NYJetsFan.com Forums: Jm05's 2012 Draft Pick Grades - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS LACK OF REDZONE OFFENSE STILL CURSING THE DEFENSE
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:40 PM) it all comes down to this
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:40 PM) David ha ha Nelson is a bum
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:40 PM) why didn't they talk about Kyle Fuler when torched for 51 yards by Salas?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:41 PM) Bullshit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:41 PM) f***
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:41 PM) How the f*** is that not interference
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:41 PM) That's flag 101 never looking back and pushing the WR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 10:41 PM) How is that not PI?
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:41 PM) Never looked for the ball for a second
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:42 PM) Fuck this game fuck the refs fuck this team fuck the season. I'm over this shit
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:42 PM) That's bullshit
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:43 PM) On the bright side we get to play Detroit, San Diego, NE and denver in our next 4 games
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:44 PM) Oh look the refs gave the Jets another timeout. A timeout the Jets didn't even have. SMDH
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:45 PM) Until we get rid of geno smith we are going nowhere. Bottom line. Dude is more erratic than romo
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:45 PM) I'm really not feeling Geno Smith.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:45 PM) Or any other QB in the league. Trade for Sanchez Now!
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:45 PM) We'd be 3-0 with Sanchez
SokeSleezy Icon : (Yesterday, 10:46 PM) Geno's needs to work on his accuracy,Stafford gonna kill us next week smh
XvNukemHighvX Icon : (Yesterday, 10:46 PM) Yeah gonna go with a good old f*** Geno this week. He is still playing better than last year though
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:46 PM) People saying Sanchez sucks keep in mind he never had a chance to play in morningwegs system. He was held back by shottenheimer
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:47 PM) This team will never have a franchise QB. We can't draft them and when we sign or trade for them, they're past their primes.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 PM) well
XvNukemHighvX Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 PM) Because we destoy any promise in our young QBs with our elite offensive support talent.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 PM) TIME TO CHANGE THE DIAPER
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 PM) another game next week
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 PM) 3-0 with Sanchez? Oh god...we've gone there already?
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:49 PM) jets need more talent on O
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:49 PM) and some god damn DBs
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:49 PM) Morninweg's system is get the offense going then throw a monkey wrench into things by putting the backup QB in there and f***ing up the offense's rhythm.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) Yes I went there. Geno spots these teams 7-10 points weekly and has turned the ball in the redzone 3 games in a row. If not for 2 dropped ints geno would have 4 picks. Dude sucks at best
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:51 PM) Then we got Chris ivory running like marshawn lynch out there and they sit him on the bench the whole fourth quarter
XvNukemHighvX Icon : (Yesterday, 10:52 PM) I'd like to use the same excuse I used for Sanchez. QB can't really do shit when your best WR would be a #3 if he was lucky on any other team
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:52 PM) yeah but sanchez was shell shcoked
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 10:52 PM) jets werent fixing him
XvNukemHighvX Icon : (Yesterday, 10:53 PM) Geno will be to after another year or two of this shit.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:53 PM) What's kerleys contract like
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:53 PM) because if he's underpaid I don't see him sticking around
XvNukemHighvX Icon : (Yesterday, 10:54 PM) he only looks good because our O is so bad.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:54 PM) I bet a lot of teams have their eye on him
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:56 PM) Decker doesn't need to play until he is completely healthy
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:58 PM) FIRE IDZIK
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:08 PM) How big was the Sheldon Richardson fumble recovery not being a TD. We quickly went three and out after that
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:43 PM) Idzik better not be stingy this offseason and address the biggest issues we have WR and Secondary
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:47 PM) King mo says he's ok, injury is minor
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:21 AM) As a guy who has been on this site since its inception and is still not a moderator which I guess is cause I'm not part of the rat pack who runs this joint I think GENO should still be the starter.
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Jm05's 2012 Draft Pick Grades Round 1: Quinton Coples

#1 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Quinton Coples left some Jets fans scrambling for information where he would fit in and how we plan to use him.

Strengths:
  • Physically gifted
  • Quick off the ball
  • Versatile (3-4 DE, 4-3 DE or UT)
  • Good against the run, upside rushing the passer
  • Length
  • UPSIDE

Weakness:
  • Work ethic questions
  • Inconsistent motor
  • Technique moving to a 5-tech

My Thoughts:

Probably best suited for a 4-3 system where he can line up as a DE or UT, but he's physically and athletically gifted enough to make a transition to the 3-4. He'll have to learn to use more leverage and his hands better. Technique is pretty much the biggest question for him, he's a tall guy so if he comes out of his stance too high, he can be dislodged which has a much bigger downfall in a 3-4 scheme.

Played more UT for UNC as a Junior and was more productive, which showed he could expose single coverage against lesser talent at C/OG in college. When he moved to DE, he saw more double teams and it slowed down his production a bit. He doesn't have a wide variety of pass rushing moves, but he has the athletic gifts to learn some.

I think ideally the Jets look at him as someone who eventually will be able to play 3 positions, DE and OLB in a 3-4... and UT when we go with 4 down linemen. Something Rex really tends to like in his players. Upside is immensely high, and the downside isn't as low as some people think because he will be taught to play as an end in the 3-4 at first.

Upside: Pro-bowl player who can be moved all over the front 7 to cause havoc.
Downside: Space eater (which are always rostered for a 3-4)

Final Grade: B. Would of preferred a true pass rushing threat off the edge. But the glamour of Coples upside and versatility was too much for the Jets to pass up. I don't hate the pick, especially if we find value at our biggest needs later in the draft.

EDIT: If you compare him to Gholston in my thread, I will delete the post.

#2 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Huge upside and minimal downside, yet you give him a B-? Did you grade him, or grade him on a curve with Ingram still available in mind?

#3 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 27 April 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Huge upside and minimal downside, yet you give him a B-? Did you grade him, or grade him on a curve with Ingram still available in mind?

I gave it a B. It wasn't JUST Ingram on the board that made me really raise eyebrows on the pick, there were other players that I had rated higher on my board, and they were at a position(s) I thought we really needed to upgrade more.

Again, if we can roll off value in the next few rounds, this pick will look a ton better.

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 27 April 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

I gave it a B. It wasn't JUST Ingram on the board that made me really raise eyebrows on the pick, there were other players that I had rated higher on my board, and they were at a position(s) I thought we really needed to upgrade more.

Again, if we can roll off value in the next few rounds, this pick will look a ton better.

Am I losing my shit or did you change the grade from a B- to a B? Not busting your balls, but I swear I thought you wrote B-.

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 27 April 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

ingram is short to play in our system. we'll see if he works out with SD but i think that his hieght was a factor. you want your OLBs to be at least 6-4 and he was 6-1
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 27 April 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

Am I losing my shit or did you change the grade from a B- to a B? Not busting your balls, but I swear I thought you wrote B-.

I had it as a B- with the dash separating my grade from my explanation. Then after your post realized it made it look like a B-

#7 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yeah it definitely has the feel of a luxury pick when the Jets don't have room for luxuries.

I don't hate the pick, by any means, it's just hard to get too excited. And I'll say it again...he's NOT Gholston.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 27 April 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Yeah it definitely has the feel of a luxury pick when the Jets don't have room for luxuries.

I don't hate the pick, by any means, it's just hard to get too excited. And I'll say it again...he's NOT Gholston.

That sums me up. But more importantly, there were players I thought were higher rated, that fit a need. So it made the luxury pick even more interesting to me.

I don't dislike the pick, though.

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 27 April 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

That sums me up. But more importantly, there were players I thought were higher rated, that fit a need. So it made the luxury pick even more interesting to me.

I don't dislike the pick, though.

The fact that it took the full 15 mins to make a pick means the team wasn't ready. I'm willing to be they never expected to have coples and ingram available and rex wanted coples and maybe MT wanted ingram? who knows exactly but in the end we got coples so before everyone writes him off lets see him play
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 27 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

The fact that it took the full 15 mins to make a pick means the team wasn't ready. I'm willing to be they never expected to have coples and ingram available and rex wanted coples and maybe MT wanted ingram? who knows exactly but in the end we got coples so before everyone writes him off lets see him play

I actually thought we were going to miss our pick. What a surprise, this team wasn't prepared to take advantage of an opportunity.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostA1elbow, on 27 April 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

I actually thought we were going to miss our pick. What a surprise, this team wasn't prepared to take advantage of an opportunity.

you can't prepare for everything. imagine if luck and RG3 and richardson were all there for the jets. would they be able to decide? Point is the draft is so hard to plan for because its unpredictable. you never know when a team will reach and others will fall. Rex loved coples and apparently told him if he was there at 16 they are taking him but maybe he didn't expect to have him there? we don't really know but the jets clearly were suprised by the choices they had.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 27 April 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

you can't prepare for everything. imagine if luck and RG3 and richardson were all there for the jets. would they be able to decide? Point is the draft is so hard to plan for because its unpredictable. you never know when a team will reach and others will fall. Rex loved coples and apparently told him if he was there at 16 they are taking him but maybe he didn't expect to have him there? we don't really know but the jets clearly were suprised by the choices they had.

Millions of dollars and months of preparation and they couldn't be prepared for this decision? This isn't the third round and two guys projected to go in the first are hanging around, should we look to move up? This is you have twenty or so guys you should know what you want.

If the team was looking to trade or whatever I understand, but they better not have been unprepared to decide between two guys that filled needs, that they had looked into and were possibly going to be available at their pick.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Well, I hope it wasn't a case of being unprepared but rather fielding calls and looking for last minute deals to get out of the pick.

Manish said he was the top player on their board. I'll go by that, but it would be the first time they've done the BPA approach.

#14 User is online   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

The way the preceding picks went means that the options available were greater than expected, which means that the Coples pick is going to be evaluated in the future not only as to how he pans out himself but how he pans out in comparison to the likes of Melvin Ingram and Chandler Jones, who we passed on. That will be somewhat unfair given that a number of others with a potential need at DE/OLB passed on Ingram and Jones ahead of us too, but it is what it is. We were spoilt for choice, which isn't a bad thing when you're picking in the middle of the first round!
Questions surrounding Coples' work ethic are concerning, and much has been made of his drop off in performance in his senior year. But having seen his senior and junior stats posted in another thread, the difference isn't overly great, which is reassuring.

#15 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 27 April 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Well, I hope it wasn't a case of being unprepared but rather fielding calls and looking for last minute deals to get out of the pick.

Manish said he was the top player on their board. I'll go by that, but it would be the first time they've done the BPA approach.

That's what I've heard, which is why I wonder what the delay was. Either they had a last minute rethink on who they wanted, or they weren't so sold on him that they were unwilling to trade back. But as no one else moved up, I wonder what was going on.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostA1elbow, on 27 April 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

That's what I've heard, which is why I wonder what the delay was. Either they had a last minute rethink on who they wanted, or they weren't so sold on him that they were unwilling to trade back. But as no one else moved up, I wonder what was going on.

Yeah. I agree, combined with the fact that we haven't been a 'BPA' team, there was probably a discussion going on in the room about who to pick.

#17 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 27 April 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

ingram is short to play in our system. we'll see if he works out with SD but i think that his hieght was a factor. you want your OLBs to be at least 6-4 and he was 6-1

You should IMMEDIATELY apply for a scouting job because you sound like those old school guys. Height has nothing to do with it! he isn't a midget. Our system needs pass rushers, doesn't matter what height. Dwight Freeney dropped cus he was 6'1" and he is one of the best pass rushers of his time! Stop using lame excuses.

P.S. Coples gets a D for Dewayne Robertson . . . see what I did there? No mention of the other guy that he is. :hysterical:
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 27 April 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

I take the scouting comment back, ud fail the interview. RGIII and Trent Richardson isn't even a hard decision. If the Jets were sitting and had to decide which one and couldn't trade out, as rediculously unlikely scenario as this is, you take RGIII immediately. And I am not saying this cus I hate Sanchez but because RGIII's value is so rediculously greater than Richardson's that you should be exiled from the country if you didn't pull the trigger on RGIII.

RGIII is a high valued qb. Even if you decide not to start him on your own team, his trade value is out of this world (see what the redskins payed for him). That is why you draft the best player available, because even if you cant use him, you can still get better value for him from someone else. Sure you get the no. 1 rb in the draft with Richardson(according to most pre-draft rankings, not necessarily my own thoughts). But that is nowhere close to the value of RGIII to make it worth considering taking Richardson over him.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostEliteJets, on 27 April 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

They tried moving back and couldn't...we could be the hawks and take Bruce Irvin.... I like this pick, liked it a month ago and liked it last night

Where did you hear that? Because apparently the Jets had a team to deal with to trade back if a guy they didn't like didn't fall to them, but they ended up being in a spot where there was guys they liked that fell.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Don't put too much stock in how long it takes to make a pick, the Jets were prepared for it. According to Tony Pauline, he called Ingram's agent when the Jets were on the clock and they immediately said that the Jets were going Coples. The Jets knew who their guy was there.
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users