NYJetsFan.com Forums: Players Around The League Speak About New Rules - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (23 October 2014 - 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (24 October 2014 - 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:23 AM) SILVA!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 AM) Wait I mean
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 AM) FIRE IDZICK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:05 AM) What channel can I watch el clasico
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:06 AM) TEH CLASICO
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:39 AM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:05 PM) Messi to Suarez to Neymar and goal
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:06 PM) My nipples were so stiff
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:06 PM) Isco the Spanish Shepard so tenacious gotta order that kit!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:31 PM) WE THE PEOPLE
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Players Around The League Speak About New Rules

#1 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

NFL players speak out on the NFL's awful, new dangerous hit rule
By Chris Chase

Posted ImageNFL players are speaking out against the new suspensions and fines for players making hard hits. A number of stars, both on offense and defense, have criticized the league in recent days, proving that not everyone is in favor of arbitrary rulings on hard hits, intent and effective tackling.

Roger Goodell and the NFL have good intentions with the new suspension and fine rules, but this slapdash tweak to the rulebook has already left players and fans confused. James Harrison(notes) getting fined $75,000 is understandable. Everyone except Harrison acknowledges that his hits were dirty. But what about Dunta Robinson(notes) getting fined $50,000 for a perfectly legal hit on DeSean Jackson(notes)? That was a great play with an unfortunate result. Yet his fine suggests the NFL is only serious about sanctioning players who cause injury, not ones who do so with vicious, reckless intent. If Jackson had popped up right after that hit, would Robinson still owe 50K today? I doubt it.

[Photos: DeSean Jackson reels from Robinson's powerful hit]

Decisions to fine and suspend can't be made because of a hit's end result. Goodell will insist that they're not doing that, but the Robinson fine proves otherwise. This is a slippery slope for the league to pursue.

[Related: James Harrison's 'I try to hurt people' admission]

The NFL didn't think this through. Goodell and the suits in the front office swiftly overreacted to a serious issue without thinking of the implications. It's as if they saw concussed players, said "this has to stop," and threatened every player who ever wanted to make a tackle. Players aren't pleased:

1. Brian Urlacher

"It's freaking football. There are going to be big hits. I don't understand how they can do this after one weekend of hitting. And I can't understand how they can suspend us for it. I think it's a bunch of bull.

"You know what we should do? We should just put flags on everybody. Let's make it the NFFL - the National Flag Football League. It's unbelievable."

2. Steve Breaston

"Say it's third-and-15 and you go across the middle. As a defender, you try to dislodge that ball so he doesn't make the catch. Now, it's what, you let them catch it? You make the tackle, but they pick up the first down? I don't know."

3. James Harrison

"To really be honest, I don't think it's going to change the way I play the game. There's a lot of hoopla going around that I'm a dirty player. I'm not trying to injure anyone. It's a physical game, it's a violent game. You're going to get hurt."

4. Adrian Wilson

"It's really hard because you only have that split-second to determine what to do. It's crazy. I try my best to use clear judgment and make clear decisions, but a lot of those collisions are unavoidable. You're either going to let them catch it and take a step to see what's going on, or there's going to be a collision."

5. Antrel Rolle

"It's fine for the offensive players but I'm on the defensive side of the ball. So are you telling me that now I have to slow down? I think we're already being cautious of what we're doing and how we're attacking the ball or how we're trying to make a tackle. I think that's absolutely ridiculous because under any circumstances you can't just absolutely have control over your body when you're pursuing a tackle.

"This is the game of football. This is a game of speed. This is a game of power. This is a game of physical guys going to battle. Once you start saying to guys 'You'll get suspended for a game,' that's when you're going to get a very, very tentative football game."

6. Andre Johnson

"A lot of times, guys are just out there playing and they'll just go and get you. I don't really think they're thinking about the helmet-to-helmet contact. You'll probably see a lot of players more hesitant before they make their hits."

7. Clinton Portis

"As far as dude running the ball, or running with the ball, and somebody hit you helmet to helmet, I think you got an opportunity to go down. You got an opportunity to slide."

8. Phillip Daniels

"Have we become a cupcake league? We already have better helmets and gear. Wonder how the old school players feel about this. Not in the back of minds when talking about 18 game season so let's play football please....Even guys using shoulders to hit are getting flagged for helmet-to-helmet. Defense is getting sloppy because guys are avoiding fines and will get worse if suspending comes into play....

"There has been a warning sticker on the back of every helmet since pee wee league. When u put that helmet on you know you will hit or be hit. We still choose to play. Parents are asked to sign forms for their kids to play because of the dangers of the sport. Nothing is different."

#2 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Goodell is killing the sport. I for one have zero interest in watching a game where teams march unimpeded down the field.

Does he realize what happened with the Arena league? Scores were 60-63 every game, great runners had thirty yards a game, and the team that lost had a drop instead of a TD.

The funny thing is a college player is laying in the hospital paralyzed and they didn't kick the kid that hit him out of school and smear his name as a dirty player.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#3 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Whats his name was on last night nfl network the GM for KC i think. he said they have no intention to correct penalty calls even though reviewed by instant replay shows that they made the wrong call. So right there tells you that these guys are all about power and profits and not about safety and fairness.

got it wrong rick mcay of the falcons http://www.nfl.com/v...-to-helmet-hits
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#4 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Also, wait until the next time an offensive linemen throws a dirty block and a DL or LB gets knocked out of some games with a knee injury and see if a $75,000 fine gets put on them. Won't happen because a) the public won't notice it and Goodell only cares about perception and b) offenses have to score.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

one way to solve the problem is as it should be is don't throw a pass to a receiver that puts him in harms way to a defensive players right to put on a hit . these Morons want to say that the defense must reinvent how to tackle a guy who may not be able to sustain his position on the field of play that they the defensive player must yield . a couple of weeks ago i saw someone take the titans QB and body slam him like a rag doll .
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

Marcus wiley made a really good point.

1st he said there was a play where he was going after peyton manning (who is 6'5") and he was aiming for this chest and closed his eyes before impact and his team mate on the other end cut manning low bringing him down a few inches and he wound up hitting manning in the head and got flagged for it.

He also said that NFL teams DO NOT practice tackling, so how can they practice new tackling rules? you can't tackle your won players during practice especially not the QB unless you wanna get cut
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

What shitty reporting. There is NO new rule.

View PostA1elbow, on 21 October 2010 - 11:02 AM, said:

Goodell is killing the sport. I for one have zero interest in watching a game where teams march unimpeded down the field.

Fine, don;t watch. Your predicition is no where near accurate however.

Does he realize what happened with the Arena league? Scores were 60-63 every game, great runners had thirty yards a game, and the team that lost had a drop instead of a TD.

High scores int he Arena League had NOTHING to do witht he absence of big hits. They had some pretty brutal ones due to the sideline wall.

The funny thing is a college player is laying in the hospital paralyzed and they didn't kick the kid that hit him out of school and smear his name as a dirty player.

Wasn't the kid who is paralyzed the one doing the hitting? This argument makes no sense.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 21 October 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

Marcus wiley made a really good point.

1st he said there was a play where he was going after peyton manning (who is 6'5") and he was aiming for this chest and closed his eyes before impact and his team mate on the other end cut manning low bringing him down a few inches and he wound up hitting manning in the head and got flagged for it.

He also said that NFL teams DO NOT practice tackling, so how can they practice new tackling rules? you can't tackle your won players during practice especially not the QB unless you wanna get cut

Chris Mortenson was talking about this on a radio show today. Saying the tackling in the NFL has gooten terribly sloppy. Partly due to the fact that no one runs a camp like they should. They don't practice tackling. He thinks the lack of contact in training camps increases the injuries as a whole in the NFL.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

I am of the few that thinks this old rule should be enforced more diligently. I dont like the idea of loosing Holmes Edwards Cotchery Keller... because of a helmet to helmet hit. Would much rather not have all the injurys and play with a complete team.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

View PostC l u t c H 385, on 21 October 2010 - 09:36 PM, said:

What shitty reporting. There is NO new rule.

Fine, don;t watch. Your predicition is no where near accurate however.

High scores int he Arena League had NOTHING to do witht he absence of big hits. They had some pretty brutal ones due to the sideline wall.

Wasn't the kid who is paralyzed the one doing the hitting? This argument makes no sense.

Hockey-style hits aren't like mid-field collisions. Hits along the side wall are perpendicular, not head on.

Doesn't matter, the point is the collisions. The point is that if you are going to freak out about impacts causing injuries, you have to be consistent. The NCAA isn't knee jerking about a college kid getting paralyzed, but the NFL is jumping the gun about a player who always misses time getting knocked out.

Fine, I won't watch if it turns into an all out scoring league. Is that supposed to put me in my place? f*** off with your aimless attack posts.

And yes, it is about scores. The NFL has taken every chance it has to increase scoring in recent years. Look at the portrayal of the Patriots and Panthers after their SB. Who did they beat to get in there? Rams and Colts. The defensive teams won so the rules got changed. Pretending the league suddenly cares about player health is to ignore the first four decades where they didn't, or to assume the league was so stupid they thought it was okay to slam around, head to head. That attitude is hard to buy by the seventies, much less the eighties on.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

It's not gonna turn into AFL-esque scoring. You are aloud to hit people over the middle in the AFL. There are many reasons scoring is higher in the AFL. The prohibition of launched helmet-to-helmet hits is NOT one of them.

Who do you want to be consistent? The NFL doesn't control the NCAA.

The NFL DOES care about player health. Why else would they make the rules? Why do you think research is done on collisions and concusions? The players are the product.

You talk about about my posts being aimless when NONE of your arguments have any basis in reality.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

View PostC l u t c H 385, on 21 October 2010 - 11:44 PM, said:

It's not gonna turn into AFL-esque scoring. You are aloud to hit people over the middle in the AFL. There are many reasons scoring is higher in the AFL. The prohibition of launched helmet-to-helmet hits is NOT one of them.

Who do you want to be consistent? The NFL doesn't control the NCAA.

The NFL DOES care about player health. Why else would they make the rules? Why do you think research is done on collisions and concusions? The players are the product.

You talk about about my posts being aimless when NONE of your arguments have any basis in reality.

Yeah, just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean it happens a lot. They are allowed to run the ball, they just don't. The vast majority of passes are downfield, especially targeting the receiver that is allowed a running start.

Yeah, they are seperate, but the point is that the NCAA doesn't feel the need to shut down defenses. Don't pretend you don't understand that is what I'm saying. How is it that the NCAA, with a much larger base of football players who aren't already millionaires, isn't throwing weight around and the NFL is?

The NFL does care about player health. But that isn't their only concern. I wished I lived in the sunshine world where when the NFL says something I ate it up unquestioningly and asking for more. I guess I'll live in my world where I question motives, especially when prior circumstances give me pause.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

View PostA1elbow, on 22 October 2010 - 03:01 AM, said:

Yeah, just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean it happens a lot. They are allowed to run the ball, they just don't. The vast majority of passes are downfield, especially targeting the receiver that is allowed a running start.

Way to make my argument for me.

Yeah, they are seperate, but the point is that the NCAA doesn't feel the need to shut down defenses. Don't pretend you don't understand that is what I'm saying. How is it that the NCAA, with a much larger base of football players who aren't already millionaires, isn't throwing weight around and the NFL is?

The NFL isn't 'shutting down defenses' by increasing fines for helmet to helmet hits. As far as the NCAA, no I have no idea what the f*** you're talking about. The NCAA has all sorts of rules if that's what you mean by 'throwing weight around.' The NCAA can't fine a kid with no money $75,000. However, they HAVE suspended kids for stupid, dangerous hits: http://www.usatoday....lmet-hits_N.htm

Apparently this was this Big Ten's choice but if that's who is the organization who makes the call you can't fault the NCAA for NOT doing it, or the NFL for the NCAA NOT doing it.

The NFL does care about player health. But that isn't their only concern. I wished I lived in the sunshine world where when the NFL says something I ate it up unquestioningly and asking for more. I guess I'll live in my world where I question motives, especially when prior circumstances give me pause.

So now for a health concern to be valid it has to be the only concern of a league? How does that make sense? Are companies who follow OSHA laws stupid if they also save money by keeping employees safe?

What motive are you questioning? Keeping players safe is in the best interest of the league. It has nothing to do with sunshine.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users