NYJetsFan.com Forums: Namath - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

OFF SEASON ALMOST OVER AUG 13 VS LIONS
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:37 PM) rumor has it he wanted a raise over his $5.5 million base this year
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:39 PM) 33 is young for a guard. he's got at least 3-4 more years in him
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) Mmmmm I disagree.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) I would go 2 year deal.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:41 PM) Maybe longer if we could get out of it after 2
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 11:36 AM) backloaded 4 year deal ca cut after 2 years wit minimum cap hit
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 02:22 PM) Jets sign free agent OT Charlles Brown
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:48 PM) We won't be able to backload it. He won't accept the offer. Keep in mind he requested he release because they couldn't come to an agreement on a raise.
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:49 PM) He is probably looking for $7 million or more per year.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 09:44 AM) he was only making 5.5 million this year. we can give him 10 mil signing bonus onf a 5 year deal and a low base salary (like 3 mil a year) it'll average out to 5 mil a year, but he'll get 13 million this year (more then double) and will cost 5 mil a year against the cap for the rest of the deal
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Any news on Mathis at all? Haven't heard anything since his release.
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Also, Sam Baker was cut today as well
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 04:52 PM) Titans releasing RB Shonn Greene
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 June 2015 - 10:40 PM) TEH WARRIORS
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 11:08 PM) This trophy ceremony awkward as fuck I had to turn it off
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:02 PM) It really was. It was more Doris Burke interviewing the Warriors than it was a trophy ceremony. Plus Adam Silver forgot to hand the Warriors owner the trophy after he was done talking to the crowd.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:03 PM) R.I.P. Stuart Scott
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE SILVER
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE BURKE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 June 2015 - 06:27 PM) THE A-ROD!!
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:19 PM) god damn week no activity in here
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:20 PM) might have to chop this table up into fire wood
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:26 PM) FIRE WOOD!
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:54 PM) Kristaps Porzingis???
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:55 PM) You'd think Isiah Thomas was still running the Knicks last night.
santana Icon : (27 June 2015 - 07:30 PM) Lol yeah no clue about those names
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) Is there any chance that Porzingis ends up being good?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) I'm guessing he won't be the next Pau Gasol or Dirk Nowviski
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:41 AM) You never know, he could be as good as Gasol brothers or Dirk. Honestly the Knicks picking at #4 did the same thing the 3 teams picking ahead of them did. Picked a 19 year who could go boom or bust.
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:45 AM) Porzingis seems to have the "I'm going to prove them wrong" type of attitude needed to overcome people's doubts about him. Hopefully he'll have the work ethic that goes along with that attitude.
azjetfan Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:17 PM) In other news I decided to shave the dome. Since the hair was falling out anyway I figured I would show it who's boss
santana Icon : (29 June 2015 - 01:11 PM) Deisel up shave the dome
Mr_Jet Icon : (29 June 2015 - 04:49 PM) Welcome home.
azjetfan Icon : (29 June 2015 - 08:59 PM) I feel fast.
azjetfan Icon : (01 July 2015 - 07:53 PM) Shot an 86 today. Personal best.
santana Icon : (01 July 2015 - 08:19 PM) well done
santana Icon : (01 July 2015 - 08:19 PM) im going to play friday
blk_orion Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 AM) play what? golf?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:16 PM) Sheldon Richardson suspended 4 game for substance abuse.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:16 PM) f***
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:15 PM) DAMNIT TO f***ing HELL!!!!
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:46 PM) Yup. Golf. I'm ready to take on Tiger. Mid season form. For what ever reason I am hitting the driver great. 280 and fairly controlled. I'm playing again Saturday.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:55 PM) tiger shot a 66 today didnt he easy course though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:55 PM) things were going too well for the jets this off season
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:33 PM) Well I guess Williams will be starting in opening day now
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Namath New 2012 documentary MUST watch it

#21 User is offline   Camenzind Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:41 AM

View Postchocomag, on 06 February 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

In that case I am sure Donovan will make the Hall of Fame on his first ballot. And as for attempts, Namath had many games where all he could do is throw the ball. The defense knew it and so did everyone in the stands. However, sarcastic or not, I still have not heard back from you as to whether you had seen him actually play.

As I assume that not to be the case, let's try this one. 35 years from now, your kids will be watching the NFL and because the game has evolved they tell you that Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. were overrated hacks because they never threw for 6,000 yards in a season. They never threw 75 TD passes either. You sit there and say "you're right. Those guys stunk". I don't think so. At least I hope not.

There is more to the game than taking stats and reading them. Fran Tarkenton retired with the best stats of any QB ever (at that time). But he was never the best QB in any given year.

Sports makes for excellent debates and your philosophy has a certain amount of merit. It's just a shame you won't realize the other side until you are on it. As for the sarcasm, it wasn't intended as an insult. I would not want to do that to you. But let's go back to your original statement lumping Unitas, Bradshaw, and Staubach into that group. So Donovan McNabb by your standards was a better QB than the best QB's of that era. Maybe that's true. After all, his many Super Bowl rings - oops, forgot he doesn't have any. But those clutch performances - oops, his own teammates watched him barf on the field in that crucial game. But he must have had more completions and attempts and less int's than those guys so he must be better.

Speak to people who have seen Namath and those guys and McNabb. And then let me know the next time they do a 90 minute documentary on McNabb. I wouldn't want to miss it. So far its been Campbell's soup commercials.

You are misunderstanding my reference of the statistics. I did not watch Joe Namath play. I watched Super Bowl III on the NFL Network. From your previous posts, I take it you did watch him play. It is also quite obvious that you place a lot of emphasis on wins.

Tell me, how many winning seasons did the Jets have under Namath? How many playoff games did Namath win? My research tells me 3 seasons at the most and maybe 3 to 4 playoff games (not clear). So let's see... horrible touchdown to interception ratio, horrible completion percentage, and horrible winning percentage. He was a cocky, outspoken, bold player who had a lot of talent and it all came to fruition one magical season. And that makes him a great quarterback? Joe Namath is in the hall of fame because of his guarantee and what it meant to the AFL/NFL merger. He is not a great quarterback. And the last time I checked, Donovan McNabb took his team to at least 4 NFC championship games and a Super Bowl. He also had countless fourth quarter come from behind wins with a less than stellar supporting cast on offense. Check out his winning percentage.

Your argument is ridiculous and has no merit. I like Namath and enjoy his commentary. But he was not a great quarterback, regardless of the context of the NFL at the time. Chad Pennington was the best quarterback the Jets ever had and that's not saying much.

#22 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

• Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

Camezind.......I am not being condescending by asking this by any means but I am asking....what is your point? That Namath is simply overrated? That he wasn't a great QB? That he's not Hall of Fame worthy?

I will agree that he was overrated, and cocky, etc, BUT the man found ways to win. AND his biggest accomplishment was being a part of turning the league on it's ear by the team delivering on his guarantee. He may not have performed very well himself in SB3, but you can bet he was in everyone's heads in one way or another having the team believe we could win that game & we did. His flashy ways, his wearing stockings and fur coats, etc made him just as famous as his play on the field did. But ultimately, he will always be remembered for the guarantee.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users