Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets lose by 1 to pats possibly Rex's last home game
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:29 PM) 4
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:30 PM) how do u know for sure
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:30 PM) im just asking
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:31 PM) Look at my damn draft update page
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:31 PM) I did
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:31 PM) How do u know it didn't change tho
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:31 PM) Is head to head a tie breaker?
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:33 PM) did you even read it? if you did you would no there is no f***ing head to head for the fdraft
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:33 PM) thats only for playoffs. Head to head isnt even in the draft equation
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:33 PM) RIGHT!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:34 PM) So us and Oak are 3-12 who is 3 and who is 4
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:34 PM) Schedule strength
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:35 PM) So we have to add it up
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:35 PM) We have played 12-3 NE 2 times
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:35 PM) Oakland is 5 with win we are 4
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:35 PM) and we played GB 12-3 and DET 12-3
santana Icon : (Today, 07:35 PM) DID YOU EVEN READ IT!?!? GOSHH
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:36 PM) Why do I even try?
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:36 PM) Take your meds GG
santana Icon : (Today, 07:36 PM) I KNOW??? WHY TRY WHY DO ANYTHING GOSHHH
santana Icon : (Today, 07:36 PM) Rob relax
santana Icon : (Today, 07:36 PM) Christ
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) I don't take meds I'm not a psycho
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) I'm even keeled and I love getting rises out of you all
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) well smoke a bowl then
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) I'm cool as a cucumber
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) I don't have $ to buy any weed right now
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) business is slow and I got other things to worry about
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) Game not over yet
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) but I'm still cool as a cucumber
santana Icon : (Today, 07:39 PM) Who declared cucumbers cool
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:40 PM) cucumbers are cool cause I said so
santana Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) And you said so because you're cool as a cucumber
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) That was a stupid penalty
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) yup
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) I'm mad chill
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:42 PM) he got hammered
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:42 PM) I'm not as cool as the other side of the pillow though cause that is gay as f***
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:43 PM) So what are you saying? You ride cucumbers?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:44 PM) nope but cucumbers are great on sandwiches and sandwiches are f***ing awesome
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:45 PM) and they can be fermented and become pickles which is always great on sandwiches and I already said it sandwiches are f***ing awesome
santana Icon : (Today, 07:46 PM) He's got a point
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:47 PM) of course I do I'm moderator material
santana Icon : (Today, 07:47 PM) Where's the studs and duds thread
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:48 PM) I bring shit to the table that noone else does cause well I'm f***ing awesome just like sandwiches
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Coples Highlights And Specs

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

he can sure hit

Jets select North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples with No. 16 pick
BY MANISH MEHTA

Amid a wild start to the NFL draft that included one trade after another, the typically trade-happy Jets uncharacteristically didn’t budge before grabbing one of the most intriguing players on the board. Rex Ryan & Co. selected North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples, widely regarded as the best – and most confounding – pass rusher in the draft with the 16th pick in the first round on Thursday night. The 6-6, 284-pound Coples, whose drawn comparisons to former UNC great Julius Peppers, possesses all the requisite physical tools to thrive, but his decline in production his senior season gave his critics pause for concern.

The Jets weren’t overly concerned. Ryan will use Coples, who had 17 ½ sacks the past two seasons, primarily as a hand-in-the-dirt 3-4 left defensive end rather than a stand-up outside linebacker.

“He’s probably athletic enough to stand up and play linebacker,” Ryan said. “(But) that’s not what we brought him here to do.”

Coples put up eye-popping numbers (10 sacks) as a left defensive tackle in North Carolina’s 4-3 scheme after a pair of defensive lineman were ruled ineligible for accepting cash from agents for the 2010 season by the NCAA. He had an inconsistent senior season when he moved to right defensive end.

Ryan believes that Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson, who were classmates at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia five years ago, will fortify Gang Greens’ interior pass rush.

“It is a lot harder to rush a passer from a 3-4 end,” Ryan said. “Some guys cause production. I think Quinton and Muhammad both cause production.… It’s tougher down there. We were at our best when we had a guy like Shaun Ellis moving inside and rushing the passer… The old saying was that the tackle’s job was to push the quarterback back and the outside guy’s job is to push the quarterback forward. With this addition, we’ll push that quarterback back a little bit.”

Ryan was impressed with Coples’ athleticism and endurance when he put him through a workout at UNC’s Pro Day.

“Going through all the defensive line drills, he was not winded,” Ryan said. “I wanted to push him. I wanted to see how this guy would compete thru the drills and put him through drills that he wasn’t familiar with, which was linebacker drills… I couldn’t get him tired.”

Ryan likened Coples to Ellis and Trevor Pryce, who succeeded as interior pass rusher for him.

“To get rewarded and be a Jet, it's unbelievable," said Coples, who made a visit to the Jets last week. "(Ryan) told me if I was there at 16, he was going to take me... no matter what."

"I'm just working hard to be the best athlete as possible in the NFL as possible," he added. "I think I'll be great for the Jets."

Although general manager Mike Tannenbaum admitted that he “did field some calls” and did “monitor activity” for a trade up or down, he said he was happy to select Coples when he was available at No. 16 after the Seahawks made a surprise selection at No. 15 be picking pass rusher Bruce Irvin. The Chargers grabbed South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, who was linked to the Jets, two picks later. The Patriots traded up later in the round to nab Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones, who was also on Gang Green’s radar.

The Jets weren’t worried about the perception that Coples has an inconsistent motor and work ethic.

“The thing you have to do is sit down and talk to the kid and find out where his heart is,” said executive vice president of scouting Joey Clinkscales. “You dig as deep as you can. You do as much background work as you can. You find out his level of play through the years. And we were comfortable with that.”

Said Tannenbaum: “It’s about the culture that we collectively built here. We think we’re adding a good player and a good person to our program.”

The NCAA concluded that Coples didn’t commit any violations by attending a draft party for former teammate Marvin Austin in May.

“With everything (going on) around there, he stayed above the fray,” Clinksclaes said. “He never really got into any trouble. This kid stayed clean through all the transition.”

Pass rush: Good burst off the snap, but his speed and flexibility to dip and rip around the edge as a traditional right defensive end isn't certain. Powerful. Has an excellent bull rush and uses his long arms to keep offensive linemen away from his body to dictate the action. Doesn't possess elite lateral agility or closing speed, but gains ground quickly because of his length. Is a strong drag-down tackler capable of pulling down the quarterback while still engaged with a blocker. Uses his hands well. Features a strong rip move, good swim and anticipation of the cut block, showing the quick hands, feet and balance to sprawl. alert defender who will get his hands up to cloud passing
lanes. Run defense: Lacks the bulk teams are looking for in a three-down defensive tackle. Comes off the snap high but has excellent strength to quickly stand up his opponent. Good hand placement and upper-body strength to stack and shed blocks. Can swim inside, get skinny and beat doubles. Has enough lateral agility and length that running backs can't escape when he's near. Funnels action to teammates. Good lateral agility and balance to play the keys and pursue laterally. Explosion: Explosive strength to rock the offensive lineman back onto his heels. Can generate ferocious hits when he gets some momentum. Strength: Among his best assets. Can easily bull rush most offensive linemen and plow them backward into the pocket. Struggles with leverage when playing defensive tackle and can get pushed off the ball early in the play, but ultimately recovers because of his strength. Tackling: Good drag-down tackler. Can latch on to ballcarriers with just one arm and slow them enough for teammates to clean up the trash. Long arms allow him to "catch" opponents and wrestle them to the ground. Lowers his head too often when making contact. Good effort in lateral pursuit. Will leave his feet and lunge at the ballcarrier, showing the explosiveness to knock his opponent down without wrapping up. Few ballcarriers are able to escape his grasp, long arms and strength. Intangibles: Investigated by the NCAA for attending draft-day parties with former teammates Marvin Austin and Robert Quinn, but was ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing. Added 30 pounds since signing with North Carolina. Immaturity and selfishness apparent when asked to move back inside to defensive tackle in the middle of his senior season; he refused for fear it would hurt his draft stock. NFL Comparison: Julius Peppers, Bears --Rob Rang

Get it done MT
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

If he can be half the player Peppers was, then this will be up there with the Revis and Mangold picks.

#3 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

I apologize to Tanny, apparently this was Rex's doing. sorry for blaming you tanny, this is on Rex's head. :banghead:
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

Well when Revis, Vilma, and Ferguson were drafted I didn't know anything about them and they turned into Pro Bowlers. I also didn't know anything about Robertson and Gholston (which should've been a clue to me considering he went to Ohio State) either. So I don't know what to make of the Coples pick. I guess all we can do is hope for the best with this one.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#5 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

Struggles with leverage when playing defensive tackle and can get pushed off the ball early in the play

That trait concerns me if he is going to be playing DE rather than OLB. Neither Mo Wilk nor DeVito get pushed back, whereas Coples sounds more like a finesse-type player. Given who was on the board at the time there are certainly going to be questions asked (not so many as in Seattle though given they took Bruce Irvin!), but we're just going to have to trust the front office's judgement.
Seeing how many ways we could have gone at #16, there was always going to be second guessing. But at least we took somebody expected to go in the top half of the first round for a long time - unlike Miami. And unlike the Seahawks we didn't go for a selection straight out of left field. There are question marks surrounding Coples, but there's plenty of talent there to be worked with. Lets hope he applies himself and helps take the defence to another level.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users