NYJetsFan.com Forums: Darrelle Revis Discussion *** Mergedx4 *** - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

@DWAZ73 : One other thing: Idzik now has landed arguably No. 1 QB, RB and WR in free agency this offseason despite deliberate approach. #Jets
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:34 PM) Well considering they already retired #28 in honor of Curtis Martin, I don't see Johnson wearing #28.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:35 PM) Kind of defeats the purpose of retiring a number.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:39 PM) But I know he better not wear LaMont Jordan's number. Or I'll be pissed.
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 02:40 PM) Snell
santana Icon : (Today, 02:41 PM) The title race is real
Chaos Icon : (Today, 02:42 PM) Jordan...what number was he? it was 30sometihng
Chaos Icon : (Today, 02:43 PM) tanaka had a great game today. gave up 2 hits due to bunts. 10K
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:48 PM) Jordan was #34 with the Jets.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:03 PM) Tanaka is looking like a stud
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) Jets added Vick, Chris Johnson, and Eric Decker to the offense.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) And this draft is loaded at the offensive skill positions
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) Hopefully we can get anohter starting WR and starting TE in the draft
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:05 PM) Our offense could be much better than last year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:05 PM) can't get much worse than what it's been the last 2 years
santana Icon : (Today, 03:22 PM) Very cool
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:24 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:32 PM) still need another WR
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:33 PM) so i bet powell barely gets any touches this year and goodson gets cut
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:34 PM) Goodson is as good as gone.
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:34 PM) With all his legal issues and coming off injury he is done. Possibly even in the NFL
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:39 PM) Powell is average anyways.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 03:39 PM) @ProFootballTalk 5m

Per source, Chris Johnson's two-year deal has a base value of $8 million, with another $1 million available in incentives based on yardage.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:40 PM) He does a lot of things well, but isn't talented enough. Johnson has breakaway ability still and Ivory is man beast running the football
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) We will get another WR in the draft. Even in round 2 you can get a starting WR
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 04:09 PM) I am still standing by my CB in the first round and WR in the second prediction
santana Icon : (Today, 05:19 PM) The title race is bale
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 05:34 PM) Sidney rice coming in for a visit
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:49 PM) I think the Jets are getting themselves ready to draft best player available
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:49 PM) Last year they stuck to their board
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 06:27 PM) if they sign him I think that means they look to take a CB round 1
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 06:32 PM) “@AdamSchefter: RB Chris Johnson's 2-year deal with Jets has a team option in it for year two. Jets have option to pick up year two at $4M in February 2015.”
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:51 PM) @AlbertBreer 2m
Sidney Rice has agreed to terms with the Seahawks on a one-year deal, per source.
Expand
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:55 PM) There is really only 2 CBs worth taking at 18
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:56 PM) I rather get a offensive playmaker
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:58 PM) LaMont Jordan was 34
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:59 PM) liar
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) He wore #34 when he played for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) I should know I met him at an event in his last year with the JETS before he went to Oakland
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) GFYS 0099 you shit talker
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 07:06 PM) http://www.nydailyne...entry-1.1758342
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 07:06 PM) there's no reason we can't have someone off this site on that list too
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 07:08 PM) Rice resigned with Seattle
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:08 PM) did you scare him into going to Oakland?
Chaos Icon : (Today, 08:18 PM) unfortunately those sites are too much bigger than our
Resize Shouts Area

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Darrelle Revis Discussion *** Mergedx4 ***

#21 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

[quote name='santana' date='03 June 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1275606447' post='303594']
lofl @ honor the contract

get paid
as soon as you can as fast as you can as much as you can

this isnt greed its business its how a capitalized country operates
if you disagree with this sentiment then that sounds more of a personal problem

best corner in the league
if the money is out there and someone is willing to sign the check then by all means you have the right to get it
[/quote]

I've never said honor the contract, or not try to get paid. There's better ways of going about it, IMO.

#22 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

[quote name='Jetsman05' date='03 June 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1275606675' post='303596']
I've never said honor the contract, or not try to get paid. There's better ways of going about it, IMO.
[/quote]

the only better ways are what gets the situation resolved the fastest

IMO.
Posted Image
Damn it huevos rancheros move out the way!

#23 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

[quote name='santana' date='03 June 2010 - 07:16 PM' timestamp='1275606987' post='303598']
the only better ways are what gets the situation resolved the fastest

IMO.
[/quote]

And I don't think this is speeding the process up

IMO!!!!

#24 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

he signed a contract he has to honor it. and its not like he signed a 6th round pick cheap deal and became great, he signed a 14th overall pick and he held out to get what he wanted. now he wants to change? The same way the raiders had to pay russell all that money the players shouldn't get away with this. The NFL should write a rule that prevents players from holding out
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Once it starts affecting his paycheck, Revis will show up. I think the article may be blowing this up more than what it is. Let's take the article at face value. It said he was holding out of today's OTA. It didnt say anything about him holding out any longer. He showed up Wednesday and may show up tomorrow.

While Revis deserves a raise by all means, he's the one that held out initially to get the money he wanted. He got that and now needs to get his ass on the field or else he may find himself in the same situation as Kendall. Rex loves corners and there's no doubt that Revis is the best at his position, but given Rex's love for corners, he could find himself on the outside looking in after this season. The Jets own his rights for two more years and can honestly force a trade to a scrub team where he'd still get his stats but thats about it. If he wants a ring, he'll stay with us.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#26 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

On a day when Darrelle Revis made a definitive statement that he isn’t pleased with his contractual situation, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum admitted that the organization is trying to strike a long-term deal "within reason" for the All-Pro cornerback.

“Shortly after we had lost to the Colts, Rex and I had a conversation with Darrelle telling him how well he’s done for us both on the field and off the field,” Tannenbaum said today. “And that we remain committed to trying to get something done within reason that’s good for Darrelle and good for the team. Hopefully, he’ll be here not only in the short term but long term.”

Although Tannenbaum didn’t delve into specifics, it’s no secret that Revis is looking to become the highest-paid cornerback in the league.

“Darrelle is everything we believe in on and off the field,” Tannenbaum said. “We told him that shortly after the season. We remained committed to that. He’s a foundation for this organization. He’s a role model for our players. He’s really been great. I’m really proud to be the GM that traded up for him. Within reason, we want to sign him to an extension that will keep him here long term.”

Tannenbaum acknowledged the importance of re-working Revis’ rookie deal, but pointed out that the uncertain labor landscape could slow down the process. Revis, who is entering the fourth year of his six-year rookie contract, is scheduled to earn $1 million in 2010. (The Jets could buy back the final two years of the deal).

“There’s a number of good young players that we would like to keep,” Tannenbaum said. “I think one of the challenges (is that) we don’t really know what the rules are moving forward. So when you say is he the priority? Darrelle is certainly a priority… When you do these kinds of extensions, you have to look at the totality of the individual both on the field and off the field. We would like to keep a lot of our players because we feel good about our team and we feel good about the character of the players that we have.”

“Fast forward to March 2011,” the general manager added. “First of all, let’s hope there’s a new CBA. There may not be one. … So I don’t know what the rules are. I don’t know who’s going to be an RFA. I don’t know who’s going to be a UFA. I don’t know if there’s going to be a franchise tag. Maybe there’s none. Maybe there’s five of them. So, those are tremendous challenges that we have as a GM profession right now in managing our teams in such uncertainty…. It’s really hard right now because I don’t know who’s going to be in what class.”

Tannenbaum is a realist. He knows every player seeking a new deal will be satisfied when it’s all said and done.

“Is every player going to be perfectly happy with his contract?” Tannenbaum said. “Being in the business as long as I have now, I think it’s rare for any team to have every player perfectly happy with their contract.”

Tannenbaum didn’t confirm Revis’ earlier position that the team promised him a new deal before the start of the 2010 season.

“We’re committed to making sure he’s here short term and long term,” Tannenbaum said. “If we can find a deal that’s good for both sides, we’d like to get something done. When that happens, that’s hard to say. I’m not a huge deadline guy, because if you say the deadline is at 4 o’clock and at 4:01pm they make a reasonable offer, what does that deadline mean? And I hardly ever try to say that anything’s your last offer for the same reason. Timelines are always tough to estimate.”

Tannenbaum also addressed Nick Mangold’s contract:

“We hopes he’s here long term,” Tannenbaum said. “From a GM’s perspective, you talk about Darrelle Revis, you talk about D’Brickashaw (Ferguson), these guys are everything you hope for on and off the field. So when Nick’s deal gets done… can we come up with something that’s fair and reasonable for both sides? Today? Tomorrow? His deal is very challenging given the rules we have. But he remains a priority too - a top priority.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/06/mike-tannenbaum-hopes-to-get-n.html#ixzz0pqKtP8Im
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

Yeah the deals are tricky right now with the 30% rule, or whatever it is.

#28 User is offline   OldRogue Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Interests:The Old Douche

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

[font="Georgia"][size="3"][i] [quote name='Jetsman05' date='03 June 2010 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1275614686' post='303605']
Yeah the deals are tricky right now with the 30% rule, or whatever it is.
[/quote][/i]

Rules? Rules? Mr. T don't believe in no stinkin rules!

There are ways around this with bonuses, incentives and deferrals. If there's a hole to be found, Tannenbaum will find it.
[/size][/font]
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

heh this isnt college ball

its a pro league
if you want him to be productive on your team you pay him what he desires for his services

thats all there is to it. this is why they hire agents. agents = get me the most money possible. if it requires missing some practices to use as a bargaining chip so be it.

any player who hires an agent then some sort of negotiation or struggle to get more money should be expected. this is why they hire these guys. they might not necessarily agree with what they are doing or how they go about doing it but this is what they are told. if you want money or are unsure of how to operate your value..then you hire an agent and let him deal with that end of the business. we are talking about players who have charitys and are well rounded level headed people. i dunno why im trying to half assely explain this. if it was a perfect world agents wouldnt be hired and players would be payed to a dollar amount per year based on their production and value. this will never be the case.
Posted Image
Damn it huevos rancheros move out the way!

#30 User is offline   TheGreenCoachesClub Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

He just said that Revis may not be on the team. Did you hear him say that? its when he says, twice, "within reason". Within reason means that he's got a limit, and if revis wants more than tanny's limit, something bad is going happen. i dread that tanny's limit is too low for him.

#31 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

We will go out and make the big trade and sign the big name fa, but we wont sign the best player on the team? wtf Jets? comon. I dont care that Tanny said a deal will get done, and i know you start out lower to try to get a steal, but you DONT insult your best player. Because now no matter what hes angry, and will hold that in if you dont give him a better new deal.

This is stupid, we all know he wants top DB money so start there. 16.3 mill per year if your looking for the lowest possible deal, which still probably wont work. Starting under Aso is only going to make Revis angry so even after we resing him he might harbor some resentment or ill will towards the front office. I have never seen a club piss off their own talent so much.

Revis is the best player we have, just pay the man his money and make him happy. There is no way hes playing for 1 mill this year, not happening. And no one use that bs arguement that hes still under contract. Hes under a ROOKIE contract, and 1 mill is not fair for the best CB in the league. This isnt baseball, players cant take teams to arbitration, or even have their contracts garunteed. Yes football players can get some garunteed money, but what happens? they get towards their big roster bonus and they get cut, dont see any of the big money everyone complains about them making. Market value for Revis is around 16.5 mill/year, we are going to have to pay it, period. Its just a matter of how long and how angry we make Revis before Tanny finally pulls the trigger.

BTWs, the player's contracts arent the things driving up ticket prices, its owners not wanting to lose such a high profit from increasing player salaries. The players are just taking their agreed upon percentage under salary cap regulations and CBA agreements.

Please stop pissing everyone off Jets, I wanna see a super bowl title before i die, not every single player we let go win won, ::cough:: Vilma ::cough::
Posted Image

#32 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

[quote name='Jetsman05' date='03 June 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1275596365' post='303577']
How could anyone be "with Revis."

The more he holds out, the more I'm "not with Revis."

No player is bigger then the team. He's under contract, get out there to OTA's, Revis.
[/quote]

Im for Revis, football players have no rights. There is a very small percentage of garunteed money. This isnt baseball where no matter what you get all the money in your contract. If you get injured, like Leon, or you get cut, like Jones, you dont see your full contract. And there is no arbitration so no way to get out of a contract you clearly outpreform unless you holdout.

After seeing what happened to all the other Jets players with this situation, you have to be a selfish business man to think you can hold Revis to 1 mill this year. You have to be moronic to think he will play, and if hes forced to cus he doesnt want to lose money he certainly wont put full effort into it and risk getting injured.

Players in the NFL are used and abused, Revis SHOULD hold out and SHOULD be paid. for Revis to play under the current contract is beyond lunacy. If you think this you signed a contract bs really works, i have a bridge to sell you. You dont do good business by pissing off talent, your product suffers.
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

[quote name='Jetsfan115' date='03 June 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1275611584' post='303602']
he signed a contract he has to honor it. and its not like he signed a 6th round pick cheap deal and became great, he signed a 14th overall pick and he held out to get what he wanted. now he wants to change? The same way the raiders had to pay russell all that money the players shouldn't get away with this. The NFL should write a rule that prevents players from holding out
[/quote]

If you dont want players to hold out, and you want players to honor their contracts, then there has to be a rule for Teams to honor the contracts. If there is a 3 year 5 million dollar deal, no matter what the player receives every penny, even if cut. Then you can have some sort of an arguement. till then, Revis doesnt have to honor a damn thing. He can retire if he was that big on his morals.(that will never come close to happening, just showing how rediculous your statement is). If Revis doesnt wanna play he doesnt have to, he wont get paid, but the Jets wont have his services either.

i cant believe how many fans attack TOP players like this. Its not like Revis is making 10 mill a year and holding out for more, hes making 1 mill this year. Now to me, thats a ton of money. But i dont have an occupation where the avg. lifespan is 3 years, and where the oldest you reasonable go, with the exceptions of guys like Lord Favre and Jerry Rice, to age 33 or 34 before you retire. He is putting his health on the line every paractice and game, hes playing as a the best player at his position, in the biggest city in the world, he deserves top dollar.

seriously people, get a grip. If you tried to hold everyone who outpreformed their contract like this, people would stop comming to your team and/or performing.
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

Don't buy it.

Get in camp, show everyone you want to be with the Jets and let the off the field stuff play itself out. Holding out isn't getting anything done.

#35 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

It's hard to get a deal done with the 30% rule. Let the FO do what they do.

#36 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

True, baseball contracts are ridiculous, you are guaranteed the money if you play or not... Sucks if you sign a bum and he never even gets on the field and you are still paying him 60 mil, like a Carl Pavano.

It would be nice if Revis was on the field but all I hope is that they get a deal done before training camp, I hope this doesn't get too ugly. I am not too worried about it right now though.
Posted Image

#37 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

[quote name='S-Dubb' date='03 June 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1275602302' post='303590']
[b] [/b]
[indent]

[/indent]
[/quote]

Not buying all those quotes, we'll see...
Posted Image

#38 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

from Cimini:

There's an interesting side note to the Darrelle Revis situation, as mentioned by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and The Sporting News. According to Florio, who writes that he has a copy of Revis' contract, there's language in the deal that states the star cornerback would arguably jeopardize $20 million in guarantees if he skips a mandatory minicamp or holds out from training camp. He wouldn't lose the money, just the guarantee.

Quick background: When Revis' original contract voids after the 2010 season, the Jets can buy back the 2011 and 2012 seasons for $5 million and $15 million, respectively -- and that money is guaranteed. It's all part of the complicated contract he signed as a rookie in 2007, a contract that took an acrimonious, three-week holdout to produce.

If Florio's assertion is accurate, Revis would lose a considerable amount of leverage. Yes, he could still skip the upcoming minicamp (June 14-16) and/or not show up for training camp, but that $20 million wouldn't be guaranteed anymore. Obviously, a player of his caliber wouldn't have to worry about getting cut, but there's always the possibility of a career-ending injury. Would he be willing to take that chance? He'd have to think twice (or three times) before staging a training-camp holdout, which also would result in a $16,000-per-day fine.

More fodder for the discussion. I'll have more later on Revis.
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

I may be ringing in a little late on this but there have been numerous poists in this thread where people are saying Revis should hold out because of what happened to Leon. Can everyone PLEASE stop with that bullshit? Leon was offered his money. He turned it down like a dumbass and he got himself hurt instead of paid. He was due to make 500K and the Jets offered him 8 times that much. He turned it down and in the long run f#cked himself.

If you want use anyone as an example, it should be Kendall but get off of the poor Leon shit already. Revis deserves to get paid but holding out is only going to hurt him in the long run because now he starts to look like a greedy little prick. He held out for 3 weeks before reporting as a rookie to get the deal he wanted. He got the deal he wanted. Now he needs to get his ass out ont he field and perform under the contract he held out to get during negotiations on an extension. He better keep in mind that the Jets can still own him for a total of 21 million for the next 3 seasons. He really has no leverage in the situation.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#40 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

[quote name='FlyHiJets' date='04 June 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1275671199' post='303620']
I may be ringing in a little late on this but there have been numerous poists in this thread where people are saying Revis should hold out because of what happened to Leon. Can everyone PLEASE stop with that bullshit? Leon was offered his money. He turned it down like a dumbass and he got himself hurt instead of paid. He was due to make 500K and the Jets offered him 8 times that much. He turned it down and in the long run f#cked himself.

If you want use anyone as an example, it should be Kendall but get off of the poor Leon shit already. Revis deserves to get paid but holding out is only going to hurt him in the long run because now he starts to look like a greedy little prick. He held out for 3 weeks before reporting as a rookie to get the deal he wanted. He got the deal he wanted. Now he needs to get his ass out ont he field and perform under the contract he held out to get during negotiations on an extension. He better keep in mind that the Jets can still own him for a total of 21 million for the next 3 seasons. He really has no leverage in the situation.
[/quote]

Leon was offered a shitty contract below his worth, just like Revis just was. Therefore Leon didnt turn down his contract, he turned down a bad one. He didnt hold out and waited for him to be paid what he should and he never got it, so it is very relevant.
Posted Image

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users