NYJetsFan.com Forums: 10 Yard Holding Calls To Much? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) bayern two bad passes one bad tackle today punished by aguero
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) otherwise city looked rather crapola
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:47 PM) moyesy coaching in your favorite league now
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) yeah i saw that he was at real sociedad
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:51 PM) http://gfycat.com/MilkyMajesticDingo
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) also very casual
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) boca represent
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) http://gfycat.com/Of...ingAmazonparrot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) that is the most raul goal i have ever seen
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) What's our wish list for HC next year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) BILL LAZOR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) Why?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) he worked with chip kelly and vick on the eagles. and has a cool name
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:41 PM) Eh
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:37 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) The JETS really sucked a fat one last night
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:34 PM) Man the JETS are a 3 ring circus or American Horror Story: FREAK SHOW!!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) Jets starting Geno again.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) FIRE IDZIK,
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) I really hope the JEts completely clean house this offseason and get rid of everyone, it's time.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:54 AM) We need to keep getting embarrassed every week to ensure that. That is why I don't give a shit about getting destroyed, it makes the team look like more of a joke and forces Woody to make real changes
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) Like how do you get blown out by a team that didn't practice while you had 2 weeks to prepare?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) That kind of stuff may force Woody to make the big changes and fire everyone
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) John Idzik has handled the QB situation terribly. 2 times he pretty much handed the job to his draft pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:56 AM) Besides Sheldon Richardson, his drafts have been awful.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:57 AM) Maybe Woody will clean house and go all out for Jim Harbaugh, that probably won't happen though but it would be a franchise changer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:07 AM) Harbaugh would be amazing...but because it makes sense it won't be done
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (Today, 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (Today, 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

10 Yard Holding Calls To Much?

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

I personally think so. 1st and 10 holding gets pushed back to 1st and 20? I think 10 yards for holding is a bit much. It's a common penalty and I think 10 yards just destroys drives. i think 5 yards would suffice . Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   nejets2820 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

It would be, but it does make up for all the penalties that are forced on the defense. I mean if the defense even sneezes the wrong way ona receiver it's a first down.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Holmes10 Icon

• Formerly Leon#29 - 2008 ROY
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

10 yards is what it should be and always will be....5 yards would be the same as a false start...keep it 10, or else holding would really become a part of the game...whereas you really could take a chance grabbing a defender and tossing him down hoping for the big game changing run, or buying an extra second or two for the QB...with little consequences if he is caught....

#4 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

View PostLeon#29, on 20 October 2010 - 12:16 AM, said:

10 yards is what it should be and always will be....5 yards would be the same as a false start...keep it 10, or else holding would really become a part of the game...whereas you really could take a chance grabbing a defender and tossing him down hoping for the big game changing run, or buying an extra second or two for the QB...with little consequences if he is caught....

I agree totally. Just to add some of these holding calls saves the qb from a sack which usually results in more than ten yards.

#5 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:31 AM

I also think it has to be 10 to keep the risk/reward (of holding) a little in check. I mean, how many former player analysts say "Holding happens every play." To balance that out ya gotta have the obvious ones count against ya quite a bit.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

Yea I here ya but you think guys would try to manipulate the penalty with it only being 5 yards? I don't know. Lets be honest, when a run loses a yard or two even that's a problem. Just given the fact that there is a hold on nearly every play and it being such a common penalty and the face that it takes it back 10 yards I think is a bit much for a common penalty.

#7 User is online   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

i have to agree 10 is good. i mean a defensive holding is an automatic 1st down even if its 3rd and 30 and thats BS
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

well if they were to go back to old school where O linemen can't extend their arms to block can't grab uniforms that would be give the same results.
block in the back, late hits . calling time outs seconds before a FG thats all needs to go.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#9 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

I think offensive holding is fine, for the reason stated that a sack will usually give up more than five yards so it turns into a "I'm way better off holding than letting my QB go down" situation.

Having said that, I think Goodell will flip it over to a five yard penalty sooner or later to promote offenses.

Also, ten yards with the modern passing game isn't that bad. It more kills run based teams than pass based ones.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#10 User is online   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

I think the NFL was dam fine the way it was. rule changes piss me off
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:17 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 20 October 2010 - 03:58 PM, said:

I think the NFL was dam fine the way it was. rule changes piss me off

What would upset me most is an 18 game schedule. There's already games that end up meaningless to some teams at the end. It's also gonna be a lot harder to compare stats, etc.
Posted Image

#12 User is online   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

an 18 game schedule would suck
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

In Goodell's Flag Football league eighteen games won't involve any more injuries than now.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#14 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

What do you guys think about P.I's being at the spot of the foul? 40,50,60 yard penalties? IMO, they should be a 15 yard penalty and a 1st down.

#15 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

View PostS-Dubb, on 21 October 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

What do you guys think about P.I's being at the spot of the foul? 40,50,60 yard penalties? IMO, they should be a 15 yard penalty and a 1st down.

If they take away a sure reception - like the flag on Santonio on Sunday - then I think having them as spot fouls is a good idea, otherwise you would see defenders interfering more on deep passes where they are trailing a receiver or in a bad position to give up the lesser yardage.
In regards to holding, I too think a ten yard penalty is warranted. Compared with false starts and offsides, which a player wouldn't commit on purpose, holding generally occurs on purpose so it should be penalised more.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users