NYJetsFan.com Forums: >>>>>>>> Darrelle Revis Discussion <<<<<<<< - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:55 AM) Like how do you get blown out by a team that didn't practice while you had 2 weeks to prepare?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:55 AM) That kind of stuff may force Woody to make the big changes and fire everyone
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:55 AM) John Idzik has handled the QB situation terribly. 2 times he pretty much handed the job to his draft pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:56 AM) Besides Sheldon Richardson, his drafts have been awful.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 AM) Maybe Woody will clean house and go all out for Jim Harbaugh, that probably won't happen though but it would be a franchise changer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:07 AM) Harbaugh would be amazing...but because it makes sense it won't be done
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:07 PM) Rocking the atletico kit today 4-0 THE RAUL INFLUENCE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:15 PM) Haha you should make that into some kind of logo and put it in your sig
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:15 PM) Sig***
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:19 PM) TEH RAUL INFLUENCE
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:29 PM) LUDOGRETS
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) LUDOGORETS
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:29 PM) TEH IZDIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:29 PM) SUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:29 PM) FOR
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:29 PM) THE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:29 PM) DUCK
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 09:32 PM) One of these days one of you are going to type it too fast and say "Suck the Duck".
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:41 PM) Hahaha
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:45 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:04 AM) TEH POINT
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:14 AM) happy thanksgiving everyone!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:53 PM) I hope Dirty Sanchez gets beat by the Cowgirls even though I would prefer to see a tie so neither team wins
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:00 PM) Look at what a great system can do for a QB, Sanchez looks like a different QB with the Eagles.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:00 PM) Scanning the field and making quick decisions, I like how Chip has Sanchez throwing on the run which he was always great at.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:01 PM) I really hope we finally bring in a good offensive minded coach.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 05:45 PM) I really can't wait for this season to be done and over with
Resize Shouts Area

• (19 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

>>>>>>>> Darrelle Revis Discussion <<<<<<<<

#201 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

[quote name='santana' date='13 August 2010 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1281738153' post='307794']
Well said

mrjet are people really this gullible?
Lofl
[/quote]

Sadly yes.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#202 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

[quote name='VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs' date='13 August 2010 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1281722340' post='307779']
You are aware that there is a thing called the salary cap right? Or at least there will be. That's the issue. Who cares if it's for five years or ten years, once the cap is back in place it's gonna be ridiculously hard to pay a guy that kind of money who's not your quarterback. Not to mention that no one has any way of knowing what the cap will be when it comes back.
[/quote]

I am aware that there is a Hoax and that this is a game . there is no cap this year but suspiciously the owners are acting as if there is one.remember millions vs billions are at stake. this is scripted . do you know joey Ventaloro ?I do we are classmates.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#203 User is offline   J-E-T-S 4417 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

A fairly slow Sunday afternoon has been spiced up by a Twitter conflict regarding the question of whether the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis are close to getting a deal done.

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, Revis failed to show up for the start of training camp three weeks ago.

It all started with a tweet from Tim Cowlishaw, a sports writer who doesn't focus on football and who has become best known for his work on ESPN's Around The Horn. In a message with the tone that we're used to seeing from the OCNN, Cowlishaw writes, "Revis and Jets announce new deal, probably Wednesday. You heard it here first. 'Inside information!'"

In a follow up, Cowlishaw writes, "I was told they will announce it this week, not [definitely] Wednesday but probably Wednesday. This person has never been wrong."

But there's a first time for everything. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News writes that the team and Revis "have no plans" to announce a contract this week. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that she has "confirmed" that the Cowlishaw tweet isn't true.

It remains to be seen how this one plays out. Rosenthal thinks Cowlishaw's Twitter account may have been hacked. I think that Cowlishaw simply wants a little attention, given that everyone has been talking about one of his ATH colleagues.

#204 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

BobGlauber

I believe @TimCowlishaw's Twitter account has NOT been hacked & that he is indeed reporting that Revis/Jets are close. Will explain further. half a minute ago via web
Posted Image

#205 User is offline   extmenace Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

ohhhh shit! great news. hopefully it's a reasonable deal although something is telling me it isn't going to be a long term deal...probably just a massive raise for the 3 years left on his contract.

Really hope this is true...this whole revis BS is getting pretty damn annoying.

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady

17 POINTS!

#206 User is offline   518-JeTS-FaN Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:family, football, life and gaming hit me up on ps3 MTYSON

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

I hope its true, i'd just like to see revis back

#207 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

8 m ago By Bob Glauber

Ok, first of all, I'm just going to say that this is one of the most bizarro reporting jobs I've ever done in journalism, and is reflective of the wacky world of communication we live in. So bear with me if it takes a little while to get it all out.

Let's start here:

In a post on his Twitter account at around 3:30 p.m., Dallas Morning News columnist Tim Cowlishaw wrote: "Revis and Jets announce new deal, probably Wednesday. You heard it here first. "Inside information!""

This was a stunning revelation, given the secretive nature of talks since the two sides agreed not to speak publicly about negotiations. And there have been a few follow-up tweets by Jets beat reporters, including @TheJetsStream (Manish Mehta of the Daily News) and @JennyVrentas (of the Star-Ledger), as well as ESPN's @Adam_Schefter suggesting that the report is not accurate.

There was also some speculation from Profootballtalk.com's @GreggRosenthal that Cowlishaw's account was hacked.

Well, I can say with reasonable assurance that Cowlishaw's account has NOT been hacked. How? Well, I tweeted Cowlishaw and asked "is that really you saying that Revis signing is imminent?"

I also called Cowlishaw on his cell phone, but did not get a call back. However, I did get the following back.

"@BobGlauber Read what I wrote, Cubby (so u know it's me). Did I say imminent or announcement probably will be wednesday?"

The key word in here: "Cubby." That's the nickname I gave to Cowlishaw years ago when he was a beat reporter covering the Cowboys. So if Cowlishaw's Twitter account had been hacked, then it would have been an awfully unusual coincidence for said hacker to know that this is what I call Cowlishaw.

So rest assured that Cowlishaw is, in fact, reporting that a deal is close and could be announced as soon as Wednesday. (btw, Cubby, what the hell's the difference between "imminent" and "announcement will probably be wednesday?")

Now, is this really the case that a deal is close and could be announced Wednesday, when the Jets will hold an open practice at their old training camp at Hofstra? We're about to find out.

In the meantime, the only two sides with direct knowledge of the negotiations are holding to their posture of not speaking publicly. There is radio silence from the Jets and Revis' agents, Jonathan Feinsod and Neil Schwartz.

(Now, for more bizarro world of new media: You can only read this is you subscribe to Newsday or Cablevision. But we know of two media members - Brian Bassett of TheJetsblog.com and Rosenthal of PFT - who do subscribe. Which means that they'll eventually get the word out, that I'll be getting a few more Twitter followers along the way, that Cubby Cowlishaw will get more followers, too, and that the rest of the country might soon be calling this highly respected columnist "Cubby" for the rest of his career ... what a world!)
Posted Image

#208 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

I find it strange that the story has been leaked to a journalist for a paper in Dallas. Therefore I wouldn't read too much into this at present. Still, if it is true then it's great, great news.

#209 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

mortreport

I did just speak to @timcowlishaw. That is his account. Nobody hacked it. He stands by story Revis deal will get done this week. 6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

On Revis, even though Jets sources deny what @timcowlishaw is reporting; I hesitate to shoot down a very respected journalist like Tim. 20 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Peter King twitter
I am told nothing is happening with Revis. Could be Tim has it from horse's mouth. But I def don't discount it because Tim's good. 8 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Posted Image

#210 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

[b][url="http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/08/22/buzz-cowlishaw-expects-jets-revis-to-announce-deal/"]Buzz: Cowlishaw Expects Jets, Revis to Announce Deal[/url][/b]
By [url="http://twitter.com/weeks216"]E. Weeks[/url] on 22. Aug, 2010

[b]Update[/b]: It appears Cowlishaw’s [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4155&line=178938&spln=1"]account was possibly hacked[/url]. Regardless, we are still back to the Wait and See game just as we had been before.

[b]Update II[/b]: Bob Glauber reports that [url="http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=E243CDA9549BCC5CE3B9.2858?site=newsday&view=sports_blogs_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports_blogs&feed:i=1.2230067"]Cowlishaw’s account was not hacked[/url] (Newsday Mobile link): [i]The key word in here: “Cubby.” That’s the nickname I gave to Cowlishaw years ago when he was a beat reporter covering the Cowboys. So if Cowlishaw’s Twitter account had been hacked, then it would have been an awfully unusual coincidence for said hacker to know that this is what I call Cowlishaw.[/i] And the back and forth continues.

[b]Update III[/b]: [url="http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/21863011301"]Mort confirms Cowlishaw’s stance on Revis[/url] contract after speaking with him. However Florio has miraculously [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/22/mangold-not-revis-is-the-jet-whos-close-to-getting-a-new-deal/"]turned this into a story that involves Nick Mangold[/url] and how he will instead be receiving the contract.

Tim Cowlishaw has [url="http://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw/status/21853741962"]reported via Twitter[/url] that the Jets and Revis are expected to announce a deal on Wednesday however this notion is being vehemently shot down. Let the speculation begin!

[indent]Revis and Jets announce new deal, probably Wednesday. You heard it here first. “Inside information!”

[/indent]
According to the Jets beat reporters, this is nothing more than fluff and as Manish pointed the Jets and HBO [url="http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream/status/21856596217"]aren’t scheduled to have a Revis contract announcement[/url] on Hard Knocks however Cowlishaw is defending his position and appears quite confident concerning the matter:

[indent]@[url="http://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw"]TimCowlishaw[/url] If you are pulling the chains of 1000s of jets fans, they are ready to hate you and this can ruin your reputation. Just sayin’

@[url="http://twitter.com/BrittSlovak"]BrittSlovak[/url] and what would I possibly gain by doing that? My source said should be announced wed. i have every reason to believe.

@[url="http://twitter.com/NickSpano"]NickSpano[/url] i was told they will announce it this week, not def wednesday but probably wednesday. This person has never been wrong.

[/indent]

#211 User is offline   CJBallar01 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

[b]Mangold, not Revis, is the Jet who's close to getting a new deal[/b]
Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2010 6:34 PM ET[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/NFL_mangold.jpg"][img]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/08/NFL_mangold-thumb-250x185-17220.jpg[/img][/url]With Tim Cowlishaw [url="http://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw/status/21858513641"]continuing to insist[/url] that the Jets could be getting a deal done with cornerback [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4155"]Darrelle Revis[/url], we can now say with a very high if not absolute degree of certainty that Cowlishaw is in the right church, but that he's perched in the wrong pew.

No progress has been made between the Jets and Revis. Andrea Kremer of NBC reports from the pre-game sidelines in San Francisco that, indeed, there is no truth to the Internet chatter of Revis getting a new deal this week. (We've separately confirmed that nothing is going on right now between the Jets and Revis, not that Andrea's report needed confirmation.)

The progress is being made, we're told by multiple sources, between the Jets and center [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3647"]Nick Mangold[/url].

Mangold is one of the so-called "Core Four" players who, according to Revis, believe they were promised new deals. So far, only left tackle [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3620"]D'Brickashaw Ferguson[/url] has gotten one. (The other is linebacker [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4197"]David Harris[/url], who has to be feeling a little like Shemp Howard right now.)

Revis held out, and Mangold opted not to do so. He said earlier this month that he's "[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/09/nick-mangold-not-happy-but-will-play-for-33-million/"]not happy about[/url]" his situation, but that he decided to play out the final year of his rookie contract, at a base salary $3.3 million.

It doesn't mean a new deal will be done this week, or for that matter this year. But progress is being made between the Jets and Mangold, and the Jets apparently are motivated to make something happen before the next episode of [i]Hard Knocks[/i].

To find out whether it all happens, stay tuned. To PFT. Or NBC. Or HBO. Or all three.

#212 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

Tim Cowlishaw tweeted this now.

@Jets321 yeah I don't know the difference between mangold and revis. Please... 14 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to Jets321
Posted Image

#213 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

This is what some guy is tweeting, Nick Spano

evis will get done, im 100% sure, not sure if its wednesday, but then Harris next offseason.... Franchise either Cro/BE/Holmes .. sign 1/2 about 2 hours ago via web

thats GREAT GREAT news that much like DBricks contract, Mangold doesnt get much upfront money, REVIS wants MOST upfront, hmm more good news. about 2 hours ago via web

I LOVE how all the Local TV/Writers are SCRAMBLING for @Revis24 news, wow they are really hoping @TimCowlishaw isnt true. about 1 hour ago via web

@e_man Yeah, me too, i think Tim Cowlishaw's source is involved in hardknocks, as you know, the Jets and Revis camp are not leaking anything about 1 hour ago via web in reply to e_man

@VIVALASANCHEZ6 ... @TimCowlishaw is too well respected, and established to have nothing on the @Revis front, SOMETHING will happen. 9 minutes ago via web
Posted Image

#214 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Adam_Schefter

Someone as experienced as Tim should not be dismissed RT @TimCowlishaw: yeah I don't know the difference between mangold and revis. Please. 9 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter
Posted Image

#215 User is offline   Goodfellaz Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

That'd be awesome if the Mangold deal was a precursor to Revis signing. I wonder if they needed to see if Mangold would take less up front in order to allow Revis more up front to balance out the long term cap hits?
Posted Image

#216 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

• Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

It'll be good if we do get his deal done this week as long as the team is NOT giving him what he wants because that WILL seriously hamper our odds of keeping everyone we want/need to in the next couple of years. Wilson may not have been tested much over the two preseason games but apparently he's been holding it down pretty good.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#217 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:07 AM

AS PER MORT: On Revis, even though Jets sources deny what @timcowlishaw is reporting; I hesitate to shoot down a very respected journalist like Tim. about 8 hours ago via TweetDeck

#218 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:28 AM

[size="4"][quote][b]Mike Tannenbaum's[/b] "Things-to-do" list, created last Janaury:

Contract extension for [b]D'Brickashaw Ferguson[/b]: Check.

Contract extension for [b]Nick Mangold[/b]: Check.

New contract for [b]Darrelle Revis[/b]: Checkmate?

The news Sunday that the New York Jets are close to a long-term extension for Mangold is a win for Mangold and a win for the Jets -- in more ways than one. Not only do they lock up one of their best players, but it bolsters the Jets' case against Revis. Now who's being unreasonable?

Obviously, the Jets are in a deal-making mode. I haven't seen the numbers on the Mangold deal, but this was a difficult contract to negotiate because of the 30 percent rule. (The rule states that, in an uncapped year, a player's salary in an extension can't increase by more than 30 percent of his previous year's pay.) If the Jets were able to clear that hurdle, satisfying Mangold, why can't it happen with Revis?

Chances are, Mangold accepted a deal with "rolling" guarantees, a la Ferguson. Revis wants no part of that kind of deal; he wants fully guaranteed money (i.e. a huge signing bonus). It's his right to ask for that, but his leverage is diminishing. Remember, he has three years left on his contract, so there's no sense of urgency for the Jets.

You know when there's a sense of urgency? If the defense gets torched by the Baltimore Ravens on opening night, that's when the leverage shifts to Revis. Is he willing to hold out that long? Is he willing to take that chance? He might have to because, barring an injury at cornerback, the Jets are showing no signs of buckling.

In the spring, the Jets were accused of being cheap, strapped for cash because of lagging PSL sales. That, some media types theorized, was holding up the deals for the "Core Four." (The fourth is [b]David Harris[/b], who is entering the final year of his rookie deal.) At the time, the Jets were saying they had budgeted enough money to sign all four to new deals. Not many believed them, but now they've taken care of Ferguson and Mangold.

If it were just one, you could call it a fluke. But two? Those players were willing to take the Jets' money. Why not Revis?[/quote][/size]

#219 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

Tim Cowlishaw / Columnist E-mail News tips

On Sunday, I had no column scheduled to write for the Morning News. I didn't need to overdose on sports in order to get ready for a week of "Around the Horn" on ESPN because the show is on vacation all week.

Other than Skype-ing my daughter for her 19th birthday and taking my son to the driving range, I didn't have any grand plans. The only thing I was going to "tweet" about was how much I liked the first 75-80 pages of a novel called "Shadow of the Wind."

My quiet day ended when I obtained some information early in the afternoon about Darrelle Revis, the Jets' fabulous cornerback who has been holding out from camp in order to get a new contract.

The source of information was good, someone I have used before. Beyond that, I won't go into further details.

Originally I was told the signing would be "probably Wednesday or Saturday." That seemed strange that there would be a possible range of three days in the situation.

But when I found out one other aspect of the story that made me believe it had to be true, Wednesday made a lot more sense than Saturday. Since the 140-character nature of Twitter doesn't lend itself to expanding on one's thoughts, I just typed "probably Wednesday."

Even limiting myself to that, "probably Wednesday" sounded weird, like I was hedging my bets. I wasn't trying to suggest there's a deal-breaker involved, but who knows? Things of that nature happen all the time. Still, I felt like "probably Wednesday" was the most accurate information I could provide at the time.

Once that one tweet was out there, my chances of getting much of the day off were shot (although I did manage to squeeze in three games at Top Golf with Ben and I didn't forget to skype Rachel).

It didn't surprise me that my information was getting shot down right and left by those covering the Jets. As a beat writer covering the Cowboys for six years, I did a lot of "shooting down" and this was in the early days of ESPN and long before the world was wired and Twitter came along.

I talked to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and the New York Daily News' Gary Myers on the phone, a couple of guys I have known for 20 years or more. I exchanged texts or, in some cases, tweets with others I have had long relationships with.

They were supportive if curious as to how this information was coming from a Dallas-based general columnist. Understandably curious.

As for those who said I was making it up to get more followers: Does that sound like a good thing to do? I've worked for The Dallas Morning News for more than 20 years, ESPN for another seven. Is just making stuff up and having no clue about it a big part of my history?

Getting predictions wrong, yeah, I've done that two or three times. Two or three thousand times, I mean.

Throwing stuff against the wall with no idea whether or not it might stick? Not a real good way to maintain any shred of credibility.

The messages coming in from Jets' fans were pretty much non-stop and the only surprising thing about any of that was how many of them seemed to suggest they didn't think Revis would sign until well into the season, if at all.

How often does that happen? How often does that work?

Emmitt Smith got extra guaranteed money by sitting two games in 1993. But that was the league MVP-to-be and he had to get somewhat lucky in rolling the dice that the Cowboys would go 0-2 to Washington and Buffalo and that Coach Jimmy Johnson would go so crazy about it that Jerry Jones would have no choice but to cave in.

As great a player as Revis is, that's a big gamble to take.

Regardless, it does not appear that he is going to roll those dice. All signs indicate that the Revis saga, a major storyline for HBO's "Hard Knocks'' special on the Jets, ends this week.

And then I can tweet more about "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon ... even if it doesn't quite reach the same audience that Darrelle Revis does.
Posted Image

#220 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Revis is gonna have 1 hour special on ESPN to announce his signing
Get it done MT
Posted Image

• (19 Pages)