NYJetsFan.com Forums: Offensive Playbook Too Thick/complicated And Jets Offseason Is About Speed - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) Why?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) he worked with chip kelly and vick on the eagles. and has a cool name
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:41 PM) Eh
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:37 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) The JETS really sucked a fat one last night
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:34 PM) Man the JETS are a 3 ring circus or American Horror Story: FREAK SHOW!!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) Jets starting Geno again.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) FIRE IDZIK,
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) I really hope the JEts completely clean house this offseason and get rid of everyone, it's time.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:54 AM) We need to keep getting embarrassed every week to ensure that. That is why I don't give a shit about getting destroyed, it makes the team look like more of a joke and forces Woody to make real changes
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) Like how do you get blown out by a team that didn't practice while you had 2 weeks to prepare?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) That kind of stuff may force Woody to make the big changes and fire everyone
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) John Idzik has handled the QB situation terribly. 2 times he pretty much handed the job to his draft pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:56 AM) Besides Sheldon Richardson, his drafts have been awful.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:57 AM) Maybe Woody will clean house and go all out for Jim Harbaugh, that probably won't happen though but it would be a franchise changer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:07 AM) Harbaugh would be amazing...but because it makes sense it won't be done
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (Today, 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (Today, 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (Today, 04:07 PM) Rocking the atletico kit today 4-0 THE RAUL INFLUENCE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:15 PM) Haha you should make that into some kind of logo and put it in your sig
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:15 PM) Sig***
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:19 PM) TEH RAUL INFLUENCE
santana Icon : (Today, 04:29 PM) LUDOGRETS
santana Icon : (Today, 04:34 PM) LUDOGORETS
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) TEH IZDIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) SUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) FOR
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) THE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) DUCK
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Offensive Playbook Too Thick/complicated And Jets Offseason Is About Speed

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

- The operative word for the New York Jets veterans presently partaking in off season training is “speed”. We here Jets linebackers and offensive linemen have been instructed to drop weight in the off season as Rex Ryan wants a leaner, swifter squad for next season.
- Why was the Jets offensive line so bad last year and why did so many players underachieve? I was told part of the problem is the playbook was so thick and the blocking schemes so complicated many of the offensive lineman were over thinking all season.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   MoMilk1991 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

There's that "c" word again. Complicated.

The only thing that was consistent about Schotty's offense was that it was complex for everybody that played in it.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

All I hear are would haves, could haves and should haves. Rex is getting good at that.

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

So basically our players are fat and dumb. Cool.

#5 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostS-Dubb, on 26 February 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

All I here are would haves, could haves and should haves. Rex is getting good at that.

Uhm.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostS-Dubb, on 26 February 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

All I here are would haves, could haves and should haves. Rex is getting good at that.

I could have made an great Obama joke here but.... Insert any name you care to.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

The talk about the offense being complicated has been since Pennington, I am excited to see how our offense looks with a new OC. Hopefully its more efficient, I am not expecting a top 10 unit or anything but maybe one that turns it over less and has less 3 and outs. Has an identity, utilizes players to their strengths better, and stretches the field more.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

most football players are dumb. anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. sure there are some really smart QBs out there like manning, brady, brees, fitzpatrick, even our own mcelroy. but alot of the skill positon guys are pretty dumb by normal standards. schotty thought he was coaching real college kids who are smart and learn quick. he shold have dumbed it down. he'll never be sucessful cause he can't adjust to the pieces he has. shotty was trying to play chess with pieces from battleship all season
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'll be honest. After this season Rex really made it hard for me. All the hot air, all the talk.. blah, blah, blah. Then to get smashed by the Giants and Dolphins and have the team totally implode. I never really read or watched anything Jet related since. The first time I really sat down and listened to anything was Rex Ryans press conference at the combine. It was 16 minutes long, I made to the 8 minute mark and Rex spewed something like " Were not making any superbowl guarantees but this team is going to be great" I turned it off.

I'll be honest, I'm getting a little turned off by the guy.

#10 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 26 February 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

I'll be honest. After this season Rex really made it hard for me. All the hot air, all the talk.. blah, blah, blah. Then to get smashed by the Giants and Dolphins and have the team totally implode. I never really read or watched anything Jet related since. The first time I really sat down and listened to anything was Rex Ryans press conference at the combine. It was 16 minutes long, I made to the 8 minute mark and Rex spewed something like " Were not making any superbowl MVP's but this team is going to be great" I turned it off.

I'll be honest, I'm getting a little turned off by the guy.

View PostA1elbow, on 26 February 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

Uhm.

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

What does this have to do with Rex? What I quoted wasn't from Rex and this talk about the offense being complicated was before Rex got here. And Rex said at the senior bowl that he isn't making any promises and said he doesn't know who will be in the SB. He just made it clear that the Jets were going to be a team next season, I think they were a team his first 2 years but for whatever reason they weren't as close last year. At least Rex is admitting mistakes and trying to correct them, hes only been a HC for 3 years there is a learning curve there as well.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 26 February 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

What does this have to do with Rex? What I quoted wasn't from Rex and this talk about the offense being complicated was before Rex got here. And Rex said at the senior bowl that he isn't making any promises and said he doesn't know who will be in the SB. He just made it clear that the Jets were going to be a team next season, I think they were a team his first 2 years but for whatever reason they weren't as close last year. At least Rex is admitting mistakes and trying to correct them, hes only been a HC for 3 years there is a learning curve there as well.

This has been said over and over and again this year in defense of Ryan and let me just say, once again and for the last time till it is said at some point next season:

Head Coach of an NFL team is not a job that people get years to develop, and there is a reason for that. You don't hire a CEO or the President (he's only been president for four years, he's still learning, let's give him four more years and see if he doesn't turn out good) or even a store/office branch/whatever manager and give them forever to develop.

The idea is these guys have already proven they are ready to step into the position and should be expected to pay returns somewhat quickly. It's one thing to give a young guy who you think has a lot of upside a chance, but even then three years is a lot.

Rex Ryan grew up in a football family. His dad was a Championship winning coordinator, coached in five Super Bowls, and was a Head Coach twice. Rex is almost fifty years old and has spent his entire life immersed in football. This "he is still learning" crap has got to end.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 26 February 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

This has been said over and over and again this year in defense of Ryan and let me just say, once again and for the last time till it is said at some point next season:

Head Coach of an NFL team is not a job that people get years to develop, and there is a reason for that. You don't hire a CEO or the President (he's only been president for four years, he's still learning, let's give him four more years and see if he doesn't turn out good) or even a store/office branch/whatever manager and give them forever to develop.

The idea is these guys have already proven they are ready to step into the position and should be expected to pay returns somewhat quickly. It's one thing to give a young guy who you think has a lot of upside a chance, but even then three years is a lot.

Rex Ryan grew up in a football family. His dad was a Championship winning coordinator, coached in five Super Bowls, and was a Head Coach twice. Rex is almost fifty years old and has spent his entire life immersed in football. This "he is still learning" crap has got to end.

Other teams outside of the Jets actually give their HC time, they don't just get rid of them right away. I think the Jets are either #1 or 2 in how many HCs they have had. Its not like we went 4-12 every year hes been here, we got to the AFC championship twice, and went 8-8 this year. 2 of the past 3 SB champions didn't make the playoffs the year before they went to the SB. And yeah hes been around football his entire life, but hes been a HC for 3 years. Its different a HC compared to being just a DC. No coach wins a championship right away unless they took over a championship team. The Jets aren't as loaded as other teams.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 26 February 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Other teams outside of the Jets actually give their HC time, they don't just get rid of them right away. I think the Jets are either #1 or 2 in how many HCs they have had. Its not like we went 4-12 every year hes been here, we got to the AFC championship twice, and went 8-8 this year. 2 of the past 3 SB champions didn't make the playoffs the year before they went to the SB. And yeah hes been around football his entire life, but hes been a HC for 3 years. Its different a HC compared to being just a DC. No coach wins a championship right away unless they took over a championship team. The Jets aren't as loaded as other teams.

Forget development, he has regressed as a Head Coach. What were Ryan's selling points when he came here?

1) He would bring in players. (who has he brought in the last two seasons? Tomlinson and Burress? Yuck. Maybin?)
2) He would bring together the team and make a bond based on his relationship with the players. (the team fell apart and he claims he didn't realise the situation was bad)
3) He would bring the pressure (frankly, we don't get that much pressure and what we do get is coverage pressure and not because of the blitzes)

I have the same problem with Ryan I did with Herman Edwards. He hasn't progressed in areas we considered him needing development in and he hasn't kept up his strengths. That is a recipe for disaster.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Damn you guys are spoiled. How long you've been Jet fans? Two AFC title games in 3 years and you're picking apart the HC? Shit happens. Peyton Manning is supposed to be the best QB of the last generation and he's not even the best QB at his own Thanksgiving table anymore. Give it time.

#16 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 February 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Damn you guys are spoiled. How long you've been Jet fans? Two AFC title games in 3 years and you're picking apart the HC? Shit happens. Peyton Manning is supposed to be the best QB of the last generation and he's not even the best QB at his own Thanksgiving table anymore. Give it time.

Being satisfied with two AFC Championship games is what got us this season. But enjoy your 8-8 disappointments SHJ.

And once again, I never liked Ryan. I've picked him apart for three years because I don't think because someone says they are great, they are (hence, I don't think Clemens11 is a football genius).
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

• Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

View PostA1elbow, on 26 February 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Forget development, he has regressed as a Head Coach. What were Ryan's selling points when he came here?

1) He would bring in players. (who has he brought in the last two seasons? Tomlinson and Burress? Yuck. Maybin?)
2) He would bring together the team and make a bond based on his relationship with the players. (the team fell apart and he claims he didn't realise the situation was bad)
3) He would bring the pressure (frankly, we don't get that much pressure and what we do get is coverage pressure and not because of the blitzes)

I have the same problem with Ryan I did with Herman Edwards. He hasn't progressed in areas we considered him needing development in and he hasn't kept up his strengths. That is a recipe for disaster.

Seriously? While Rex definitely lost touch with the team this past season, he helped do something no coach has done since that bum Parcells. He made the Jets relevant again.

1) He would bring in players........Players actually WANTED to come to the Jets prior to the locker room disaster this past season. Why? They wanted to play for Rex. Tanny & Rex both share responsibility here to get the right players in.

2) He would bring together the team and make a bond based on his relationship with the players........Rex completely screwed the pooch this past season. Let's see what he does to turn it around bcuz as far as I'm aware, the one major poison wears #10.

3)He would bring the pressure........and he did until for some God forsaken reason, the D is no longer bouncing all around pre-snap & the LB's are getting older & slower. Tanny & Rex both share responsibility here to get the right players in.

Do you want to get rid of Tannenbaum too? Until Rex has a losing season, I'm not ready to ship him out just yet. Unless shit gets addressed this offseason, we're only going to go 8-8 or 9-7 again next season when looking at our listed opponents.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#18 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Players want to play here is my favorite Ryan myth. Lightning comes out of eyes when he walks and he can move objects with his mind too.

Look at the list of guys we have signed, straight up, as free agents since his hiring and tell me who these players are. People say that like we just have had our pick of FAs. We've had a couple of guys from the Ravens his first year and Tomlinson. Who else? Seriously. I'm not here for Jets' presser talking points.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 27 February 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Players want to play here is my favorite Ryan myth. Lightning comes out of eyes when he walks and he can move objects with his mind too.

Look at the list of guys we have signed, straight up, as free agents since his hiring and tell me who these players are. People say that like we just have had our pick of FAs. We've had a couple of guys from the Ravens his first year and Tomlinson. Who else? Seriously. I'm not here for Jets' presser talking points.

your forgetting that the GM actually signs these players. and there is a cap. it isn't madden. they took a poll of coaches that players would liek to play for from a bunch of players and ryan was 1st and 2nd was sean payton. its not a myth. leonhard took less to play here, scott had alot of offers but wanted to play for rex. lewis wanted to play for rex but MT and rex went with scott instead. BE wanted to play here badly but MT didn't resign him. Plax wanted to play for us too and he had other suitors. LT wanted to play here as well. he had limited options but came. Jason taylor had other options too and hated the jets but came here to play for rex. who is to say brees, peterson, megatron, ed reed etc all don't want to play for rex but they have contracts and we have a salary cap. I've heard players complain about things but not once has complained about rex or said they don't want to play for him
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 27 February 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

your forgetting that the GM actually signs these players. and there is a cap. it isn't madden. they took a poll of coaches that players would liek to play for from a bunch of players and ryan was 1st and 2nd was sean payton. its not a myth. leonhard took less to play here, scott had alot of offers but wanted to play for rex. lewis wanted to play for rex but MT and rex went with scott instead. BE wanted to play here badly but MT didn't resign him. Plax wanted to play for us too and he had other suitors. LT wanted to play here as well. he had limited options but came. Jason taylor had other options too and hated the jets but came here to play for rex. who is to say brees, peterson, megatron, ed reed etc all don't want to play for rex but they have contracts and we have a salary cap. I've heard players complain about things but not once has complained about rex or said they don't want to play for him

So then how is it a selling point that players want to come here? It kills me how people will do anything possible to protect Ryan. And what do you mean "MT and Rex went with" if Ryan doesn't get credit?

So the great FA migration is a dude out of prison (who the team won't bring back), Edwards (who no one wanted after SF cut him), Tomlinson (who played well one year), and Scott (who lived up to his hype for about two years and now we are going to trade). Oh, and Taylor who made it one year. Oh...and of course, all the actually good players who you list to try and prove your point by saying that "maybe" they would want to play for Ryan (even though they wouldn't). I could do that...

Maybe Rex Ryan could be Moon Emperor...if only he could get to the moon!!!

Seriously, why am I supposed to care about Rex's supposed abilities to bring players in? He hasn't brought in anyone who has contributed for more than two seasons, and most of them have produced less than two years of solid play and many of them haven't done anything since the team let them go. It's a farce.
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users