NYJetsFan.com Forums: Nfl Moving Forward On 18 Game Season In 2012 - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:43 PM) i'm excited for olympiakos vs dortmund
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:43 PM) ill probably wear the dortmund jersey today
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:45 PM) or perhaps the real madrid in dark green :D
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:45 PM) never know with the Anfield crowd but i don't really like our chances today
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:46 PM) although they are weak in defense and keeper
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:48 PM) is mignolet in?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:48 PM) hes been getting a lot of flak
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:48 PM) countinho was nice vs qpr though
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:48 PM) yeah Migs is in
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:49 PM) Migs great shot stopper but awful coming off his line, awful distro and awful in the air
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:49 PM) Phil has been hit or miss all season... when he's on, he's special
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:49 PM) I think i saw some breakdown that he just runs out to far and then keeps his hands way too far down
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 PM) Balotelli and Sterling are going to have to be incredible
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 PM) yeah he's really poor at coming out, timing, all of it
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 PM) but as a shot stopper hes incredible
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 PM) Ramos is out i believe
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:51 PM) I like varane but hes doubtful also
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:51 PM) yeah Pepe and Varane at the back for Madrid
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:51 PM) ITS GONNA BE GUD 05
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:51 PM) Arbeloa(LFC former player) and Marcelo
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:51 PM) nervous
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:52 PM) i gotta shower then i'm running down to the bar
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nfl Moving Forward On 18 Game Season In 2012 Owners are targeting 2012

#1 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13819943/nfl-moving-forward-tageting-18game-season-for-2012"]18 Game Season in 2012?[/url]

CBSSports.com wire reports
Aug. 25, 2010 ATLANTA -- NFL owners have shown widespread support for going to an 18-game schedule but want to implement the change as part of a new labor agreement.

Commissioner Roger Goodell says owners see two more regular-season games -- and two fewer preseason games -- as the most logical way to enhance revenues in a difficult economic environment. He says it will be one of the main issues in talks on reaching a new collective bargaining agreement.

The current deal runs out after this season. Players are eager to see how much of the additional revenue they will receive with an expanded schedule, especially since it could increase the risk of injuries or health problems after they retire.

Goodell says the league is targeting 2012 for the 18-game season.

Copyright 2010 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

as much as i love football, i don't agree with expanding the schedule.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

Anybody else think this clears the way for two more expansion teams in the very near future?
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#4 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

It's funny that right after Goodell threw another one of his bitch fits about teams taking games "off" after clinching the playoffs he wants to expand to even more games. What happens when a team in a bad division is up by five games with a month in the season to go? What knee-jerk-reaction rule will he come up with to try and force teams that have no reason to risk injury to play out the season? Playoff seeding based on performance over the last four weeks! Fines, punishment for being good! Screw fans who can't appreciate their team winning twelve games a year for a decade, those people aren't fans anyway, they won't be there for the league when the team is down. Screw Indy's fair weather ass fans-punish them. How about Cleveland fans get rewarded for showing up to watch a turd on a cold day?

There is no reason to expand to so many games. I love football and miss it the months it is off, but I also know that the game can't afford much expansion and that part of the reason I don't like the other sports as much is that there are so many meaningless games. Get ready for the fun of being a Rams fan as they go 1-17. Woo!

I don't really like the term "hypocrite" because I think what it really means is not just someone contradicting themselves, but just that the "hypocrite" has a good ($$$$) reason to change their mind. Roger Goodell either hates football, or is so willing to subvert his small amount of love for the game for money that he can't be trusted to make important changes in the game. His BS excuse about player safety that he uses to change the rules to increase offense, his knee-jerk reaction to a small portion of the audience's whining about Indy and other's surrendering games, and so many of his other money-induced blunders should get his ass fired. Install someone who both wants the game to be great and to make money so the fans, players, and owners get what they want.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#5 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

This just opens up more questions for me...

How will scheduling change? Will we have "interleague" games like baseball where the Jets play the Giants every year?
How will roster sizes changes to adjust to two more games?
What about all the records that were set that will now be blown open because Chris Johnson gets 2 more game per year to run the ball?
With the added punishment, will RBs over 28 be considered "Done"? How many fewer years per player is the avg NFL career going to be? How will rookie adjust to playing basically twice the collegian schedule (for much less money at that)?
With two fewer games to evaluate player, will there be a farm system within or independent of the NFL?
Is Goodell the new Gary Bettman?

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

[quote name='FlyHiJets' date='25 August 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1282779508' post='308558']
Anybody else think this clears the way for two more expansion teams in the very near future?
[/quote]

I wouldn't mind seeing another team in the Midwest. I would say, lets stick a team in Louisville, KY and another in Central Texas, right in the middle of Austin and San Antonio. That would be tits.

#7 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

Instead of having 4 preseason games we'll have 2. The other 2 will get added on to the sched (I believe). I can see some problems. The owners are definitely happy with this. 2 more games to charge people out the ass.

I can't really say I'm against it tho. How will the playoff and wildcard standings be like?..

I really have a lot of question marks. At first glance it doesn't seem that bad.

#8 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

[quote name='S-Dubb' date='26 August 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1282807100' post='308569']
Instead of having 4 preseason games we'll have 2. The other 2 will get added on to the sched (I believe). I can see some problems. The owners are definitely happy with this. 2 more games to charge people out the ass.

I can't really say I'm against it tho. How will the playoff and wildcard standings be like?..

I really have a lot of question marks. At first glance it doesn't seem that bad.
[/quote]

My concerns are this

#1 are they going to inflate each players contract by 2 extra games> for instance if a player is making 16 mil a year now will it automatically be moved to 18 mil?

#2 Injuries and wear and tear on RBs. I mean how can you expect someone to have fresh legs after 18 games? Expanded rosters? Sure but that just water downs the overall talent level

#3 Records, they will all be broken probably
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

[quote name='Jetsfan115' date='26 August 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1282833585' post='308574']
My concerns are this

#1 are they going to inflate each players contract by 2 extra games> for instance if a player is making 16 mil a year now will it automatically be moved to 18 mil?

#2 Injuries and wear and tear on RBs. I mean how can you expect someone to have fresh legs after 18 games? Expanded rosters? Sure but that just water downs the overall talent level

#3 Records, they will all be broken probably
[/quote]

1)They won't want to anyway.

2)There will be even more of a back-by-committee approach. In fact, it is almost a lock that rosters would have to expand. After they went to sixteen games the roster sizes went up by six men within six years. I don't doubt that the same would happen again, as teams would have to pad their rosters because of wear and tear.

The ramifications of this would be hard to determine, although I think you'd see more teams running plays out of oddball formations (i.e. the Wildcat) and also you'd probably find teams treating early season games as preseason games in the past. If the Colts are up by three touchdowns going into the fourth against a "bad" team, expect their bubble players to come in, watering down the product just like if nothing had changed. In fact, I'm of the opinion teams will play backups so much more in the regular season that it we'll still see two preseason games a year from just about every team.

Teams will probably have a "pitch count" system for most positions, even quarterbacks. Who wants to watch Mark Sanchez throw the ball twenty-five times and get yanked to protect his arm, only to see Clemens running the offense down three in the two minute drill.

3)Yeah, passing records will go out the door since quarterbacks will still stay on the field quite a bit. I'd imagine less rushing records going down, since backs have always hit a wall once they roll up to a certain amount. It's never been good to go over four-hundred (unless you ask Herm Edwards, then that is the goal), and nothing is going to change there.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

The Commissar is the Owners Guy running the league for the owners but appearing to be the white knight for the benefit of all , just not the case. this is a plantation run business
" as the most logical way to enhance revenues in a difficult economic environment." they don't need more money but they want to dominate the world of sports and dilute your minds from the evil perpetration afflicted in human kind. why not ask the fans and voted like they do on American idol seems to work.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#11 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Wow. I wonder if there was so much opposition to expanding from a 13-14 game season to 16. It's not like this is the first time this has happened guys. As for the players wanting more money, I wouldn't give it to them. It's still a total of 20 games per season no matter how you look at it. The fact that the starters will be playing longer doesnt justify anything because they could be called upon to play in the preseason too although we know the norm is that they typically dont.

#12 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

[quote name='FlyHiJets' date='26 August 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1282837811' post='308582']
Wow. I wonder if there was so much opposition to expanding from a 13-14 game season to 16. It's not like this is the first time this has happened guys. As for the players wanting more money, I wouldn't give it to them. It's still a total of 20 games per season no matter how you look at it. The fact that the starters will be playing longer doesnt justify anything because they could be called upon to play in the preseason too although we know the norm is that they typically dont.
[/quote]

I'm sure there was opposition, and maybe they were right. There has to be some sort of dividing line. I don't want to get to the point where it is like basketball where the second half of the season you have half the playoff locked, with seven or eight teams playing for the last five-ish spots and the rest of the league just sitting there getting their ass kicked.

The more games you play, the more games there are going to be that are irrelevant, and the more regular season games that look like preseason with teams working in backups to see how they do. I see this, not for everyone but for a lot, as basically making it certain that there are going to be multiple teams benching starters at the end of the year, which means instead of four exhibition games before the year, teams like the Colts will have preseason and two or more before the playoffs (pre-postseason).

As to the players in the preseason. The big pos(I'm really against this by the way)ition is clearly running back. Most teams with a locked in starter barely let them touch the ball more than four or five teams in the preseason. How is it going to translate to the regular season? Teams with workhorse backs will have to cut them off at some point. how will that work? In blowouts the player that is supposed to help run out the clock will have to come off the field. I imagine you'll see more teams bring on ground-and-pound backs to finish teams off. But in a season of close games, what will happen to featured backs? More wear and tear on linemen will mean more mixed-lines, which might lead to teams with good lines giving up more injuries. Even QBs will have to be careful how many passes they throw. Guys throwing forty plus times a game have shoulder wear.

There comes a time where between expansion and more games you dilute the product. I will have a much decreased interest in an NFL where Shonn Greene is limited to fifteen carries a game as a featured back and if the team is 13-2 Mark plays a series a game for the last three games. maybe eighteen will work, but at some point the NFL will have to stop growing, and I wonder how much more is necessary.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Luigidel Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Interests:Fighting The Marxist Takeover Of America, Computers, NY Jets

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

[quote name='FlyHiJets' date='25 August 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1282779508' post='308558']
[/quote]

Los Angeles and Montreal or Ottawa
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

There comes a time where between expansion and more games you dilute the product quote ALelbow . really that is the truth I was referring to in my comments . like when you go to the super market and it costs $5 for 13oz of coffee instead of 16 oz at $3 . or you pay more for them not putting poison in your food . this is my last sport in this evil world .
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#15 User is offline   theanalogkid Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

Well this just made any of the existing records completely meaningless. The NFL is hungry for money and that's it.
...no hero in your tradgey, no daring in your escape, no salutes to your surrender, nothing noble in your fate....Rush, The Pass.

#16 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

I completely agree with A1Elbow on this. With 32 teams, a 16 game schedule is perfect. The only reason the owners want 18 is to increase their revenues - at the same time they are asking for the players to take a lower proportion of league revenues, which is completely hypocritical.
While I understand us fans aren't fond of watching third string guys loaf about clumsily for half an hour's worth of football for four weeks, the month long preseason is surely neccessary when it comes to evaluating players and making the right decision when it comes to cutting guys. Unless the league creates a development league - which you suspect the owners would not do given how important profit appears to be for them during these negotiation - then those diamonds in the rough won't be given time to showcase their talents. Perhaps the best way to get more fans through the door for preseason contests is to charge lower admission prices rather than make fans pay the cost of a regular season game?
Being an overseas based fan, obviously I appreciate the league bringing games to London, but having a week's worth of games played in places across the planet rather than just the one game they currently play would be overkill and gimmicky and could potentially alienate a team's core fanbase.
These CBA talks could make or break the NFL. Admittedly they're not in a position like the NHL before their lockout where interest was dwindling, but surely the league cannot risk losing their place as the preeminent sports league in the US after doing so much to become the top dog?

#17 User is offline   Luigidel Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Interests:Fighting The Marxist Takeover Of America, Computers, NY Jets

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

This is how the owners are going to make their money back because the players union is going to take them to the woodshed after the next CBA is finalized. This is a perfect time for me to Blast unions but it doesn't belong in this forum.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users