NYJetsFan.com Forums: Great Read On Bart Scott - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 12:57 PM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:22 PM) yeah buddy
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:23 PM) I wonder how much ticket to this jets game would be. I hope its free
Jetsfan115 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:24 PM) city of detriot needs something.
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 PM) yeah global warming
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 05:34 PM) Any word on what channel the game will be shown outside of the NY area?
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 06:07 PM) No idea
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 06:07 PM) Direct tv announced they will be showing it though
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 06:08 PM) I just found out it will not be shown nationally
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 November 2014 - 08:23 PM) 4 TDS for THE DUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 November 2014 - 08:24 PM) and 400 total yards
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 November 2014 - 08:24 PM) WOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (22 November 2014 - 09:15 PM) quack
azjetfan Icon : (22 November 2014 - 11:04 PM) Meanwhile back at the ranch Winston almost was ejected from the game.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 AM) SUCK FOR THE DUCK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:09 AM) TEH CRYSTAL PALACE
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:27 AM) Lulz
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:38 PM) Brad Smith just took a shot
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:38 PM) Wow
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:51 PM) saw that
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:51 PM) smithsiah
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:51 PM) will return
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:51 PM) king of the juice
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 01:53 PM) Sanchez int at Eagles 30
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:39 PM) So yeah umm anyone know if the game is going to broadcast on national TV tomorrow?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:52 PM) From what I have read it will be on in the NY and Buffalo areas as well as Ticket. That's it
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:57 PM) well that fucks everyone who is outside of the area
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) Sanchez 3 straight 300+ yards passing games
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:06 PM) I have no faith in Idzik hiring a good HC or signing/drafting good players.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:28 PM) I saw a old dude and his wife at a pizza shop tonight. He was wearing an old timers service hat. I picked up his tab.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:46 PM) FIRE COUGHLIN
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:15 PM) I love how there are so many rookie WRs beasting it in the deepest WR class in a long time, yet our genius GM couldn't land one.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:15 PM) My guy Odell Beckham torching the Cowboys
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:17 PM) Look at this catch he made, sick https://mtc.cdn.vine...P67xwaORGsCqtLF
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:09 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...sharpnosepuffer
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:09 PM) Another link
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:20 AM) Your guy Odell lol
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:20 AM) I ravedddd about him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:26 AM) he was the guy I wanted most out of the draft. I knew we had no shot at Watkins or Evans.
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 08:59 AM) Pretty sure i remember talking to you about him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:33 AM) yeah we talked about him, I remember you loved him too. When I started paying attention to potential draft guys he was the guy I wanted most with our 1st round pick. This was before he was talked about as a legit first rounder, then he skyrocketed up the boards and ended up going too high for us.
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 09:37 AM) I was and am huge on Jarvis Landry too
santana Icon : (Today, 11:04 AM) I knew about odell since grade school
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 11:12 AM) You don't follow football.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Great Read On Bart Scott Seriously read this

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

Scott, Star in New York With Jets, Can’t Put Ties to Baltimore Aside
By GREG BISHOP
Published: September 9, 2010

In Baltimore, Scott went from anonymous undrafted free agent to special-teams standout to starting inside linebacker. He played alongside All-Pros like linebacker Ray Lewis and safety Ed Reed, so many stars that Scott said he often felt like the youngest member of the Jackson Five.

Over lunch Wednesday in Manhattan’s West Village, Scott kept coming back to Baltimore, to the city that embraced him, to the fans who identified with him, to the organization that developed him — and will face him Monday night in the Jets’ season opener at New Meadowlands Stadium.

“There’s nothing like your first best friend, your first puppy love, the first time you bought all in,” Scott said. “You’ll never have that same dynamic. You only have one first.”

The game will provide relief for Scott, who is still grappling with a family tragedy that occurred in June. On Father’s Day, as Scott was flying back to New Jersey from Detroit, his hometown, the fiancé of his oldest sister, Cutrice, was murdered there.

Cutrice Scott and Phillip Wade planned to marry. She had found a dress. That day, according to Scott, Wade returned home and found burglars inside. One stabbed him in the neck, and he bled to death in the arms of his 12-year-old son. When his sister reached Scott by cellphone, she could not speak.

Scott knows all about the dangers in Detroit. He once arrived at football practice at Southeastern High School to find a burned-out car in the middle of the field. His cousin was paralyzed in a random shooting at a bar.

“Cutrice is my biggest fan,” Scott said. “This crushed her. I wanted to protect her. I wanted her to have happiness, too. It’s just tough, man. Detroit’s a rough place.”

Scott has since assumed the role in which he feels most comfortable: as his family’s source of strength. When his sister lost her job recently, he paid for her to go back to school to study interior design.

That mentality, Scott said, came from his upbringing and his family, and from the Baltimore Ravens. As Scott prepared to face his former team, he dealt with his sadness using the lessons he learned in Baltimore.

When Scott signed with the Ravens in 2002, he received a $500 signing bonus. That covered his phone bill and little else, but it allowed him entry into what Scott described as the N.F.L.’s version of Stanford for defensive players.

The City of Baltimore, he said, appreciated his story, his path from Southern Illinois to Lewis’s side on the league’s most intimidating defense. His mother, Dorita Adams, remembered the first time Scott ran out of the tunnel as a Ravens starter, how it was so loud that she could not hear his name. Scott blew her a kiss and mouthed, “We did it.” Tears rolled down her cheeks.

On a conference call Thursday, Baltimore Coach John Harbaugh said nobody threw his body into traffic quite the way Scott did.

Scott remains close with several Ravens players, including Edgar Jones, Le’Ron McClain and Terrell Suggs. Scott said he mostly identified with players who are like him: non-Hollywood, unglamorous guys “who got their work done and got rewarded.”

Scott formed organizationwide relationships that endure for all weeks except this one. He befriended Ed Carroll, the Ravens’ longtime equipment manager, who declined an interview request but helped Scott donate weight-lifting equipment to his high school.

Scott also found kinship with O. J. Brigance, a former N.F.L. linebacker who works in player development for the Ravens despite having amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The men played the same position and wore the same number (57). It was Brigance who helped persuade Scott to return to college, where he earned a degree in economics a few years back.

Scott followed Coach Rex Ryan to the Jets before last season. He remains surprised that the Ravens passed over Ryan to hire Harbaugh, but Scott knew instantly that he would follow Ryan anywhere. He wanted their careers connected.

“I’ll ride with Rex, no matter what,” Scott said. “Tell me, who were the Jets before he got here? They were missing an identity. They were middle of the road. He turned this team into the most talked-about team in the N.F.L. All we have to do is back up his statements and, bam, instant success.”

Even after Scott left Baltimore, he remained involved with the city. With the help of Valarie Wideman, a receptionist for the Ravens, Scott continued to feed 400 homeless people on Thanksgiving and hand out Christmas toys and throw parties for children at local roller rinks. He continued to adopt a local elementary school.

Jones took over one of Scott’s events. Running back Ray Rice took over another.

“I miss him so much,” Wideman said of Scott. “Everybody does. You still see people wearing his jersey in the street.”

That works both ways.

“Part of Bart’s heart will always be in Baltimore,” said Adams, his mother.

Part of Scott wanted to stay there, too, and the Ravens offered a comparable financial package. But Lewis was already the cornerstone at linebacker, and Ryan made it clear to Scott that he, not Lewis, was his first choice. “I was always Plan A,” Scott said. “That was the first time in my life I was Plan A.”

Immediately after arriving in New York, Ryan and Scott set about imparting the Ravens’ culture on the Jets.

Now, Scott said, when the teams meet Monday, “they won’t admit it, but I’m sure they miss Rex’s genius on defense.”

“He ran so much of that team,” Scott said. “That defense is still good, but it’s not the same as when Rex was there.”

As much as Scott credits the Ravens, he said he planned to go after them Monday night. The first time he played against Chester Taylor, a former Baltimore teammate, Scott lifted him and slammed him on his neck.

“They know me,” Scott said. “They know the storm is coming.”

EXTRA POINTS

As was widely expected, Rex Ryan named Matt Slauson the starter at left guard. Slauson, who is in his second year, had competed with the rookie Vladimir Ducasse for the position during training camp.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Its go time!

#3 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

great article

#4 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Its friday not go time yet.:)
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#5 User is offline   518-JeTS-FaN Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:family, football, life and gaming hit me up on ps3 MTYSON

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

im with dubb, its GO TIME!!!

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

I hear athletes go back to school all the time... but for bullshit degrees that don't require any thought: communication, business administration etc but to go back and earn an econ degree? Bart got a good head on his shoulders. Econ is probably the hardest undergrad to get outside of physics and chem.

#7 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 11 September 2010 - 10:59 AM, said:

Econ is probably the hardest undergrad to get outside of physics and chem.

Not by a long shot. Pretty much anything involving science is harder than anything involving business. Physics, chemistry, applied mathematics, biology and any type of engineering is MUCH harder than economics. Within business, even finance is more difficult.

#8 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

View PostVaNDelaYInDusTrIEs, on 12 September 2010 - 07:39 AM, said:

Not by a long shot. Pretty much anything involving science is harder than anything involving business. Physics, chemistry, applied mathematics, biology and any type of engineering is MUCH harder than economics. Within business, even finance is more difficult.

I'll give you applied science and engineering but finance? No. We're talking undergrad, not an MBA in financial engineering. Econ is rooted in advanced calculus. Finance touches on calc but is not as indepth. It's basically a combo of econ and accounting (and accounting shouldn't even be a college major).

#9 User is offline   VaNDelaYInDusTrIEs Icon

• 06 R.O.Y. Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

There may be some calculus involved in econ, but at the undergrad level that would be rudimentary at best. I'll just say that at Penn State, finance is the only major in the business school that requires a 3.3 GPA to get into, because that's the hardest major to maintain good grades in. Every other major was 3.0.

#10 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

View PostVaNDelaYInDusTrIEs, on 12 September 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

There may be some calculus involved in econ, but at the undergrad level that would be rudimentary at best. I'll just say that at Penn State, finance is the only major in the business school that requires a 3.3 GPA to get into, because that's the hardest major to maintain good grades in. Every other major was 3.0.

I found undergrad econ very hard because of Calc III. Finance didn't even require Calc II.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users