NYJetsFan.com Forums: Why Santonio Holmes Was Benched - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:16 PM) 27 and the all time leading goal scorer in european cup and la liga history... crazy
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:17 PM) raul ny cosmos hype is real!!... crazy
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:18 PM) I want nasri to bite neuer
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:28 PM) Agueroooooooo
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:28 PM) Xabi at faulttttt
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:30 PM) SPEEEEED
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:33 PM) KUUUUUNNNNN
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:33 PM) I like zabaleta a lot but hes such a dope haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:33 PM) what a f***ing player
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) unbelievable
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) Yeah
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) its decided city should be renamed to Aguero and friends
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) haha yeah zaba looks like a player who should of played 15 years ago when tackles like that were deemed good
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) jeez
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) mistakes by boateng and xabi
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) bayern exhausted from working with 10 men
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) aguero the long con
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) aguero isnt exhausted though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) OP as fuck
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) Pep will be fuming
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) no more fun practices for bayern
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) carrying team mates around and skipping
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) all eyes on tomorrow. Liverpool don't get a result and Rodgers seat is on fire
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) what
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) I thought I just read that liverpool is sticking with him
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:41 PM) they will, atleast until january... but if we do not get a result tomorrow, it'll go down hill even faster
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:41 PM) he won't survive the season if he doesnt figure it out
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:42 PM) moyes to liverpool confirmed!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) bayern two bad passes one bad tackle today punished by aguero
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) otherwise city looked rather crapola
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:47 PM) moyesy coaching in your favorite league now
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) yeah i saw that he was at real sociedad
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:51 PM) http://gfycat.com/MilkyMajesticDingo
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) also very casual
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) boca represent
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) http://gfycat.com/Of...ingAmazonparrot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) that is the most raul goal i have ever seen
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) What's our wish list for HC next year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) BILL LAZOR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) Why?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) he worked with chip kelly and vick on the eagles. and has a cool name
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:41 PM) Eh
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:37 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) The JETS really sucked a fat one last night
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:34 PM) Man the JETS are a 3 ring circus or American Horror Story: FREAK SHOW!!!!
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Why Santonio Holmes Was Benched

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

MIAMI -- As the Jets' season ended here with a 19-17 loss to the Dolphins, one of the Rex Ryan-appointed captains -- receiver Santonio Holmes -- was on the sideline, benched and frustrated and a symbol of this team's flawed chemistry.
Late in the fourth quarter, receiver Patrick Turner ran onto the field, tapped Holmes on the shoulder and told him to come out. The decision was made by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, a person with knowledge of the decision-making process said, because he had no choice.
"I looked out there, and I was wondering why he wasn’t out there myself," coach Rex Ryan said. "I didn’t bench Santonio. You’ll have to ask him."

Holmes, who signed a five-year, $45 million deal in free agency, offered no answers, calling it the "coach's call." But it was Holmes' demeanor through through the course of the game as well as an argument with teammates in the huddle spurred the benching, several players said.
Holmes was yanked before the Jets' two-minute drive ended in Turner's 10-yard touchdown with 1:15 to play, giving the team a glimmer of hope.
Holmes had been "moping" through the course of the game, not listening to quarterback Mark Sanchez, according to players. One veteran player approached him before he was yanked by the coaches and told him to get off the field if he wasn't going to help the team.
"The worst thing that can happen, the worst thing, is when your teammates start to question your passion for the game," running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. "That’s the worst thing. And I think in that huddle, that’s what you saw. When guys looked in his eyes, and he didn’t have that fire in his eyes, guys were turned off about that."
Added Tomlinson: "The demeanor is, 'I quit,' or whatever it may be. ... Tone’s demeanor, the passion, whatever it was that made guys say, 'Hey, you need to pick it up.' "
According to one player, who asked to remain nameless, it wasn't just this game.
"He quit," the player said. "It's happened for the past two to three weeks. It's happened a
ll season."
The tension came to a head with a fourth-quarter argument in the huddle. Holmes and a teammate began arguing, and Sanchez and the others tried to defuse the situation. That's when Schottenheimer made the call to yank Holmes, and Holmes said he did not ask why.
Holmes finished the game with no catches, for the first time in his six-year career. "It's Week 17; shouldn't happen," he said.
Tomlinson acknowledged that Holmes' lack of catches likely played a role in his behavior. He said Holmes is not a bad guy but reacted in a way that he shouldn't have, and he planned to talk to him about it.
"He didn’t catch a ball?" Tomlinson said. "Well, you all have experience with receivers. T.O,. give me the damn ball, so you know. When receivers don’t catch a ball they don’t feel part of a game. That may have something to do with Tone’s reaction. But even if you don’t get a ball and you’re mad about it, there’s a better way to handle it. And that’s how my conversation with Tone will go.
[b]Holmes was asked if he was confident in Schottenheimer.
"Right now?" he said. "Let’s hope for the best."
Asked to clarify what he meant he said, "It wouldn’t be my decision to make that choice whether he returns or not."
And what about Holmes' future with the team?
"Thank you guys," he said, abruptly ending his press conference.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

Disgusting.

Needs a reality check really quick.

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

I lost a lot of respect for Holmes this season, simply not the player I thought he was
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Your dont quit on your team no matter what. Imagine if Ray Lewis was on our team and that happened.We have no passionate players like that.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 01 January 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

I lost a lot of respect for Holmes this season, simply not the player I thought he was

I was concerned that him and Cro would not play well this season after getting their guaranteed money. Say what you want about Cro but I didn't see him give up at all but Holmes is a different story. IMO, the guy is a bum and I hope we can cut him without getting Killed by the cap. I can really see why Cotchery was so pissed now.

#6 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Whats more alarming is how LT didnt know holmes didnt get a catch
Then also how rex didnt know why he was benched or of the problems

Seriously... our veteran hof rb is unaware of how the offense is operating and who has gotten the catches?
Plus the head coach is unaware of how the offense is operating?

Oh and theres mulligan out there who probably has this playing in his head

blow the team up please.. start with schotty

thanks!
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#7 User is offline   cmart=the best Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Complete 180 from the Jets for life bullshiit he was saying after he signed that huge 50 million dollar contract.......

#8 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

View Postsantana, on 01 January 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Seriously... our veteran hof rb is unaware of how the offense is operating and who has gotten the catches?

He isn't keeping track of his fantasy players out there, you know?

He probably didn't even know how many catches HE had himself. Why would he care about how many catches Santonio has gotten?

#9 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postsantana, on 01 January 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Whats more alarming is how LT didnt know holmes didnt get a catch
Then also how rex didnt know why he was benched or of the problems

Plus the head coach is unaware of how the offense is operating?

Oh and theres mulligan out there who probably has this playing in his head

blow the team up please.. start with schotty

thanks!

Why would L.T. keep track of how many catches Holmes has? he's not a statistician so you have no valid point there. As a player you should only be focused on your own job. if you have an impact player you expect they get at least a 5 yard catch or something. LT's job is to do his job, not worry about someone else's stats. so you have no valid point there. With rex you have a point, but not LT at all.

and you could tell Santonio quit when he didn't wear gloves for the last possession of the game. It didn't start raining so the only reason to take off the gloves would be if he was finished for the game, so apparently he was done. thats what I got when I saw he wasn't wearing them at least.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

This is what happens when you get rid of locker room leaders.

#11 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

look i get that it could of been an honest mistake and its not LT's job to specifically know who has done what

but its holmes the primary wr. if you don't know the offensive game plan and what is happening then you sound a bit lost. thats all im trying to point out.
if welker didnt get any catches do you think no one on the pats offense would notice? specially a starter?

#12 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 01 January 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

...and crown chumps.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#13 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

View Postsantana, on 01 January 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

look i get that it could of been an honest mistake and its not LT's job to specifically know who has done what

but its holmes the primary wr. if you don't know the offensive game plan and what is happening then you sound a bit lost. thats all im trying to point out.
if welker didnt get any catches do you think no one on the pats offense would notice? specially a starter?

what the gameplan is and what gets executed on the field are two totally seperate worlds, and yes. I believe that a starting rb could easily not know that wes welker did not have a reception a whole game. its assumed that welker is getting a catch so why would the rb have any reason to think otherwise? if you play the game, the only time other player's stats come into mind during a game is if a record is about to be broken or if they are doing something great. You may think someone is quiet on the day but you may easily not know to what extent. the focus should be on the play at hand, not who is getting the ball.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Postsantana, on 01 January 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Welker had 122 receptions, Holmes had 51. I think it is a lot more noticeable when Welker doesn't catch a ball than when WakeNBake doesn't.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#15 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

Sorry I'm not buying it. Although its a very minor mistake it's telling to me how out of touch the offensive players are when it comes to the flow of the game.

#16 User is offline   MoMilk1991 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

You guys are talking like there has actually been a game plan once this season. Stop it. You are giving Schotty too much credit.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

• Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Maybe a better way to put it would be, how many plays can we honestly say we saw Holmes bust his ass to make a play this entire season? I'm willing to bet we could count them all on one hand. The difference between Holmes this year and last year? He got paid so now he doesn't care or feel that he needs to EARN his money.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#18 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 01 January 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

AMEN!!!
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   bluelinecop Icon

• 04 L.F. Award/05 Best Mod Award/06 Best Sig Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Fifteen years ago after an especially disappointing loss to Miami, Esiason, then the Jets' quarterback, was making the seven-mile drive from the Meadowlands back to Manhattan.
While he was slogging through stop-and-go traffic at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, the car next to him was violently rear-ended. The quarterback threw his car into park, hopped out and ran to the woman whose car had been hit. She was wearing, of all things, an Esiason jersey, and was utterly shocked when he tapped on her window to check on her.
"Are you OK?" he said, trying to keep calm. "Are you OK?"
"Boomer? Is that you?" she asked the Good Samaritan, sounding disoriented. "I think I'm OK, but . ... "
But what?
"But you guys sucked."
Welcome to the New York Jets, Tim Tebow.

http://modernworldphotography.com/
http://fineartameric...dos-santos.html

#20 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Holmes Ends His Season on Sideline

http://www.nytimes.c...-jets-loss.html

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — A simmering season of discontent for wide receiver Santonio Holmes boiled to the surface Sunday, sending the Jets into the off-season as a splintered squad.

“When you’re winning, you don’t worry about the problems,” Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. “But when you’re not winning, the problems that were there poke their heads out and people notice.”

What was noticeable with the Jets late in their 19-17 season-ending loss to the Miami Dolphins was a skirmish in the huddle between Holmes and his teammates. It appeared as if Holmes shouted at several players before tight end Dustin Keller shoved him. What is not open for interpretation is that afterward, Holmes spent most of the team’s final drive on the bench.

“There were guys in the huddle not happy with Santonio’s demeanor throughout the game and in the two-minute drill, and they said something about it,” Tomlinson said. “It was definitely boiling. Guys had had enough of it, of just his demeanor and body language. Like he wasn’t really into the game. Feeling like it’s over.”

It might have seemed as if it were over before the game even began, what with the Jets needing a combination of a victory of their own along with three losses around the league to secure the sixth seed going into the postseason. The odds were against them. What the team did not want was someone wearing green and white against them, too.

In the huddle, Tomlinson said, teammates urged on Holmes, who is also the team captain, telling him: “Come on, man. Let’s go.”

When it didn’t work, Tomlinson said that frustration surfaced. “When you have a group of guys fighting their butts off,” he said, “and one guy, for whatever reason, their demeanor is not with them, some guys are going to say something to him and tell him how they feel.”

And so they did. But afterward, few Jets players wanted to discuss Holmes or the incident in the huddle.

“I’m not going there,” Keller said.

Nor would Holmes say much on the matter.

“It’s Week 17,” he said several times when asked about his limited role in the offense Sunday, and quarterback Mark Sanchez’s inability to get him the ball.

Holmes did not have a catch against Miami, ending a streak of 84 games with at least one reception. When asked if he wanted to play for the team next season, he declined to answer. Before the season, Holmes signed a five-year, $50 million deal, with $24 million guaranteed. As a sort of exclamation point on the contract, the Jets also named Holmes their captain. Now neither move seems to sit well with the team.

“It’s tough for guys to follow a captain who behaves in that manner,” Tomlinson said. “If you’re a captain, guys are looking at you. You’ve got to lead by example. You’ve got to play your tail off until the last play. When that doesn’t happen, you will have guys look at you in a way that captains shouldn’t be looked at.”

Holmes has had problems with teammates in the past. Leading up to the last time the Jets and Dolphins played, on Oct. 17, Holmes openly complained about Sanchez and the offensive line.

At the time, guard Brandon Moore took exception. This time, it appeared that it was tackle Wayne Hunter exchanging shouted words with Holmes before Keller pushed Holmes away. Shortly afterward, Holmes said, Patrick Turner replaced him in the game.

But there seems to be confusion as to exactly what happened.

Apparently, it was the embattled offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, not Coach Rex Ryan, who benched Holmes, because afterward, Ryan said he thought Holmes removed himself from the game.

“I looked out there, and I was wondering why he wasn’t out there myself,” Ryan said. “No, I didn’t bench Santonio.”

It was indicative, guard Matt Slauson said, of a day of discord and, at times, chaos — a fitting coda for a season that began with Super Bowl aspirations.

“There were just a lot of things that went wrong in this game, sort of like all season,” Slauson said. “Guys were getting frustrated. Guys weren’t sure what was going on. There were times when we broke huddle, and we heard Mark say, ‘Whoa, that isn’t the right play.’ I think that’s what added to some of the chaos, to some of the penalties and guys jumping offside.”

Tomlinson said: “It’s little things. But a lot of times, you don’t notice those little things when you’re winning. But when you’re losing, those little things become big.”

Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users