NYJetsFan.com Forums: Hayden Smith Signs With Jets - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:07 PM) Rocking the atletico kit today 4-0 THE RAUL INFLUENCE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:15 PM) Haha you should make that into some kind of logo and put it in your sig
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:15 PM) Sig***
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:19 PM) TEH RAUL INFLUENCE
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:29 PM) LUDOGRETS
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:34 PM) LUDOGORETS
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) TEH IZDIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) SUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) FOR
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) THE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) DUCK
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 November 2014 - 09:32 PM) One of these days one of you are going to type it too fast and say "Suck the Duck".
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 09:41 PM) Hahaha
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:45 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:04 AM) TEH POINT
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 11:14 AM) happy thanksgiving everyone!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:53 PM) I hope Dirty Sanchez gets beat by the Cowgirls even though I would prefer to see a tie so neither team wins
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:00 PM) Look at what a great system can do for a QB, Sanchez looks like a different QB with the Eagles.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:00 PM) Scanning the field and making quick decisions, I like how Chip has Sanchez throwing on the run which he was always great at.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:01 PM) I really hope we finally bring in a good offensive minded coach.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:45 PM) I really can't wait for this season to be done and over with
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 02:14 PM) SUCK THE DUCK!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 02:14 PM) WOOOOOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 02:14 PM) Happy Mr_Jet?
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:18 PM) Ray Rice has been reinstated!
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:19 PM) Sign him!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:28 PM) Can he pass block?
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Hayden Smith Signs With Jets Rugby player projects as TE

#21 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postsantana, on 03 April 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

He looks like witten

But you are right you need a legit qb to make a TE a somebody

Keller might never have one.

#22 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 04 April 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Keller might never have one.

Keller is a nobody. If we had Brady or Manning then he would be a nobody who had a great second or third year and then signed a disgusting contract with Washington and ended up on a milk carton.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#23 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 04 April 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Keller is a nobody. If we had Brady or Manning then he would be a nobody who had a great second or third year and then signed a disgusting contract with Washington and ended up on a milk carton.

I disagree.

Give the guy a thrower. Put him with any of the top QB's in the league he'd be a beast. He's a miss match nightmare. People underrate him because he's not in an can utilize him correctly, and he doesn't have a QB that can get him the football enough.

#24 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 04 April 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I disagree.

Give the guy a thrower. Put him with any of the top QB's in the league he'd be a beast. He's a miss match nightmare. People underrate him because he's not in an can utilize him correctly, and he doesn't have a QB that can get him the football enough.

I criticize him because he never gets open and people say he would be elite elsewhere. Well, if you have to be in the right situation, I don't consider you elite. Tony Gonzalez played in multiple offenses and now on multiple teams and looked good. That is a great TE. Much like what people say about Sanchez, if you have to have a perfect storm, you aren't that special.

When I watched the Jets I never saw Keller getting open. His catches he was mostly covered. If he couldn't get open sometimes, I don't see what is so special about him.

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 04 April 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

I criticize him because he never gets open and people say he would be elite elsewhere. Well, if you have to be in the right situation, I don't consider you elite. Tony Gonzalez played in multiple offenses and now on multiple teams and looked good. That is a great TE. Much like what people say about Sanchez, if you have to have a perfect storm, you aren't that special.

When I watched the Jets I never saw Keller getting open. His catches he was mostly covered. If he couldn't get open sometimes, I don't see what is so special about him.

I agree for the most part. Keller is no where near the top 5 TEs in the league but by TE standards he is a solid catcher.
I believe the TE really depends on the play of the QB. Watching Favre utilize keller was very different to how we have seen keller being used the past three years.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#26 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 05 April 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

Keller's greatest weakness to me is the fact he's so inconsistent over the course of a game. He'll start off with two or three catches before going missing for the next two and a half quarters before reappearing as the fourth quarter winds down.

With Smith, it will be interesting to see how he translates. He should be good with the ball in his hands, but it's route running, reading defences and catching in traffic that will be most difficult for him. When you receive the ball in rugby, the entire defence is generally still in front of you because of the need to pass backwards.

#27 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

in 4 years he's never missed a game, never had under 500 yards, and had 850 yards last year and 65 catches. both of which were team high. how can you say he is a nobody?

anyway i'd rather us get someone who can play OLB and rush the passer then a TE
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#28 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

The TE position is evolving faster than defenses in many ways and the position is overall producing better stats than they used to. Two or three TEs used to be considered solid receivers, now at least half the teams have someone who could fit the bill. But what a good receiving TE is needs to be redefined

Fourteen of the top fifty receivers were TEs last year. In 01 there were four. In 02, four. In 03, four. 91? Four. 92...four.

In 01 seven TEs went over 500 yards. Last year there were twenty. Two years ago there were twenty-two.

The position can no longer be judged on being anything special because you broke 500 yards like TEs used to be. Keller is one of a number of TEs who produce good stats, but he isn't elite at his position. TEs still block and he isn't good at that. His receiving stats, while solid, are not exemplary.

The guy is below average in half the job and just slightly above average in the other half. That is what makes a mediocre player.
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 05 April 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

The guy is below average in half the job and just slightly above average in the other half. That is what makes a mediocre player.

The winning quote, right here!

#30 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 05 April 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

The TE position is evolving faster than defenses in many ways and the position is overall producing better stats than they used to. Two or three TEs used to be considered solid receivers, now at least half the teams have someone who could fit the bill. But what a good receiving TE is needs to be redefined

Fourteen of the top fifty receivers were TEs last year. In 01 there were four. In 02, four. In 03, four. 91? Four. 92...four.

In 01 seven TEs went over 500 yards. Last year there were twenty. Two years ago there were twenty-two.

The position can no longer be judged on being anything special because you broke 500 yards like TEs used to be. Keller is one of a number of TEs who produce good stats, but he isn't elite at his position. TEs still block and he isn't good at that. His receiving stats, while solid, are not exemplary.

who do you consider elite? what ETs can you say are hands down overall better? graham might be the best recieving one but he cna't block for shit. Gronk is probably the best overall TE in the NFL right there with whitten. both are great blockers and elite WRs so those 3 i'll say are better then keller and are elite. outside of them who is better then keller?
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#31 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 05 April 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

who do you consider elite? what ETs can you say are hands down overall better? graham might be the best recieving one but he cna't block for shit. Gronk is probably the best overall TE in the NFL right there with whitten. both are great blockers and elite WRs so those 3 i'll say are better then keller and are elite. outside of them who is better then keller?

As a receiver, he is probably top ten. As a blocker he is not even close to any number of TEs. Even as a receiver he has to compete with Gronkowski, Graham, Finley, Witten, Gates...and a few others. Some of those guys are clearly better blockers than him. If he isn't even an average blocking TE, how am I supposed to consider him better overall than a true explosive receiving TE like Vernon Davis or Jermichael Finley?

Maybe Keller is top twenty as a TE, but he isn't top three or five by any stretch of the imagination. He could go somewhere with a great line where he never had to block but rarely and they threw the ball a lot and succeed and look great, but anywhere he has to block he is going to be obviously not special.
Posted Image

#32 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

He's an H-Back, not a TE.

• (2 Pages)
  • +