in an impressive display of aggressiveness.

So I referenced the following Peter King story earlier this week and before heading to the SI Web site to dig it out, a reader posted the link in the comments section of my previous blog post. I cut a little bit here and there, but this is most of it, from the Dec. 22 issue of SI:

“TO REX RYAN, defensive football must be a game of deception played by 11 Mike Tysons. So it should come as no surprise that while preparing for the 2008 draft last winter, Ryan, the Ravens' defensive coordinator, became intrigued with a safety from Notre Dame named Tom Zbikowski. Ryan watched video of a pro boxing match between Zbikowski, a 214-pound heavyweight, and a pug named Robert Bell on an undercard at Madison Square Garden in June 2006. Thirty-five seconds into the fight Zbikowski threw a left hook to Bell's right cheek that his opponent never saw, then followed with a brutal overhand right. Down went Bell. First-round knockout.
‘As soon as I saw Zibby in the ring,’ Ryan recalled last week, ‘I said, 'We have to have him.' He just destroyed that guy! My kind of guy! We don't chase the pretty girl. We chase the passionate, mean s.o.b. who loves football.’

Later, King writes: “During a typical week, Ryan's staff meets for long hours and concocts strange schemes that opponents have never seen. In a 2005 game against Houston, David Carr had no idea what hit him when four blitzers—so close to each other that their shoulders almost touched—plowed through the right tackle--guard hole. No one else rushed. Carr got up looking as if he had been hit by a Smart Car. Who rushes four men from the same spot and leaves the other lanes empty? ‘Rex does a great job on the overload blitzes,’ says Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. ‘It's hard for an offense to adjust to something like that when you don't leave other spots on the field uncovered.’
Ryan, 46, learned from the master of pressure D—his dad, Buddy, who was all about mismatches and intimidation. Buddy Ryan brought the blitz-dominated 46 defense to the NFL as defensive coordinator of the Bears in the early '80s; cornerbacks were valued for their ability to blitz and play bump-and-run. ‘My dad was all about outnumbering the protection,’ Rex says. ‘If there was a six-man protection, he'd send seven. He had a Cover Zero philosophy.’
In Baltimore, Rex's creativity has included taking a page from the LeBeau zone-blitz book by dropping 345-pound tackle Haloti Ngata into a shallow zone and leaving the center to block no one, while a blitzer rushes through another gap. Often Ryan will mix zone and man coverage on the same play, using a Cover Two look deep while shadowing shallow receivers man-to-man.

And the money quote that would most likely appeal to any Jets fan, again from Kings’s story:

"Our system works," Rex says, "because on every play the offense is thinking, Here comes the blitz. And whether it is or not, the quarterback better have a clock in his head, because he's not going to have much time."

The Jets will interview Ryan at some point, maybe as early as this week, and I’m told Jets hierarchy watched this afternoon’s game closely. Ryan, naturally, won’t be able to bring Ed Reed and the rest of the Ravens defense with him to NY if he were to be hired, except maybe Ray Lewis, who is a free agent after the season.

One game, naturally, isn't reason to hire - or not hire - anyone, but philosophy is. And, it can't be stressed enough, this process is still just three interviews old. Enjoy Vikings/Eagles.

#2 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:09 AM

rex ryan sounds fantastic and all... but how much of that defense is driven by its own players structured by the GM?

I mean lets see. Marvin got a head coaching gig because he coached it. Nolan once again another head coaching gig because he coached it.

Now it seems that it is rex ryan's turn. Kinda spooky that defense is so good is pumps out head coaches.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#3 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

I sorry but im sick and tired of defensive minded...why do we need ANOTHER defensive minded HC? you act like we havent had one in a while when we r comming off Herm And Mangini, two Defensive minded HC's. look at how thats helped us, we need a change, a COMPLETE change, im all for great DC, but we need a balanced or an Offensive Minded HC cus the defensive guys havent been getting it done for us.

I want change, not the same go around, its time the Jets broke their losing patterns, not start all over again.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

Mangini and Herm were frauds. Rex is a real defensive minded kinda guy. His defensive play calling is bananas. Mangini only had 2 years as a DC and this was his first stint as a HC. Rex has been around the mill for along time. The guy can coach defense something fierce.

Herm was a ball-less inbred that only wished he knew defense. Mangini was too young in the game to know what a real defense was. Rex Ryan is the real deal. Defenses win championships bottom f*ckin line!

Have a look at whos in the playoffs. Pitt,Eagles,Titans,Chargers,Ravens,Minny. Whats the trend?.. they all have defense.

I'm not going to give up and say the hell with things because they haven't worked. It's the history of the NFL. Defense will always win. The Colts didn't get the ring until their defense showed up.

Anyways.. Rex is a beast bottm line and I would love to have him.

#5 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (santana @ Jan 5 2009, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rex ryan sounds fantastic and all... but how much of that defense is driven by its own players structured by the GM?

I mean lets see. Marvin got a head coaching gig because he coached it. Nolan once again another head coaching gig because he coached it.

Now it seems that it is rex ryan's turn. Kinda spooky that defense is so good is pumps out head coaches.

Lets not discredit him because his predecessors weren't any good. Nolan is a good coach and he'll have another opportunity in this league. The Niners were complete sh*t. He had good drafts but no Q.B. Everyone in the football world was shocked he got canned. Mike Nolan is a damn good coach who was on an awful team. Marvin Lewis is chump.

Anyways.. Rex Ryan is the one calling the plays and coaching one of the most exotic defenses known to man. It's his doing. Lets be real here, their team isn't filled with world beaters. Besides Ed Reed,Ray Lewis (over the hill),Haloti Nagta,Samari Rolle (washed up) Terrel Suggs who else do they have?

We have Kerry Rhodes,Darrelle Revis, Kris Jenkins,Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas. We have a bunch of staples just like they do. We are just lacking the coaching. Thats why we need double R.

All I'm saying is if he were to come here I'd be all over it.

#6 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

And in case you didn't read the article here are some nuggets.

We don't chase the pretty girl. We chase the passionate, mean s.o.b. who loves football.’

Who doesn't want this guy.. He's bascially saying.. f*ck the schoolboy type. He wants mean beasts who love football. This is my kinda guy.

“During a typical week, Ryan's staff meets for long hours and concocts strange schemes that opponents have never seen. In a 2005 game against Houston, David Carr had no idea what hit him when four blitzers—so close to each other that their shoulders almost touched—plowed through the right tackle--guard hole. No one else rushed. Carr got up looking as if he had been hit by a Smart Car. Who rushes four men from the same spot and leaves the other lanes empty?

Absolute beast!... how can you not be enticed by him?

Rex does a great job on the overload blitzes,’ says Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. ‘It's hard for an offense to adjust to something like that when you don't leave other spots on the field uncovered.’

Dick Lebeau. A HOF DC giving the guy love. Common Jets fans!

My dad was all about outnumbering the protection," Rex says. "If there was a six-man protection, he'd send seven. He had a Cover Zero philosophy." Buddy also taught sons Rex and Rob—the Raiders' defensive coordinator—to use their imagination to outsmart the offense. Rex's schemes seem as risky as Buddy's, but look closer. He never leaves the deep middle exposed.

Be honest.. it's starting to entice

"Our system works," Rex says, "because on every play the offense is thinking, Here comes the blitz. And whether it is or not, the quarterback better have a clock in his head, because he's not going to have much time."

Plus Rex was 7 years old when his dad was coaching that Jet Defense to SBIII so we know that there has to be a special place in his heart for the Green and White.

#7 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:57 AM

Ravens defensive boss Rex Ryan strongly indicated following Sunday's win over Miami that he wants to be a head coach in 2009.
"If a team wants to stop somebody, all you have to do is look at my track record," said Ryan, who's drawn interest from the Rams and Jets. "I'll get my time, and whoever gets me will get a guy who is a real football coach and not a pretender." Ryan cannot interview until Baltimore is out of the playoffs.

#8 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Jan 5 2009, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets not discredit him because his predecessors weren't any good. Nolan is a good coach and he'll have another opportunity in this league. The Niners were complete sh*t. He had good drafts but no Q.B. Everyone in the football world was shocked he got canned. Mike Nolan is a damn good coach who was on an awful team. Marvin Lewis is chump.

Anyways.. Rex Ryan is the one calling the plays and coaching one of the most exotic defenses known to man. It's his doing. Lets be real here, their team isn't filled with world beaters. Besides Ed Reed,Ray Lewis (over the hill),Haloti Nagta,Samari Rolle (washed up) Terrel Suggs who else do they have?

We have Kerry Rhodes,Darrelle Revis, Kris Jenkins,Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas. We have a bunch of staples just like they do. We are just lacking the coaching. Thats why we need double R.

All I'm saying is if he were to come here I'd be all over it.

sorry you cant compare those two rosters. i would side with the ravens every single time.
but i agree out of the three coaches to leave the ravens rex ryan seems the most promising. even though we know how nolan and marvin turned out.. there has to be high hopes for buddy ryans kid.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#9 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:10 AM

He has a chip on his shoulder. He was probably passed up because he wasn't ready and perhaps thats a good thing. More time more experience.

I love his attitude. We need a guy like this to instill an aggressive attitude. Players love playing for the guy.

Since we seem like we are going to hire a younger coach then I'm all for Rex. I wanted him years ago. He's been around football since he was 7 years old. His Dad was the inventor of the 46 defense. Dick Lebeau has the most respect for him.

Rex Ryan would just be an amazing hit here because we have the talent on D.

Not to mention his NT and 2nd and 3rd DB's are practice squad guys that he has made into football players. He has this effect on his guys on D. Imagine if his presence was felt through the whole team?.. So much upside. If we go young then I want Rex!

Also.. he would probably bring a couple of his minions with him. Bart Scott and Suggs are both F.A's.

You don't think Rex would make Gholston into a Q.B sacking machine?.. I've never been so sure about a coach like I am with Rex. Plus he's got ties with the Jets from childhood.

When you have a guy this good the defense will be stout. This also gives you room to groom Q.Bs because the defense will be stellar. You put Flacco on another team and he'd struggle. No question about it

MAKE IT HAPPEN WOODY!

#10 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

This is from Derrick Mason

"I think Rex would be a very good choice," Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason said. "I've had experience with a former defensive co-ordinator coming in and being a head coach, with Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher. Rex, he's in the mold of Jeff Fisher, and I think he can do a great job."

Rex Ryan quote

"It's good, but I don't pay a lot of attention right now to head-coaching jobs," Ryan said. "We're focused on winning but I feel confident and hopeful that I can get one of these jobs. If I don't fit [as head coach with a new team], then I'm ready to accept that. I've been called a players' coach before and I think that's a heck of a compliment. We respect each other here."

#11 User is offline   EnRiCH13 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:34 AM

ive been growing to the idea of hiring a guy like ryan
and reading some of those snippets im kind of getting real pumped up for him
his attitude is what i want in a head coach...he wants guys that play hard and with HEART
something we didnt see much of this year

IPB Image

#12 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Formerly Leon#29 - 2008 ROY
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Jan 5 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has a chip on his shoulder. He was probably passed up because he wasn't ready and perhaps thats a good thing. More time more experience.

I love his attitude. We need a guy like this to instill an aggressive attitude. Players love playing for the guy.

Since we seem like we are going to hire a younger coach then I'm all for Rex. I wanted him years ago. He's been around football since he was 7 years old. His Dad was the inventor of the 46 defense. Dick Lebeau has the most respect for him.

Rex Ryan would just be an amazing hit here because we have the talent on D.

Not to mention his NT and 2nd and 3rd DB's are practice squad guys that he has made into football players. He has this effect on his guys on D. Imagine if his presence was felt through the whole team?.. So much upside. If we go young then I want Rex!

Also.. he would probably bring a couple of his minions with him. Bart Scott and Suggs are both F.A's.

You don't think Rex would make Gholston into a Q.B sacking machine?.. I've never been so sure about a coach like I am with Rex. Plus he's got ties with the Jets from childhood.

When you have a guy this good the defense will be stout. This also gives you room to groom Q.Bs because the defense will be stellar. You put Flacco on another team and he'd struggle. No question about it

MAKE IT HAPPEN WOODY!

"Adam Schefter, in a blog post at NFL.com, cites league sources who think that Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is the favorite to land the Rams head coaching gig for 2009.

With the Falcons, Rams new GM Billy Devaney interviewed Ryan and Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz for the head coaching job before settling on Mike Smith. Those connections could be the key to filling the Rams de facto coaching vacancy.

Schefter's take on Ryan:

Ryan is the type of coach that could help turn around this franchise, and he would not command the type of salary that a Bill Cowher or a higher-profile head coach would.

#13 User is offline   CJBallar01 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

Now that its pretty clear Marty wont be our HC im rooting for Rex Ryan now. You cant help but like what he does and all his players love him. Hes had more than a couple years as a DC now so I would feel more comfortable about that..

Rex Ryan in 09!!!!! nana.gif

#14 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

He wants to coach badly, depending on his interview he has a chance to coach us. I think he would bring Rob Ryan to be his DC, hopefully they would run the same scheme as the Ravens ran and blitz heavily. We got a smart ILB that can do a lot of things in David Harris. Right scheme he will be awesome again, this year he had injuries all season.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

Hopefully with this late surge in the playoffs it impresses Woody to go after him.

#16 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (S-Dubb @ Jan 5 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully with this late surge in the playoffs it impresses Woody to go after him.

Well they already have expressed interest in interviewing him. They should only hire him if they like what he is about in that interview.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   gojets3393 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

I am now officially on the Rex Ryan Bandwagon. This guy could turn us around. If he somehow brings Suggs and Scott with him....Oh my god. Just Draft Taylor Mays or Vontae Davis in the first round and we will be completely loaded on defense. Let Rex make kerry into Ed Reed, Darelle into Chris McAllister, Harris into Ray Lewis.

This is the kind of man we want coaching our squad.

#18 User is offline   TimmyLamJones Icon

• "06 Top 10 Donator"/06 Best Insider Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

I have a bad feeling that he is going to rub the "schoolboy" types in Tannebaum and Woody the wrong way.

This is Buddy Ryan's kid.....we all know how Buddy was. I got a feeling that the two who are searching might be scared by Ryan's demeanor and agressive attitude.

Hope they aren't...its exactly what this team needs
'We have to have him.' He just destroyed that guy! My kind of guy! We don't chase the pretty girl. We chase the passionate, mean s.o.b. who loves football.’

Great quote...but kind of scared me. All Tannebaum and crew have be doing is searching for those "pretty girl", "core character" types in the past 3 drafts (some hits, some not so much). On top of his demeanor, this type of "kind of player wanted" approach may again scare off the two schoolboys

We need guys on this team who are looking to fight, fire people up, and have some passion. Enough with the quiet types like DBrick, Gholston, E. Smith, etc......give me some bark

#19 User is offline   EnRiCH13 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (TimmyLamJones @ Jan 5 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a bad feeling that he is going to rub the "schoolboy" types in Tannebaum and Woody the wrong way.

This is Buddy Ryan's kid.....we all know how Buddy was. I got a feeling that the two who are searching might be scared by Ryan's demeanor and agressive attitude.

Hope they aren't...its exactly what this team needs

Great quote...but kind of scared me. All Tannebaum and crew have be doing is searching for those "pretty girl", "core character" types in the past 3 drafts (some hits, some not so much). On top of his demeanor, this type of "kind of player wanted" approach may again scare off the two schoolboys

We need guys on this team who are looking to fight, fire people up, and have some passion. Enough with the quiet types like DBrick, Gholston, E. Smith, etc......give me some bark

That's why I had made that thread before.
I think the high-character/low profile players was a Mangini thing.
Mangini didn't like guys who were willing to speak up against things they didn't like, I mean you think none of the Jets had anything they wanted to say during the season about Brett?
Mangini even dumped the fan favorite Kevin Mawae because he stood up against some of the things Mangini did.

I'm really hoping the Jets interview Ryan and Ryan impresses, His attitude personifies what I want to see from the team I root for.

IPB Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users