NYJetsFan.com Forums: California Allows College Aid To Illegal Immigrants - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (27 July 2014 - 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:49 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:16 AM) any news on Amaro? havent seen anything on twitter.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 03:56 PM) only 39 days 20 hours and 3 min to go till the JETS kick off the season on Sept 7th at 1pm against the Oakland Raiders
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:59 PM) Amaro practiced today in full pads
Resize Shouts Area

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

California Allows College Aid To Illegal Immigrants

#1 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

SACRAMENTO (Reuters) - California Governor Jerry Brown on Saturday signed a bill giving illegal immigrant college students access to state-funded financial aid, the second half of two-part legislation known as the "Dream Act."

The controversial measure, which passed the Democrat-controlled legislature on a party-line vote in September, represents a victory for immigrant-rights activists ahead of the 2012 presidential election. California is the nation's most populous state.

Only two other states, Texas and New Mexico, allow illegal immigrants to qualify for state financial aid for college, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

"Going to college is a dream that promises intellectual excitement and creative thinking," Brown said in a written statement issued by his office.

"The Dream Act benefits us all by giving top students a chance to improve their lives and the lives of all of us," he said.

Brown in July fulfilled a campaign promise by signing into law a companion bill to allow illegal immigrants to receive privately-funded college scholarships. Together the two bills have been dubbed the "California Dream Act."

A federal Dream Act that would have created a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants who attend college or serve in the military failed in Senate last year.

Opponents of the California Dream Act have argued that public funds should not be used to help illegal immigrants, especially as California faces deep budget woes that have prompted cuts in education and higher tuitions at the state's public colleges and universities.

"Citizens are having a hard enough time getting the classes they need now," Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Hesperia Republican, wrote in a September 9 letter to Brown urging him to veto the legislation.

"(California already offers) students in the country illegally in-state tuition; legally documented students from the next state over can only dream of such a benefit," Donnelly said.

California is one of about a dozen states that allows illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition, based on attendance and graduation from a state high school.

Under the new law, written by Senator Gil Cedillo, a Los Angeles Democrat, those same illegal immigrants would be eligible for aid from the University of California, California State university system and the state's 112 community colleges.

They could also apply for Cal Grants, which are cash awards based on academic performance.

For the 2007-2008 academic year, the University of California reports that less than three-tenths of one percent of the system's 220,000 students were immigrants who qualified for in-state tuition.

More than 68 percent of those 1,941 students were U.S. citizens or "documented" immigrants, according to the University of California.

At the state universities, the new law would affect 3,633 students, or less than one percent of the 440,000 students enrolled in the current school year.

Of the nearly 2.9 million community college enrollees, 34,057 would be affected

No wonder Cali is bankrupt.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   ganggreen2003 Icon

• Hi-5 master
  • Icon
  • Interests:J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
    NY YANKEES
    SYRACUSE ORANGE
    AND ANYTHING NEW YORK

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

RI is in the same process right now because we have a moron as a Governor and he is even thinking about allowing the illegals to get a drivers license...RI is becoming a haven for illegals...I hate that it's happening and it's because the people who voted our Governor in are idiots in what was one of the closest elections for Governor in RI....It makes me SICK
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well YOU BETTER BLEED GREEN & WHITE!!!!

https://twitter.com/#!/NYJ_Rob3136

http://www.facebook....47353176?v=wall

http://www.nyjetsfan.../gg03on1050.mp3

S-Dubb: like if she was giving me a handjob and I saw that thumb I don't know how I'd react

#3 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 09 October 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

No wonder Cali is bankrupt.

That's what happens when we elect Hollywood actors who know little about policy to govern, just because we like the way they mug for the camera and the cute sound bites the give that make us feel good. It's good that California now has a governor that wants to give immigrants a chance to get an education rather than give them a free ride on his Austrian dick....after they clean his house of course.

Study: Many Americans can't pass citizenship test

Posted: 03/22/2011
By: PJ O'Keefe

It's the way that thousands gain citizenship every year, but a new report by Newsweek shows many Americans need to do more studying on the U.S. citizenship test.

Newsweek asked 1,000 Americans to take the U.S. citizenship test.

Of those, 38 percent flunked the test.

The test covers American government, history, civics and rights.

Ten questions are randomly chosen for the test taker. You can miss four and still pass.

But 29 percent of the people in this study couldn't name the vice president, 44 percent couldn't define the Bill of Rights and 6 percent couldn't find Independence Day on the calendar.

How well do you know your country? Test yourself by visiting http://www.newsweek....umb-are-we.html and clicking on the Take The Quiz graphic.

And no cheating either...

New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 10 October 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

That's what happens when we elect Hollywood actors who know little about policy to govern, just because we like the way they mug for the camera and the cute sound bites the give that make us feel good. It's good that California now has a governor that wants to give immigrants a chance to get an education rather than give them a free ride on his Austrian dick....after they clean his house of course.

Its not about immagration, its about people who are here who have not gone through the proper channels. America is a land of people who came here from other places I am all for people coming here to better themselves. Your right Arnold was another bad decision of the state. Bad decision after bad decision.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#6 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 10 October 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

It's good that California now has a governor that wants to give immigrants a chance to get an education

That would be all well and good if they were actualy immigrants rather than criminals that suck the lifeblood from this country. The only education I'd give them is the study of what happens when a bullet travels at a high velocity through their brain matter.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#7 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 10 October 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

That would be all well and good if they were actualy immigrants rather than criminals that suck the lifeblood from this country. The only education I'd give them is the study of what happens when a bullet travels at a high velocity through their brain matter.

Yes please let's shoot illegal immigrants in the head even if they are 20somethings that were brought to the U.S. illegally when they were small children. It doesn't matter if they've lived here for almost their entire lives. It doesn't matter that they speak English as their first language and have assimilated into American culture. It doesn't matter if they're willing to serve the U.S. in order to become U.S. citizens. No they're criminals and therefore deserve to to me shot in the head. USA!!! USA!!!! USA!!! ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!

MILWAUKEE — It was exhilarating for Maricela Aguilar to stand on the steps of the federal courthouse here one day last summer and reveal for the first time in public that she is an illegal immigrant.

José Varible, an illegal immigrant, is a college student in Kenosha, Wis.

“It’s all about losing that shame of who you are,” Ms. Aguilar, a college student who was born in Mexico but has lived in the United States without legal documents since she was 3 years old, said of her “coming out” at a rally in June.

Those were heady times for thousands of immigrant students who declared their illegal status during a nationwide campaign for a bill in Congress that would have put them on a path to legal residence. In December that bill, known as the Dream Act, passed the House, then failed in the Senate.

President Obama insisted in his State of the Union address and in interviews that he wanted to try again on the bill this year. But with Republicans who vehemently oppose the legislation holding crucial committee positions in the new House, even optimists like Ms. Aguilar believe its chances are poor to none in the next two years.

That leaves students like her who might have benefited from the bill — an estimated 1.2 million nationwide — in a legal twilight.

The president says he supports their cause, and immigration officials say illegal immigrant students with no criminal record are not among their priorities for deportation. But federal immigration authorities removed a record number of immigrants from the country last year, nearly 393,000, while the local police are rapidly expanding their role in immigration enforcement. Students often get caught.

Illegal immigrants also face new restrictions many states are imposing on their access to public education, driver’s licenses and jobs. And for those like Ms. Aguilar who came out last year to proclaim their illegal status, there is no going back to the shadows.

Republicans who will lead their party in the House on immigration issues say illegal immigrant students should not be spared from deportation. Representative Lamar Smith of Texas, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, led the opposition to the Dream Act, calling it “an American nightmare” that would allow illegal immigrants to displace American students from public colleges.

Mr. Smith and other Republicans on the Judiciary Committee have pledged to block any legislation giving legal status to illegal immigrants, which they reject as amnesty for lawbreakers. Still, as Politico first reported on Monday, Senators Charles E. Schumer of New York, a Democrat, and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, a Republican, have begun preliminary talks to see whether there is enough support in Congress to try to pass a comprehensive immigration overhaul in coming months.

In the weeks since the Senate vote, many young illegal immigrants are grappling with the letdown after a campaign that mobilized thousands of them for sit-in protests and text message blitzes of Congressional lawmakers.

“Many have become extremely frustrated, sad, confused and without a lot of answers as to how to move forward,” said Roberto G. Gonzales, a sociologist at the University of Washington who has surveyed young illegal immigrants. “They had a lot of hope that their activities were going to change the minds of the country. Having the door slammed in their face hit many of them really hard.”

A moment of truth, Mr. Gonzales said, comes when the students graduate from college. Many excel academically, but without work authorization, they cannot be legally employed. Some immigrants with bachelor’s degrees end up busing restaurant dishes and cleaning offices, falling back on the jobs of their less educated parents, who often struggled to put them through college.

Hostility toward illegal immigrants has grown in many states. Lawmakers in Georgia and Virginia are considering measures to ban illegal immigrants from all public colleges. Bills to deny state resident tuition rates to illegal immigrants are under consideration here in Wisconsin, as well as in Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska and Indiana. Only a few states, like Colorado and Maryland, are going the opposite direction, debating measures to allow illegal immigrants to pay the lower in-state tuition rates.

In the absence of a student bill in Congress, Obama administration officials are doing little to assist illegal immigrants who might be eligible for legal status if it passed. Department of Homeland Security officials said they would continue to reject any broad moratorium on deportations for those students.

Immigration agents have been instructed to focus on arresting immigrants who are convicted criminals, implicitly steering away from students without criminal records. When students do get caught, officials are using executive powers to postpone or cancel their deportations, they said.

Brian P. Hale, the senior spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said the agency “uses discretion on a case by case basis, as appropriate.”

But senior administration officials said they did not want to make wider use of those powers for fear of deepening the conflict with Mr. Smith and other Republicans, who might try to limit the authority granted by immigration law and further stiffen their opposition to measures like the Dream Act. The officials spoke anonymously, saying they could discuss policy more freely that way.

The strategizing in Washington is doing little for Ms. Aguilar, 19, a junior at Marquette University here.

“If your name is out there immediately attached with ‘undocumented,’ then there is always this fear of being deported,” she said.

But Ms. Aguilar said she was not as dispirited as many other students like her because she still felt the elation that came after she revealed her illegal status, then traveled to Washington to watch the December vote from the Senate gallery.

“I think losing the shame overshadows the fear,” she said. “I’d much rather clarify to the public that being undocumented is just a circumstance I find myself in. I’d much rather have that out in the public than just living in fear.”

Immigrant activists say that coming out may have given some protection to student leaders like Ms. Aguilar, since administration officials would prefer to avoid the furor that would follow if one of them was detained. Ms. Aguilar also admits she has not yet had to face some of the hardest consequences of her status. An honors student in her Milwaukee high school, she was accepted to Marquette, a private Jesuit university, on a full tuition scholarship.

After the Senate vote, she said, she is working with an immigrant organization here to build new support for the student bill.

“It failed and we were all like super bummed out,” she said. “So we came out of there crying, but defiant. We were like, one day we’re going to pass this, don’t even worry about it.”

That pluck is not shared by José Varible, 19, another illegal immigrant from Mexico, who was brought to the United States at age 9 by his parents. A student in business management at Gateway Technical College, a community college in Kenosha, Wis., Mr. Varible also held a formal coming out ceremony last summer.

Since he is not eligible for any financial aid, Mr. Varible struggles to pay his tuition. He cannot drive, since Wisconsin does not issue licenses without proof of legal United States residence. With a knack for technology hardware, he taught himself to repair computers. But without a Social Security number, he can take only odd jobs doing that work.

Combined with his new exposure as an illegal immigrant, he said, those limitations sometimes sink him into depression. He has even considered moving to Australia.

“You know, the thing is, I just don’t feel welcome here,” he said. “You cannot live as an undocumented immigrant.”

Yes let's shoot those criminals Maricela and Jose in the head! God bless America.

I wonder how many of you guys can pass the U.S. citizenship test? I've studied U.S. history extensively and even I didn't get all those questions right.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#8 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 10 October 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

I wonder how many of you guys can pass the U.S. citizenship test? I've studied U.S. history extensively and even I didn't get all those questions right.

I probably could not pass. The purpose of the info is more about understanding our culture than knowing random pieces of random US history. Just because I could not pass the test does not make someone less of a American.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 10 October 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

I probably could not pass. The purpose of the info is more about understanding our culture than knowing random pieces of random US history. Just because I could not pass the test does not make someone less of a American.

People like Jose and Maricela don't understand our culture? They grew up here and were educated in the same U.S. school system we were educated in. They and people in the same situation as they are in, are just as American as you and I. Jose and Maricela are just as much a part of American culture as we are. They shouldn't have to suffer now for the decisions their parents made when they were children. Decisions they had no control over at the time and decisions their parents might not have even been told about. And they sure as hell don't deserve to be labeled as criminals and shot in the head for it either.

This is their home country, this is the only home they've ever known and they should be allowed to stay and continue to contribute to our culture. For all we know Jose Varible could end up being the next Steve Jobs.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#10 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 10 October 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

People like Jose and Maricela don't understand our culture? They grew up here and were educated in the same U.S. school system we were educated in. They and people in the same situation as they are in, are just as American as you and I. Jose and Maricela are just as much a part of American culture as we are. They shouldn't have to suffer now for the decisions their parents made when they were children. Decisions they had no control over at the time and decisions their parents might not have even been told about. And they sure as hell don't deserve to be labeled as criminals and shot in the head for it either.

This is their home country, this is the only home they've ever known and they should be allowed to stay and continue to contribute to our culture. For all we know Jose Varible could end up being the next Steve Jobs.

I was not referring to anyone but myself and other Americans.If they are here by breaking a law they have no rights here in my opinion. There option should be to become a citizen through the proper channels or leave. You are right they could be the next great thing but they also could become the next killer or rapist as well. Like I said I am all for people coming here through the proper channels and working for the American dream.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:14 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 10 October 2011 - 10:54 PM, said:

I was not referring to anyone but myself and other Americans.If they are here by breaking a law they have no rights here in my opinion. There option should be to become a citizen through the proper channels or leave. You are right they could be the next great thing but they also could become the next killer or rapist as well. Like I said I am all for people coming here through the proper channels and working for the American dream.

First of all most of America's killers and rapist were born here and most immigrants (legal and illegal) aren't killers and rapist. What I'm saying is these young people are Americans. This country is the only country they have ever known. You can't tell them to go back to a country that hasn't been their home since they were small children and come back here through the proper channels. Their parents made this decision for them long ago. They don't deserve to be demonized and punished for something their parents did. They have been educated here K-12 already. They've already assimilated into American culture just by growing up in it. They know nothing else other than being an American. They've worked hard and done the right things their entire lives within the American system and deserve the right to go to college to try an achieve the American dream they've already worked hard to get to so far. The current immigration laws are not written in stone and were created by congress. And congress by passing the Dream Act would just be creating another immigration law that's all. Jose and Maricela are trying to achieve the American dream like you want. But it's the Republicans that are standing in these kids way.

What it all comes down to is that it's the Republicans who want to use this entire issue as just another scare tactic to scare middle class white people. They use the entire immigration issue to scare their base (and likely people like you and Bazooka FlyHi up there) into voting for them. Yes a bunch of poor, brown, funny talking people are coming to the U.S. and taking your jobs away. You know those jobs like standing in fields for 12 hours a day in the hot sun picking fruit and vegetables for very little pay. You know the jobs we all want to do so badly. But I love it. I love that the Republicans are vilifying Latinos especially by doing things like that "freedom papers" law they made down there in Arizona. Republicans are just handing the Latino vote to the Democrats for generations to come. A voting block that is also the fastest growing voting block in the country. So I hope the Republicans keep it up.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#12 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 11 October 2011 - 12:14 AM, said:

First of all most of America's killers and rapist were born here and most immigrants (legal and illegal) aren't killers and rapist. What I'm saying is these young people are Americans. This country is the only country they have ever known. You can't tell them to go back to a country that hasn't been their home since they were small children and come back here through the proper channels.

So if your parents robbed a bank 10 years ago and you are living of that money its Ok? Are you saying you want to do away with borders? People can come and go as they please? Having people here with no ID SS# or any way of tracking them or what they have done, Not paying taxes yet taking all the benifits, that sounds good to you? What are we telling people who are doing this now. Come to America have a child and hide out for a few years and you can be an American? Thats a great habit to encourage. We dont have the jobs now for people who are here by doing the right thing.

View PostMr_Jet, on 11 October 2011 - 12:14 AM, said:

What it all comes down to is that it's the Republicans who want to use this entire issue as just another scare tactic to scare middle class white people. They use the entire immigration issue to scare their base (and likely people like you and Bazooka FlyHi up there) into voting for them.

Your wrong here. Is this what liberals are saying now since they were caught with the the SS scare tactic? We need to see through the liberal nonsense. Why does it have to be white? You racist? No other class can be middle class. Just kidding on the cracker thing
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   theanalogkid Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

Subsidizing illegal immigration only encourages more illegal immigration.
...no hero in your tradgey, no daring in your escape, no salutes to your surrender, nothing noble in your fate....Rush, The Pass.

#14 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 11 October 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

So if your parents robbed a bank 10 years ago and you are living of that money its Ok? Are you saying you want to do away with borders? People can come and go as they please? Having people here with no ID SS# or any way of tracking them or what they have done, Not paying taxes yet taking all the benifits, that sounds good to you? What are we telling people who are doing this now. Come to America have a child and hide out for a few years and you can be an American? Thats a great habit to encourage. We dont have the jobs now for people who are here by doing the right thing.

Robbing a bank and living in the U.S. illegally isn't the same thing. Robbing a bank is a violent and traumatic crime, living in this country illegally is neither violent or traumatic to the rest of society. So that's a bad analogy. Not all crimes are the same. That's why people don't go to death row when they get convicted for shoplifting. Look I'm all for people who choose to break the law and live here illegally having to pay a fine and have to take the citizenship test. They must do things the right way, go to the back of the line all that. But for somebody who was brought here when they were TOO YOUNG to make the decision about where they should live, they should have the opportunity to stay. Whether you like it or not this is the only country they've ever known. This is the only home they know. No 3 year old child tells his or her parents "Mommy and daddy you're breaking the law and I'm not going to go to the U.S. illegally. I'm staying here alone." Small children don't make those types of decisions for themselves. Some of these young people don't even find out they are are illegal immigrants until their late teens when they want to get a driver's license or start applying for grants and scholarships. This is not a black and white issue with a simple answer. Now their parents had no idea 15-20 years ago that the Dream Act bill would be written. They'd have to be psychic to know that years into the future the congress would vote on something like the Dream Act. They came to this country 15-20 years ago to get out of poverty, not wait 20 years so their kids could steal our tax dollars. Oh yeah little known fact, illegal immigrants pay taxes too.

Your wrong here. Is this what liberals are saying now since they were caught with the the SS scare tactic? We need to see through the liberal nonsense. Why does it have to be white? You racist? No other class can be middle class. Just kidding on the cracker thing

Yes, Democrats do try to scare old people when it comes to issues like Social Security and Medicare. But the Republicans don't do themselves any favors when they try to privatize Social Security like Bush tried to and try to gut Medicare to the bone like Paul Ryan wants to. Democrats scare old people just like Republicans scare middle class white people. Both parties know what motivates their base to go out to the polls.

But I mean come on just look at the delegates at the Republican National Convention.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not exactly a sea of diversity in that crowd.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 12 October 2011 - 12:26 AM, said:

Robbing a bank and living in the U.S. illegally isn't the same thing.

They both break the law and live off the benifits. You can pick whatever crime you like. We are encouraging more people to come here illegally. " Come to America, Have a kid or 2 and hide out for a few years and we will reward you with a free college education.

Oh yeah little known fact, illegal immigrants pay taxes too.

How? They dont have a SS# for it to report to? They cant work legally. So now they are breaking 2 laws?
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

I think this is a good move. You can't stop the flow of illegal immigration, the US has such a high standard of living compared to it's Southern neighbors that no fence, or recession will stop people from trying to come here. We have to accept that fact. Opening up the channels for some of them to get a higher education and advance past the manual labor opportunities that are offered these people will only benefit us in the long run. Those of you that are worried about the cost, it takes less money to educate someone than it does to keep them locked up in prison.

The citizenship exam is very very easy. It is nominal. Both my parents took it. My grandmother took it as well and she was in her 70s at the time. She spoke minimal English but she did study for it. I didn't have to take it because my parents became citizens before I was 13 so all I had to do was answer like 4 questions, one of them was "Who is the current US President". If you can't pass the citizenship exam, you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

#17 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

I took the citizenship test back in 03/04 it was very easy for me. I don't see how any American could not pass it
Then again there are a lot of morons out there

I was not born here but I grew up American

Illegals do pay taxes
You don't need a SS to file
They are assigned a ITIN
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#18 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 12 October 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

They both break the law and live off the benifits. You can pick whatever crime you like. We are encouraging more people to come here illegally. " Come to America, Have a kid or 2 and hide out for a few years and we will reward you with a free college education.

I'm sure the child benefits too when the parents are arrested, the money is returned to the bank, and the child ends up living with relatives or in foster care. AGAIN the two crimes are NOT one in the same. That's why they come with different penalties. But you're too far in the woods to see that. Their parents came here to work not to have their kids steal from you 20 years down the line. A person is not going to risk their lives (many die trying to come here illegally) and deportation all so they can make you pay for their children's college education 2 decades later. Sometimes I think you really think you're the only person in the country that pays taxes. I pay them too everyday and I'm not complaining. I understand that's how we keep our "more perfect union" intact.

How? They dont have a SS# for it to report to? They cant work legally. So now they are breaking 2 laws?

This article will explain it better than I could.

Illegal immigrants pay taxes, too
(USA TODAY, April 10th 2008)
The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The tax system collects its due, even from a class of workers with little likelihood of claiming a refund and no hope of drawing a Social Security check.

Illegal immigrants are paying taxes to Uncle Sam, experts agree. Just how much they pay is hard to determine because the federal government doesn't fully tally it. But the latest figures available indicate it will amount to billions of dollars in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes this year. One rough estimate puts the amount of Social Security taxes alone at around $9 billion per year.

Paycheck withholding collects much of the federal tax from illegal workers, just as it does for legal workers.

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't track a worker's immigration status, yet many illegal immigrants fearful of deportation won't risk the government attention that will come from filing a return even if they might qualify for a refund. Economist William Ford of Middle Tennessee State University says there are no firm figures on how many taxpayers are in that situation.

"The real question is how many of them pay more than they owe. There are undoubtedly hundreds of thousands of people in that situation," Ford said.

But some illegal immigrants choose to file taxes and write a check come April 15, using an alternative to the Social Security number offered by the IRS so it can collect income tax from foreign workers.

"It's a mistake to think that no illegal immigrants pay taxes. They definitely do," said Martha Pantoja, who has been helping Hispanic immigrants this tax season as an IRS-certified volunteer tax preparer for the nonprofit Nashville Wealth Building Coalition.

Among those she has assisted is Eric Jimenez, a self-employed handyman who has worked in Nashville for several years. He feels obliged to pay taxes - even though, as Pantoja said, "nothing would happen" to him if he did not.

"I have an idea, a mentality, that to be a good citizen you have to pay taxes," he said. "Also, I'm conscious of the fact that the money we pay in taxes supports the schools and all the public services."

Pantoja said she has helped a number of construction workers who, because they are classified as independent contractors by their employers and have no taxes withheld, owe big tax bills come April. Beyond income tax, they have to pay the full Social Security and Medicare taxes due.

The Social Security Administration estimates that about three-quarters of illegal workers pay taxes that contribute to the overall solvency of Social Security and Medicare.

The agency estimates that for 2005, the last year for which figures are available, about $9 billion in taxes was paid on about $75 billion in wages from people who filed W2 forms with incorrect or mismatched data, which would include illegal immigrants who drew paychecks under fake names and Social Security numbers.

Spokesman Mark Hinkle says Social Security does not know how much of the $9 billion can be attributed to illegal immigrants. The number is certainly not 100 percent, but a significant portion probably comes from taxes paid by illegal immigrants.

Nine billion dollars sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but it is only about 1.5 percent of the total $593 billion paid into Social Security in 2005.

The impact on Social Security is significant, though, because most of that money is never claimed by the people who pay it but instead helps cover retirement checks to legal workers.

Federal law prohibits paying Social Security to illegal immigrants, but the administration factors in both legal and illegal immigration when projecting the trust fund's long-term solvency.

This is especially important as the 78 million-member baby boom generation begins to leave the work force and draw Social Security checks.

"Overall, any type of immigration is a net positive to Social Security. The more people working and paying into the system, the better," Hinkle said. "It does help the system remain solvent."

The Social Security Administration drew from census and Immigration and Customs Enforcement data in 2007 to project the effects of higher and lower immigration patterns.

If net immigration is high at 1.3 million people a year, the SSA's combined trust fund would be exhausted in 2043. But the fund runs out four years earlier if annual net immigration amounts to about half that - 472,500 legal immigrants and 250,000 illegal immigrants.

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't have an estimate of how many illegal immigrants pay income tax.

But one indicator is the 9 million W-2 forms with mismatched names and Social Security numbers it received in 2004. The IRS said the W-2 forms with invalid Social Security numbers reported about $53 billion in wages and about three-fourths of that, $40 billion in wages, had taxes withheld.

The IRS also has been issuing Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers, or ITINs, for 12 years to foreigners without a Social Security number. It's believed that many workers who seek the ITINs are in the country illegally, and the IRS reported that there were 2.5 million tax returns filed with an ITIN in 2004.

In 2006, then IRS Commission Mark Everson told Congress that "many illegal aliens, utilizing ITINs, have been reporting tax liability to the tune of almost $50 billion from 1996 to 2003."

An IRS spokesman said more recent figures aren't available.

The Social Security and Medicare taxes from mismatched W2s for the same period was $41.4 billion, Hinkle said.

That adds up to roughly $90 billion in federal taxes during they eight-year period.

The IRS defends the ITIN system, despite criticism that some illegal immigrants have used it to open bank accounts, get mortgages and establish a record of residency and taxpaying they hope might someday lead to legal status.

"The ITIN program is bringing taxpayers into the system," Everson told Congress.

Middle Tennessee State University economics professor William Ford, who has studied taxes and immigration, says a majority of economists agree that illegal immigrants are a net benefit for the U.S. economy.

He said the tax contributions from illegal immigrants, including sales taxes, property taxes and excise taxes (such as the gas tax), are significant.

He calculates that illegal immigrants contributed $428 billion dollars to the nation's $13.6 trillion gross domestic product in 2006. That number assumes illegal immigrants are 30 percent less productive than other workers.

"If anything we need more immigrants coming into the country, not less, especially with the baby boomers retiring," he said.

So yep they pay taxes too. Like SecondHand said in the post above, it makes much more sense in the long run. A kid like Jose Variable would pay more in taxes if he got a degree and worked for (or started his own) computer repair company, than he would just by fixing people's computers and getting paid under the table. If he were allowed to go to college, get a degree, become a citizen, and join the workforce...he'd become a taxpayer like us. But if we had it your way, he'd be deported and the U.S. would lose out on those potential tax dollars he would have given us had he stayed here.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#19 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

View Postsantana, on 12 October 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

I took the citizenship test back in 03/04 it was very easy for me. I don't see how any American could not pass it
Then again there are a lot of morons out there

I was not born here but I grew up American

Illegals do pay taxes
You don't need a SS to file
They are assigned a ITIN

If you have an ITIN you are not Illegal. The purpose of an ITIN is to be able to work in the states. These people are going through the proper channels. I have no beef with them. http://www.irs.gov/i...duals/article/0,,id=222209,00.html
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 12 October 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

I think this is a good move. You can't stop the flow of illegal immigration,

I agree with the fact we will never be able to stop it but why reward it?

SecondHandJets, on 12 October 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

So you went through the proper avenues to be legal. How hard was it? Why can't we require everyone t

So you went through the proper avenues to be legal. How hard was it? Why can't we require everyone to do it?
Posted Image

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users