NYJetsFan.com Forums: You Will Like This Man Version Of The Game - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop another game vs Lions. Offense is bad
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) we need to start doing that shit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:55 PM) our D needs to start making shit like that happen
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) fuck that penalty
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) "going on your knees" stupidest shit ever
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 09:57 PM) let them do the end zone celebrations
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:59 PM) thank you KC for slaughtering these overrated fucks
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:59 PM) Brady watching too much geno tape
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:00 PM) brady to the bench
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:00 PM) Oh god what has KC done! GARAPAPOLLO UNLEASHED
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:01 PM) I hope someone lays a Mo Lewis on Garapapolo
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:01 PM) square in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:02 PM) so brady can get his knee broken again
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) I'm scared
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) this kid might be legit
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) IT WASNT WORTH IT
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) cmon KC
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) wtf
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) f***
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:04 PM) they let the rookie just drive it on them
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:05 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:05 PM) now KC needs a TD
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:06 PM) It wasn't worth it :(
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:15 PM) KC has some big ol boys
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:19 PM) TY KC for bringing these overrated fucks back down to earth
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 10:22 PM) I think 03 should be a mod. I think everyone should be.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 10:23 PM) What do we have to loose?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) our O better get their shit together starting this Sunday
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) we need to be on our A game when we play Denver and the CHEATriots
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) and Buffalo doesn't scare me
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:34 PM) but these next 3 games better get it's shit together
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:01 PM) maybe Idzik knew that MEvis was not as good anymore
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:11 AM) Nah, fire idzik
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:12 AM) Milber is expected to play this week, how nice of him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:14 AM) The chargers are going to be tough
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 10:22 AM) well there is a silver lining to this season, tom brady sucks and so do the pats
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:48 AM) Jets sign John Conner back, with Bohannon injured at FB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:49 AM) that is why they should consider starting Vick, they could compete for the divsion with solid QB play. Can Rex really afford to sit there waiting for things to click with Geno while he keeps throwing INTs?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 12:26 PM) i didn't even notive bohannon was hurt
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 12:28 PM) vick gives us a chance to win now, geno can still learn as a backup
santana Icon : (Today, 01:28 PM) I miss T Bo already
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 02:35 PM) The raiders are a dumpster fire
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 02:36 PM) they are naming Tony Sparano yes that Tony Sparano formally the OC of the NYJ and the wildcat whacko from Miami is the new interim HC for the Oakland Gayders
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 02:39 PM) well good thing we got rid of LaRon Landry since he just got suspended for PED's
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:08 PM) i'm not suprised. that guy looked like he was on roids
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:10 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

You Will Like This Man Version Of The Game

#1 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

San Diego Chargers offense is no match for Rex Ryan, New York Jets' scheme

BY Hank Gola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Monday, January 18th 2010, 4:00 AM
Updated: Monday, January 18th 2010, 11:42 AM

SAN DIEGO - It was a textbook playbook. It followed the formula of what Rex Ryan calls Jets football, a masterpiece of a defensive game plan - executed with brute artistry - that made it possible for the offense to play its old-school game and eventually put the game away.

Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine emptied the playbook and shut down one of the league's most explosive offenses by confusing Philip Rivers yesterday. They took the Chargers out of their comfort zone and San Diego self-destructed with uncharacteristic penalties, mistakes and turnovers.

The Jets didn't just force the Chargers to play their game. They forced them to lose their game, 17-14. And now Peyton Manning has a lot to mull over as he prepares for this defense in next Sunday's AFC Championship Game.

Ryan was so impressed, he felt the need to "apologize to our fans for going to soft at the end of the game," when they worked the clock, played zone and allowed the Chargers to score a second touchdown.

"Their defense was perfect," San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson said.

It was so confusing to the Chargers, quarterback Philip Rivers called two timeouts before the first quarter was over.

The Jets played seven, even eight defensive backs and blitzed from every direction, bringing more people than the Chargers could block and forcing Rivers to settle for underneath receivers, outlets and hot reads.

The Chargers' three big-play weapons - wideout Vincent Jackson, tight end Antonio Gates and running back Darren Sproles - never made their presence felt. The Jets did what no other team was able to do all year: they contained all three.

While Darrelle Revis wasn't on Jackson exclusively, he had him on what Ryan called "tough downs" and made one of the key plays of the game. Rivers, trying to cash in on a Mark Sanchez interception, threw up one of his patented jump balls to the 6-5 receiver. Revis stripped the ball and came up with the interception with a fortunate bounce off Jackson's leg and into his arms.

"We were playing a lot of man coverage on (Revis') side regardless of who the receiver was. And on the other side we were running some located zones and mixes and things like that," Ryan explained.

The Jets played what Ryan called "one and a half" coverage on Sproles, with "one guy on him and a half a guy spying him," and limited his production in the passing game to three catches for 30 yards. Sproles had 33 rushing yards, but inexplicably got only three carries while Tomlinson rushed 12 times for 24 yards - the fifth time in seven career playoff games he's been held under 50.

Gates, meanwhile, was held to eight catches for 93 yards and was never able to get down the field.

The Chargers' only touchdowns came on a pass to third-string tight end Kris Wilson and a 1-yard run by Rivers, and San Diego was held under 20 points for the first time all season.

"They do a lot of different things," Gates said. "You look up and there are two down linemen and nine guys walking around."

That, said Norv Turner, had the Chargers scrambling to get into the right protections, which led to false starts.

According to safety Kerry Rhodes, the turning point came in the second quarter when the Jets started playing more man coverage. The Chargers had scored by then on a four-play drive to take a 7-0 lead, thanks to a throwback screen against the grain to Gates and a blown coverage for the TD to Wilson as he found a hole in the zone. Rivers was 13-for-19 for 159 yards in the first half, 14-for-21 for 139 with two interceptions in the second.

"We started playing more man and got in their face," said Rhodes, who had a lot more responsibility for Gates after the change of philosophy. "It took away from their timing. In zone, they were running around and getting free."

At halftime, the Jets defenders prevailed upon Ryan to stay man and come after Rivers.

"Turn us loose," said DE Marques Douglas.

"We got a little more aggressive," Rhodes said. "We told coach and we started playing some Cover One and Cover Zero."

Turner, as it turned out, played right into the Jets' hands. It almost seemed the Chargers were force-feeding Tomlinson with poor results, especially when they tried to follow the Bengals' lead by running against the Jets' sub packages. Dominance on first down allowed the Jets' defense to dominate third. The Chargers were 4-for-13 on third-down conversions, rarely facing short-yardage situations.

"We believed they were a finesse football team," linebacker Bart Scott said. "We wanted to make sure we made them know that every time they got tackled to be looking. Those hard hits set a tone. It made some guys start hearing some footsteps."

Eventually, the offense started playing Jets football as well, thanks to the scoreboard. After four straight three-and-outs and six straight punts, the Jets, down just 7-0, were still able to keep pounding the football and leave Sanchez with manageable down and distance for the most part. Shonn Greene's 53-yard TD burst was the breaking point but it couldn't have come if Sanchez had been forced to match throws with Rivers.

"It's a matter of time when we're doing what we want to do, pounding the ball, until it falls in our favor," said center Nick Mangold. "We call it chopping the tree. It took a little longer but we got it done."
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#2 User is offline   RaisedOnRiots Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

[b][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][quote]You Will Like This Man Version Of The Game[/quote][/size][/font][/b]

Why yes, yes I did. I loves me some defense, and that was a great read. Thanks!
"And He Leadeth Them, To Suckage"...

#3 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

There is plenty of talk about the NEW YORK JETS today on the NFL Network the nation has taken notice .
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#4 User is offline   RaisedOnRiots Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

[quote name='gmany3k' date='19 January 2010 - 12:07 PM' timestamp='1263920870' post='293325']
There is plenty of talk about the NEW YORK JETS today on the NFL Network the nation has taken notice .
[/quote]

I think Rex and his D-Coord might be writing a new dynamic before our very eyes. If the Jets D can neutralize Manning and his crew on "do or die"-day, I will have no choice but to consider those two the most cutting-edge minds for defense in the NFL. Period.

There's a shit-ton of prep like everyone else, but it's the chess game that has me so intrigued. Serious minds at work. I love it. Hell, if I could, I'd lend you 1993-97 Derrick Thomas for the rest of the season just to see what Rex could do with him.

And I mean that.
"And He Leadeth Them, To Suckage"...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users