NYJetsFan.com Forums: Jets Gave Bart Scott Permission To Seek Trade - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

2014 NYJetsFan Fantasy League sign up: http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38425
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:51 PM) Milliner did suffer a high ankle sprain, that sucks. could linger all year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:52 PM) I think Patterson sucked vs the Colts because he was injured, which he always is.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:49 PM) As much as people criticized Tannanbaum for spending too much. It's starting to look like Idzik is going to be too cheap.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:52 PM) You get what you pay for and when you let quality players go because you don't want to pay them, this is what happens. You're left with scrub players.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 07:55 PM) I'm still on board with the Idzik plan. Even with Revis and Revis we still are not going to the SB this year. But the down time sucks. If Milliner comes back healthy by week 3 or so we should be fine.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 08:18 PM) Regardless of our SB chances this year or next year. If Idzik keeps acting like a cheapskate and continues to let quality players go, we won't have to worry about winning much of anything this decade.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 09:36 PM) He wants to build through the draft. Not blow the bank on FA. I get what your saying but there is a balance and right now we are not one or two pieces away.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:00 PM) It's not about being one or two pieces away. It's about keeping the good pieces you have and building upon that.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:04 PM) But there is no sense in trying to build through the draft if he's only going to end up letting the good players he picks up go in FA after a few years. All because he wants to do things on the cheap.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:02 AM) FIRE IDZIK
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 08:33 AM) out side of Revis who left we should have kept?
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 08:34 AM) The Revis deal sucks but $16 million was too much for a CB and once he was gone he was not coming back.
Mr_Jet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 11:00 AM) Matt Slauson
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 01:00 PM) Eh. I think with our current cap situation we will be able to retain guys like Wilkerson and whomever we want to keep. We are in a good position right now.
Mr_Jet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 01:49 PM) Time will tell.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 02:00 PM) landed revis abck. got DRC, nope we take patterson who got owned and always hurt. milner always hurt. 3rd round CB done for season. were gonna get passed on all day
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 02:44 PM) Yea the DRC bit makes me iffy
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 03:35 PM) better then patterson
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 05:45 PM) No I mean the fact that he whiffed on him.
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 05:46 PM) I'm not saying Idzik is perfect. I just like the direction we are heading. It's going to take some patience.
RetireChrebet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 06:27 PM) I like how our lack of secondary is the hot topic right now. The bigger issue is we still will not be able to throw the ball. We are not going to do much of anything regardless until we get a QB. Sorry for being so negative just my honest opinion.
RetireChrebet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 06:29 PM) With that said I think our running game with CJ and Powell will be top 10 or somewhere around there
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 06:35 PM) i have faith that if geno messes up that vick can come in and do well. but i have 0 faith in our secondary right now which has been our strong point for the past 4 years or so
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:35 PM) I agree 115. but the one thing is Rex has done some good things in the past with shitty DBs and still had a solid D going back to his years in BAL
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:37 PM) Corey Ivy CB
36 Jim Leonhard SS/PR
43 Haruki Nakamura FS
25 Evan Oglesby CB
20 Ed Reed FS
22 Samari Rolle CB
39 Daren Stone FS
41 Frank Walker CB
31 Fabian Washington in 2008
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:39 PM) Reed is a HOF but Rolle was way past his prime
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:41 PM) SNOOPY BOWL FRIDAY!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:41 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 08:26 PM) I assume we will pick up a guy after the cuts happen.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 10:14 PM) we'll see but I think we see better QB play than we have in a while.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (20 August 2014 - 08:54 AM) disgusted with my local programming, instead of jets and giants they are airing the raiders vs packers..wtf
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (20 August 2014 - 09:23 AM) Glad I don't live up there anymore haha
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 August 2014 - 06:59 PM) The JETS are #6 in the Forbes List for most franchise value
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 August 2014 - 06:59 PM) The Buffalo Jills are #31 and the Miami Dolphags are #16 respectively
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 August 2014 - 07:00 PM) The JETS are worth $1.8 billion
jet-man Icon : (20 August 2014 - 10:03 PM) that's less than the clippers
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:07 PM) I'm very excited with the amount of preseason touchdowns the Jets have
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:21 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) Calvin Pryor and Darrin Walls will start tomorrow
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:52 PM) The SIMPSONS MARATHON has been on for almost 12 hours...
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 PM) Sanchez looks so much more confident and better in Chip's offense than he did with us
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:50 PM) EVERY SIMPSONS EVER!!!!!
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 07:10 AM) Sanchez is looking good for the eagles. Crazy how a good offense and the right system can make you look so much better. When you're put into a situatuon to succeed, magic happens. Happy for Sanchez, i think he needed a change just as much as the Jets did.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 08:02 AM) Preseason doesn't matter at all
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 11:10 AM) anyone have a stream for the preseaosn agme by chance?
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Jets Gave Bart Scott Permission To Seek Trade

#1 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Nearly two months after the Jets missed the playoffs for the first time since Rex Ryan took over, Gang Green has made it clear it would like to part ways with one of the key components in the Jetsí trips to consecutive AFC Championship Games.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have given linebacker Bart Scott permission to seek a trade.

Scott has three years remaining on his six-year, $48 million contract signed in 2009. Rex Ryan brought Scott over from the Ravens to help Gang Green learn the intricacies of a defensive system that thrived in Baltimore.

Scott restructured his deal before the 2011 season. The tradeoff for his paycut in 2011 was that his 2012 base salary of $4.2 million would be fully guaranteed. (He also has an additional $250,000 bonus). Scott's base salary is $6.9 million in 2013 and 2014. Scott's guaranteed base salary in 2012 makes it unlikely that the Jets would simply cut him. Financially, it won't make much sense.

Scott, 31, grew increasingly unhappy with his diminished playing time during the Jets' disappointing 8-8 season. He was routinely taken out on third downs due to the team's belief that he had difficulty in coverage.

According to Pro Football Focus, Scott's 677 defensive snaps in 2011 were fewer than each of his first two seasons with the Jets.

His frustration at the end of the season was palpable. The Jets fined the veteran inside linebacker $10,000 for giving a photographer the middle finger in the Jets' locker room after Gang Green's disappointing loss to the Miami Dolphins.

The Jets freed up more than $7 million dollars last week by restructuring D'Brickashaw Ferguson's contract. They could create much-needed additional space by trading Scott, who could be a fit with the team that shares a stadium with the Jets. The Giants may be in the market for a linebacker this offseason.

Scott recently had a minor elbow scope, which shouldn't prevent him from participating in offseason activities that begin in mid-April.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...4#ixzz1ncF8yN4F
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

How much would we be on the hook for if we did trade or cut Bart? The article is a bit confusing as it says initially that it wouldn't make financial sense to just release him, but then that moving him on would create much needed additional space. I can't see him attracting anything more than a mid-late round pick, which would no doubt be useful, but would it really compensate enough for the cap hit?

#3 User is offline   extmenace Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 27 February 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

How much would we be on the hook for if we did trade or cut Bart? The article is a bit confusing as it says initially that it wouldn't make financial sense to just release him, but then that moving him on would create much needed additional space. I can't see him attracting anything more than a mid-late round pick, which would no doubt be useful, but would it really compensate enough for the cap hit?

It would make no sense at all to cut him according to this article. His salary is guarenteed which means he is getting his 4+ million from the jets if he is wearing green and white or not. No way the jets cut him knowing that they have to pay him anyways. Trading him is the only way the jets could free themselves from his 2012 salary. With that being said, the jets would probably take a 4th to 6th round pick just to not be on the hook. If he is traded there would be no cap hit as his new team would be on the hook for the guareented sum, correct? (his new team could alway give scott a new deal once he is traded).

If this is the case, the jets are either eyeing a FA LB or in the draft with one of our first two picks...

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady

17 POINTS!

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I don't think that the Giants would use him. They're trying to cut salary. Maybe we can ship him off to the Browns and get Massaqui.

#5 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Arizona will be my shot in the dark
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#6 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Bust of a signing (unless we could somehow get something better than a fourth for him).
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#7 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Mike Tannenbaum wheeling and dealing. Acting like a big shot, circus offseasons and bringing in every free agent and signing these 1 year mercenaries to outrageous F.A deals, now finds himself in a bind, asking Brick and others to restructure and letting guys seek trades just so he can fork over more money on free agents.

As the world turns. Great work Mike.

#8 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Bart Scott wants out, he was a cancer last season due to his reduced role.

Once regarded as the centerpiece of Rex Ryan's defense, Bart Scott appears to be on the way out after three seasons with the New York Jets.

Team officials met with Scott's agent at the NFL scouting combine to discuss the linebacker's future. Agent Harold Lewis said Monday he told the Jets that Scott was "extremely frustrated" in his diminished role last season, and that it was "destroying him" not to be utilized as he was in his first two seasons.Lewis said he didn't request a trade, nor has he received permission to seek a trade. But that could be a matter of semantics at this point. Scott's "ultimate goal" is to stay with the Jets, according to Lewis, who added: "If we can't fix what's broken, there will be other opportunities."

Scott, 32, would go to the linebacker-needy New York Giants "in a heartbeat," Lewis said.

From all indications, the Jets are prepared to part ways with Scott, whose playing time decreased last season as he was removed on passing downs late in the year. The problem is, Scott's $4.2 million base salary is guaranteed. There is no off-set in the contract, meaning the Jets are on the hook for the entire salary.

Scott took a $1 million pay cut last summer, helping the team create much-needed cap space. In return, he received the guarantee for 2012 -- a move the Jets probably regret. Ultimately, they probably will have to eat the money. Scott's current cap charge is $5.9 million, but the Jets wouldn't get relief from that, either, because of the amount of "dead" money that would hit the cap.The Jets almost certainly will try to trade Scott in an attempt to recoup a late-round draft pick, but it's highly unlikely another team would be willing to take on his current contract. He'd have to restructure the deal to facilitate a trade. Financially, it would benefit Scott to get cut. That way, he'd be able to sign a new contract and "double dip," so to speak.

As much as it would hurt them cap-wise, the Jets want to get younger and faster on defense, and they also want to clean up their turmoil-ridden locker room of disgruntled players. Scott stewed last season when he was removed from certain packages that allowed him to blitz, according to Lewis. He also was replaced by the inexperienced Josh Mauga in coverage situations.

Lewis said he expects Scott to meet with Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine in the near future in an attempt to resolve the situation.

Three years ago, Scott arrived with considerable fanfare. He followed Ryan from the Baltimore Ravens to the Jets, signing a six-year, $48 million contract on the first day of free agency. It was a steep price, but Ryan felt Scott's intangibles -- namely, his toughness and swagger -- would add to the foundation of the defense.

Scott's frustration became evident at the end of the Jets' disappointing 8-8 season, when he directed an obscene gesture at a photographer in the locker room. He was fined $10,000 by the team.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Dubb, You seem kinda negative lately. All Ok?
Posted Image

#10 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 27 February 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Agreed
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 27 February 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Mike Tannenbaum wheeling and dealing. Acting like a big shot, circus offseasons and bringing in every free agent and signing these 1 year mercenaries to outrageous F.A deals, now finds himself in a bind, asking Brick and others to restructure and letting guys seek trades just so he can fork over more money on free agents.

As the world turns. Great work Mike.

Having people restructure is the name of the game. It isn't like they lose money, it's cap arrangement. Part of what makes our GM one of the best number guys around.

Bart Scott was poor all season long, he's overpaid and it'd be a huge relief if he actually found someone to be traded to.

#12 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 27 February 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

Having people restructure is the name of the game. It isn't like they lose money, it's cap arrangement. Part of what makes our GM one of the best number guys around.

Bart Scott was poor all season long, he's overpaid and it'd be a huge relief if he actually found someone to be traded to.

Numbers guys are good to have but football guys are more important.

Whether or not Bart played well or is besides the point. Guys like Bart, Pace, Cromartie, Holmes and so are all guys that have underperformed (Except Cro) after getting gargantuan deals. Restructuring is key sure but it's Mike's recklessness in trying to "buy" himself a championship. Who is it this year? Overpaying out the ass for Peyton Manning? Laron Landry? or some other round peg to fit into our square hole?

I'm tired of this franchise. Were a desperate team, Rex's dumb " we'll win it all in 4 years" rhetoric has this regime pressing to win now and making knee-jerk reactions. Trying to fix this team in one off-season with "bandaid" players isn't the answer. It never is. You win with chemistry, continuity, camaraderie and cohesion. You win with a core nucleous of young/veteran players. This team doesn't get it. Rex doesn't get it. No one gets it.

This whole crap about this team being "transparent" is B.S. Were a freaking joke of a franchise. Our team is being ran by a meathead coach and an impulsive GM but I'll go into this season as optimistic as I usually am, hoping for the best but I just have this feeling this team is no where near a deep playoff run. 1st year under Sparano, New playbook same sorry ass Shonn Greene, "the Sanchez-effect".

I'll be fine once August hits. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth after this disease of team imploded at the end of year. I'm still trying to recover from that. The media won't let it die, will hear about it week 1. Can these 2 bozo's (Sanch and Holmes) "work". Both this jackasses are getting paid what? around 150million combined and this is what were dealing with?

Ugh!

The next time I hear one of his " The Jets are going to be a great team this year" or " The Jets are coming babe" comments my heads going burst.

ahhhhhh Ok I'm done.

Posted Image

#13 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Just a few weeks ago you were behind Rex, now you are against him?
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 27 February 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Just a few weeks ago you were behind Rex, now you are against him?

Nah I'm not against Rex but I am sh*tting on him right now. After all he's been through with this team over the last 3 years you'd figure he'd learn or change his demeanor. NOPE! I heard a couple press conferences and he just doesn't have a clue. To me he's coming off like a babbling idiot now. It was fun for a couple years but now its redundant.

Look I support Rex, however I'm not blind or green either. He's got a lot of work to do but judging from his pressers he still hasn't gotten a clue and frankly, that scares me.

#15 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 27 February 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

Nah I'm not against Rex but I am sh*tting on him right now. After all he's been through with this team over the last 3 years you'd figure he'd learn or change his demeanor. NOPE! I heard a couple press conferences and he just doesn't have a clue. To me he's coming off like a babbling idiot now. It was fun for a couple years but now its redundant.

Look I support Rex, however I'm not blind or green either. He's got a lot of work to do but judging from his pressers he still hasn't gotten a clue and frankly, that scares me.

Really? because he just came out in a presser and said how he wasn't going to promise anything and that he was wrong for guaranteeing a SB last year. The only thing he really made clear was that they would be a team next year, he knows how important team chemistry is.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

No one was a bigger supporter of Rex Ryan then me. I haven't given up on him. I'm just alarmed from what I saw in his presser. He did say how the superbowl guarantee had a bad effect, he has taken ownership of this situation but the "oh my bad" this and "my bad" that is getting extremely tired.

#17 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

A few quick thoughts:

1. Even though Bart Scott's agent insisted Monday he hasn't received permission from the Jets to seek a trade, it sure seems like the two sides are heading to divorce court. The agent, Harold Lewis, said Scott was frustrated last season by his diminished role. It doesn't sound like they're talking reconciliation. Teams usually don't bend over backward to appease aging linebackers with bloated contracts.

2. Even with a $4.2 million guaranteed salary for 2012 (not Mike Tannenbaum's finest renegotiation), I still can't envision Scott returning to the Jets. His play has slipped and the Jets, trying to rebuild locker-room harmony after last season's debacle, can't afford any potential headaches. They will try their hardest to trade him, hoping to salvage the situation by getting a late-round conditional pick.

3. Scott's position -- weak-inside linebacker -- is becoming obsolete. With the proliferation of spread offenses, inside 'backers are being replaced by nickel corners. Late in the season, I asked Scott about his diminished playing time and he said, "It's an adjustment. Football is changing. They're going with more three and four wides, and you want to get another cover guy out there."

4. Scott, 31, slowed down last season and was exposed in pass coverage. The coaches scaled back his role, pulling him on passing downs. He appeared in only 677 snaps after topping the 1,000 mark in each of his first two seasons with the Jets, according to the website Pro Football Focus. Against the run, he's still a solid in-the-box player, but a liability in space.

5. How does this play out? Here are the possibilities: Scott will either a.) Remain with the Jets under his current contract, b.) Take a pay cut to stay in a limited role, c.) Re-work his contract to facilitate a trade, d.) Get cut and walk away with $4.2 million. My money is on d.

6. Until a resolution is reached, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets ugly, Scott trying to shoot his way out of town and the Jets playing hardball. Conceivably, they could wait until July before letting him go, making it harder to find a new team -- the team's only leverage. But I find it hard to believe that Rex Ryan, who is close with Scott, would let it get that far.

7. It seems like Scott is trying to pull a Jerricho Cotchery. A year ago, Cotchery was frustrated with his role on offense and let his feelings be known right around the time of the scouting combine. For five months, he begged the Jets to trade or release him, and they finally did at the start of training camp. But be careful what you wish for, Bart, as Cotchery ended up signing a minimum contract and playing sparingly.

8. What about a trade? Seems highly unlikely ... unless he agrees to restructure his contract to make it more palatable for a new team. Why would Scott do that? After seeing what happened to Cotchery, he might be willing to leave some money on the table to ensure a soft landing in a hand-picked destination -- i.e. the Giants or the Ravens, his former team.

9. Tannenbaum hates to eat guaranteed money, whether it's a player contract or a coach's contract, but he has little choice here. It wouldn't be unprecedented. In 2010, the Jets did it with LG Alan Faneca, swallowing $5.25 million -- which probably didn't make owner Woody Johnson too happy.

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users