NYJetsFan.com Forums: My Issue I Had At The Grocery Store Late Last Night - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ALL WE NEEDED WAS A FIELD GOAL
V DidDy 210 Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:44 PM) wowsers
V DidDy 210 Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:44 PM) i'm still crying from last night
V DidDy 210 Icon : (17 October 2014 - 06:44 PM) and on top of that the jets fuccked me again by getting harvin before he could play this week lol
santana Icon : (17 October 2014 - 07:33 PM) stop your crying THERE'S NO CRYING AT NYJETSFAN
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 October 2014 - 08:12 AM) Jets are cutting David Nelson
jetfan4life12 Icon : (18 October 2014 - 09:15 AM) the probably could have had Santana Moss cheap. He has been healthy all season but inactive every week
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (18 October 2014 - 11:06 AM) I'd prefer to keep him and cut Salas
santana Icon : (18 October 2014 - 11:36 AM) you would of thought david nelson would of been more of a redzone threat by this point. hes a big dude.
santana Icon : (18 October 2014 - 11:39 AM) real madrid shooting practice continues
santana Icon : (18 October 2014 - 12:02 PM) arent there some other names that could have been cut instead
santana Icon : (18 October 2014 - 12:03 PM) chris owusu
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 October 2014 - 01:21 PM) Salas is better than Nelson
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) Nelson is rated as the worst wr in football this season
santana Icon : (18 October 2014 - 01:34 PM) he has to better than owusu or graham
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (18 October 2014 - 04:36 PM) I posted an article about harvin and some of his issues. Dude seems like a wack job with talent. Hope rex can corral this guy or he could make the locker room implode
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:43 AM) Wasn't demean Jackson vilified as a gang affiliated street thug during his Philly release
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:31 PM) damn football sunday and no ones on
Canuck Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:00 PM) Yeah, cuz Rex is so good at developing offensive talent; 0 - Infinity
Canuck Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:02 PM) Harvin is Holmes 2.0, except punches for general bitchiness and annoying first down celebrations.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:03 PM) i'm not buying into the media nonsense
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:06 PM) Harvin is a playmaker, we needed one.
Canuck Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:15 PM) I hope he tears it up as a Jet, but he's been tossed from 2 teams in as many years and hasn't cracked 1000 yds in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he had CTE from those brutal head hits, hence the aggression of late.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:18 PM) I was tossed from two t-ball teams and some people still say i was the best hitter on timid deer lane
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:20 PM) bills RBs dropping like flies
Canuck Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:20 PM) We'll only really know when the autopsy his brain. Stay tuned! Guy never should have played the Super Bowl after the 2 concussions he suffered against the Saints.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:26 PM) whitehurst clipboard jesus
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:54 PM) brian shottenheimer must of lost his mind haha
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:11 PM) fuckin orton
V DidDy 210 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:11 PM) how does he keep doing it?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:53 PM) Jack Daniels
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:25 PM) murray horse
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:28 PM) GOD DAMN IT ANQUAN
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:29 PM) what is this amateur hour!?!?!?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:29 PM) come on!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:43 PM) Manning just broke the Passing TD record
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:44 PM) :boredom: we could of had him a few years ago
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:44 PM) but at least he didn't break it on us
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:45 PM) I don't think he wanted to be here
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:46 PM) I don't really care for passing records being broken. Qbs now have a lot of rules in their favor
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:46 PM) I mean even the catch that got them into the redzone was a PI call that wouldnt of been called when favre played
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 05:16 AM) is that a suggestion that Favre was a better QB than Peyton?
santana Icon : (Today, 08:05 AM) No it's a suggestion that passing records today are a bit skewed by the modern rules
santana Icon : (Today, 08:05 AM) everyone knows Favre is the bestest ever that's not even an argument duhhhhh
santana Icon : (Today, 01:18 PM) Cool jets throw blanket - http://www.woot.com/...ref=cnt_wp_2_22
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:21 PM) jets slippers yo
Resize Shouts Area

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

My Issue I Had At The Grocery Store Late Last Night

#21 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

View PostAmen, on 01 February 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

I should pushpin this topic for Louis CK alone.

And TheFuture, there's a difference between declaring your pride for your heritage and being a supremacist. No one gets mad at the Irish during St. Patrick's Day. No one gets mad at flags or representing your heritage's colors. But when the conversations turn into, "We're better because..." it starts to walk a fine line.

Also, I can't stop staring at my avatar.

Oh yea... I forgot, you put me on to Louis. Good looks there, dude is hilarious!

#22 User is offline   TheFuture Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

View PostAmen, on 01 February 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

I should pushpin this topic for Louis CK alone.

And TheFuture, there's a difference between declaring your pride for your heritage and being a supremacist. No one gets mad at the Irish during St. Patrick's Day. No one gets mad at flags or representing your heritage's colors. But when the conversations turn into, "We're better because..." it starts to walk a fine line.

Also, I can't stop staring at my avatar.

I can't stop staring either, who is she? Also I brought it up because a good friend of mine got suspended for saying hes proud to be white, no mention of I'm white I'm better than you. Just a comment about pride of where your from and what race you are.
"If you take a swipe at one of ours, we'll take a swipe at two of yours" -Rex Ryan

#23 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

Just hope this is the last beating you give out Dubb. You are better than that, and we all know that (and I'm sure people close to you know that). You say that the guy needed the beating... that isn't going to change a damn thing. As far as being 31 with a kid, that should give you more reason to walk away from something like that. That was merely my point. I know my childhood was full of fights and I had a little girl at a young age, and all the silly immaturity has for the most part been rid of because of her. You have to set the right example.

#24 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 01 February 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

Oh and hurricane. The "whiteboy" Danny Woodhead thread was meant in Jest and I was directed at gmany. Gmany likes to make note of someone who plays football that is white. I was just poking fun.

that's correct! when you can trust and love one another you can play . You Love When You Play its like a Rule of Creation.
Lets Play .PS> Amen that girl is a distraction and we should vote on if it stays up there or not.
let me vote first Can you make the picture a little larger :}
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#25 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Now we all agree that the guy was wrong. But, can what Dubbs did be considered a race crime? He only beat up the white guy because he was white. If a black man told Dubbs "Mind your business, ni99er", Dubbs wouldn't get so irate. I think this is an unfortunate case of two racists bumping into each other. Neither one is an adequate representation of either race. Lets just hope that their children grow up to be better citizens of the world.

#26 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 01 February 2010 - 07:01 PM, said:

Now we all agree that the guy was wrong. But, can what Dubbs did be considered a race crime? He only beat up the white guy because he was white. If a black man told Dubbs "Mind your business, ni99er", Dubbs wouldn't get so irate. I think this is an unfortunate case of two racists bumping into each other. Neither one is an adequate representation of either race. Lets just hope that their children grow up to be better citizens of the world.

Wow bro.. tell me how you really feel. This is so wrong on so many different levels it's not even funny. So he calls me a n*gger, I happen to lose my cool and I'm categorized as a racist?... hahahaaaa stop it. This is just foolish.

Sometimes you have to know when and when not to say something. Sometimes there are things that just shouldn't be said (I'm referring to your post). It's just so far fetched and lacks any real substance its disgusting.

#27 User is online   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 01 February 2010 - 06:24 PM, said:

Wow bro.. tell me how you really feel. This is so wrong on so many different levels it's not even funny. So he calls me a n*gger, I happen to lose my cool and I'm categorized as a racist?... hahahaaaa stop it. This is just foolish.

Sometimes you have to know when and when not to say something. Sometimes there are things that just shouldn't be said (I'm referring to your post). It's just so far fetched and lacks any real substance its disgusting.

I don't think your a racist, but i do think you need to keep your cool. you need to act like a 31 year old with a wife and kid like you are and not a 16 year old kid in high school.

Sorry dubb but you shoulda just turned the other cheek and been the bigger man instead of beating up some drunk racist.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#28 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 01 February 2010 - 08:24 PM, said:

S-Dubb I think he was being funny and it was pretty funny to me and I am taking you to heart .
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#29 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

I don't think your a racist, but i do think you need to keep your cool. you need to act like a 31 year old with a wife and kid like you are and not a 16 year old kid in high school.

Sorry dubb but you shoulda just turned the other cheek and been the bigger man instead of beating up some drunk racis

View Postgmany3k, on 01 February 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

S-Dubb I think he was being funny and it was pretty funny to me and I am taking you to heart .

#30 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:55 PM

Well my turn to add my two cents. Sounds like (to use a Boondocks term) you had a "N*gger moment." But even though he was drunk and or high doesn't mean he didn't know what he was doing, also it doesn't make him a racist either. Hear me out. This looks like a situation where the guy wanted to use the "deal breaker word." I call it the deal breaker word because that dude and every other white person in America knows that is the one word they can say to get a rise out of a black person and make them get angry. They know the history of the word, where it comes from, what it means, and how the black community feels about white people using that word towards them. See this guy could have called Dubb a homo, coon, thug, or even a f*g. But those words are not a sure fire way to get a rise out a total stranger which is what Dubb was to this guy. This guy knew even in his intoxicated state that the one word he could use to make this black guy angry was the N word. He probably never uses that word even when he's sober, but he like everybody knows that word has power behind it.

I remember when I was in junior high school and I was on the basketball courts shooting baskets by myself and this guy and his friend had a basketball with barley any air in it. While I had one that bounced the way a basketball should. Anyway he wanted my ball and tried to coax me into giving him my ball. After it became clear he wasn't getting the ball he made one last ditch effort to get it from me. He said "give me the ball you n*gger." Now I would have liked to punch the guy but I was no fool either. I knew that #1 it would have been two against one and they were both the same size as me, so I had little chance of winning the fight if I went after the guy. #2 I'd lose the fight and they'd grab the ball while I was on the ground; and #3 I would have been a black kid starting a fight with a white kid in a predominately white school in a predominately white town. Needless to say the odds of the principal seeing things my way wasn't in my favor. But I knew the kid wasn't an overt racist. He played football with black kids including me later in high school. He had no problem, playing with, working with, and being friendly with black kids (even me later in our school years). Honestly I didn't let it bother me because I knew why he said it. He just wanted to make me angry and that's what this guy wanted to do to Dubb. He used the one universal word he knew would get a rise out of Dubb and he got exactly that.

But there have been other times when I've reacted the same way Dubb did, maybe not to that extent but none the less the same response. The guy had it coming, though I think Dubb if you wouldn't have had alcohol in your system you probably would have just popped him one knocking his ass to the floor and that would have been it. But I wouldn't worry to much about the cops knocking on your door because I doubt he'd want to get the cops involved since he was clearly driving under the influence and probably had open containers and or drugs in his car and wouldn't have wanted the cops searching his car and giving him a blood alcohol test. As long as there are no witnesses willing to get involved (no snitching) and no physical evidence linking you to the fight things should be alright. The guy was so out of it he probably couldn't give a good description to the cops anyway.

I am glad to nobody has in this thread made a stupid post saying things like "well rappers use it," and "why is it okay for black people to use the word and not white people?" Hopefully people understand WHY rappers use it and why SOME black people use that word towards other black people. Though yes Gmany we are all Americans SOME Americans are not treated with the same equality that other Americans are treated with. Until then some of us will feel like even though we are Americans we are not part of America.

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 01 February 2010 - 05:00 PM, said:

Yeah Dubb I know it was...I know you meant no harm. But, it is something to think about. If I poked fun at the African American kicker that comes around once in a blue moon by making a thread titled, "A Little Black Boy Kicker!!!??? Can You Believe It!?"

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't go over so well...so why is it Ok to do it in the reverse?

Hurricane you could never make a post with that title. Because SecondHand would make it before you even could.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#31 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

Every immigrant goes through a time period before they are assimilated into the main stream.
You want to be equal in America project yourself think it than be it. for instance I could not tell from your post that you are not an American but that you are black until you said so . So put on the Armour of God principal and don't respond to the people who have been locked into prejudice rather inform them otherwise and be their friend.did you know that all the current races of people in this world came from one family and sailed the same boat. There were 4 males and 4 females . so you see we are all family.observation the N word has power and it is used for Evil that's a personal choice which I made back in 1977.
I guess I will google it.

#32 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

I thought I'd post the full article which should be read in full for the purpose of eliminating the usage and therefore the power of such a word on this site just like it says at the bottom of this article.I feel that most of you guys and gals are mature enough to read it with a child heart and mind and keep from going {SHANE}that's a joke right there kiddo. its meant to inform and make us like minded .my intent is good in nature only.

Donate to the Registry,

Home
Donate to the Registry
Benefactors
What Happened on Your Birthday?
Search the Registry
by Category
Search the Registry
by Keyword, Name, and Month

Registry
Poems or Lyrics

Registry Sources
What's New at
The Registry!
Registry Store
About Us
Contact

June 1
On this date, we look at the history of word “*beep*” in America. This word still sits at the center of anti-Black verbal distortions.

*Note: some of the content in this writing may be offensive to children.

The history of the word *beep* is often traced to the Latin word niger, meaning Black. This word became the noun, Negro (Black person) in English, and simply the color Black in Spanish and Portuguese. In early modern French, niger became negre and, later, negress (Black woman) was unmistakably a part of language history. One can compare to negre the derogatory *beep* and earlier English substitutes such as negar, neegar, neger, and niggor that developed into its lexico-semantic true version in English. It is probable that *beep* is a phonetic spelling of the White Southern mispronunciation of Negro.

No matter what its origins, by the early 1800s, it was firmly established as a derogative name. In the 21st century, it remains a principal term of White racism, regardless of who is using it. Social scientists agree that words like *beep*, kike, spic, and wetback come from three categories: disparaging nicknames (chink, dago, *beep*); explicit group devaluations ("Jew him down" or "*beep*ing the land"); and irrelevant ethnic names used as a mild disparagement ("jewbird" for cuckoos having prominent beaks or "Irish confetti" for bricks thrown in a fight.)

Over time, racial slurs have victimized all racial and ethnic groups; but no American group has endured as many racial nicknames as Blacks: coon, tom, savage, pickaninny, mammy, buck, samba, jigaboo, and buckwheat are some. Many of these slurs became fully traditional pseudo-scientific, literary, cinematic, and everyday distortions of African Americans. These caricatures, whether spoken, written, or reproduced in media and material objects, reflect the extent, the vast network, of anti-Black prejudice.

The word, *beep*, carries with it much of the hatred and disgust directed toward Black Africans and African Americans. Historically, *beep* defined, limited, made fun of, and ridiculed all Blacks. It was a term of exclusion, a verbal reason for discrimination. Whether used as a noun, verb, or adjective, it strengthened the stereotype of the lazy, stupid, dirty, worthless nobody. No other American surname carries as much purposeful cruelty. The following shortlist is important information on the word's use and meaning:

Naggers: Acting in a lazy and irresponsible manner.
*beep*lipping: wetting the end of a cigarette while smoking it.
*beep*lover: Derogatory term aimed at Whites lacking in the necessary loathing of Blacks.
*beep* luck: Exceptionally, but undeserved good luck.
*beep*-flicker: A small knife or razor with one side heavily taped to preserve the user's fingers.
*beep* heaven: Designated places, usually the balcony, where Blacks were forced to sit, for example, in an integrated movie theater or church.
*beep* knocker: Axe handle or weapon made from an axe handle.
*beep* rich: Deeply in debt but flamboyant.
*beep* shooter: A slingshot.
*beep* steak: A slice of liver or a cheap piece of meat.
*beep* stick: Police officer's baton.
*beep* tip: Leaving a small tip or no tip in a restaurant.
*beep* in the woodpile: A concealed motive or unknown factor affecting a situation in an adverse way.
*beep* work: Demeaning, menial tasks.

*beep* (as a word) is also used to describe a dark shade of color (*beep*-brown, *beep*-Black), the status of Whites that mix together with Blacks (*beep*-breaker, dealer, driver, killer, stealer, worshipper, and looking), and anything belonging to or linked to African Americans (*beep*-baby, boy, girl, mouth, feet, preacher, job, love, culture, college, music, etc). *beep* is the ultimate American insult; it is used to offend other ethnic groups. Jews are called White-*beep*s; Arabs, sand-*beep*s; Japanese, yellow-*beep*s. Americans created a racial hierarchy with Whites at the top and Blacks at the bottom.

In biology, heredity refers to the transference of biological characteristics from a parent organism to offspring. The word, *beep*, speaks to the human heredity of Black people. Defining which characteristics of a person are due to heredity and which are due to environmental influences is often a controversial discussion (the nature versus nurture debate), especially regarding intelligence and race.

The hierarchy was set up by an ideology that justified the use of deceit, exploitation, and intimidation to keep Blacks "in their place." Every major societal establishment offered legitimacy to the racial hierarchy. Ministers preached that God was White and had condemned Blacks to be servants. Scientists measured Black skulls, brains, faces, and genitalia, seeking to prove that Whites were genetically superior to Blacks. White teachers, teaching only White students, taught that Blacks were less evolved cognitively, psychologically, and socially. The entertainment media, from vaudeville to television and film, portrayed Blacks as docile servants, happy-go-lucky idiots, and dangerous thugs, and they still do this today. The criminal justice system sanctioned a double standard of justice, including its unspoken approval of mob violence against Blacks and there is still a similar double standard today. Both American slavery and the Jim Crow laws which followed were saturated by anti-Black laws and images. The negative portrayals of Blacks were both reflected in and shaped by everyday material objects: toys, postcards, ashtrays, detergent boxes, fishing lures, and children’s books. These items, and countless others, portrayed Blacks with bulging, darting eyes, fire-red oversized lips, jet-Black skin, and either naked or poorly clothed.

In 1874, the McLoughlin Brothers of New York produced a puzzle game called "Chopped Up *beep*s." Beginning in 1878, the B. Leidersdory Company of Milwaukee, WI., produced *beep*Hair Smoking Tobacco. Decades later, the name was changed to BiggerHair Smoking Tobacco. A 1916 magazine ad, copyrighted by Morris & Bendien, showed a Black child drinking ink. The caption read, "*beep* Milk" (shown). In 1917, the American Tobacco Company had a *beep*Hair redemption promotion. *beep*Hair coupons were redeemable for "cash, tobacco, S&H Green stamps, or presents." The J. Millhoff Company of England produced a series of cards in the 1930s which were widely distributed in the United States. One of the cards shows ten small Black dogs with the caption: "Ten Little *beep* Boys Went Out To Dine."

Ad (1916)

This is the first line from a popular children's story called, "The Ten Little *beep*s." it reads like this.
Ten Little *beep* Boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self, and then there were nine.
Nine Little *beep* Boys sat up very late; one overslept, and then there were eight. Eight Little *beep* Boys traveling in Devon; one said he'd stay there, and then there were seven.
Seven Little *beep* Boys chopping up sticks; one chopped himself in halves, and then there were six.
Six Little *beep* Boys playing with a hive; a Bumblebee stung one, and then there were five.
Five Little *beep* Boys going in for Law; one got in Chancery, and then there were four.
Four Little *beep* Boys going out to Sea; A Red Herring swallowed one, and then there were three.
Three Little *beep* Boys walking in the Zoo; the big Bear hugged one, and then there were two;
Two Little *beep* Boys sitting in the Sun; one got frizzled up, and then there was one.
One Little *beep* Boy living all alone; He got married, and then there were none.

In 1939, writer Agatha Christie published a book called Ten Little *beep*s. Later editions sometimes changed the name to Ten Little Indians, or And Then There Were None, but as late as 1978, copies of the book with the original title were being produced. It was not rare for sheet music produced in the first half of the 20th century to use the word *beep* on the cover. The Howley, Haviland Company of New York produced sheet music for the songs "Hesitate Mr. *beep*, Hesitate," and "You'se Just A Little *beep*, Still You'se Mine, All Mine." This last example was promoted as a children's lullaby. Some small towns used *beep* in their names, for example, *beep* Run Fork, Virginia. *beep* was a common name for darkly colored pets, especially dogs, cats, and horses. So-called "Jolly *beep* Banks," first made in the 1800s, were widely distributed as late as the 1960s. Another common piece with many variations, produced on posters, postcards, and prints is a picture of a dozen Black children rushing for a swimming hole. The caption reads, "Last One In's A *beep*."

The civil rights movement, Supreme Court decisions, the Black empowerment movement, broad civil rights legislation, and a general embracing of democracy by many American citizens have worn down America’s racial pecking order from slavery moving into Jim Crow period and today’s institutional racism. Yet, the word *beep* has not left and its relationship with anti-Black prejudice remains symbiotic, interrelated, and interconnected. Ironically, it is co-dependent because a racist society created *beep* and continues to feed and sustain it. But, the word no longer needs racism, or brutal and obvious forms, to survive. The word *beep* today has its own existence.

Another interesting and confusing experience in American speech is the use of *beep* by African Americans. Poetry by Blacks is instructive; one can often find the word *beep* used in Black writings. Major and minor poets alike have used it with startling results: Imamu Amiri Baraka, contemporary poet, uses *beep* in one of his angriest poems, "I Don't Love You," and what was the world to the words of slick *beep* fathers too depressed to explain why they could not appear to be men. One wonders how readers are supposed to understand "*beep* fathers.” Baraka's use of this imagery, regardless of his purpose, reinforces the stereotype of the worthless, pleasure-seeking “coon” caricature. Ted Joans's use of *beep* in "The Nice Colored Man" is an example of explainable expression. Joans said he was asked to give a reading in London because he was a "nice colored man." Infuriated by the labels "nice" and "colored,” Joan's wrote a quintessential rebellious poem. While the poem should be read in its entirety, a few lines will do:
Smart Black *beep* Smart Black *beep* Smart Black *beep* Smart Black *beep* Knife Carrying *beep* Gun Toting *beep* Military *beep* Clock Watching *beep* Poisoning *beep* Disgusting *beep* Black Ass *beep*.
This piece uses adjective upon adjective attached to the word *beep*.

The reality is that many of these uses can be heard in present-day African-American society. Herein lies part of the difficulty: The word, *beep*, endures because it is used over and over again, even by the people it insults. Writer Devorah Major said, "It's hard for me to say what someone can or can't say, because I work with language all the time, and I don't want to be limited." Poet and professor Opal Palmer Adisa claims that the use of *beep* or *beep* is "the same as young people's obsession with swearing. A lot of their use of such language is an internalization of negativity about themselves." Rappers, themselves poets, rap about *beep*s before mostly White audiences, some of whom see themselves as wiggers (White *beep*s) and refer to one another as "my niggah." Snoop Doggy Dogg’s single, "You Thought," raps, "Wanna grab a skinny *beep* like Snoop Dogg/Cause you like it tall/and work it baby doll." Tupac Shakur’s "Crooked Ass *beep*" lyrics included, "Now I could be a crooked *beep* too/When I'm rollin' with my crew." Also rap lyrics that degrade women and glamorize violence reinforce the historical Brute Caricature.

Erdman Palmore researched lexicons and said, The number of offensive words used correlates positively with the amount of out-group prejudice; and these express and support negative stereotypes about the most visible racial and cultural differences. When used by Blacks, *beep* refers to, among other things, all Blacks ("A *beep* can't even get a break."); Black men ("Sisters want *beep*s to work all day long."); Blacks who behave in a stereotypical, and sometimes legendary, manner ("He's a lazy, good-for-nothing *beep*."); things ("This piece-of-shit car is such a *beep*."); enemies ("I'm sick and tired of those *beep*s bothering me!"); and friends ("Me and my *beep*s are tight."). This final habit, as a kind word, is particularly challenging. "Zup Niggah" has become an almost universal greeting among young urban Blacks. When asked, Blacks who use *beep* or its variants argue that it has to be understood in its situation; repeated use of the word by Blacks will make it less offensive. It’s not really the same word because Whites are saying *beep* (and *beep*s) but Blacks are saying niggah (and niggaz). Also it is just a word and Blacks should not be prisoners of the past or the ugly words that originated in the past.

These arguments may not be true to the real world. Brother (Brotha) and Sister (Sistha or Sista) are terms of endearment. *beep* was and still is a word of disrespect. More to the point, the artificial dichotomy between Blacks or African Americans (respectable and middle-class) and *beep*s (disrespectable and lower class) ought to be challenged. Black is a *beep*, regardless of behavior, earnings, goals, clothing, skills, ethics, or skin color. Finally, if continued use of the word lessened its damage, then *beep* would not hurt or cause pain now. Blacks, from slavery until today, have internalized many negative images that White society cultivated and broadcast about Black skin and Black people. This is mirrored in cycles of self- and same-race hatred. The use of the word,*beep* by Blacks reflects this hatred, even when the user is unaware of the psychological forces involved. *beep* is the ultimate expression of White racism and White superiority no matter how it is pronounced. It is linguistic corruption, an attack on civility.

To a smaller scale, words other than *beep* also remain accepted public banter in White America. In 1988, on Martin Luther King's birthday, sports commentator Jimmy “The Greek” Snyder said (on national television) that Black people were better at sports because of slave plantation breeding techniques. "During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his Black with his big woman so that he would have a big Black-kid. That's were it all started." Another sports announcer, Billy Packer, referred to pro-basketball player, Allan Iverson, as a "tough monkey." Another announcer, Howard Cosell, referred to Alvin Garrett, a pro football player with the Washington Redskins as "little monkey" during a Monday Night Football game. The comments made by Cosell and Packer did not go without any punitive consequences.

*beep* is one of the most notorious words in American culture. Some words carry more weight than others. But without trying to exaggerate, is genocide just another word? Pedophilia? Clearly, no and neither is *beep*.

After a period of relative dormancy, the word *beep* has been reborn in popular culture. It is hard-edged, streetwise, and it has crossed over into movies like Pulp Fiction (1994) and Jackie Brown (1997), where it became a symbol of "street authenticity" and hipness. Denzel Washington's character in Training Day (2001) uses *beep* frequently and harshly. Richard Pryor long ago rejected the use of the word in his comedy act, but Chris Rock, Chris Tucker, and other Black male comedy kings use *beep* regularly and not affectionately. Justin Driver, a social critic, makes a case that both Rock and Tucker are modern minstrels shucking, jiving, and grinning, in the tradition of Step 'n Fetchit. White supremacists have found the Internet an indispensable tool for spreading their message of hate. An Internet search of *beep* using Netscape or Alta Vista locates many anti-Black web pages: *beep*s Must Die, Hang A *beep* for America, *beep* Joke Central, and many others. Web searchers find what most Blacks know from personal experience, that *beep* is an expression of anti-Black hostility. Without question, *beep* is the most commonly used racist slur during hate crimes.

No American minority group has been caricatured as often or in as many ways as Black people. These misrepresentations feature distorted physical descriptions and negative cultural and behavior stereotypes. The Coon caricature, for example, was a tall, skinny, loose-jointed, dark-skinned male, often bald, with oversized, ruby-red lips. His clothing was either ragged and dirty or extremely gaudy. His slow, exaggerated walk suggested laziness. He was a pauper, lacking ambition and the skills necessary for upward social mobility. He was a buffoon. When frightened, the Coon's eyes bulged and darted. His speech was slurred, halted, and stuffed with malapropisms. His piercing, high-pitched voice made Whites laugh. The Coon caricature dehumanized Blacks, and served to justify social, economic, and political discrimination. *beep* may be viewed as an umbrella term, a way of saying that Blacks have the negative characteristics of the Coon, Buck, Tom, Mammy, Sambo, Pickaninny, and other anti-Black caricatures.

*beep*, like the false impressions it incorporates and means, puts down Blacks, and rationalizes their abuse. The use of the word or its alternatives by Blacks has not lessened its hurt. This is not surprising in a racial hierarchy four centuries old, shaping the historical relationship between European Americans and African Americans. Anti-Black attitudes, motives, values, and behavior continue. Historically, *beep*, more than any other word, captures the personal hatred and institutionalized racism directed toward Blacks. It still does.

In 2003, the fight to correct the shameful availability of this word had positive results. Recently Kweisi Mfume, president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), gave a speech at Virginia Tech. There everyone was informed that a landmark decision was made with the people at Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Recognizing their error, beginning with the next edition, the word *beep* will no longer be synonymous with African-Americans in their publication.

Contributing writers:
Phil Middleton and David Pilgrim.
Dr. David Pilgrim, Dept. of Sociology
Ferris State University, 2001

The African American Registry®,
a resource on African American History, is a
501© (3) non-profit education organization
Our Mailing address is
P.O. Box 19441
Minneapolis, MN 55419
Fax: (612) 825-0598
Email us at info@aaregistry.org

The African American Registry® Copyright 2005, 2006
Privacy Policy
website design by NADA Advertising

#33 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

Hey Mr. Jet No one seen me get after this guy.. it was behind the grocery store and I wasn't concerned about cops. The only thing I was concerned about was his well being. When I left him he was making weird gurgling noises. Didn't sound to healthy. THats when I walked back into the grocery store and told the guy to call buddy an ambulance. In all honesty I probably only hit him about 8 or 9 times. It wasn't like I was sitting there just laying wood on him for a long time. L, ike I said I'm grown and mature and no savage. I was just trying to get out a little frustration.

Jetsman05, I wasn't with my daughter when it happen. She was sound asleep in her bed. My daughter is just fine, me and her mom take great care of her and sheltering her from sh*t. She's in grade 1 learning 2 languages. She's a good kid and very smart. This has nothing to do with trying to be a good example I have nothing to prove here. I'm a responsible productive member of society, I haven't got into a fight in almost 8 or 9 years. Yea you damn right I lost my cool, no ones perfect. He was an ignorant piece of sh*t. I could be 40, hell 50. If someone comes at me sideways like and they catch me in one of my days then it would probably happen again. All I'm saying is 95% of the time I'm cool and more time avoid confrontation. However there are times when someone needs to get it. I'm not asking you to agree with, me and you live totally different lives, and come from 2 totally different walks of life. As you can see the thread is almost split down the middle. Some people agree with what I did and others don't. There comes a time in someones life where they don't do the status quo thing, where they deal with something their self. Where they don't turn a blind eye or walk away.

The last thing I need is you trying to tell me what I need to do to raise my kid.

#34 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 02 February 2010 - 12:17 PM, said:

The last thing I need is you trying to tell me what I need to do to raise my kid.

I'm not telling you how to raise your kid, at all.

You know where I'm coming from Dubb.

#35 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

View Postgmany3k, on 02 February 2010 - 10:37 AM, said:

Every immigrant goes through a time period before they are assimilated into the main stream.
You want to be equal in America project yourself think it than be it. for instance I could not tell from your post that you are not an American but that you are black until you said so . So put on the Armour of God principal and don't respond to the people who have been locked into prejudice rather inform them otherwise and be their friend.did you know that all the current races of people in this world came from one family and sailed the same boat. There were 4 males and 4 females . so you see we are all family.observation the N word has power and it is used for Evil that's a personal choice which I made back in 1977.
I guess I will google it.

Assimilation is a beautiful idea but it's easier said then done. Assimilation is a two way street. You have to have somebody trying to assimilate and somebody else willing to accpet that assimilated person into their society. It was easier for white ethnics in the past to assimilate into the WASP culture because all they had to do was change their names and or religion. An catholic Irish man named O'Malley could change his name to Smith and his religion to Protestantism to make it easier for him and his family assimilate in America. A black, Latino, or Arab person can't change their skin color. A black person can dress, walk, talk, and act "white" (whatever that means). Get a great education and a great job all that. But when he tries to catch a cab you think the cab driver is going to see his job title or his college degrees? When he walks into a store and gets "special attention" from the store's staff do you think they'll see how assimilated he looks. When the police stop him because he looks "suspicious," do you think they see how assimilated he looks? I know these are things we like to think doesn't happen anymore, but sadly they do. Then sometimes when somebody brings these things up they get accused of playing the "race card" and is told to stop whining. So yeah assimilation is the goal but no matter how hard a person of a different race tries to assimilate there are moments when the harsh reality that not everybody wants them to assimilate hits them in the face. Like for example when a guy goes to buy syrup at a store and is called the N word by another customer.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#36 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 February 2010 - 03:17 PM, said:

Assimilation is a beautiful idea but it's easier said then done. Assimilation is a two way street. You have to have somebody trying to assimilate and somebody else willing to accpet that assimilated person into their society. It was easier for white ethnics in the past to assimilate into the WASP culture because all they had to do was change their names and or religion. An catholic Irish man named O'Malley could change his name to Smith and his religion to Protestantism to make it easier for him and his family assimilate in America. A black, Latino, or Arab person can't change their skin color. A black person can dress, walk, talk, and act "white" (whatever that means). Get a great education and a great job all that. But when he tries to catch a cab you think the cab driver is going to see his job title or his college degrees? When he walks into a store and gets "special attention" from the store's staff do you think they'll see how assimilated he looks. When the police stop him because he looks "suspicious," do you think they see how assimilated he looks? I know these are things we like to think doesn't happen anymore, but sadly they do. Then sometimes when somebody brings these things up they get accused of playing the "race card" and is told to stop whining. So yeah assimilation is the goal but no matter how hard a person of a different race tries to assimilate there are moments when the harsh reality that not everybody wants them to assimilate hits them in the face. Like for example when a guy goes to buy syrup at a store and is called the N word by another customer.

I disagree with your notion. Americans accept black people, otherwise an African American wouldn't have gotten the popular vote. Yes racism still exist. Prejudice, profiling and stereotypes will always be there, but as a whole, America is getting more and more accepting. Well, for the most part... there are still ethnic groups that are stuck in the 50s, for example, one cab didn't stop for Sam Jackson 10 years ago and black people still can't shut the f*** up about it.

#37 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 02 February 2010 - 03:49 PM, said:

I disagree with your notion.

Really? That's a surprise.

Americans accept black people, otherwise an African American wouldn't have gotten the popular vote.

Obama did not get the vote of every American and an election of one man is not a good example of how America as a whole feel about race. There are Americans that still don't believe and refuse to accept the fact that Obama is an American. So no not ALL Americans accept black people, just most Americans, which is great but far from perfect. Plus he beat John McCain and Sarah Palin after 8 years of George W. Bush during the worst recession in 70 years. Not saying I'm not happy but it wasn't Kennedy beating Nixon in 1960. He just had to make sure he didn't say or do anything really stupid like...suspend his campaign when the shitty economy hit the fan.

Yes racism still exist. Prejudice, profiling and stereotypes will always be there, but as a whole, America is getting more and more accepting. Well, for the most part... there are still ethnic groups that are stuck in the 50s,

Which is pretty much what I said.

for example, one cab didn't stop for Sam Jackson 10 years ago and black people still can't shut the f*** up about it.

Yeah because that's the only time it ever happened. So pretty like I thought stop playing the "race card" and stop whining. I was right.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#38 User is offline   mgjetman Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

My take on this situation is a little different than everyone else. IMO the word n----r can be used to refer to anyone that just wants to n-g off the system.

Example - Lives off welfare , lives off public aid , don't pay child support , lives with mother or grandmother after 25 yrs old , just along for the free ride.
With that being said this word can refer to any race black,white,hispanic,itallion ect . I put itallion in there because I am itallion and consider my own brother as
being a n----r. The guy just don't get it . The world just don't meet anyone of any race half way. So step up and bring something to the table or fall into the other
catagory of n-----g off everyone else that works for a living.

Enough about the N word and back to Dubb's situation.

This could have turned into something much worst than just an ass whoopin.

1 - Guy falls hits his head and dies. I have seen this happen. now Dubbs in jail for rest of life with family left behind.

2 - Guy has gun or friend in car has gun and kills Dubb . Family loses again. There is no winner, and you can see where i'm going with this.

A simple case of thump the drunk could have got ugly and I know it is harder to restrain yourself when you are trying to be the bigger man.

Dubb, it turnes out that he was the real n-g and all I can say is if I were you. I would at least try to wait till this bum takes the first swing
then you are left without a choice and you are defending yourself. Then it's on like donkey kong.
Now you are the one in the right with no family left behind and with all the witnesses confirming your story you have no worries except example # 2.

The law would not care that he called you the N word. If you took the first punch and with knowbody behind the store to confirm your story
try not to get cought up in something like that. It's just a word and you know it doesn't apply to you. This bum will get his trust me.
Unlike you he probably had nothing to loose.

#39 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 February 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yeah because that's the only time it ever happened. So pretty like I thought stop playing the "race card" and stop whining. I was right.

I'm playing the worlds smallest violin for you. A nation with a white majority elected a black leader and that isn't enough for you? Nikka get a grip. The minute the final votes for Obama were tallied, blacks should've been like "Okay, we're even now. Also, we'd like to extend our condolences to all the descendants of Union soldiers who gave their lives for our freedom. Kanye West has personally pledged to set up a scholarship fund in their honor". But it's not enough right? When will black people be happy? Do we need to move the White House to Atlanta? Mint commemorative coins with Jesse Jackson's face on them? Build a Martin Luther King memorial next to the one of Lincoln?

#40 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

The more people don't associate themselves with one race the more I don't dislike them.

I know everyone wants to expediate the disappearance of racism in the world and our country, but it takes time. People are a product of their upbringing and someone who is raised racist isn't going to have an epiphany without something exteme happening. To people living it might not seem like much is happening, but considering the slave trade went on for centuries and the generations these days are increasingly filled with open minded kids, the world is probably going to be fairly acceptably-racist free in the (generationally speaking) near future.

Having said that, for you, right now, I understand that racism pisses you off and why. You'll have to live with it and hopefully your daughter will live with it less. And...you just kicked a dude's ass and I don't know if he'll be more or less racist in private and with friends, but he'll probably be less likely, drunk or sober, to slur someone to their face, so it's fine with me.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users