NYJetsFan.com Forums: Man Robs Bank To Get Medical Care In Jail - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Azjetfan is the nyjetsfan #1 pick
azjetfan Icon : (15 May 2015 - 08:34 PM) As the number one pick I declare this day Azjetfan day
azjetfan Icon : (15 May 2015 - 09:10 PM) Nix that. Tomorrow
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 May 2015 - 10:41 PM) So Santana your not ready to call it a career yet i see
santana Icon : (16 May 2015 - 10:43 PM) Santana could be on the bears
santana Icon : (16 May 2015 - 10:45 PM) Or better yet the patriots :D
santana Icon : (16 May 2015 - 10:45 PM) JIMMY G-SPOT
azjetfan Icon : (16 May 2015 - 11:05 PM) Santana could be the new ball boy for the Pats.
azjetfan Icon : (16 May 2015 - 11:05 PM) Since they fired the guys who are completely innocent
azjetfan Icon : (16 May 2015 - 11:06 PM) Santana can you deflate a bag of balls in under 90 seconds?
azjetfan Icon : (16 May 2015 - 11:11 PM) Colin Kaepernick is rumored to be back on the block. I wonder if his price has dropped.
santana Icon : (17 May 2015 - 03:45 PM) Eagles should get him
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 May 2015 - 06:17 PM) What is the status in the contract with Mo?
azjetfan Icon : (19 May 2015 - 08:17 PM) He is under contract for this year and we have the option to franchise him next.
Mr_Jet Icon : (19 May 2015 - 10:32 PM) THE KNICKS!!!
Mr_Jet Icon : (19 May 2015 - 10:33 PM) at #4
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (20 May 2015 - 09:20 AM) BAN MR_JET
Mr_Jet Icon : (20 May 2015 - 11:58 AM) LOL. It's not where you pick, it's who you pick. Knicks fans should remember Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul were both #4 picks also.
RetireChrebet Icon : (20 May 2015 - 02:32 PM) Chan Gailey says Geno is the starter heading into the season. I believe Fitzpatrick is hurt and probably won't even make the roster due to injury otherwise Fitzpatrick should have got a fair shake.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (20 May 2015 - 03:08 PM) egno did look really good in that last game.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (20 May 2015 - 03:08 PM) he just makes too many dumb mistakes
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 May 2015 - 04:23 PM) No excuses for Geno, we have a very good team and its up to the QB to not screw it up
Jetsfan115 Icon : (20 May 2015 - 04:43 PM) lol go back to the color coded sanchez system rex had
azjetfan Icon : (20 May 2015 - 06:48 PM) RACIST!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 May 2015 - 11:50 AM) Sign Wilkerson damnit!!
azjetfan Icon : (21 May 2015 - 02:01 PM) They will. He isn't in any rush to get into a voluntary mini camp
azjetfan Icon : (21 May 2015 - 02:01 PM) They aren't pushing it either
MikeGangGree... Icon : (25 May 2015 - 06:31 PM) WOOOOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (26 May 2015 - 05:27 PM) FIRE IDZIK!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (26 May 2015 - 07:23 PM) JETS will cut Miliner cause like I've said since Day 1 he was a BUST!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (26 May 2015 - 07:23 PM) MARK MY WORDS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (26 May 2015 - 07:23 PM) HE WILL BE CUT!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 May 2015 - 08:12 PM) FIRE GG
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 May 2015 - 08:13 PM) KEEP MILLINER
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 May 2015 - 08:13 PM) DEMOTE RAUL
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 May 2015 - 08:19 PM) SIGN RIC FLAIR
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 May 2015 - 09:05 PM) If they give up on milliner already that just shows how dumb they are
Mr_Jet Icon : (27 May 2015 - 01:06 PM) I would think they'd get rid of Kyle Wilson before Milliner.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 May 2015 - 02:00 PM) Cutting Milliner would be retarded
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 May 2015 - 02:00 PM) And so far, it seems like our new fo isn't retarded so I'm hopeful they keep him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 May 2015 - 02:02 PM) Cromartie is pretty much on a 1 yr deal, let Milliner heal up slowly and maybe next season hes our starting CB again.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 May 2015 - 02:07 PM) The Jets just made sure they weren't counting on a guy coming off a achilles injury to start at CB in a scheme that needs good CB play, its called trying to give your coach the pieces to succeed..
azjetfan Icon : (27 May 2015 - 09:26 PM) Kyle Wilson is with the Saints now
santana Icon : (28 May 2015 - 11:58 PM) WOO
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:02 PM) LETS GO RANGERS
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:50 PM) Simms to the bills
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Man Robs Bank To Get Medical Care In Jail

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,159
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Man Robs Bank to Get Medical Care in Jail
By Zachary Roth

http://news.yahoo.co...al-care-in-jail

Some people who need medical care but can't afford it go to the emergency room. Others just hope they'll get better. James Richard Verone robbed a bank.

Earlier this month, Verone (pictured), a 59-year-old convenience store clerk, walked into a Gaston, N.C., bank and handed the cashier a note demanding $1 and medical attention. Then he waited calmly for police to show up.

He's now in jail and has an appointment with a doctor this week.

Verone's problems started when he lost the job he'd held for 17 years as a Coca Cola deliveryman, amid the economic downturn. He found new work driving a truck, but it didn't last. Eventually, he took a part-time position at the convenience store.

But Verone's body wasn't up to it. The bending and lifting made his back ache. He had problems with his left foot, making him limp. He also suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.

Then he noticed a protrusion on his chest. "The pain was beyond the tolerance that I could accept," Verone told the Gaston Gazette. "I kind of hit a brick wall with everything."

Verone knew he needed help--and he didn't want to be a burden on his sister and brothers. He applied for food stamps, but they weren't enough either.
So he hatched a plan. On June 9, he woke up, showered, ironed his shirt. He mailed a letter to the Gazette, listing the return address as the Gaston
County Jail.

"When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me," Verone wrote in the letter. "This robbery is being committed by me for one dollar. I am of sound mind but not so much sound body."

Then Verone hailed a cab to take him to the RBC Bank. Inside, he handed the teller his $1 robbery demand.

"I didn't have any fears," said Verone. "I told the teller that I would sit over here and wait for police."

The teller was so frightened that she had to be taken to the hospital to be checked out. Verone, meanwhile, was taken to jail, just as he'd planned it.

Because he only asked for $1, Verone was charged with larceny, not bank robbery. But he said that if his punishment isn't severe enough, he plans to tell the judge that he'll do it again. His $100,000 bond has been reduced to $2,000, but he says he doesn't plan to pay it.

In jail, Verone said he skips dinner to avoid too much contact with the other inmates. He's already seen some nurses and is scheduled to see a doctor on Friday. He said he's hoping to receive back and foot surgery, and get the protrusion on his chest treated. Then he plans to spend a few years in jail, before getting out in time to collect Social Security and move to the beach.

Verone also presented the view that if the United States had a health-care system which offered people more government support, he wouldn't have had to make the choice he did.

"If you don't have your health you don't have anything," Verone said.

The Affordable Care Act, President Obama's health-care overhaul passed by Congress last year, was designed to make it easier for Americans in situations like Verone's to get health insurance. But most of its provisions don't go into effect until 2014.

As it is, Verone said he thinks he chose the best of a bunch of bad options. "I picked jail."
0

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,762
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

wow, its sad to read a story like that. the poor guy had to go to jail in order to get medical care.
0

#3 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,314
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

What's even more sad is every member of congress has health care coverage and it's guys like James Verone who's taxes paid for their coverage. We can pay for their's but we can't pay for each other's? We need to wake up.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#4 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

  • 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 31,145
  • Joined: 02-May 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:---
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

    Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Back in the day I used to know a few guys who'd commit crimes and get busted so they can get their teeth fixed and what have you. Definitely f*cked up.
0

#5 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,314
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 22 June 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

Back in the day I used to know a few guys who'd commit crimes and get busted so they can get their teeth fixed and what have you. Definitely f*cked up.


Yep and what pisses me off is our neighbors to the north have free health care coverage for all their citizens.

I just don't understand why Americans don't realize that the more healthier we all are the more productive workforce we will have. I'd be perfectly willing to pay a little more in taxes so that my neighbor can go to the doctor when he is sick or injured. The faster he gets better the faster he gets back to work (and becomes a taxpayer again).

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

I read this article yesterday on Yahoo. My favorite part is that the dude is quoted as saying that he plans to spend a few years in jail so by the time he gets out, he's eligible for social security. That's hardcore.
0

#7 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

  • 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 31,145
  • Joined: 02-May 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:---
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

    Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 22 June 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

I read this article yesterday on Yahoo. My favorite part is that the dude is quoted as saying that he plans to spend a few years in jail so by the time he gets out, he's eligible for social security. That's hardcore.


Hahahaha
0

#8 User is offline   MoMilk1991 Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,946
  • Joined: 10-March 07
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 22 June 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

Yep and what pisses me off is our neighbors to the north have free health care coverage for all their citizens.

I just don't understand why Americans don't realize that the more healthier we all are the more productive workforce we will have. I'd be perfectly willing to pay a little more in taxes so that my neighbor can go to the doctor when he is sick or injured. The faster he gets better the faster he gets back to work (and becomes a taxpayer again).


But but but, it's socialism! Ooohh, potentially scary word!
Posted Image
0

#9 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 712
  • Joined: 21-February 07

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:20 AM

I just don't think it's fair to people who lead healthy lifestyles to have to pay for the health care of those who don't.

I mean, there's already people who want to regulate what your food can be cooked in, or what you can eat at all. What happens when you give your neighbor a financial interest in your health? You think he's gonna want more or less control over your life choices?

I work out and eat fairly well. Am I gonna get tax breaks as opposed to the dumb ass that smokes, drinks an insane amount, can't control what he eats and refuses to exercise?
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

  • 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 31,145
  • Joined: 02-May 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:---
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

    Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

View PostC l u t c H 385, on 23 June 2011 - 03:20 AM, said:

I work out and eat fairly well. Am I gonna get tax breaks as opposed to the dumb ass that smokes, drinks an insane amount, can't control what he eats and refuses to exercise?


Great point bro unfortunately the strong take care of the weak. That's how society works and that's what makes Westerns and or modernized societies better for an overall life and why people who were born in less fortunate countries flock over here or to England ect, ect.

It's just the compassion that comes with being human. It's labeled as inhumane to let another man suffer if one as the mind, fortitude and wealth to help someone who doesn't quite have it together. Also, was as being the smartest living organisms on this planet should know how to ration food, drink and moderation and avoid the dangers of heavy smoking and such. However what we make and do inflicts the same people who we make and do things for. Canned food in plastic, beverages loaded with sugar, stored in non biodegratable bottles that pose as a potential health risk to all that consume them and I'm just merely scratching the surface.

If we are going to continually poison, our own people then don't you think we should look after the weaker majority? I think so.
0

#11 User is offline   santana Icon

  • I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 7,936
  • Joined: 03-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

"Reducing inequity is the highest form of human achievement"

"From those to whom much is given, much is expected"
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat
0

#12 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 712
  • Joined: 21-February 07

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

View PostS-Dubb, on 23 June 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

Great point bro unfortunately the strong take care of the weak. That's how society works and that's what makes Westerns and or modernized societies better for an overall life and why people who were born in less fortunate countries flock over here or to England ect, ect.

It's just the compassion that comes with being human. It's labeled as inhumane to let another man suffer if one as the mind, fortitude and wealth to help someone who doesn't quite have it together. Also, was as being the smartest living organisms on this planet should know how to ration food, drink and moderation and avoid the dangers of heavy smoking and such. However what we make and do inflicts the same people who we make and do things for. Canned food in plastic, beverages loaded with sugar, stored in non biodegratable bottles that pose as a potential health risk to all that consume them and I'm just merely scratching the surface.

If we are going to continually poison, our own people then don't you think we should look after the weaker majority? I think so.


I'm fine with certain instances of contributing to the greater good with the government's gun at my head. We need roads, schools, police, etc. But it's gotta stop somewhere. The social systems we have are abused enough as it is.

If you wanna help your fellow man, that's great. It's a virtuous endeavor and one that I would likely choose as well especially if I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to do so more. I just don;t think it's the place of the government to FORCE people to pay for other people's poor choices so often.

I'd prefer the ability yo help out my friends and family than to be forced to dump money to a bunch of people who will waste it with their piss poor choices.

None of those sugary drinks would exist if there wasn't a demand. I'm all for letting people make their own choices. Ya know, freedom? They just shouldn't be looking for handouts from others when their own choices have consequences.

I hardly ever drink soda. Pretty much the only time is when its pepsi with whiskey in it haha. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be pissed if the government bans it or taxes it out of my budget. I appreciate having the option of making that choice. I don't want the government (and remember, "government" just means your neighbors) having a huge say in my daily life.
Posted Image
0

#13 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 712
  • Joined: 21-February 07

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

View Postsantana, on 23 June 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

"Reducing inequity is the highest form of human achievement"

"From those to whom much is given, much is expected"


That's fine but the government shouldn't be forcing people to this belief.

To reduce inequity do you take your pay check every week and split it among the first 10 homeless people you find? Even stevens, look at all this achievement. No one can afford a house!
Posted Image
0

#14 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,314
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostC l u t c H 385, on 23 June 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

I'm fine with certain instances of contributing to the greater good with the government's gun at my head. We need roads, schools, police, etc. But it's gotta stop somewhere. The social systems we have are abused enough as it is.

If you wanna help your fellow man, that's great. It's a virtuous endeavor and one that I would likely choose as well especially if I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to do so more. I just don;t think it's the place of the government to FORCE people to pay for other people's poor choices so often.

I'd prefer the ability yo help out my friends and family than to be forced to dump money to a bunch of people who will waste it with their piss poor choices.

None of those sugary drinks would exist if there wasn't a demand. I'm all for letting people make their own choices. Ya know, freedom? They just shouldn't be looking for handouts from others when their own choices have consequences.

I hardly ever drink soda. Pretty much the only time is when its pepsi with whiskey in it haha. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be pissed if the government bans it or taxes it out of my budget. I appreciate having the option of making that choice. I don't want the government (and remember, "government" just means your neighbors) having a huge say in my daily life.



But you see you may be able to afford to eat healthier but not everybody can. When a bag of potato chips costs less than a bag of apples in this country, that's a problem. When a two liter of pop costs less than a half gallon of milk in this country, that's a problem. A family that makes less than $15,000 a year can barely pay their bills let alone buy enough of the foods we're supposed to have daily on the food pyramid (or whatever it is they just changed it to). Plus once the government starts talking about taking the soda machines out of schools and changing the menu to a more nutritious menu that's when certain people start crying about the government trying to control local school districts and those decisions should be left up to the parents in those districts. Then when people start crying about taxes and teacher's salaries and how we need to cut budgets, guess which part of the curriculum in schools is one of the first to go. Physical Education. How are people supposed to learn about the benefits to eating healthy and exercise, if they don't learn it at a young age in school? That's where it starts.


Anyway that's one part of the problem. Not everybody who is sick and needs health care is sick because of poor decisions they've made. How is a person with leukemia at fault for their illness? How is a kid who is too young to have spent a lifetime of eating sugary foods at fault for getting diabetes? How is a person who is badly injured by a drunk driver and needs months of medical care to recover at fault for their injuries? We can all eat healthy and exercise but that still doesn't mean we're unable to get sick or injured. Some health problems can happen because of genetics or just from getting some bad luck.

What is even worse is many people can't even afford go to the doctor for regular checkups. Some health problems can be caught much earlier than they are if a person were able to see a doctor much sooner. If a man with high blood pressure knew about it months (or years) before he has a massive heart attack, don't you think it would be better to make sure that man has coverage earlier rather than later? The cost for a doctor to take that man's blood pressure and give him a prescription for pills to lower his blood pressure will be much less in the long run, than it would be if that same man were rushed to the ER and have to have emergency heart surgery. Because if that man goes to the ER and has no health care coverage, you're still going to be paying for his health care anyway. That checkup would've cost you much less than that ER visit and the weeks of recovery afterwords if he survives. Many of our major health problems could be caught sooner if people were able to see a doctor before it becomes an emergency.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#15 User is offline   santana Icon

  • I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 7,936
  • Joined: 03-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

View PostC l u t c H 385, on 23 June 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

That's fine but the government shouldn't be forcing people to this belief.

To reduce inequity do you take your pay check every week and split it among the first 10 homeless people you find? Even stevens, look at all this achievement. No one can afford a house!



Catch 22
you shouldn't have to be forced just take it.. TAKE IT WILLINGLY
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users