NYJetsFan.com Forums: Clemens Just Wants A Chance - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop game vs packers MNf next
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:45 PM) yeah cause Rex has perfectly coached many a games
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:45 PM) morningwheeg what an idiot....hope re4x throws him under the bus during the presser
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:45 PM) you want the NFL to say sorry and you want Morningwig canned. You're a clown
bleedsgreen Icon : (Yesterday, 06:45 PM) Gotta give credit to greenbay. That's a good football team
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:46 PM) f*** an apology. It's not going to change anything in the standings which is what matters at the end of the season.
FlyHiJets Icon : (Yesterday, 06:46 PM) definitely reminds me of AFC Championship in Denver
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:46 PM) marty ranks up there with bittfumble
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:47 PM) buttfumble
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:47 PM) The should have made sure he knew who was calling the time out. Hell Rex was on his right and Marty was on his left.
mgjetman Icon : (Yesterday, 06:47 PM) Getting lazy with a minute 50 on the clock before half was the nail in the coffin.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:48 PM) The ref
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:49 PM) There is plenty of blame to spread around. No team should lose a 17 point lead anyway.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:50 PM) DUDS - Miliner and Marty
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:50 PM) BRUTAL LOSS
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:52 PM) I really don't blame Marty because it's the refs job to make sure he sees who is calling the timeout. Plus the ball had already been snapped before he even noticed somebody was calling a TO.
mgjetman Icon : (Yesterday, 06:53 PM) Just gave that game away. WTH!!!
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:54 PM) He didn't even blow the whistle until Geno already had dropped back to pass. The play was already well underway.
bleedsgreen Icon : (Yesterday, 07:03 PM) I heard it when the ball was already in the air
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) but it shouldn't of come down to that TO blunder
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) we did give up a 18 point lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) so we fucked up and lost
bleedsgreen Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) True
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) time to get ready for MNF
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:09 PM) Well it sucks when you start to feel the jets are going to lose the game them selves
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:09 PM) the Vick play worthless
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:09 PM) that run on 3rd and 5 worthless
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:09 PM) chris Johnson also I don't know what his numbers were but ivory seemed to be a better back
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:13 PM) Marty just picks the worse time to call those wildcat plays
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:13 PM) they are drive killers
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 07:27 PM) Problem is the corners. We knew this before the start of the season. I was amazed at how well they did last week and the first half but eventually the weakness showed
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 07:28 PM) The corner positions will be addressed next year. Technically we are still in a rebuilding phase.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:39 PM) we did go toe to toe against a SB contender and we really shouldn't be heartbroken but if you call yourself a JETS fan and aren't a little pissed over a W that we had in our control then you need to go and hand in your JETS gear ... I'm looking at you 115
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:24 PM) 18 penalties in 2 games
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:27 PM) Geno dropped from #1 to #28 in TOTAL QBR
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:10 PM) Cutler just got popped right in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:11 PM) that was a squared up right in the middle of the chest hit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:13 PM) nice one handed catch by Marshall
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:06 PM) NFL rules state that only the head coach can call a timeout on the sidelines…

Except in Green Bay where anybody up to the third row can call a timeout.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:06 PM) I love NFL memes
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:30 PM) Well I will be at the game next Monday night
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:30 PM) So I will be doing everything I can to help our team win!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 10:15 AM) 2nd year in a row we should be 2-0
santana Icon : (Today, 12:17 PM) TIMEOUT!!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:05 PM) SPIDER Y 2 BANANA
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clemens Just Wants A Chance

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Post icon  Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

Jets' Clemens just wants a chance

Bob Glauber
March 27, 2009
FLORHAM PARK, N.J.

Where has Kellen Clemens seen this before? Coach tells you it's an open competition at quarterback heading into training camp. And then - boom! - all of a sudden it's not.

Flash back to last summer, when Clemens was in the midst of a preseason battle with Chad Pennington. Just before midnight on Aug. 6, the Jets blew up those plans by trading for Brett Favre. Pennington was shown the door, Clemens the clipboard.

Here it is, not even a year later, and there are trade rumblings yet again, this time involving disgruntled Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. The Jets have expressed interest in Cutler - although at this point, it's extremely preliminary, and there are increasing indications that Cutler isn't going anywhere.

Even so, Clemens can't help hearing the background noise.

"At this point, it's March 26, and it's either going to happen or it's not," Clemens said yesterday during a break in his offseason conditioning workouts.

"I am approaching it the same way I did last year when everything started surfacing about Brett. Now, granted, that came true. If it happens, it happens. My job right now is just to go out in this first minicamp especially, to prove that we don't need to go outside of what is already in this locker room."

As it stands now, Clemens is in a battle with Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge for the starter's job. New coach Rex Ryan has indicated to all three quarterbacks it's a wide-open competition.

Then again, a few more blowups from two time zones away, and things can easily change. If Cutler refuses to mend fences with first-year coach Josh McDaniels, who entertained the notion of trading for quarterback Matt Cassel before the Patriots sent him to the Chiefs, then there is no assurance that either of the three quarterbacks in the locker room yesterday will be under center on opening day.

Ratliff, who had a terrific preseason in 2008, said he has no problem tuning out the speculation about Cutler.

"I try not to focus on things like that because I can't control that," he said. "I can control being here early. I can control how hard I work, so that is what I am going to continue to do. If they do decide to trade for Cutler, or pick him up, or draft a guy, or whatever they feel they need to do to help the team, I am all for it. That is what I am trying to do here - to help the team."

Earlier in the week, Ryan gushed about his three quarterbacks during the NFL owners meetings in California.

"We like the guys we've got," Ryan said. "We think with Brett Ratliff, Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge, we have three young quarterbacks. These quarterbacks have been able to stay in the same system their entire career. It's not like you're getting a rookie.

"For Kellen Clemens, this will be his fourth year in this system. He's backed up some pretty good quarterbacks. Obviously with Brett Favre, everyone's going to back him up. With Brett Ratliff, all he did last year was have a 122.5 passer rating in the preseason. He's never had a chance in a regular-season game, but it would be hard to get that kind of rating if you were going against air. We'll see how he plays."

Sure doesn't sound like a coach who's ready to blow everything up. Then again, what's Ryan supposed to say? Even if the Jets are interested in Cutler, it's in Ryan's best interest to stay out of the fray and support the guys already on the roster. After all, if the Jets don't end up acquiring Cutler, Ryan has to deal with the quarterbacks he already has. And if Cutler does come aboard, then Ryan can adjust accordingly.

But at least the first-year head coach knows he has three guys willing to fight it out and let the best quarterback play. No bellyaching in this locker room, especially not from Clemens, who has reason to feel uncomfortable about his situation. Eric Mangini slammed the door on his opportunity in 2008, although it was the coach who paid the price for Favre's late-season swoon. Mangini was fired after losing four of his last five to miss the playoffs.

Clemens now has another chance, but knows Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum might slam the door in his face once more. The quarterback would at least like to state his case.

"I believe if I'm under center," Clemens said, "we have playoff potential."

Not a bigger promise than that?

"I'm not going to pull a Namath on you just yet," he quipped.

Understood. After all, Clemens knows from experience there are no guarantees. All he wants now is a chance.

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

i don't mind giving him a chance, but he did get a small chance already and didn't play well. if he doesn't cut it this year i'd be happy getting rid of him. still i wanna see what ratliff can do in a real game
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   JeTAtTacK Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

Correct me if Iím wrong here, but I donít think any QB wouldíve had any good numbers 2 years ago with that O-Line. Especially Farve, who was like a duck out there holding the ball for 10 seconds before being sacked! So if your gonna judge him based on that season thatís BS. Even Pennington had a hard time throwing the ball that year! Clemens has a strong arm and great pocket presence & can run (Check his rushing yards), he just needs another chance and I believe in the kid. If Ratliff wins so be it, but right now this is Clemens team. Ryanís seen it and experienced Clemens and heís aiming right at him! Back when Pennington was not Pennington, I believed in him as well, felt he could become something special for us. And look how he turned out through the years (Made us a better team and that finally earned some respect). I feel the same for Clemens, with a great line now heís gonna be something special. WATCH!

Jetattack

#4 User is offline   Swissle Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (JeTAtTacK @ Mar 31 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct me if Iím wrong here, but I donít think any QB wouldíve had any good numbers 2 years ago with that O-Line. Especially Farve, who was like a duck out there holding the ball for 10 seconds before being sacked! So if your gonna judge him based on that season thatís BS. Even Pennington had a hard time throwing the ball that year! Clemens has a strong arm and great pocket presence & can run (Check his rushing yards), he just needs another chance and I believe in the kid. If Ratliff wins so be it, but right now this is Clemens team. Ryanís seen it and experienced Clemens and heís aiming right at him! Back when Pennington was not Pennington, I believed in him as well, felt he could become something special for us. And look how he turned out through the years (Made us a better team and that finally earned some respect). I feel the same for Clemens, with a great line now heís gonna be something special. WATCH!

Jetattack

agreed. clemens deserves a shot. i for one think he can be a winning QB. the dude can flat out throw the football...hopefully the one thing clemens learned from favre was how to NOT chuck the football all over the field.

#5 User is offline   VILMAmazing51 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

the no o-line comment is def true...but i just to add something...if my memory serves me correctly clemens started 5 games:

1) ravens- with the way our line was and the way that D swarms...no QB qould have played well.
2) redskins- greg williams was still DC at the time and the skins had a very active D..again tough for a young QB
3) Cowboys- solid, active defense
4) Steelers- see ravens.
5) Patriots- Belicheck could spot our hole at LG that year from a mile away..he exploits something like that better than anyone...

my point is for 5 starts that is not an easy group to go against...they had no line and no running game that year..and thats why the "he didnt play well" thing goes out the window for me...give him the running game we have, a great oline, and some good safety nets like keller and NOW lets judge him.

FINALLY!!!! A REAL BIG BOY!!!

#6 User is offline   MoMilk1991 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

Clemens has started 8 games. All were in 07. 3-5 record as a starter VILMAmazing.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   VILMAmazing51 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

were those 5 of the teams?

FINALLY!!!! A REAL BIG BOY!!!

#8 User is offline   MoMilk1991 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (VILMAmazing51 @ Apr 1 2009, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
were those 5 of the teams?

Yeah. Except, wasn't he knocked out of the game when he started against the Pats? Chad started the first time we played them in 07, that was when he hurt his ankle. Clemens got a rib injury in the second Pats game, because Adrien Clarke is god awful.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Amen Icon

• Head Writer / 2008 Best Mod Award
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Rhodes1991 @ Apr 1 2009, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. Except, wasn't he knocked out of the game when he started against the Pats? Chad started the first time we played them in 07, that was when he hurt his ankle. Clemens got a rib injury in the second Pats game, because Adrien Clarke is god awful.

Yep. Which is what pisses me off when people say he was 3-5. Technically, he's 3-4. Just because he started the game means nothing. He was out after the first 'drive.' Pennington took over for the rest of it.

#10 User is offline   Amen Icon

• Head Writer / 2008 Best Mod Award
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (VILMAmazing51 @ Mar 31 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the no o-line comment is def true...but i just to add something...if my memory serves me correctly clemens started 5 games:

1) ravens- with the way our line was and the way that D swarms...no QB qould have played well.
2) redskins- greg williams was still DC at the time and the skins had a very active D..again tough for a young QB
3) Cowboys- solid, active defense
4) Steelers- see ravens.
5) Patriots- Belicheck could spot our hole at LG that year from a mile away..he exploits something like that better than anyone...

my point is for 5 starts that is not an easy group to go against...they had no line and no running game that year..and thats why the "he didnt play well" thing goes out the window for me...give him the running game we have, a great oline, and some good safety nets like keller and NOW lets judge him.

We beat the Steelers that year, though. Huge upset game with most Jets' tickets being sold to Pittsburgh fans.

Kellen's fifth loss came to the Browns that season, and we got steamrolled by Jamal Lewis on a 31-yard TD run

#11 User is offline   Swissle Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Amen @ Apr 1 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We beat the Steelers that year, though. Huge upset game with most Jets' tickets being sold to Pittsburgh fans.

Kellen's fifth loss came to the Browns that season, and we got steamrolled by Jamal Lewis on a 31-yard TD run

I really really really do not want Jay Cutler on the fuckin Jets. PLEASE GIVE CLEMENS A CHANCE!!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users