NYJetsFan.com Forums: Mangold Gets New Deal - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM) David Nelson back on reddit answering questions
blk_orion Icon : (15 July 2014 - 10:22 AM) thanks for that nelson info, my fam originate from Haiti, have fam here doing tons of missions from NY and FL.
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:44 AM) yeah he seems like a very honest person
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) if it wasn't for that injury he suffered in buffalo he would be much more recognized
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) top lad solid pro tough as hell
Mr_Jet Icon : (15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM) http://media-cache-a...0fa7d5eef52.jpg
santana Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:11 AM) TITTIES
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:37 AM) ^I 2nd that
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 July 2014 - 08:54 PM) ***crickets***
RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (Yesterday, 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mangold Gets New Deal 7 year / 55 mill

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5484723

With the Darrelle Revis holdout dominating headlines for three weeks, the New York Jets quietly have been negotiating a long-term extension for All-Pro center Nick Mangold.

The two sides are close to a new deal that likely will make Mangold the highest-paid center in the league, league sources told ESPN.com.

"It should be any day now," a source close to Mangold said Sunday night.

A Jets spokesman would not confirm the deal.

Mangold, a first-round pick in 2006, is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Because of an escalator, he's due to make $3.3 million. In the spring and leading into training camp, Mangold expressed his displeasure with his contract, saying the two sides had barely spoken to each other. At one point, Mangold hinted that he might not show up for training camp.

GM Mike Tannenbaum, in a stalemate with the Revis camp, turned his attention toward Mangold, one of the team's core veterans. Details of the contract weren't immediately available, but the benchmark is believed to be Jason Brown of the St. Louis Rams. In 2009, Brown signed a five-year, $37.5 million deal that included $20 million in guarantees.

Mangold's deal has been complicated by the 30 percent rule in the CBA, but the two sides evidently found common ground and worked around the restrictions. The 30 percent rule states that, in an uncapped year, a player's salary in an extension can't be more than 30 percent of his previous year's salary.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

An undisclosed source (within the Jets organization) requesting annonymity has told SNY that the Mangold deal could be completed by this tuesday: 5 years 37.5 mil (highest paid C in the league)

[b]Also, the same source told Jets Nation on SNY that the Mangold deal might get Revis to the signing table as early as [u]NEXT WEEK

[/u][/b]Good for Nick. He did it the right way. Total class all the way through. Thank you Tanny for realizing Nick's loyalty to the team and paying him accordingly.

#3 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Going to be honest, this signifies to me that the Jets know that the Revis deal might not get done anytime soon... if ever.

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with Revis, they always wanted Mangold long term and was a priority to get signed but difficult because of the rules, they always had a open line of communication, but all it takes is 1 call to spark the fire.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

By Manish Mehta

Nick Mangold is about to land a hefty payday.

The All-Pro center is close to signing a new deal, according to multiple sources. The extension is expected to be finalized in the next few days.

Although Darrelle Revis’ three-week long holdout has grabbed the headlines, Mangold appears to be the next member of the Jets’ “Core Four” to get a contract extension. Left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson signed a 6-year, $60 million extension last month.

Mangold, who is scheduled to earn $3.3 million in the final year of his five-year rookie deal, will likely get a contract comparable to St. Louis Rams center Jason Brown’s five-year, $37.5 million deal signed last year.

Revis and linebacker David Harris, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal, are still looking for new deals.

Mangold, of course, made no secret that he wasn’t happy with the slow pace of negotiations this offseason. Despite the stalled contract talks, Mangold recently admitted that he decided after the team’s June mini-camp that he wasn't going to hold out of training camp.

His desire to help second-year pro Matt Slauson and rookie Vlad Ducasse in their competition for vacant left guard spot factored into his decision to show up to Cortland.

"They need all the help they can get," Mangold said earlier this month. “As a team, we're only as good as our weakest link. There's no reason we should have a weak link at offensive line."

In the end, the Jets rewarded him.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/all-pro-center-nick-mangold-cl.html#ixzz0xNwfQsmm
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

[quote name='Jetsfan0099' date='22 August 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1282523648' post='308390']
I don't think this has anything to do with Revis, they always wanted Mangold long term and was a priority to get signed but difficult because of the rules, they always had a open line of communication, but all it takes is 1 call to spark the fire.
[/quote]

Wait, difficult because of the rules? You serious? There was nothign holding back, obviously the found a way to do it if he's going to be the highest paid center in the league.

I think they are starting to look at the loyal players, as players they need to pay and keep around. I wouldn't be surprised if after this deal is announced, we hear Jets and Harris talk... even if it isn't true.

It's gutcheck time on Revis and his camp.

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

[quote name='Jetsman05' date='22 August 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1282525617' post='308394']
Wait, difficult because of the rules? You serious? There was nothign holding back, obviously the found a way to do it if he's going to be the highest paid center in the league.

I think they are starting to look at the loyal players, as players they need to pay and keep around. I wouldn't be surprised if after this deal is announced, we hear Jets and Harris talk... even if it isn't true.

It's gutcheck time on Revis and his camp.
[/quote]

The rules and why it was difficult to sign Mangold and Harris are not new news so I am not going to explain them, but yes it was making it tougher to extend Mangold. Tannenbaum has been clear with that for a while, it wasn't impossible to get done but more difficult than the usual contract. He has said that if his agent called with something creative they would talk and obviously that may of happened.

This doesn't mean they aren't extending Revis or that Revis is now on the outs, Mangold was always a guy they wanted extended. So if they had extended Revis did that mean that Mangold was a goner? Anyways there is still a chance Revis is signed this week, this guy is sticking with his story that Revis announcement will be this week.

Also from what I heard, Mangold's deal is largely not upfront so that is probably how they figured to get by the rule. Also speculates that its good for Revis since he wants large upfront money.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

[quote name='Jetsfan0099' date='22 August 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1282526105' post='308395']
The rules and why it was difficult to sign Mangold and Harris are not new news so I am not going to explain them, but yes it was making it tougher to extend Mangold. Tannenbaum has been clear with that for a while, it wasn't impossible to get done but more difficult than the usual contract. He has said that if his agent called with something creative they would talk and obviously that may of happened.

This doesn't mean they aren't extending Revis or that Revis is now on the outs, Mangold was always a guy they wanted extended. So if they had extended Revis did that mean that Mangold was a goner? Anyways there is still a chance Revis is signed this week, this guy is sticking with his story that Revis announcement will be this week.

Also from what I heard, Mangold's deal is largely not upfront so that is probably how they figured to get by the rule. Also speculates that its good for Revis since he wants large upfront money.
[/quote]

My point is, from Day 1 MT knew that he could get a deal done with Mangold to make him the highest paid C in the league. Period. Don't think he didn't do his homework and have this deal mapped out, he wanted to wait until he either A) Signed Revis B) Decided to hold off on the Revis deal, IMO.

So right now, we're looking at it differently. You think Revis is going to be signed shortly, and I think they are sticking to their guns on the Revis deal.

And no, I don't think that Revis or Mangold were ever going to be goners... I just think this Revis ordeal is far from over.

#9 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

PS: 0099, after reading those tweets you showed, if it's true and Mangold isn't getting too much money upfront then there is alot of hope for the Revis deal. The Jets could be caving in a little, especially after locking up Mangold and still having the tag available for next year.

#10 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

I am happy to see us moving on from the Revis situation. Lets get the good guys signed. I would be suprised to see Revis b-4 week 1. Possibly not until during the season. Both sides are ready to wait this out.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Good jon by the jets. see mangold did teh right thing and ddin't holdout as did brick, and both got deals. revis coulda gotten what he wanted w/o holding out
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

Revis most likely would have been signed to a new deal by now had his greedy ass actually shown up for camp. Given that Revis hasn't shown up online even since God knows when, even on his Twitter, one has to wonder where he's been. Could all of this be a ploy and he's actually in a rehab somewhere? I know that's pure speculation on my part but the boy has disappeared off the face of the planet apparently since mini camp.

Its good to see Nick getting paid for doing what's right though. He actually cares about his teammates while caring about himself. Unlike Darelle MEvis.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#13 User is offline   XvNukemHighvX Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

revis is dedicated to football I still think he will be signed soon. Mangold.... All I can say is he took the crap in stride and hopefully gets what he deserves. Was unhappy but played his contract out like a man and is getting rewarded.

#14 User is offline   theanalogkid Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

[quote name='XvNukemHighvX' date='23 August 2010 - 07:30 AM' timestamp='1282563003' post='308410']
revis is dedicated to football I still think he will be signed soon. Mangold.... All I can say is he took the crap in stride and hopefully gets what he deserves. Was unhappy but played his contract out like a man and is getting rewarded.
[/quote]

Between Ferguson and Mangold it shows that if you keep your mouth shut and play you will be taken care of.

This will send a message to the Revis camp I think.
...no hero in your tradgey, no daring in your escape, no salutes to your surrender, nothing noble in your fate....Rush, The Pass.

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

$55 mil $23 mil guaranteed I"m hearing.
Posted Image

#16 User is online   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

[quote name='Jetsfan0099' date='23 August 2010 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1282588003' post='308430']
$55 mil $23 mil guaranteed I"m hearing.
[/quote]

That's quite a bit more than the Jason Brown deal, but Mangold arguably deserves it as he is the best center currently in the league. I'm glad he handled things the way he did too as it showed not only Revis, but the other guys around the league who holdout a lesson.

Hopefully news on a new deal for Revis will follow shortly too, but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it at all.

#17 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

7 year 55 mil for Mangold
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

the money is a rollin
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#19 User is offline   extmenace Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5490830

[size="5"]Source: Nick Mangold deal is done[/size]

By Jane McManus
ESPNewYork.com
Archive

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets and All-Pro center Nick Mangold have agreed on a new seven-year deal worth a maximum of $55 million, a league source told ESPNNewYork.com Monday. The new contract could be signed as early as Tuesday.

Mangold decided to participate in training camp while awaiting a new deal, unlike cornerback Darrelle Revis, who did not join the team in Cortland, N.Y., on Aug. 1 and whose negotiations became frayed. When Jets coach Rex Ryan was asked Monday if there was any word on any other contract negotiations, he sounded skeptical.

"That'd be news to me," Ryan said.

Jets blog

Jets Looking for more information on the
green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Earlier on Monday, Mangold said he had discussed the contract situation with Revis, who will make roughly $1 million if he plays this season under his current deal. But he didn't think it was ultimately fruitful on anything but a personal level.

"We talked," Mangold said. "I would say being in the same situation I didn't feel that we should be taking advice from each other."

Mangold declined to talk about the negotiations, based on advice he got from his agents, but he did talk about his decision to come to camp after considering a holdout as early as minicamp.

"[Holding out] didn't fit my personality," Mangold said. "It's not me, it's not who I am, and it's not what I do."

Mangold ultimately decided he needed to be in camp for the starting left guard battle, and his teammates respected him for it.

"He treated it like a professional," said fellow lineman Brandon Moore. "He could've easily made a stink about it, did some things here even when he was here. You wouldn't have known. A lot of guys didn't even know it was an issue. I think that's a testament of how professional he is, able to put that aside, and just come to work."

In theory, since he wasn't talking about football, Mangold said he'd be happy to play center long-term for the Jets, which is something Ryan can get behind.

"He's a tremendous player obviously and that would be a huge thing for our franchise," Ryan said.

Ryan has referred to Mangold as the best center in the NFL.

"He can handle nose tackles, and that's where it starts now with all these 3-4 teams I think," Ryan said. "It could be every team in our division playing a 3-4 and you better have a center who can match up with these nose tackles."

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady

17 POINTS!

#20 User is offline   Swissle Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:18 AM

there is no way that this doesn't influence darelle revis.

everybody knows Mangold is the best center in the NFL right now. Revis knows Mangold is the best center in the NFL right now. if the Jets could work a deal w. the NFL's best center, they could work a deal with the NFL's best cornerback.

...does that logic make any sense? it'd be naive to think that Revis isn't affected by this. Mangold was his other 'contract dispute' buddy, and now thats over and he's all alone.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users