NYJetsFan.com Forums: Bounty-Gate - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (27 July 2014 - 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:49 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:16 AM) any news on Amaro? havent seen anything on twitter.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Bounty-Gate Vilma suspended for the year

#1 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,256
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

So the (presumably) final Bounty-gate punishments have been announced, and ex-Jet Jonathan Vilma gets suspended for a year without pay. Meanwhile, Anthony Hargrove gets benched for 8 games, Will Smith 4 and Scott Fujita 3.

Vilma's punishment does not seem commensurate to the others, although he was the key player heading up the scheme. But whether he'll appeal it and get support from the NFLPA is another question. Can the players' union really justify supporting another player who has been found guilty of participating in a scheme where injuring other members was the goal? You'd hope that Goodell will consider being flexible and potentially reduce the punishment based on Vilma's behaviour during the ban; presumably there will be meetings between the two over the course of Vilma's suspension, and if he shows enough remorse (the same with Gregg Williams and, maybe, Payton) you would think he could be up for early reinstatement.

I guess it sucks to be a Saints fan right now. But at least there's some closure.

Whether this is a tipping point for the players that sees them come out expressing their discontent with Goodell's discipline policy more often is something to look out for though. Thursday night it was all hugs and high fives with the first round picks invited to the draft. Less than a week later and the Commissioner slams down his iron fist again. Two-faced Roger?!
0

#2 User is offline   The Reverend Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,181
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Roger Goodell should just get it over with and slap a swastika on the NFL logo.
Sal Paolantonio commenting on the difference in the Ryan and Mangini atmospheres in the building:
"It's like going from Alcatraz to Dorney Park."

It is better to destroy than create what is meaningless, so the picture will not be finished.
erikcoleman#26
0

#3 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,883
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

I am OK with it. I do not know all the facts but from what I have heard he was a major piece to making the incentive. Basicly he was paying to knock players out of games possibly seasons.
Posted Image
0

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,883
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Although, Beli was caught cheating red handed and was treated much more tactfully.
Posted Image
0

#5 User is offline   MoMilk1991 Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,946
  • Joined: 10-March 07
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 May 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Although, Beli was caught cheating red handed and was treated much more tactfully.


Goodell's entire time as commish has had a focus on player safety though.
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,883
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostMoMilk1991, on 02 May 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Goodell's entire time as commish has had a focus on player safety though.

Good Point
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,558
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 May 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Although, Beli was caught cheating red handed and was treated much more tactfully.


Saints didn't cheat, what they did do was purposely set out to injure other players. All goddell has cared about is player safety and this was his chance to make an example
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#8 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,228
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

I don't disagree with the suspensions but I do think it's ridiculous that Goodell is the judge, jury, and executioner. There needs to be some sort of appeals court within the NFL. A court or board made up of like a former coach, former players, and the NFLPA president, and Goodell himself. A NFL version of the Supreme Court. A suspension like this one just doesn't punish the Saints and their players. It's going to punish the Packers and Browns too since Hargrove plays for the Packers and the Fujita plays for the Browns now and those two teams had nothing to do with this.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions


Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,883
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 May 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

I don't disagree with the suspensions but I do think it's ridiculous that Goodell is the judge, jury, and executioner. There needs to be some sort of appeals court within the NFL. A court or board made up of like a former coach, former players, and the NFLPA president, and Goodell himself. A NFL version of the Supreme Court. A suspension like this one just doesn't punish the Saints and their players. It's going to punish the Packers and Browns too since Hargrove plays for the Packers and the Fujita plays for the Browns now and those two teams had nothing to do with this.

Yea I agree. Maybe like a board made up of former players, owners ect.. I get the reason why they give him the power and I am sure he thinks he is doing the right thing but one man should not have all that power. I wonder how he liked all the boos at the draft?
Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,256
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 May 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I don't disagree with the suspensions but I do think it's ridiculous that Goodell is the judge, jury, and executioner. There needs to be some sort of appeals court within the NFL. A court or board made up of like a former coach, former players, and the NFLPA president, and Goodell himself. A NFL version of the Supreme Court. A suspension like this one just doesn't punish the Saints and their players. It's going to punish the Packers and Browns too since Hargrove plays for the Packers and the Fujita plays for the Browns now and those two teams had nothing to do with this.


Agreed that there needs to be an arbitration panel independent of the Commissioner to deal with these kind of things, which are serious cases that deserve a group of people without a vested interest to oversee them.
I don't disagree with the players being suspended either, but Vilma's punishment seems excessive compared to those handed out to the other three players, while reports on ESPN.com suggest that other players involved - some who put up cash for the specific bounties - have gotten off free primarily because they are not big names. If true, you can't have show trials and punishments need to be consistent otherwise you won't convince people that justice has been served.
0

#11 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,381
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Darren Sharper said he was pissed about it because when he was with the Saints players were never told that the Saints org had been warned about the bounty programs.

I think that that is a stupid excuse personally. For one the players would never openly admit if they ever were told about the warnings anyway (I sure as hell wouldn't admit to it if I were in there shoes)and two it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that having a bounty for injuring opposing players is wrong in every aspect. Its basic common sense.

If I set up a reward system for people in my neighborhood to try to injure someone or maybe a group of people they should have enough of an IQ to know its just as wrong for them to try to injure someone for money as it is for me setting up a bounty program.

I thought Tim Hasselbecks argument was totally idiotic about if a soldier was in the military and was told by a superior to do something that was unethical or against human rights that the soldier would blindly follow it without knowing its wrong. If things were brought to light the soldier would face penalties for his actions just like the superior.


They deserved what they got period.You play with fire you get burned.

If I were a player on an opposing team and was taken out of the game by injury by the Saints during the bounty period Id have a hell of a lawsuit against the NFL, The Saints org, the coaches, and all the players named.
0

#12 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,890
  • Joined: 07-October 09

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

If I were the Saints I'd make Goodell bring out hard evidence that they were "looking to injure" players and take them out of games. Guys intend to hit hard every game and their teams pay them to do so.

The whole bounty thing is Goodell BS to cover up...where is gmany?
Posted Image


Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to
0

#13 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,536
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

The fact that Hitler, I mean Goodell is handing out suspensions is a good thing, BUT the way he has gone about it, is ridiculous in that he deliberately waited until AFTER the draft is bull$hit. The Saints as an organization NEED to appeal these suspensions as a whole in that they distinctly put the team at a competitive disadvantage because the "commish" purposely waited until after the draft to cause holes in the team knowing full well what his intentions were prior to the draft & not affording the team the opportunity to address these holes via the draft. I understand the need for player safety & all but this is the NFL. Not the lingerie league.

The players being suspended should demand evidence that they were out to injure anyone rather than just make plays. Vilma being suspended for an entire season without pay? What evidence was used to demand such a harsh penalty?
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#14 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,890
  • Joined: 07-October 09

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 02 May 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

The fact that Hitler, I mean Goodell is handing out suspensions is a good thing, BUT the way he has gone about it, is ridiculous in that he deliberately waited until AFTER the draft is bull$hit. The Saints as an organization NEED to appeal these suspensions as a whole in that they distinctly put the team at a competitive disadvantage because the "commish" purposely waited until after the draft to cause holes in the team knowing full well what his intentions were prior to the draft & not affording the team the opportunity to address these holes via the draft. I understand the need for player safety & all but this is the NFL. Not the lingerie league.

The players being suspended should demand evidence that they were out to injure anyone rather than just make plays. Vilma being suspended for an entire season without pay? What evidence was used to demand such a harsh penalty?


Vilma absolutely needs to appeal. He basically just got a $3.5 million dollar fine. f***ing ridiculous. Goodell single handily makes me like the NFL less. The game is much worse for having him as emperor.
Posted Image


Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to
0

#15 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,228
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 02 May 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

If I were the Saints I'd make Goodell bring out hard evidence that they were "looking to injure" players and take them out of games. Guys intend to hit hard every game and their teams pay them to do so.

The whole bounty thing is Goodell BS to cover up...where is gmany?


The players do deserve to at least see the evidence being used against them. That is why I think a 7 or 9 member panel/board/court to oversee an appeal process. A player like Vilma who got a really harsh punishment (IMO deservingly so) should be able to have his "day in court" so to speak. A appeals panel made of well respected guys (possibly a woman also to bring another prospective to things like this) to either uphold the commissioner's punishments or veto the commissioner's decision and make the commissioner either revise it or not punish the player or coach at all.

If I was to pick a group of people to be the NFL's appeals panel I would chose people like this.

Tony Dungy (former player and coach)
Marty Schottenheimer (former player and coach)
Curtis Martin (former player)
Kurt Warner (former player)
Ronnie Lott (former player)
Jack Lambert (former player)
Carmen Policy (former GM)
Ron Wolf (former GM)
Condoleezza Rice (U.S. diplomat, NFL fan)

Goodell would have to give the panel all the evidence he used and then the panel would make their decision from there.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions


Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#16 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,890
  • Joined: 07-October 09

  • NFL Team:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Vilma was given one of the harshest punishments ever given. On the other hand, players who knowingly punch (etc) players have gotten as little as a game or just a fine. Jermone Harrison has repeatedly been given fines for hard, but largely, legal hits.

Roger Goodell's punishments are not meant to fit the crime, but to send messages. He gives out punishment as he sees fit to enforce his own personal "laws." This is why the government has three branches with the law-making and law-enforcing branches separate. Judges are not allowed to exceed parameters. He is exceeding what his job allows and it is sad to see the NFLPA roll over repeatedly because they are afraid of appearing to care less about players.

Without the NFL releasing it's alleged research (I say alleged because I think it is highly suspect what the NFL investigates since it seems to solely act in line with Goodell's goals) I can't say exactly if Vilma deserves this steep of a fine. I hope he appeals, because I think outside of real evidence of him seeking to injure players (and I mean injure, not "solid hit" or whatever) there is no justice in this level of punishment.
Posted Image


Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to
0

#17 User is offline   XvNukemHighvX Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 634
  • Joined: 14-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:D.C.

  • NFL Team:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

I don't know I read that all the players involved where given a chance to come forward to the commish and investigators to make statements on their roles in the program. Not a peep came from any of these guys until now. Now that they realized they have been outted they are up in arms about fairness. As far as evidence of injuring people being needed who the hell cares! The fact is they started a pool which bypasses the cap to reward/pay players which is illegal on multiple levels. Whether or not people got hurt is pretty irrelevant as far as punishment goes but player safety is a concern so of course it wil be extreme. Love Vilma to death he was by far my fav Jet when he was here but the dude fucked up and he is lucky to be allowed back to play at all. Didn't the coach who was responsible pretty much get a lifetime ban? Why should the player in charge be any different?
0

#18 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,256
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostA1elbow, on 03 May 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

Vilma was given one of the harshest punishments ever given. On the other hand, players who knowingly punch (etc) players have gotten as little as a game or just a fine. Jermone Harrison has repeatedly been given fines for hard, but largely, legal hits.

Roger Goodell's punishments are not meant to fit the crime, but to send messages. He gives out punishment as he sees fit to enforce his own personal "laws." This is why the government has three branches with the law-making and law-enforcing branches separate. Judges are not allowed to exceed parameters. He is exceeding what his job allows and it is sad to see the NFLPA roll over repeatedly because they are afraid of appearing to care less about players.

Without the NFL releasing it's alleged research (I say alleged because I think it is highly suspect what the NFL investigates since it seems to solely act in line with Goodell's goals) I can't say exactly if Vilma deserves this steep of a fine. I hope he appeals, because I think outside of real evidence of him seeking to injure players (and I mean injure, not "solid hit" or whatever) there is no justice in this level of punishment.


A three day limit in which to appeal, without getting to see the NFL's (read: Roger Goodell's) reasons for imposing the penalty is also ridiculous.

Again, the players and coaches deserve punishing. But any suspension needs to be reasonable and evidence published.
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users