NYJetsFan.com Forums: 115's Draft Grades For The Jets - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets hire Maccagnan as GM and Bowles as HC. Who's starting the billboard fundraiser?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 04:13 PM) MORE TURNOVER
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 06:05 PM) I'm loving all these additions to the JETS coaching staff
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 06:06 PM) I can't wait to see what Maccagnan does in Free Agency and in the draft
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 07:40 PM) @AlbertBreer
The Jets are hiring Bears nat'l scout Rex Hogan as their director of college scouting. Chicago has released him from his contract
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 07:40 PM) @AlbertBreer 14m14 minutes ago
The Jets are also hiring Rams scout Brian Heimerdinger to a prominent front-office role. St. Louis let him out of his deal.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 07:48 PM) Heimerdinger is our director of player personnel now
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:12 PM) That is Mike Heimerdinger's son who used to be our OC in 05
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:12 PM) hopefully his son isn't as horrible as his pop was at play calling
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:17 PM) Everyone looks like a bad playcaller when you have no QB and have no talent
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:18 PM) When Heimerdinger was our OC it was when we had a ton of injuries on offense, were down to our 4th or 5th string QB
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:42 PM) FIRE HOGAN
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:42 PM) FIRE HEIMERDINGER
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:47 PM) STFU Harlem you are f***ing getting real annoying with this FIRE bullshit
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 09:13 PM) I thought you didn't pay attention to me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 09:14 PM) You aaaaaare the wind beneath my wiiiiiiiiiings
a1elbow2.0 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 09:33 PM) I wonder if any possible new members come here, see no new posts for days and these about box conversations and wonder how the f*** this site is operational
MikeGangGree... Icon : (25 January 2015 - 12:22 AM) Would u rather FIRE EVERYONE or SUCK FOR THE DUCK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (25 January 2015 - 05:20 PM) Looks like we are having a blizzard the next 2 days over here.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 January 2015 - 06:50 PM) My boss still said to come in lol
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 January 2015 - 06:50 PM) Possibility for midday dismissal though
Chadforpresi... Icon : (25 January 2015 - 09:52 PM) FIRE HARLEM
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 January 2015 - 01:11 AM) FIRE YOU
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 12:07 PM) FIRE NYJETSFAN.COM
azjetfan Icon : (26 January 2015 - 05:36 PM) this site has become dismal.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 January 2015 - 06:47 PM) Thanks Obama.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 January 2015 - 06:49 PM) But really for all of you complaining about the site. What is there to talk about? We have a new GM and HC that we don't know how good or bad they'll be yet. So there really isn't much to talk about with the draft still months away.
azjetfan Icon : (26 January 2015 - 09:59 PM) Even I can't blame Obama :drinks:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 11:42 PM) It could be worse
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 11:42 PM) we could be Phinzrage
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 11:43 PM) We got nothing to talk about
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 09:43 AM) HIRE MR JET
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 11:17 AM) There are some good OGs available in FA, we have to sign one
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 11:18 AM) Willie Colon was rated as one of the worst in football last season. So was Winters. Oday shows promise
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 11:18 AM) Orlando Franklin, Mike Iupati, Clint Boling. Should sign one
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 12:34 PM) Franklin or Iupati would be great
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 01:46 PM) hey reg how did you make out in this storm?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 01:47 PM) we got slammed with snow but the wind didn't knock out our power so I made out pretty unscathed here in RI
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 January 2015 - 01:14 PM) What sucks is that the NFL isn't going to throw the book at those CHEATS even though they may be found GUILTY
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 January 2015 - 08:54 PM) This place is a GHOST TOWN
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:24 AM) Nothing really to talk about in the offseason
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:20 PM) Rex bashed Idzik in a interview today lol
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:21 PM) Says Woody didn't want to fire him but had to because of 4 wins. That Idzik had hidden agendas and a plan that never worked.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:26 PM) I expect FA is going to be busy for us, I think public pressure forces them to make a splash because Maccagnan has to prove hes no Idzik and lose out on most FAs. We also have a lot of holes and could fix some with signings
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:19 PM) THE BEETS
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:05 PM) https://youtube.com/...h?v=xNEM3WUfGjY
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

115's Draft Grades For The Jets

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,699
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

1st Round (pick 16) Quinton Coples DE
Positives: A rare speed size strength combo and probably the best athlete in the draft. produced in college not just a workout warrior
Negatives: questions about his motor and love for the game
Grade A
Great value here, nobody thought he'd fall out of the top 10. Rex will use this guy all over the field
Compares to: Peppers, Pierre-paul

2nd Round (pick 43) Stephen Hill WR
Positives: 4.3 speed and 6-4 with leaping ability and toughness and ability to block
negatives: didn't play in a pro style offense, not a polished route runner yet
Grade A
Hill was supposed to be a late 1st rounder and the jets got him in the middle of the 2nd round. He will take pressure off holmes and give the jets a game breaker we haven't had since moss
Compares to: mike wallace, calvin johnson

3rd Round (pick 77) Demario Davis ILB
Positives: Speed a LBer that runs like a safety. also very strong
negatives: very raw. too fast and overran plays sometimes
Grade C
Davis looks like he was drafted to unseat bart scott in 2013, he has alot to learn first. he was a reach in the 3rd round but since the jets had no picks in the 4th or 5th they had to take him there if they couldn't trade back. probably would have been available later. He should start on special teams from day 1 and sub in later. he has the ability to cover TEs on the NFL level

6th round
josh bush S
Terrance Ganaway RB
Robert Griffin G
Grade A
can't complain about anything this late in the draft. all you can do i try to find a gem. we got a safety that rated as a 3rd round grade added another tough hard nosed RB and a Guard for o-line depth. but now we have a log jam at RB and I expect 1 of them not to make it. could be connor, Ganaway or Powell.

7th Round
Antonio Allen SS
Jordan White WR
Grade B
Again in this round you can only hope to find a gem. Allen could compete for a roster spot since we are weak at safety. right now we only have 2 on the roster in smith and landry and we drafted 2 more so I expect both to make it. Would be nice to bring back leonhard if he is healthy. White isn't gonna be a game breaker but could catch on as the 5th WR. should battle turner for that

Overall Grade A- (not an average) Would have been an A if it wasn't for the reach in the 3rd round on davis.
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#2 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 7,048
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 30 April 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

he has the ability to cover TEs on the NFL level


How did you come to this conclusion
0

#3 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 30 April 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

How did you come to this conclusion


Fromt nflscout.com "Davis could be a rush backer from the inside spot in the Jets 3-4. Can help cover Patriots TEs Hernandez and Gronkowski"
0

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Height: 6-2. Weight: 235.
40 Time: 4.53.
Bench: 32.
Vertical: 38.5. Broad: 10-4.
Arm: 32.
Projected Round (2012): 3-5.
4/25/12: Davis recorded 69 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss, three sacks and one interception in 2011. He was a late addition to the Senior Bowl, but Davis held his own against the better competition. He is fast and has some physicality.

At the Combine, Davis showed off his rare combination of skills. He sprinted a very fast 40 time and was one of the leaders on the bench press. His vertical and broad jump measurements were excellent and showed his explosion. At his pro day, Davis had another quality performance. He is a sleeper prospect who could be a big reward in the NFL.
0

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,699
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 30 April 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Fromt nflscout.com "Davis could be a rush backer from the inside spot in the Jets 3-4. Can help cover Patriots TEs Hernandez and Gronkowski"


just from various scouting reports. I had to look him up. honestly i didn't know crap about the guy. Out of everyone we drafted the only one i studied up on was hill.
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 30 April 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

just from various scouting reports. I had to look him up. honestly i didn't know crap about the guy. Out of everyone we drafted the only one i studied up on was hill.


No one knows anything about him because anyone with any type of life doesn't watch the Sun Belt.
0

#7 User is offline   triple3s Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 863
  • Joined: 11-April 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 30 April 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Overall Grade A- (not an average) Would have been an A if it wasn't for the reach in the 3rd round on davis.


My problem with our draft is that we have two glaring needs that didn't get addressed. That is OLB, and RT (And can throw safety in there because I'm not sure who our starting free safety is right now). and we took players that may be good, but don't fill those glaring immediate needs.

at DE we have devito who i really like and wilkerson who we just drafted last year. I thought we were ok at DE. Of course if Coples is as good as Rex thinks he is, then it will be a great pick but I think that was a pick that could have gone to another position in more need.

I like the hill pick. I'm ok with the Davis pick but probably would have liked us to go RT there because we need a starter immediately there. The fact that we are going into this season with hunter at RT again is beyond my comprehension.

I give our draft a C+ because there seems to be alot of boom or bust. but if some of these guys reach their potential it can be an A draft
0

#8 User is offline   santana Icon

  • I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 7,905
  • Joined: 03-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Posttriple3s, on 30 April 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

My problem with our draft is that we have two glaring needs that didn't get addressed. That is OLB, and RT (And can throw safety in there because I'm not sure who our starting free safety is right now). and we took players that may be good, but don't fill those glaring immediate needs.

at DE we have devito who i really like and wilkerson who we just drafted last year. I thought we were ok at DE. Of course if Coples is as good as Rex thinks he is, then it will be a great pick but I think that was a pick that could have gone to another position in more need.

I like the hill pick. I'm ok with the Davis pick but probably would have liked us to go RT there because we need a starter immediately there. The fact that we are going into this season with hunter at RT again is beyond my comprehension.

I give our draft a C+ because there seems to be alot of boom or bust. but if some of these guys reach their potential it can be an A draft


The oline depth and performance last year was very poor
Also bill Callahan is no longer coaching

I don't see how the line will improve this year
This probably deserves a topic all on its own
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat
0

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,699
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Posttriple3s, on 30 April 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

My problem with our draft is that we have two glaring needs that didn't get addressed. That is OLB, and RT (And can throw safety in there because I'm not sure who our starting free safety is right now). and we took players that may be good, but don't fill those glaring immediate needs.

at DE we have devito who i really like and wilkerson who we just drafted last year. I thought we were ok at DE. Of course if Coples is as good as Rex thinks he is, then it will be a great pick but I think that was a pick that could have gone to another position in more need.

I like the hill pick. I'm ok with the Davis pick but probably would have liked us to go RT there because we need a starter immediately there. The fact that we are going into this season with hunter at RT again is beyond my comprehension.

I give our draft a C+ because there seems to be alot of boom or bust. but if some of these guys reach their potential it can be an A draft


I thought about that too but then i thought its nto about the OLB position as a whole. its about the amount of pressure we can generator without blitzing (3 lineman and 1 LBer rushing only) I love devito but he isn't a pass rusher. neither is wilkerson. If coples can get sacks and take on 2 blockers every play and pohua takes on 2 blockers and wilkerson takes a blocker that leaves the LBer ruhsing against a TE or safety. Also maybin is a wildcard. he might break out for us. Rex watches the film and maybe he thought the lack of pressure was due to the d-line more then the OLBs. also on passing down I expect to see coples playing as a 5th d-lineman which is essentially the way we used pace and maybin last year. I did want massie in the 3rd but i guess the jets really like davis. Also I know vlad has sucked so far but he was a 2nd round pick. maybe he is ready to start soon?


View Postsantana, on 30 April 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

The oline depth and performance last year was very poor
Also bill Callahan is no longer coaching

I don't see how the line will improve this year
This probably deserves a topic all on its own


the big o-line issue last year was RT (not addresed) and lack of depth when mangold went down (not addressed) but were set at LG, C, and LT for a long time and at RG for a year or so more. we only need depth and a RT. plus remember june cuts will come around. maybe they will sign a proven vet? the off season isn't over yet
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

View Posttriple3s, on 30 April 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

My problem with our draft is that we have two glaring needs that didn't get addressed. That is OLB, and RT (And can throw safety in there because I'm not sure who our starting free safety is right now). and we took players that may be good, but don't fill those glaring immediate needs.

at DE we have devito who i really like and wilkerson who we just drafted last year. I thought we were ok at DE. Of course if Coples is as good as Rex thinks he is, then it will be a great pick but I think that was a pick that could have gone to another position in more need.

I like the hill pick. I'm ok with the Davis pick but probably would have liked us to go RT there because we need a starter immediately there. The fact that we are going into this season with hunter at RT again is beyond my comprehension.

I give our draft a C+ because there seems to be alot of boom or bust. but if some of these guys reach their potential it can be an A draft


I hear what you're saying, but I think that the Jets feel like they can fix the OLB spot in-house. We have Maybin, Pace, BT and Ricky Sapp all competing for snaps. Granted that's not exactly murderers row, but if Maybin continues to build on last year and keeps the weight he's added on in the off season, he can be special. I have a feeling that the FO wants to make sure we're not overlooking existing players and spending high picks on guys that will take their snaps away. Coples was clearly BPA on the Jets board. I like MDV as much as anyone, but he has his limitations. Coples has the potential to be a Mario Williams-type rusher (double digit sacks from the 5 technique) and there's no way you pass on that.

The RT is a tricky situation. For starters, Hunter is guaranteed starter money. Ducasse is a high draft pick. There's a lot of pressure to turn either one of them into a serviceable starter. Hunter earned his contract in the playoffs in 2010, where he was as good as anyone. Whether he had a down year last year or is a total bum who got hot for 2 months and cashed in will be determined in camp. Ducasse was always a project and missing camp and OTAs last year while getting shuffled between RG and RT didnt help his learning curve. Him and Hunter will battle it out in OTAs and if come end of camp we still have a hole, then we will sign a cheap vet.
0

#11 User is offline   chocomag Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 195
  • Joined: 11-September 05

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 30 April 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

How did you come to this conclusion

They think he can cover tight ends. I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason they drafted him was their belief that he can cover the TE effectively. Think about it - he is bigger than any safety and runs as fast. Gronkowski eats small safeties for breakfast. If Davis can cover the TE than we have someone special. I don't believe he was brought in to replace Scott. I think the Jets are going to be very unconventional on defense.

Also, the draft ratings should consider Tebow - good or bad. After all, we traded our draft pick for him so he should be part of the assessment.

If we were able to trade all of our draft choices except the 7th round for Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Clay Matthews and Woodsen, would some draft guru say we scored an F for the draft because we only came away with one fat, slow G?
0

#12 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 7,048
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Running fast and being able to play in coverage don't have this much in common.

So sick of hearing "He ran a great 40, he's going to cover TE's"
0

#13 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 30 April 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Running fast and being able to play in coverage don't have this much in common.

So sick of hearing "He ran a great 40, he's going to cover TE's"


It helps to have speed.
0

#14 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,699
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

View Postchocomag, on 30 April 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

They think he can cover tight ends. I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason they drafted him was their belief that he can cover the TE effectively. Think about it - he is bigger than any safety and runs as fast. Gronkowski eats small safeties for breakfast. If Davis can cover the TE than we have someone special. I don't believe he was brought in to replace Scott. I think the Jets are going to be very unconventional on defense.

Also, the draft ratings should consider Tebow - good or bad. After all, we traded our draft pick for him so he should be part of the assessment.

If we were able to trade all of our draft choices except the 7th round for Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Clay Matthews and Woodsen, would some draft guru say we scored an F for the draft because we only came away with one fat, slow G?



View PostJetsman05, on 30 April 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Running fast and being able to play in coverage don't have this much in common.

So sick of hearing "He ran a great 40, he's going to cover TE's"


like i said honestly I have no clue. never saw him play or anything. never studied him or watched anything. remember boss baily? fast has hell LBer but sucked. this guy could be trash. honestly i'm so happy with the 1st 2 picks the rest of the draft if we get anything out of it is gravy. I have visions of hill burning defenses and coples throwing LTs aside to kill brady. the 3rd round LBer to me is icing on the cake if anything. if he doesn't make it through camp i still love this draft
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,073
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

The Jets said they were going to use him on sub packages to help bring more speed and coverage ability. And the breakdown of him said he could cover. I don't get why people are giving the pick a bad grade when he actually does fill a need and the Jets love him. A lot of people felt like he was a underrated prospect and one draft site I go to gave him a 3rd round grade. We desperately needed to add another ILB, Bart Scott has been declining and he won't be back after the season.
Posted Image
0

#16 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,699
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 30 April 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

The Jets said they were going to use him on sub packages to help bring more speed and coverage ability. And the breakdown of him said he could cover. I don't get why people are giving the pick a bad grade when he actually does fill a need and the Jets love him. A lot of people felt like he was a underrated prospect and one draft site I go to gave him a 3rd round grade. We desperately needed to add another ILB, Bart Scott has been declining and he won't be back after the season.


its the ghost of anthony schlegal
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#17 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,073
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 30 April 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

its the ghost of anthony schlegal



Now that pick was just dumb... Davis actually has NFL talent.
Posted Image
0

#18 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,699
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 30 April 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Now that pick was just dumb... Davis actually has NFL talent.


mangini era had some bad picks and TB sucked
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#19 User is offline   triple3s Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 863
  • Joined: 11-April 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 30 April 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

I hear what you're saying, but I think that the Jets feel like they can fix the OLB spot in-house. We have Maybin, Pace, BT and Ricky Sapp all competing for snaps. Granted that's not exactly murderers row, but if Maybin continues to build on last year and keeps the weight he's added on in the off season, he can be special. I have a feeling that the FO wants to make sure we're not overlooking existing players and spending high picks on guys that will take their snaps away. Coples was clearly BPA on the Jets board. I like MDV as much as anyone, but he has his limitations. Coples has the potential to be a Mario Williams-type rusher (double digit sacks from the 5 technique) and there's no way you pass on that.

The RT is a tricky situation. For starters, Hunter is guaranteed starter money. Ducasse is a high draft pick. There's a lot of pressure to turn either one of them into a serviceable starter. Hunter earned his contract in the playoffs in 2010, where he was as good as anyone. Whether he had a down year last year or is a total bum who got hot for 2 months and cashed in will be determined in camp. Ducasse was always a project and missing camp and OTAs last year while getting shuffled between RG and RT didnt help his learning curve. Him and Hunter will battle it out in OTAs and if come end of camp we still have a hole, then we will sign a cheap vet.


you guys are going to die from holding your breath as you wait for Ducasse to be something. That guy is terrible. I've honestly seen enough of him. Maybe Hunter can get there but last year I just saw a guy who didnt' have the quickness and reaction time to play full time. I don't know if thats something you can coach up.

As far as the OLB's. Maybin is our biggest asset. Pace and BT are fading fast to me. we'll see though. taking BPA in the draft sometimes is much better than drafting for need, so maybe it will work out.
0

#20 User is offline   triple3s Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 863
  • Joined: 11-April 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 30 April 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

I thought about that too but then i thought its nto about the OLB position as a whole. its about the amount of pressure we can generator without blitzing (3 lineman and 1 LBer rushing only) I love devito but he isn't a pass rusher. neither is wilkerson. If coples can get sacks and take on 2 blockers every play and pohua takes on 2 blockers and wilkerson takes a blocker that leaves the LBer ruhsing against a TE or safety. Also maybin is a wildcard. he might break out for us. Rex watches the film and maybe he thought the lack of pressure was due to the d-line more then the OLBs. also on passing down I expect to see coples playing as a 5th d-lineman which is essentially the way we used pace and maybin last year. I did want massie in the 3rd but i guess the jets really like davis. Also I know vlad has sucked so far but he was a 2nd round pick. maybe he is ready to start soon?




the big o-line issue last year was RT (not addresed) and lack of depth when mangold went down (not addressed) but were set at LG, C, and LT for a long time and at RG for a year or so more. we only need depth and a RT. plus remember june cuts will come around. maybe they will sign a proven vet? the off season isn't over yet


I would have been satisfied with getting Massie. Vlad is a bust. the sooner we accept that, the sooner we can move on. I'm not totally mad at the Davis pick because Scott is on a decline and also I feel that he will play this year to keep Scott Fresh/ and also be a better pass defender than Scott. That may work out well for us.
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users