NYJetsFan.com Forums: Espn's John Clayton Evaluates Potential Franchise Quarterbacks - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

santana Icon : (11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM) http://i.imgur.com/mn7uxIi.jpg
santana Icon : (11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM) need to get that suarez jersey
santana Icon : (11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM) streets is real
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 July 2014 - 08:25 PM) FIRE SANTANA
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 July 2014 - 08:25 PM) He's the reason we have nothing to talk about
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 09:40 AM) Plenty to talk about I'm sure
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 09:40 AM) You guys just suck at it
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM) http://fc04.devianta...a8d-d67yh5n.jpg
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM) Talk about that.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:36 PM) THE BEETS!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:38 PM) Ah eeh ooh, Killer tofu. (Eeyae.)
Oooh eeh ooh, Killer tofu!
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 04:14 PM) bravo
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) I saw on my Facebook newsfeed that Hey Dude was going to be on 90s Nick tonight.
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM) http://www.reddit.co...n_how_about_an/
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM) David Nelson back on reddit answering questions
blk_orion Icon : (15 July 2014 - 10:22 AM) thanks for that nelson info, my fam originate from Haiti, have fam here doing tons of missions from NY and FL.
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:44 AM) yeah he seems like a very honest person
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) if it wasn't for that injury he suffered in buffalo he would be much more recognized
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) top lad solid pro tough as hell
Mr_Jet Icon : (15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM) http://media-cache-a...0fa7d5eef52.jpg
santana Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:11 AM) TITTIES
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:37 AM) ^I 2nd that
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 July 2014 - 08:54 PM) ***crickets***
RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Espn's John Clayton Evaluates Potential Franchise Quarterbacks

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

ESPN's John Clayton evaluates potential franchise quarterbacks
Aug
8/19/2010 3:41:13 PM
| More

John Clayton of ESPN.com writes that, like Brett Favre, he skipped Vikings training camp. Without Brett it wouldn't have been worth the travel investment. Instead he traveled to Jets camp, to Lions camp, and to Rams camp to get a look at probably the three most-promising franchise quarterbacks of the future-Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford, and Sam Bradford.

Clayton speculated that Sanchez may be the least talented of the three but he is also the quarterback most likely to be the most successful of the three early in his career.

Why? The Jets are loaded on offense.

Like Ben Roethlisberger with the Steelers in 2004, Sanchez came to the right team at the right time. The reason is the supporting cast. Newcomers Santonio Holmes and LaDainian Tomlinson add a 50-plus-reception wideout and an accomplished pass-catching running back to a receiving corps that also has Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and tight end Dustin Keller.
Clayton talks about the"Theory of 50"-a good offense will have a combined rushing attempts with completed passes itotaling 48-50. Agreat offense would have 52. Sanchez was a raw rookie last year but he averaged 13 completions per game and the Jets averaged 38 rushing attempts per game. Despite a raw rookie passer, that 51 attempts and completions went a long way towards getting the Jets into the AFC Championship game.

This year should be even better. In addition to Sanchez's own improvement, he has five player capable of 50 catch seasons. Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes should be extra-motivated as they are on one-year contracts. It would be surprising is Sanchez didn't complete at least 60% o9f his passes'

Stafford has a stronger arm than Sanchez, but it will take him a couple more seasons to come close to being as successful. As the first pick in the 2009 draft, he landed on a Detroit Lions team that went 0-16 the year before. As a rookie, he was doomed from the start. Stafford completed 20 passes a game, but he was usually playing from behind and was constantly pressured. His completion percentage was 53.3. He threw 20 interceptions and only 13 touchdowns.This year, the Lions went out and got him some help. In addition to All-World receiver Calvin Johnson, Thr Lions acquired tight end Tony Scheffler and wide receiver Nate Burleson. It is difficult, however, to see this cast put up 50 pass completions/ running attempts per game.

And then there's 2010 overall No.1 pick Sam Bradford.Bradford has one of the best running backs in the game but a pretty anonymous receiving corps. There are no Calvin Johnsons here. There isn't a solid pass-catching tight end. Bradford has uncanny accuracy and touch on his throws but his receivers are rarely open and he plays behind a suspect offensive line. the "Theory of 50" seems a long way away in St. Louis.

Bradford and Stafford don't show any signs of jealousy, but they sure wouldn't mind being in Sanchez's shoes behind center.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   SoReALSoJetS Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:THE JETS

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

great post!
"SO REAL SO JETS"
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

This is a nice piece but Clayton doesn't mention the fact that as far as QBs go, playing from the "neck up" is just as important as having a strong and accurate arm. The things that Stafford and Brodford have is time. Sanchez is expected, at the very least, to take the Jets to the playoffs. That's a lot of pressure on a guy 4 years removed from high school. How Sanchez handles all the diversity, the downs that will come if the Jets stumble out of the gate, the NY media comparing him to Namath or Eli... that will go along way to showing us where he'll be. Like Marty said on Hard Knocks "You know what I say about second year QBs, if you got a guy and in his second year he's performed like he did as a rookie, you made progress".

#4 User is offline   JSOTF Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

So....Jamarcus Russel has a better arm then all them? What happened to him?

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

I don't get how Sam Bradford is more talented than Mark Sanchez? I think Sanchez is more talented, he is more athletic back there and probably has a stronger arm too.

I don't get why so many people seem to think Mark isn't a talented QB, I have seen so many people say how he has a weak arm and can't make the throws. Not to mention the other factors he has, being a athlete back there and having great footwork and ability to throw on the run.

I was watching first take the other day and some guy started questioning if Mark could throw downfield, so my guess is that he didn't watch him last season. Even Skip Bayless started saying how the least of his worries are with Mark's arm strength, that he has a above average NFL arm, he questions Mark's mental toughness.

I also find it funny how Dolphin fans always compare Mark with Pennington, they think he struggled last year because he has a weak arm instead of why he really struggle which was reading NFL defenses and throwing to the left, point is it wasn't his lack of arm strength.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Goodfellaz Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

[quote name='Jetsfan0099' date='20 August 2010 - 08:03 PM' timestamp='1282349019' post='308284']
I don't get how Sam Bradford is more talented than Mark Sanchez? I think Sanchez is more talented, he is more athletic back there and probably has a stronger arm too.

I don't get why so many people seem to think Mark isn't a talented QB, I have seen so many people say how he has a weak arm and can't make the throws. Not to mention the other factors he has, being a athlete back there and having great footwork and ability to throw on the run.

I was watching first take the other day and some guy started questioning if Mark could throw downfield, so my guess is that he didn't watch him last season. Even Skip Bayless started saying how the least of his worries are with Mark's arm strength, that he has a above average NFL arm, he questions Mark's mental toughness.

I also find it funny how Dolphin fans always compare Mark with Pennington, they think he struggled last year because he has a weak arm instead of why he really struggle which was reading NFL defenses and throwing to the left, point is it wasn't his lack of arm strength.
[/quote]

I agree.....and dude....you might have the best signature EVER on this site right now haha
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

well not many QB's can throw like manning,brady and favre. Sanchez has so many coaches and players around him to support him mentally & emotionally .he should be fine.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#8 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

All these guys said the same nonsense about Brees until he took the league by storm.

The reason these guys (Clayton and sports writers) talk down about Sanchez is because of his size. People from the beginning of time have go bonkers over attributes, you know, you've heard them a million times.

tall, rocket arm.

When your shorter then 6'4 and don't have a gun like Jamarcus Russel then you don't have that awesome potential. Bullsh*t and I'm sick of that stereotype. They reason he says Bradford is more talented is because Bradford fits the bill for the prerequisite Q.B. Big and tall.

If your shorter and more athletic then you have something to prove, where they just feel tall, big Q.Bs are supposed to succeed.

IMO, I think Sanchez is going to be a stud in this league. He has the mental makeup, he wants to be great, he has the work ethic, he's smart and determind. Along with good underrated arm and good accuracy. Do Stafford and Bradford possess all of these things? I don't know.

#9 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Way too early to compare those 3.

#10 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

[quote name='Jetsfan0099' date='21 August 2010 - 01:03 AM' timestamp='1282349019' post='308284']

[b]I don't get why so many people seem to think Mark isn't a talented QB[/b], I have seen so many people say how he has a weak arm and can't make the throws. Not to mention the other factors he has, being a athlete back there and having great footwork and ability to throw on the run.

[/quote]

Clayton isn't saying that though, just that he thinks - in terms of potential talent - Stafford and Bradford are slightly better. That is arguably so given that a lot of analysts believed Bradford would have gone #1 overall had he come out a year earlier.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users