NYJetsFan.com Forums: Nice Recap. - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM) http://fc04.devianta...a8d-d67yh5n.jpg
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM) Talk about that.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:36 PM) THE BEETS!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:38 PM) Ah eeh ooh, Killer tofu. (Eeyae.)
Oooh eeh ooh, Killer tofu!
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 04:14 PM) bravo
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) I saw on my Facebook newsfeed that Hey Dude was going to be on 90s Nick tonight.
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM) http://www.reddit.co...n_how_about_an/
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM) David Nelson back on reddit answering questions
blk_orion Icon : (15 July 2014 - 10:22 AM) thanks for that nelson info, my fam originate from Haiti, have fam here doing tons of missions from NY and FL.
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:44 AM) yeah he seems like a very honest person
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) if it wasn't for that injury he suffered in buffalo he would be much more recognized
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) top lad solid pro tough as hell
Mr_Jet Icon : (15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM) http://media-cache-a...0fa7d5eef52.jpg
santana Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:11 AM) TITTIES
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:37 AM) ^I 2nd that
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 July 2014 - 08:54 PM) ***crickets***
RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Nice Recap.

#1 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Super Bowl mission starts Monday night in a sparkling $1.6 billion stadium. In reality, it began Jan. 24 on a charter bus outside Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, where Rex Ryan turned to Mike Tannenbaum and said, "I want basketball players."

The New York Jets had just lost the AFC Championship Game to the Colts, in part, because their secondary was banged up and overmatched. Nickelback Donald Strickland was injured early in the game and, aside from Darrelle Revis, the Jets didn't have enough athleticism at cornerback to keep up in the Indy 500 -- Peyton Manning's fast-paced passing attack.

So Ryan, already plotting revenge, told his general manager on the ride to the Indianapolis airport that he needed basketball-type athletes, lithe and long. No names were mentioned, but Tannenbaum knew what had to be done. In essence, he was handed his to-do list for the next three months.

In a 48-day span, from March 5 to April 21, the Jets rocked the NFL by acquiring two surefire Hall of Famers, a former Super Bowl MVP and a former All-Pro -- LaDainian Tomlinson and Jason Taylor, Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie, respectively.

They did it without breaking the bank and without mortgaging the future. Total bill for the two free-agent signings and two trades: about $6 million in guarantees, a third-round pick and a fifth-round pick. And they got it done despite severe spending restrictions placed on the final eight teams because of the uncapped league year.

The Jets knew the type of player they wanted, but, unlike past offseasons, they didn't have a blueprint with a priority list of names. They went with the flow, seizing opportunities as they developed. Sometimes an organization has to set aside the script and work on the fly. The Jets did that over seven weeks, completing what they believe is a championship-caliber roster.

A look back at how Tannenbaum got his men:

Fittingly, it started in Indianapolis, scene of The Defeat.

At the scouting combine in early March, Tannenbaum heard that the San Diego Chargers were trying to trade Cromartie, once regarded as a rising defensive star. Tannenbaum and Ryan looked at each other and wondered the same thing: "Why is a talented player like this available?"

Inside Lucas Oil Stadium, where the draft-eligible players were working out for NFL scouts, Tannenbaum visited the Chargers' work box and met with GM A.J. Smith and coach Norv Turner to discuss a possible trade.

Only six weeks earlier, the Jets had stunned the Chargers in the playoffs, putting Turner on the hot seat. But now Turner was dangling a commodity, a player Ryan absolutely loved out of Florida State in 2006. Tannenbaum smelled an opportunity. That meeting provided the groundwork for the trade, but Tannenbaum wanted to dig into Cromartie's checkered past, which included paternity issues and attitude questions.

JoJo Wooden, the Jets' assistant personnel director, called former Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who coached Cromartie in his breakout year, 2007. Cottrell, a former Jets coordinator, gave a positive recommendation.

"Rex has the right type of demeanor," Cottrell told Wooden. "There's not going to be any problem. Just don't B.S. him."

Twenty-four hours after returning from Indianapolis, Tannenbaum finalized the trade from his home in central New Jersey, notifying Ryan and owner Woody Johnson in a late-night e-mail. On March 5, the first day of free agency, the deal was announced. The Jets were prohibited from signing any unrestricted free agents, but they stole the headlines anyway -- a harbinger.

Ryan had his basketball player, a 6-2 cornerback with freakish athletic ability. The team would add another corner, Kyle Wilson, in the first round of the draft.

Also on March 5, the Jets made an unpopular move, releasing leading rusher Thomas Jones in a salary-related dump. They lined up three potential replacements: Larry Johnson, Willie Parker and Tomlinson, each of whom had been released. That meant the "Final Eight" rules didn't apply; they were fair game to the Jets, who discovered Tomlinson was meeting with the Minnesota Vikings.

"We had to put on a full-court press," Tannenbaum said. "We thought Minnesota was closing in fast."

The team persuaded Tomlinson to visit the facility in Florham Park, but his recruiting trip involved more than a red-carpet tour.

Knowing Tomlinson's wife, LaTorsha, was in the middle of an at-risk pregnancy, the Jets introduced him to team doctor Ken Montgomery. Five years earlier, LaTorsha had suffered a miscarriage at sixth months. Montgomery assured Tomlinson that his wife would receive world-class care at the Atlantic Health hospital in Morristown, N.J.

Tomlinson also received a tour of New Meadowlands Stadium. Because construction still was ongoing, he was required to wear a hard hat. The Jets gave him a custom-made hat -- green, with his famous No. 21. At the end of the tour, Tomlinson asked whether he could keep it.

"I thought that was a really good sign," Tannenbaum said.

On the way to dinner at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., Tannenbaum received a call from his boss, Johnson, who wanted to speak with the Canton-bound recruit. Tannenbaum handed the phone to Tomlinson.

"His face lit up," Tannenbaum said. "At the end of the conversation, he said, 'Wow, the owner of the New York Jets called me.' I think that really impressed him."

The dinner party included Tannenbaum and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and their wives, along with quarterback Mark Sanchez and running backs coach Anthony Lynn. The next day, Tomlinson flew back to San Diego and make his decision to sign with the Jets -- two years, $5.2 million.

In July, LaTorsha gave birth to the couple's first child, a healthy boy.

April 10 was a relatively quiet Saturday around the Jets' offices -- until Tannenbaum received a call from the Pittsburgh Steelers, who were looking to trade Holmes. The Steelers wanted to do it quickly.

Tannenbaum wanted feedback from Ryan, so he called downstairs to the coach's assistant, Laura Young. She said Ryan was in his office, being interviewed by a reporter. Tannenbaum told her to buzz Ryan's line and ask him to flash a thumbs-up or thumbs-down through the glass window.

Ryan delivered his response in person. He sprinted upstairs, barged into Tannenbaum's office and exclaimed, "Hell, yes!"

Tannenbaum asked whether he needed to watch some film of Holmes.

"F---, no," Ryan said. "That f---er cost me a ring."

Ryan was alluding to a 65-yard touchdown against his former team, the Baltimore Ravens, in the 2008 AFC title game.

No doubt, Holmes was a talent, but there were off-the-field issues, including a looming four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Tannenbaum and Johnson met for an hour to discuss the pros and cons -- a "robust debate," the GM called it. They solicited advice from team psychologist Sara Hickmann and player development director Dave Szott, trying to figure out whether they could create a structured environment for Holmes.

"Ultimately, we decided the uncertainty was outweighed by talent," Tannenbaum said.

At 7 p.m. Sunday, he finalized the deal for a song, a fifth-round pick. He e-mailed Johnson and Ryan with the news.

"Wow," Tannenbaum thought to himself, "I can't believe I just got Santonio Holmes."

The Jets experienced their usual Midnight Madness a month late -- and in the middle of the day.

On April 2, when kicker Jay Feely bolted for the Arizona Cardinals, the Jets finally were allowed to sign an unrestricted free agent. They tried to create a sense of urgency, making like it was March 5. The office staff buzzed with activity.

Get Taylor's agent on the phone. Get Taylor on a flight to New Jersey. Get an itinerary planned.

When Taylor arrived, he visited Trump National (he's an avid golfer) and toured the new stadium, where the scoreboard flashed "Jason Taylor 99" and showed a montage of action photos. As he stood next to Taylor, it suddenly occurred to Tannenbaum that one of the most despised opponents in team history could become a Jet -- "a surreal feeling," he said.

"I hated him," said Tannenbaum, recalling Taylor's days as a Miami Dolphin. "But while hating him, I admired him."

After the stadium, Taylor, Tannenbaum and Ryan took a helicopter tour of Manhattan. The Empire State Building. Central Park. Yankee Stadium. Truth be told, the trip went long and, with three full-size men in the passenger seat, it became a bit cozy. Finally, they landed for dinner at Il Postino in Manhattan.

Displaying his trademark bravado, Ryan told Taylor the Jets were going to have the league's No. 1 defense again -- with or without him. But they wanted another pass-rusher, someone to help protect fourth-quarter leads, and Ryan felt Taylor was perfect.

On April 21, Taylor jumped to the dark side, becoming a Jet.

Nearly eight months after the bus conversation from the AFC title game to the Indianapolis airport ("I want basketball players"), the Jets open the season against Baltimore.

In the moments before kickoff, Tannenbaum will be thinking of all the people who made this possible, including the not-so-obvious people.

The team doctor. The team psychologist. The video department. The people who made the hard hat.

"A total team effort," Tannenbaum said. "I'm proud of the whole organization."

Now all they have to do is win. A lot.

#2 User is offline   wichitacommish Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Interests:My Kids.
    The Jets.
    Fantasy Football.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

Great read!

Tanny knows how to do his job very well. Shmooz and you will receive. If Tomlinson works and I think he will, that story should go down in NYJ history.

#3 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Tannenbaum certainly knows how to pull a trade/FA signing off.

The image of Rex Ryan sprinting upstairs isn't a pretty one though!

#4 User is offline   Merenguito Icon

• 2008 Best Sig Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Tannenbaum asked whether he needed to watch some film of Holmes.

"F---, no," Ryan said. "That f---er cost me a ring."

I loved this!
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users