NYJetsFan.com Forums: Jets Pumped, Not Pressured For Ravens Tonight - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets win 3-1. Beat dolphins so bad that philbin isnt allowed back from england.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:37 PM) the interior pressure we'll bring is going to be crazy
ganggreen2003 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:37 PM) and if he's in game shape
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:37 PM) Or Use Rich and Williams in the middle and put Wilk and Coples on the Ends
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:38 PM) Richardson won't be suspended this season from that
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:40 PM) This D-line reminds me of the 2011 Giants who used JPP and Tuck on the inside and Osi and Kiwanuka on the ends
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:41 PM) 4 10 sack players at 1 points in their careers and no o-line could stop them all
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:41 PM) I think this D-line will be so much better
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:43 PM) The thing that is scary is that we also have a great secondary
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:44 PM) Exactly
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:44 PM) All of our additions in the secondary look great. Darrelle Revis changes secondaries
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:44 PM) Buster Skrine has been a beast at nickel
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) Take a sack or throw it up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) Marcus Gilchrist has been making plays in coverage at FS.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) The Island!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) Never should have let him go
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:45 PM) We could have just taken Rich at 9
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:46 PM) but o well he is back now
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:46 PM) You got to think Revis has also never had this much talent around him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:48 PM) all 3 of our wins we pretty much dominated in
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:48 PM) Our defense has allowed the leagues best 13 PPG
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:49 PM) We beat us against Philly
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:50 PM) 4 turnovers and a Punt return TD
MikeGangGree... Icon : (05 October 2015 - 01:58 PM) If fitz can be smart with the ball and Marshall Decker and Ivory and stay healthy I think we can beat anyone
santana Icon : (05 October 2015 - 02:36 PM) http://www.sun-senti...1005-story.html
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:16 PM) I get it to a point why everyone is making a big deal about that missed call because difference between a win and a loss but I have never seen that call made in over 30 years of watching NFL so I guarantee that none of the fans , coaches or players new the rule. Yes the refs should know all the rules but they aren't computers and it's impossible for them to remember all the 1000's of rules. Especially an old rule no one but the officials ever heard of before. 22 new officials didn't help either. It took an old long time official now retired from officiating to tell the world the rule. Everyone and the officials will remember that rule from now on after all the media
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:27 PM) Lions fans are b*tching like hell about it. We would be if it happened to us but I think it's a bad rule any way and should be scrapped. If the defense causes the offensive player to fumble in the end zone because the defense makes a good play I personally think it would be bullshit to give the fumbling team the ball back. If the ball went out of bounds on its own or if a player tried to recover it and the ball went out of the end zone it's not a penalty. Both cases are a touchback so I feel that giving the ball back to the offense that fumbled it because of the defense batting the ball out of the end zone if the offense recovered the ball it would be a td so it would be bullshit to give them the ball back because of a simple ball bat. Rule should really be changed
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:30 PM) It's ok for the offense to deliberately take a safety to prevent a TD and only give up 2 points an benefit themselves so yeah I think it is an old out of date rule that should be thrown out. If the d makes a great play they shouldn't have to give the offense the ball back because of a stupid rule
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:30 PM) So I'm glad it wasn't called
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:31 PM) Hope it's changed next year
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:31 PM) it's been called a ton of times, they showed a montage o ESPN last night of a bunch of times it's been called
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:33 PM) just because one player made a great play, doesn't mean you can excuse someone making a bonehead play
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:34 PM) chancellor made a great play (remember when i wanted the jets to draft him?) but the LBer should have not illegally batted it, he could have tried to recover it or body blocked det from recovering.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:34 PM) Not sure what ESPN you had on ESPN China? I left ESPN on for 2 hours after the game and I never seen this montage you say. I'm calling you out as bullshit. Show me a video of proof
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:38 PM) Even the old ESPN official couldn't remember an instance of it being called. It isn't the same as the offense backing out of the end zone with the ball or being sacked in the end zone for a safety. Completely different rule and situation. I've never seen it called and I watch at least 6 games at a time a week. None of the ESPN announcer players, Ray Lewis, Dilfer, or Young even knew the rule and that's over 20 years of NFL experience. Yet none of them knew or understood the rule until it was explained in detail
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:40 PM) I've never once seen the ball given back to to offense so I challenge you to show me this montage you claim was on. If I didn't see it for two hours I after the game I'm calling bullshit on your end
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:43 PM) Say whatever you want but show me proof or just leave it be because I won't believe you without a bunch of video proof. I have a hell of a memory and if it ever was called maybe once or twice in the past 30 years but no way there is some montage
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:48 PM) Nether coach knew the rule either and they would know more of the rules than the players and fans. If not for a retired official bringing it up it probably would've never even been brought up at all
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 03:58 PM) I highly questionable is on now and they are even saying no one knew the rule or complained until they were told the rule.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 04:05 PM) I have seen plenty of games where defenders did knock the ball out of the end zone like the situation last night to prevent any possible touchdown not disputing that because that has happened a good many times. My point is I've never seen a flag thrown for it and the ball given to the offense. It's definitely an obsolete rule that should be thrown out. The NFL has made the rules so offensive friendly these days it's hard to play defense with out calls anymore. That is just one more bullshit rule to help the offense. Take the Jets Dolphins game for instance. Those bullshit pi calls against our defense for clearly uncatchable balls. Pi never should've never been called giving up like 60 yards on two calls and a td that never would've happened. At most they should've been 5 yard holding calls. Never would've been mad if they just called them holding calls.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 04:06 PM) Anyway I'm tired of all these offense friendly rules these days screwing over the defenses. It's starting to get like non touch flag football for the defenses.
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 04:11 PM) You know it too. Our team has been a defensive team for well over a decade and so many bullshit calls have been called against our defense because of the new offensive friendly rules. So I say screw Detroit. I'm glad it wasn't called and a defense gets a break
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) call em a liar if you want, but I seen it man
santana Icon : (Today, 12:52 AM) guess I should enable a character limit for the shoutbox
santana Icon : (Today, 12:53 AM) getting a bit out of hand
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:30 AM) Rob you're brutal
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Jets Pumped, Not Pressured For Ravens Tonight

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

Jets Pumped, Not Pressured, for Ravens Tonight
By Randy Lange

Posted 8 hours ago

There is no way to quantify it, only to argue the point as one might with a friend in a favorite watering hole about the best quarterbacks or the best heavyweights of all time.

Is this the most important Opening Day in Jets franchise history?

The storylines certainly support that theory. The Jets, fresh off their five weeks of summer cable stardom as the focus of "Hard Knocks," say their goal is to go to and win the Super Bowl, as soon as February 6, and in the process to be the best defense in NFL.

And in this first game toward those and other aims, they merely have to beat the Baltimore Ravens, which head coach Rex Ryan lists along with his Jets and the Steelers as the most physical teams in the league today.

There are the multiple Jets-Ravens connections, with Ryan going up against good friend and former boss John Harbaugh and exchanging by all sounds of it friendly banter with his former top Ravens defender Ray Lewis about smashing each other and cashing checks.

There is Darrelle RevisPosted Image back in uniform and the questions about whether he'll look like a guy who spent five weeks away from the office or a guy who has the keys and the title to his own island.

And let's not forget this is the Jets' first game that counts and the first regular-season primetime game in history in their brand new pigskin palace known as New Meadowlands Stadium.

Pressure, anyone?

Ryan was adamant during his second opening week as an NFL head coach that if anyone should be feeling the pressure from this offseason of great expectations, it should be him (but he's not).

"My players haven't made those comments. I've made those comments. The pressure is on me and not on our players," he said. "It's on me. If it doesn't work out the way I think it will work out, then who is it going to be on? It's going to be on one person and that's going to be on me, not on our team. I would disagree there. If you want to win, you ought to be man enough to stand up there and say we expect to win. I've got news for you we expect to win this week, next week and every week.

"Now, does it happen? No, it doesn't happen all the time, but we expect to win. That's how we approach every game."

Mike Pettine, in his second season as Ryan's defensive coordinator and his ninth on the same staff as Ryan, says that's not the approach that every head coach and team take toward a season, but it's always been the approach that Rex and he have taken.

"It's been said that we're not afraid to say it we believe we can win every game," Pettine said. "If you're worth anything as a coach or a player in this league, you've got to look at the schedule one game at a time and believe that on a game-to-game basis, you're going to win every one. I've been around that mentality. I've been around the reverse mentality where coaches look at it like, 'I think we can win this block of games here. It's going to be tough, we can split these.' We don't look at it that way. You can't afford to concede anything.

"We voice it and I think it maybe gets interpreted the other way that all this team does is talk trash. Rex has a firm belief in us as a coaching staff and a firm belief in the players on this team. We think we've built a team that there is no reason that we can't go into every game expecting to win."

And so the pressure gauge isn't in the danger zone for the players. Mark SanchezPosted Image, beginning his second year as the starting QB? Nah.

"I think, most important, it's about reminding yourself that you have guys like Braylon [Edwards] and Jerricho [Cotchery]. Braylon's worked so hard this offseason to be a dependable guy and a guy that knows the system he's always in the right spot. J-Co? I can lean on him all the time. Dustin [Keller] has had a great camp, he's ready for the season. The offensive line will keep your jersey clean. They really take the pressure off of you."

And for a respected veteran such as Jason TaylorPosted Image, who'll be filling in for Calvin PacePosted Image at OLB as long as Pace needs to rehab his foot, what pressure?

"I feel great," Taylor said. "It's the same thing I was doing before Calvin got hurt. It's the same thing. You're just doing it a few more times. It's really not that big a deal. I know some people don't think I can't do it anymore, there's a million different things being said, but that's fine."

You could survey the entire Jets locker room and get the same reaction. Old vets but new Jets like LaDainian TomlinsonPosted Image and Antonio CromartiePosted Image? Ice water courses through their veins. Former Ravens like Bart ScottPosted Image and Jim LeonhardPosted Image? Not a chance. Kris JenkinsPosted Image back from his knee surgery of last year? Ready to roll. New guy like Kyle WilsonPosted Image in the nickel packages? He's so professional that his butterflies haven't shown all summer, let alone this week.

So some say the Jets could succumb to this pressure as one of the preseason favorites in the AFC East and the talk of the town around New York and New Jersey. Others see a possible letdown after the offseason and preseason of hype and Hard Knocks. Sure, these conditions could happen, have happened to other teams.

But those other teams weren't the Jets.

More likely, the Jets, in Ryan's favorite phrase, will be "popping out of their skin." He wants them fired up to take on the similarly tough Ravens with their similarly lofty aspirations, so much the better to prevail on Opening Night on this first of many national stages.

"We're so ready to play an opponent for real, to get things going in our new stadium," Sanchez said. "This is a game that counts. This is huge for us, so we just can't wait. Our guys are so excited. Monday can't come soon enough."

And now Monday is here, kickoff is hours away. And as Ryan also says, in a very short time "we'll see" a little more about the 2010 Jets

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users